Someone earlier mentioned that there is no time for match races now because of the National events. That's the point...there is too doggone many. As a result, to see the heavies one has to drive 300 miles and spend 500 bucks, kill the weekend. Back then, the heavies came to the local track, to where the folks were. They marketed themselves and the local tracks on a local level, and created interest in drag racing. ESPN coverage at 11pm on Sunday night just don't do it.

I mentioned to Dave Hakim once that if I was in a position of power, I would place one of the Drag Paks in the hands of someone that would tour the country, dealerships, and local drag races. Maybe get a Cobra Jet to do the same thing...match race maybe?

The professional bracket guys with all the geegaws have hurt it, as well. If you are a kid getting started, these guys eat you for lunch. And, if you do upset one of the sharks, which can happen, he just buys back in and gets you later. So, if you are a twenty year old kid spending your money racing an old 318 Volare, what's the use? You get discouraged and find something else to do. The brackets these days have created an environment where they eat their young...

The Nostalgia deal, which is what we do, is really interesting in that there seems to be an awful lot of young guys getting into it. The old cars, the old way of doing things, seem to be magic, and there is a message in there for those who want to see it.

This sport is at a crossroads, to my mind. It's time to get back to its roots and make it fun again.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com