Quote:

Moe, good to hear from you! I'm no hero----although I do still have the scars from the arrows in my back---some old wounds go back 30 years or more.

A little more about the P7 heads----We have a set of Ernie Elliot heads, a set of Evernham heads and a set of Davis heads. The Elliot and Evernham heads are close---especially for gas. The Davis heads I was not impressed with---for gas(without a lot of rework). The Elliot and Evernham heads both were subjected to a CNC "lightening" program which removed a lot of material around the intake port. So they are somewhat limited as to future enlarging. The Davis heads didn't have the "lightening" program, so a lot of material remains for enlargement.

We run methanol---which needs different work for best performance. The intake/exhaust flow ratios are different. We chose to use the Evernham heads because they flowed better out of the box and the "lightening" program wasn't as aggressive which allowed more work on the intake runners. After rework, the Evernham (modified for methanol) flowed 407CFM @ .400" and 422CFM @ .800" and didn't stall up to 1.000". These numbers are with the standard 2.185" intake valve with 11/32" stems.

We run a nostalgia FED----so we have self limited ourselves with modifications, money spent, etc. If we had a desire to spend a lot of more money, the Davis heads can have much larger intake runners, but need much larger valves to take advantage of the larger runners. And we limited ourselves to .800" lift valve lift for good spring life. There is a lot of flow in the "non lightened" Davis heads BUT be prepared to spend some money and be prepared to buzz the engine higher. With our current setup, 7.40s are easily attainable----the car is capable of 7.00s but it takes more inches, more head flow and more cam lift. We just don't choose to do it!

There are many different versions of the P7 engine depending on the builder, and the track the engine was designed for. Numerous head programs, different camshaft selections, etc., are all awaiting a buyer of a "obsolete" P7 engine. The engines were designed for use in Nascar and race gas. Drag race applications do require changes especially for a light car like ours. An example for desired drag race changes-----we would really like or lobe separation( have 115 1/2 degrees) but more require a "custom", billet core---with a significant cost. We choose to not bear the extra cost.

Thanks for the info! I think the majority of guys thinking about drag racing these engines would know that they would need to get a camshaft designed to take full advantage of the potential power. How big is the cam core in these engines. I saw a set of rockers arms on line that were 2.0 ratio. Thats a lot of pressure being applied to the camshaft. A bigger cam core might be better assuming there's room for it.

Adriel Paradise
Substation Design Engineer III