Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well I am sure I will get beat over the head with this one but here goes.

I am still very much on the fence about the Predator deal. They show great potential for sure as the best available head other than the 99 stuff. However everyone I know personally that has one has had some fairly serious reliability issues with them. As in engine killing reliability issues. three of those came from big name Mopar shops. I have a set on the shelf and we have not built anything with them yet. Not so much due to others reliability issues, although that is certainly a concern but more I don't have a car to put one in yet. I also understand there are a number of them out there running really hard. For me my current B1MC runs fine and is plenty for the car I have. we certainly have some left on the table with my current car as far as all out racing is concerned. If I ever get a light car we will look much harder at the Predator deal.

As for th B1 points. Do yo uguys really think a shelf piston and headers will help?? I agree with the marketing plan that has not been the strongest and dont see that changing. These heads have been around OVER 20 years and they still are not very plentiful. So what does one think a set of B1 shelf headers will run ya?? My guess is TTI prices or better due to lack of sales. So why bother for a set of headers that will at best be a compromise. For a few hundred more you can get a much better performing piece that actually fits whatever chassis it is in. Not something you have to dent, move, curse or disassemble most of the car to install.

As for the need for bigger strokers. I will provide a little bit different perspective. Being a .90/super class raer there is a definite need for them here. As much as you all HATE throttle stop racing in this world MPH is king pretty much. Thus the need for these types of RELIABLE decent power strokers. Reliability and repeatability are the keys here. I have a 1050+hp BB Mopar that we rarely have to do anything to. I have not even set the lash this year, just checked it. Chenge the oil occasionally and throw in a set of plugs each year along with a set of valvesprings for good measure. One of my BIG hesitations with the Predator deal is this concern. While slower MPH can and do win here if you look hard you will see the big MPH cars seem to have an advantage, whether perceived or real it is there.

Just my

Can you elaborate on the engine killing reliability issues with the Predator heads?
This is the first time I'm hearing about this.
Thanks

As far as reliability, not sure, but I also know who Al is speaking of..

However, didn't Elvis have serious issues with these at Dragweek??

Has his car ever gone any faster than it did with the 572-13 set up??

If so, by how much?? A tenth?? Seems like a lot of money for that little bit..

Also, how old are the Predator heads?? First version was NRC, and they have to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 years old too.

I would bet that if Elvis had put a set of B1MC's on his ride he would have gone the fastest.. IMO..

That would be interesting to see since he has used both the 572-13's and the Predators..

Maybe just take what we have and put them in the hands of guys with different ideas and see what they come up with..

Chris...

To answer the OP's original question, they dont move enough air without serious work,that's why there is the B1 PSO.

Eddie's issues were never directly related to the Predator head.
He had a lifter come apart and broke a valve,perhaps Sixpackgut can relive his Dragweek experience with Eddie as he was there thru the whole trip.His thread on that was hilarious!!!!
For what it's worth Eddie has been in the 7's with that engine,on pump gas with spray and many street miles.The 572-13 engine got him low 8's, He really does drive that car all over,I can personally attest to that.
As far as age goes,the current moved exhaust valve/improved valve train geometry design has been out since 2006.They are the only canted/splayed valve head for BB Mopar and move more air than all the others except the Stage V Millennium Hemi and the Hemi 99.
I have owned and raced them all,from chapman/bulldogs to b1mc's and each one has it's place in the progression of engine size.You would'nt put a set of 906's on a 655" engine and expect it to make power would you? The heads are just one piece of the puzzle,just like cam or converter or gear or tire size etc, you guy's get my point.
Before I get dismissed as the "Predator Guy" I have and do sell and install other heads besides Predators,If your combo will benefit from 440-1's than that is what I will recommend.If PSO's are what you need,I'm sending you to Chuck and Pete,and so on.
Each head out there has it's place in the equation,that's why it's important to talk to an experienced engine builder before you make any decisions to buy a particular head,bigger is not always better.Rant off,you may now go back to your regulary scheduled programming.