I’m looking for suggestions for budget 318 head options for my 76 Dodge D100 low rider project truck.
This entire project has been on an extreme budget so I’m not looking to spend a bunch on the heads.
What I have is a 76 D100 with a 318 2bl. It runs pretty decent showing 68,000 miles. I’m looking to upgrade with a few mild performance parts to make a little more power but still keep the truck very drivable. I have a 360 sitting on an engine stand that will get built up later on as $$ allows, so the upgrades to the 318 have to stay low budget. I have at this time already installed headers and dual exhaust (which made it run and sound a lot better). I’ve picked up a small RV cam, new lifters and new springs to match the cam. I have a used Edelbrock performer intake and a used Holly 650. If I was looking to swap the heads and not spend a bunch of $$ what should I be looking for? I know some of the 318’s had 1.88/1.60 valves and I’d like to increase the valve size yet keep a decent compression ratio with the stock 318 pistons. I don’t intend to get into the short block on the 318 except for the cam swap. If I go wrecking yard shopping what types of applications where those found in? Cop cars? Trucks? Should I be looking for a Magnum 318 with swirl ports? I admit I’m not very well versed in the newer small block stuff and interchange ability with the older small blocks. I want to end up with a compression ration around 9:1. So if I have to have the heads milled to obtain that, I might be able to spend the money to get that done. Or should I just have a quick valve job done on the stock 1976 318 heads back cut the valves, port match the intake and run it?
Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, Josh-