Quote:

Quote:

Read this thread and keep in mind that low compression 440s can be found for between 500 and 750 bucks pretty easy as a starting foundation. Sometimes (but not often) quite a bit less, sometimes more.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

I found a 1974 RV 440 with everything water pump, alternator etc.. with a 727 for $500 and I found a rebuilt 1980’s 360 with 727 for $450 all within a 3 hour drive
I have heard some debate over using a RV big block that there only built for torque not power. what would I need to do to make it mean and is the k member an issue?

Believe it or not the RV big block is the same as a non high performance 440, theres nothing special about it.

There are two kinds of 440s. HP (or High Performance) versions which were rated at 375 horsepower prior to 72. These came in Charger R/Ts, GTXs, Challenger R/Ts, 'Cudas, Coronet R/Ts, and optional in some full size cars. Then there is the non-performance version, the 350 horsepower version prior to 72. This came in full size cars and in your case, RVs(Chrysler New Yorkers, Chrysler 300s, Imperials, some Plymouth Furys, some Dodge Polaras, etc.)

In the later years the compression ratios dropped and emissions equipment was added and the horsepower ratings changed, but the parts are all generally the same. There are two differences between the low performance and high performance version.

The high performance version came with a bigger (but still very small) cam. In 68-70 the low performance version used a Holley 600, which the HP version used an ~750 cfm Carter. Later on they all used Thermoquads. The HP version also had the HP exhaust manifolds and a windage tray. Other than that the engines are identical.

You would probably be replacing the stock cam, carb, and exhaust manifolds anyway so it doesn't matter where you start. The only thing to be aware of is that some later RV engines used a special head casting with special cooling passages. If you have those they will work fine, but most people ditch them for the regular passenger car heads.

If the tranny is from the RV it is probably a truck tranny with a short tail shaft. It will have heavy duty internal parts, but the tail shaft wont work in your car. You can use it in combination with any 727 to build a beefy unit though. All you really need to do is have the tail shaft changed.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street