Quote:

First
Check for vac leaks again. If it's still got leaks, you will be chasing your tail!

Will do.. I feel like I'm getting dizzy from chasing my tail already! It's hard to tell when it'a a vacuum leak, or if the idle is just increasing due to fumes from the carb spray making it in the top of the carb..
Quote:

Second
Mark try this. Get it started and twist the intial up more. Whatever you observe now, turn it up another 4 degrees and see if you can get it to idle down.

I'll try that.. it seems like it speeds way up when I advance it up to about 25 or 30.. so I should try that, and then try to dial the idle back down to see if it smooths out?
Quote:

See if the timing setting you observed at high idls has changed to a lower number with the new lower idle speed. As long as it starts without kicking back, bump it 2* at a time until it becomes hard to start, then back it off 2*. The numbers that were suggested are just that, suggestions, let the engine tell you what it wants.

OK, when I was playing around, I did observe this behavior at one point.. so I know what you're talking about.. I'll try using that as an indicator too.
Quote:

third...
Do you have any control of the primary side of the carb. Do the idle mix screws do anything right now. Can you see any fuel dripping in from the boosters?

Uh.. hard to tell if the idle mixture screws are doing much at this point, maybe if I can get the idle RPM down, I might be able to tell. At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm not sure which is the "primary side" of the carb (it's an Edelbrock Performer 1405 - 600cfm).
Quote:

Here's some stuff that should be present on that engine.

Vacuum at idle of about 850-900 should be in the 13-15 area minimum.
It should idle cleanly at 850-900 rpm
In gear it should drop maybe 100 rpm.

Thanks again. I swear, I wish some of you guys lived closer.. I'd provide beer and pizza if you could come over to assist!