Quote:

The reason that I asked if an ECU can handle a non ballast setup is because when I called FBO and told D that I was using his ECU without a ballast and with a Mallory 12v coil, he said that the ECU will burn up.
This bothers me because I have the manufacturer saying that it will burn up but so far it has not. D knows his ignitions!! I only drive the car about 30-45 minutes at a time so maybe it would on a longer drive.
I am cosidering his new ECU/12v coil and keep my existing items as a backup.

That is exactly what I have seen. People put out information and real world use doesn't support it. I lean towards some engineer looked at the drawings and thought it "could be an issue". Then everybody has ran with it.

When I discovered the MSD instructions for the coil in my glovebox, I also noted that it said that the coil MUST not be mounted horizontal, unless it is epoxy filled. Mine wasn't and had been mounted horizontal long before I got the car. I left it that way and I'd say it had over 10 years and countless miles on it when it left a couple of months ago. Car left here on a hot day and was driven for at least two hours to the guy's home. I got word a month later he was still very happy with the car. Folklore says that he should be pretty mad