My reasons for trying the MSD was due to the failures of the orange box and the FBO box.
I will check the MSD box continuity tonight as described in the above thread to see if that is an issue or not.

So how can my alternator field wires be showing 14.0v (VR connected) when the green and blue wires at the VR (disconnected) are only showing 11.9v and my battery is at 12.1v with the key at the RUN position, engine off?
Does the VR raise the voltage going to the alternator?
What else could cause the voltage to go up when the key is at the RUN position, engine off?

Note: I was discussing this with an EE at work this morning and he suggested that I pull the LARGE RED wire from the MSD box off of the battery and then recheck my alternator voltage to see if it goes back down to 12v. He also suggested that if it does, then to try diodes on the LARGE RED wire and the SMALL RED wire (crank/run). If the MSD box is creating the extra voltage, then stopping the voltage from "leaking" may help.

EDIT:
Fact: The blue wire with a white tracer runs from the alternator field wire thru the bulkhead and up the steering column. I then "assume" that it goes to the ignition switch.

The MSD SMALL RED wire is connected to the CRANK and the RUN wires, which are both coming from the ignition switch. If there is feedback (or extra power) thru the SMALL RED wire from the MSD box that is going back thru the RUN circuit, then it appears that it could make it out thru the blue/white wire to the alternator. So in the RUN mode, that might be where the extra voltage is coming from to make the field wire show 14v with the key in the RUN position.

Does this make sense? I am waiting on MSD to clarify if there is any extra voltage coming from the box during the RUN mode.

EDIT 2:
This is the response from MSD when I asked if the MSD box can add additional voltage thru the small red wire:

""Realize that the gauge is 40 years old, you may just have a faulty gauge or a gauge that needs to be reconditioned and updated for a modern, higher current output application such as when the MSD is installed. The older gauges were not engineered or designed for the high voltage and current of a CD unit.

The other possibility is that the gauge is being affected by the multi-spark function of the ignition. The multi-spark function actually fires the plugs multiple times during each firing event at rpm's up to 3,000 rpm.

If it were my vehicle, I would seriously consider having the amp gauge looked at and upgraded.""
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't see how an old ammeter or a multi-spark ignition can cause the alternator voltage to go up 2v with the engine off.
I am going to add a diode on the small red wire to see that stops the extra voltage.

Thanks a bunch!!

Last edited by YO7_A66; 02/07/12 01:32 PM.

1970 YO7 A66 [Canadian Export] F8 Challenger
340 (Currently in shop for stroker assy.)