Quote:

I'm concerned that it started spitting after only 10 minutes. I'm assuming the stat sat for those years. I would take out the stat & do for a drive & holler back & working the stat w your hands to see if it's free and no stat for a few minutes of driving is not going to hurt things from a delayed warmup. I would also drill a ~1/16" hole in the flat of it for easier fillup & lets air pockets out & takes 2 minutes to do & no down sides. EDIT I'm assuming the timing/shroud/fan/fan distance are acceptable

The fan/shroud combo are stock and have been on the car for years. None of those parts are aftermarket parts.

I see a very swift current of moving fluid when I open the cap and look in. It seems to me that it is obviously open(t-stat). I may buy a replacement stat and gasket at the show this weekend. I am thinking that it should be fine to drive to the rod run since it is only 2 miles away from the house.

BTW....the gauge stays right under half way between cold and hot when it was water out. I would think that is a safe operating temperature.