When the coupe arrived here, there was 1 outside door handle that wouldn't turn, and 2 inside handles that wouldn't move. There was nothing in the line of door post parts. The latch mechanisms were both locked up tight. The Dakota had perfect handles inside and out, with locks that matched each other and the steering column, and everything worked. Seemed like a no-brainer to me, install the Dakota stuff in the coupe doors.

Measurements were made to assure the coupe doors were wide enough to house the Dakota latch assemblies. Measurements showed the outside door handles would have to sit just under the belt line on the coupe doors, about an inch and a half higher then the original outside handles were located.

Having done this type of project before, I assumed the easiest process would be to cut the metal surrounding the handles & latches from the Dakota and transfer them into the coupe. Unfortunately, that would require cutting perfect, rust free Dakota doors. Every attempt was made to find someone that need the good doors, I was willing to make a deal and cut up rusty or bent doors. After 6 months of searching, the time was up, and my doors were cut.

So, an area with extra material was cut from around the outside door handle and the area along the door edge behind the outside handle. One of the most important things with this type of project is to assure the relationship between the outside handle and the latch assembly remains unchanged. Modifying the length or configuration of the little connecting rods hidden inside a door is a major pain in the butt. It is much easier to maintain the relationship and modify the door skin then it is to modify the rods.
This picture shows the outside door handle (driver door) surrounding sheet metal. The door edge is on the right, and there is a section of the door edge still attached to the outer piece.

6962891-48plymouth050.JPG (196 downloads)