AAR#2

1) Please tell me your dad is a body shop guy who couldn't afford daycare for you in the early days, forced you to learn a trade at the age of 5 and you have 15 years experience at the start of this project (it would help me to feel better about my capabilities and ambition)

I really wish that was the case here. The truth is i taught myself how to do things by browsing the web, buying the right tools, making mistakes and learning from them. I then landed a welding job which enhanced my skills with metal and welding. When it comes to body work and painting, i owe all of that to a local old timer who i would go to his place after high school and work on projects of his for free in exchange for knowledge.

2) Does anyone help you think through your repairs at this point in your work (refer to Q1 above perhaps, or another mentor?)

No, I honestly spend countless hours thinking of the best and easiest approach to everything. A lot of thinking comes before cutting and then welding. I know the body of these cars inside and out which helps as well.

3) It appears the start car was more of a rolling Jig for you to get pickup points and a roadmap, how many pieces are really going to be the original car when your done? (maybe guess a percentage, and please dont read into this, it's really just a curiosity question)

This is very true, and no offense is taken. When the car is done, i would guess your looking at 10% of the original metal being present. In other words its going to be 90% new metal will last longer. I salvaged the original cowl and rad support, since it had the numbers on it, and the inner webbing of the vehicle.

Stevo427 The Primer that i use in the welding and structural areas that will be covered is 3M weld-thru 2. Its the best product that i have found. Easily welds, unlike others that are galvanizing compound, this does not spit and spatter and blow holes in the clean metal. Its also a corrosion resistant coating that is great in areas that are covered. You can get them in aerosals, but its not cheap about $20 a can.