Small block MoPars are nice for A bodies (Darts, pre-70 Barracudas, Dusters, Demons, Valiants, etc) and you can make them run real hard pretty cheap.

But you bought a MoPar for a reason and you didn't buy an A body. MoPar's legend isn't based in small blocks, no matter how many small block guys come on here and tell you how their 340 Duster cleaned up on the street. Build a 440 and you wont regret it.

Everyone always says its a lot of work/expensive to change to a big block, but in my opinion it really isn't. You need a big block tranny. SO WHAT? You need to do some type of performance build to your existing tranny anyway, and a core 727 isn't expensive (find an earlier 440 C body unit, it should have beefy internals). Or go the mail order complete tranny route. Either way you have a 904 which is great when you fill it with aftermarket parts for drag racing, but for a durable street/strip unit that can reuse mostly stock parts a 727 is where is at. So the tranny is a wash.

Alright, so now you need a radiator. You're probably purchasing headers and an aftermarket exhaust anyway, so no lost expense changing the exhaust. You MAY need to lengthen the coil wire. And you will need the alternator and power steering pump brackets for a big block as well as the pulleys.

So a radiator, pulleys, and alternator and power steering pump brackets are all that I see as being additional costs that you wouldn't have incurred otherwise. Its literally a bolt in deal with the correct engine brackets and the big block 727. Fidlerfingers power numbers are impressive, but its a stroker, and probably has aftermarket heads. How much $$$ does he have in it? You can reach similar numbers with a pretty basic 440 for probably cheaper. Also, on a small block, the distributor is in the wrong place (back of engine). The intake manifold on a big block doesn't flow antifreeze, which makes life easier. And on a small block and the water pump/timing cover setup is just stupid, and it angers me that both Chrysler and Ford managed to reached the same stupid consensus on how the front of an engine should come together. BUILD A BIG BLOCK.

Last edited by GTX MATT; 07/26/12 03:43 AM.