C
ChryCoGuy Offline
master
ChryCoGuy  Offline
master
C

o
Quote:

That's cool! Must raise a few eyebrows at Chevy meets!

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: ChryCoGuy] #946474
03/17/11 10:50 AM
03/17/11 10:50 AM
Minnesota
PocketThunder Offline
pro stock
PocketThunder  Offline
pro stock

Minnesota
Quote:

Quote:

That's cool! Must raise a few eyebrows at Chevy meets!

Its the only brand-x car that gets into Mopars in the Park every year.

69 Charger R/T. California car, 99 99 Special Order paint car, Omaha Orange. Original Paint, Interior, drivetrain, etc..
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: Supercuda] #946475
03/17/11 11:04 PM
03/17/11 11:04 PM
Shelbyville, TN USA
40ford Offline
mopar addict
40ford  Offline
mopar addict

Shelbyville, TN USA
Let me try to expand the comment a little. Back in the late 50s---when "Hot Rods" really took off, the predominant engine was a hot flathead. Occasionally you would see a early Chrysler or a Buick, Cadillac, or a Oldsmobile----but most were flatheads. Chevrolet brought out their V8 in 1955, so did Plymouth and it was the second year for the Y block Ford. No one paid much attention to them in 1955---but in 1956, Chevrolet took a great leap forward in HP but more importantly in dealer aftermarket parts. For the balance of the 50s, Ford and Plymouth were dogs---unless you had lots of $$$ and could get rare factory race parts, even then the Mopar and Ford was larger, heavier and much more difficult to install into another brand chassis.

During that same time, you could buy new Chev FI short blocks for lless than $200, and long blocks were not much more. Ford and Mopar ddidn't offer anything close price wise. And the Chev dealers had the stuff in stock---not so with Ford or Mopar, it was special order.

During that era, many people got converted into Chevrolet lovers----and those same guys(now in their 60/70) are the same guys who put a Chevrolet into anything with four wheels.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: 40ford] #946476
03/19/11 04:03 AM
03/19/11 04:03 AM
Maysville, Kentucky
Apollo 13 Offline
super stock
Apollo 13  Offline
super stock

Maysville, Kentucky
Quote:

Let me try to expand the comment a little. Back in the late 50s---when "Hot Rods" really took off, the predominant engine was a hot flathead. Occasionally you would see a early Chrysler or a Buick, Cadillac, or a Oldsmobile----but most were flatheads. Chevrolet brought out their V8 in 1955, so did Plymouth and it was the second year for the Y block Ford. No one paid much attention to them in 1955---but in 1956, Chevrolet took a great leap forward in HP but more importantly in dealer aftermarket parts. For the balance of the 50s, Ford and Plymouth were dogs---unless you had lots of $$$ and could get rare factory race parts, even then the Mopar and Ford was larger, heavier and much more difficult to install into another brand chassis.

During that same time, you could buy new Chev FI short blocks for lless than $200, and long blocks were not much more. Ford and Mopar ddidn't offer anything close price wise. And the Chev dealers had the stuff in stock---not so with Ford or Mopar, it was special order.

During that era, many people got converted into Chevrolet lovers----and those same guys(now in their 60/70) are the same guys who put a Chevrolet into anything with four wheels.

And to build on the last sentence, When in the 60's the big blocks with large dsplacements came along, the samll block crowd could not compete. The 327 and 350 Camaro bunch had NO CHANCE against a 383-440-426. They stompped them, but the cars also cost more. Then in the very late 70's and more so into the late 80's , small block chevy head technology came into it's own. When you can build the same amount of Horsepower with a small block for around a 1/2 of the price of a big block, what are you gonna do? The small block chevy 400 and a great stroker kit will get it done. Unless you wanted to spend a minimum of $10,000 on a big block ,you can't compete with that. Now Mostly, the big blocks are show pieces with a good giddy-up. There is no replacement for dis-placement as the saying goes, but it comes at a high price these days. Aluminum heads,stroker kits, cranks, lightweight this and that, superchargers, all for small block applications and the prices came down. When you can run a 400 Chevy with Dart II heads in the low 11's effortlessly for 5 seasons and not hurt it, you are getting the bang for your buck. You have more in the heads than you do the entire engine, but that is the "life" of the engine, so money well spent. Technology eventually won the battle of lower buck engines. Big blocks can win the war, it just cost more.

If you don't start it , you don't have to end it.
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: Supercuda] #946477
03/19/11 01:38 PM
03/19/11 01:38 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

As for the alterkation kit, $3800 just for a coil over front steer suspension to put in a Hemi? I don't think so. I can put an LS1 in for that money and have money for beer to celebrate the job being done.

