Bare with my thought process on this and tell me where I'm going wrong.

I have a built 383/438 ci engine for my ’68 RR. I had purchased the Mopar 6qt oil pan. Part # P5007807AB. In the Mopar Performance Catalog the description is as follows:

“Oil Pan, Six-quart, Center Sump, Stock Style, Must Use Oil Pickup P5007848, Stamped”

As I understand the catalog description, the pan holds 6 quarts and an additional quart for the filter.

Also, in my anal thinking, since I am using my stock dip stick the additional 2 quarts of oil, in what I presume to be a larger capacity pan based upon the description, the fill line on the dipstick should be relatively close the same level as my original 4 qt pan, meaning the surface of the oil level should be close to the same. No????

Well noooooo!!! When I have added 5 quarts to the pan the dipstick shows slightly overfull, let alone where the level is with 6 quarts. After I had added a total of 7 quarts, 6 in the pan 1 in the filter, I fired up the engine and while running checked the oil to see if it was frothy indicating my crank was slapping the oil. It was not. I have now marked my dipstick to where the oil level is and am using that as my full line.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Frank

Remember - 2 wrongs don't make a right - but 3 rights make a left!