To me, the sport appears to be slowly returning to it's roots.

For a long time, guys were getting into racing like yuppies were into Harleys. It was the thing to do..and they turned it into an intense business that frankly was not much fun. You had the gadgets and electronics, the stackers, etc. Now that times are tough, those guys are bailing and what is left over are the guys who are passionate about the sport and will find a way to race. I find it refreshing, actually.

Some of the tracks have helped by toning it down a bit, too. I know PRP has stopped round money for buy backs (I like it, as I think that having to beat the same guy twice to win is somehow an injustice), but this has really sped up the show and maybe opened the way to draw some more spectators because not everyone find it "cost effective" to buy back in. It's become more of a race than a business enterprise.

It seems like the whole deal is just slowing down, ramping down into reality. The Nostalgia shows, which is our forte, are booming...it's absolutely incredible. A lot of young folks are involved, too.

I quit going to NHRA National events years ago, but at the recent IHRA Nitro Jam at Pittsburgh it was standing room only, and then some. There were more little kids there than I've seen at the drags in years....they were everywhere. Young families were everywhere...it was a great show, and affordable. Again, ramped down from a $100 a seat NHRA event, and the folks responded. The racing was good, close, fast....and I've heard from some that they will attend PRP as spectators in the future.

So, I think the sport is in good shape....but, the future looks a bit different to me than it did in the eighties and nineties. I'm optimistic.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com