You seem to be of the mindset of someone who just "doesn't get it" in the MoPar world..?

SBC is very common because guys are cheap and would rather use easily paid for stuff with a plentiful cheap aftermarket, have very limited imagination and need "Trans-dapt" bolt in adapter type stuff, and
don't care much about heritages and bloodlines compared to end results.
Which is fine for some.

There are many who believe in MoPars because it is what interests them, certain combinations, certain engineering, certain looks. It's what hooked many into cars, the oddness, the outrageousness, the brutish arrogance of certain factory parts. The fact that a MaxWedge car or gator grained roof car could go faster with a LS1 engine wouldn't cross a true MoPar guy's mind. It would be akin to destroying a piece of art to some, or at least altering a piece of art to the point of diminished interest.

Some will get what I say and their heads swirl with ideas and emotions of knowing what I intend to mean, others will wonder why more guys don't pull the inline 6 out of a 1961 XKE and toss a 327 into the Jag.

LS1 in a Mopar just doesn't draw my interest at all. I know a genIII Hemi would draw my interest, but even a genIII Hemi doesn't attract all the old school MoPar guys in the older MoPar iron. To THEM it's a heritage issue, one which I don't find an issue.

So for others not to "get it" about a SBC? Doesn't surprise me.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946478
03/19/11 01:47 PM
03/19/11 01:47 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

You seem to be of the mindset of someone who just "doesn't get it" in the MoPar world..?

Oh I get "it".

same mind set as the resto crowd. Some know it all clown will deride a nice ride because some factory chalk mark isn't where he thinks it should be.

What you don't "get" is that this is the street rod section, go back to the resto section and be happy with your over priced antique "technology".

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: Supercuda] #946479
03/19/11 04:24 PM
03/19/11 04:24 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Oh I get "it".

same mind set as the resto crowd. Some know it all clown will deride a nice ride because some factory chalk mark isn't where he thinks it should be.

What you don't "get" is that this is the street rod section, go back to the resto section and be happy with your over priced antique "technology".

Wow.
Rude too!

My car is far from a "resto" in any way shape or form. ALL my cars are far from being "paint dab" cars.
My MOTORHOME is highly modded.

Not sure you "get it", not really sure I get you!

To each his own!

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946480
03/19/11 04:45 PM
03/19/11 04:45 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
An LS1/2/3.....or....an LS9 actually would be pretty cool in the Jensen.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946481
03/19/11 05:39 PM
03/19/11 05:39 PM
Crofton, Ky.
R
rattler Offline
super stock
rattler  Offline
super stock
R

Crofton, Ky.
Quote:

Quote:

As for the alterkation kit, $3800 just for a coil over front steer suspension to put in a Hemi? I don't think so. I can put an LS1 in for that money and have money for beer to celebrate the job being done.

SBC is very common because guys are cheap and would rather use easily paid for stuff with a plentiful cheap aftermarket, have very limited imagination and need "Trans-dapt" bolt in adapter type stuff, and
don't care much about heritages and bloodlines compared to end results.
Which is fine for some.

There are many who believe in MoPars because it is what interests them, certain combinations, certain engineering, certain looks. It's what hooked many into cars, the oddness, the outrageousness, the brutish arrogance of certain factory parts. The fact that a MaxWedge car or gator grained roof car could go faster with a LS1 engine wouldn't cross a true MoPar guy's mind. It would be akin to destroying a piece of art to some, or at least altering a piece of art to the point of diminished interest.

Some will get what I say and their heads swirl with ideas and emotions of knowing what I intend to mean, others will wonder why more guys don't pull the inline 6 out of a 1961 XKE and toss a 327 into the Jag.

LS1 in a Mopar just doesn't draw my interest at all. I know a genIII Hemi would draw my interest, but even a genIII Hemi doesn't attract all the old school MoPar guys in the older MoPar iron. To THEM it's a heritage issue, one which I don't find an issue.

So for others not to "get it" about a SBC? Doesn't surprise me.

Thats putting it about as well as i have heard it explained. Randy

1957 Dodge truck, Snakeskin Green with a little stroker motor. 1964 Plymouth Savoy wagon ( my new project)
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946482
03/19/11 06:10 PM
03/19/11 06:10 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

To each his own!

If you truly thought that then you would never have posted what you did.

You see, that is exactly how I think. You want a SBC in YOUR ride, have fun.

You want me to put something YOU want in my ride? Step off.

I guess to be a true mopar guy you have to be a conformist, which negates your "to each his own" claim.

