Quote:

thanks for that heads up , the engines I will be installing them in are all unassembled so that shouldn't be an issue.

My Hemi and my 383 stroker both have smooth seal area cranks , I'm not sure now if I should put a rope seal in them or not ?

ah. all mine were grooved cranks, which i thought may have been part of the issue with the lip seal sealing, but who knows, i see plenty of people running lips on old cranks with grooves, and it works. my current 472 hemi has a grooved eagle crank, and i just put another lip seal in, (checked seal riding area with grease on the crank then rotated it) and the lip just barely hits the smooth portion in front of the grooves. it, has been dry for 200 miles now, a first for this engine with numerous seals.....

but, beings you have smooth cranks to begin with, i would not be afraid to run the lip seal. i offset mine for install, with a conservative amount of rtv holding it in place on both halves. oh, those graphite seals have the nice fiber side seals though, i found a lot of the other seals did not have the greatest option for side seals in the seal cap. i used a conservative amount of rtv there too, just enough to squeeze out a wee bit everywhere, and it's held up great so far.

good luck! and thanks to troy again for all the inside help/tips.....

D