So which is it? A "real" mopar guy or to each his own?

Don't be the exception.
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: Supercuda] #946483
03/19/11 07:46 PM
03/19/11 07:46 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

To each his own!

If you truly thought that then you would never have posted what you did.

You see, that is exactly how I think. You want a SBC in YOUR ride, have fun.

You want me to put something YOU want in my ride? Step off.

I guess to be a true mopar guy you have to be a conformist, which negates your "to each his own" claim.

So which is it? A "real" mopar guy or to each his own?

BOTH.
And it's not contradictory in the least.

And this makes no sense-

Quote:

Like I said, I just don't think you get it.
I have a dual quad 440 Jensen. I'm a "conformist"? Maybe it's my large hydraulic cam in a souped up motorhome. Conforming again...?

I like a certain style, a certain way parts are assembled, a certain laook, sound feel. I like engineering in a vehicle a certain way.
Not all my likes are the same, not all my vehicles are the same, I would love to see what you think I "conform" to.

I'm not a fan of throwing a small block Chevy into a MoPar, I think it's the easy way out for guys who think cheap power is more important than the package.

If you want to throw a small block Chevy into a Duesenberg then GO AHEAD.

I won't have much interest, most won't have much "positive" interest, and you will like your vehicle.
To each his own.

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: OzHemi] #946484
03/19/11 07:47 PM
03/19/11 07:47 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

An LS1/2/3.....or....an LS9 actually would be pretty cool in the Jensen.

MmmMmm....
NO!

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946485
03/19/11 10:47 PM
03/19/11 10:47 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

True DAT ! ... but it is ALWAYS up on jack-stands

Wasssupy with dat ?

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: dOrk !] #946486
03/19/11 11:29 PM
03/19/11 11:29 PM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Quote:

True DAT ! ... but it is ALWAYS up on jack-stands

Wasssupy with dat ?

Nadda enne more!!!
New house = level driveway!!!!!

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946487
03/20/11 02:20 AM
03/20/11 02:20 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Sounds like GOOD NEWS ...but when is the motorhomey-driver/home-owner EVER going to-be level-headed.... hIsSeLf ? ...

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: dOrk !] #946488
03/20/11 02:25 AM
03/20/11 02:25 AM
Canada
CrAzYMoPaRGuY Offline
I Live Here
CrAzYMoPaRGuY  Offline
I Live Here

Canada
Quote:

Sounds like GOOD NEWS ...but when is the motorhomey-driver/home-owner EVER going to-be level-headed ? ...

That will take a while longer........

CrAzYMoPaRGuY
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946489
03/20/11 02:47 AM
03/20/11 02:47 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
I'll be keeping my on choo !

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: CrAzYMoPaRGuY] #946490
03/20/11 11:04 AM
03/20/11 11:04 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

I won't have much interest, most won't have much "positive" interest, and you will like your vehicle.
To each his own.

There it is "I won't have much interest"

Who cares if you have any interest at all? You do, but as shown it is all about you.

I have zero concern about what interests you or about 99,9999999997% of the people on this planet. I care about what interests me not you and I can almost guarantee that whatever I may build you will never see it, ride in it, hear it or drive it. So why should I GAF about what you want, like or think? or for that matter anyone else?

I get you and your attitude. I also get you have a hard time understanding things. I never said I wanted a SBC in anything. I did say an LS motor, which is not a SBC. Pay attention.

Don't be the exception.
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: Supercuda] #946491
03/20/11 11:13 AM
03/20/11 11:13 AM
Crofton, Ky.
R
rattler Offline
super stock
rattler  Offline
super stock
R

Crofton, Ky.
For someone who cares nothing for anyone else's opinion, you sure are trying hard to convince people of how "right" you are.

1957 Dodge truck, Snakeskin Green with a little stroker motor. 1964 Plymouth Savoy wagon ( my new project)
Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? [Re: Supercuda] #946492
03/20/11 11:52 AM
03/20/11 11:52 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

Quote:

To each his own.

There it is "I won't have much interest"

Who cares if you have any interest at all? You do, but as shown it is all about you.

I have zero concern about what interests you or about 99,9999999997% of the people on this planet. I care about what interests me not you and I can almost guarantee that whatever I may build you will never see it, ride in it, hear it or drive it. So why should I GAF about what you want, like or think? or for that matter anyone else?

I get you and your attitude. I also get you have a hard time understanding things. I never said I wanted a SBC in anything. I did say an LS motor, which is not a SBC. Pay attention.

Yep, your right, who cares or should care what you put in your car. I believe the original poster was talking about street rods, not street machines. Get a grip , take a pill or something.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5