Moparts

350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods???

Posted By: MuuMuu101

350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/08/11 11:34 PM

Why does about 90% of old school hot rods (at least in my area) have 350 Chevys in them??? Is it because they are cheaper? Can you get more power out of them? Do they fit better? I mean, a Chrysler Engine should be in Chrysler Cars, a Chevy Engine would should in a Chevy, and a Ford Engine should be in a Ford.
Posted By: cuhemida

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/09/11 12:01 AM

small block chev. you can find them anywhere.. for a little more than a dime a dozen or less... plus parts are cheap and you can buy most anything you need at Wallmart or K-Mart... and if you put one in a Mopar it becomes a SLOWPAR but that just the way i think lol
Posted By: wannadrag

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/09/11 02:48 AM

Thats why there called Hot Rods.Its been done since the 40s,different engines in different brands,kinda what engine a guy prefers.I myself like seeing a nailhead in say a ford coupe or maybe a early hemi in a chevy or may be a flat head in a plymouth coupe.Its hotrodding.I do agree on the sbc as being way over done and getting old.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 01:07 AM

You can always tell the uninformed response.

Anyway, The SBC got it's start in the 50's. It was much smaller than most of the V8's of the time, fit the early Fords most were hopping up better and outpowered the stock, or even hot Flathead Ford V8. Granted back in the day teh early Hemi was put into them, but they were expensive, much larger, harder to fit and way heavier. The SBC had a 10 year headstart on the LA engine and it's still smaller than an LA. Not to mention it's not that expensive to make power with the SBC.

Combine all that together and the SBC had a headstart no other engine has over come.
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 02:08 AM

They ain't just in hotrods either. And if you thought it was bad with the gen I/II small blocks, the LS stuff is just as prominent now. And more importantly, they have the backing from just about every aftermarket company under the sun---can't really say that for mopar stuff. Plus what the above poster said, that I have to say was really thought out and written well.

Does it stink to see them in other makes? I guess that is your own take on it. To me, its old school hot rodding---to a certian extent. You cant stick your nose to high in the air and be ignorant, because i'll tell you in building engines chuck full of aftermarket parts that there is more crossbreeding on parts than you can even imagine. Its funny to look at a cylinder head or valve train and you can see almost whose original plans were taken.

I am doing a build on a guys 383 and he just about flipped when I mentioned I had to use spring retainers listed for a BB Chevy. Really!? The engine doesn't know and under the valve covers, neither will anyone else. Shoulda kept my mouth shut. But anyhow, back to the topic, a statement I always pose when someone cries about a SBC in another vehicle, what if that Ford, or Chevy had a 440 or Hemi in it---would you own it? Most still say no.

I can screw together an aluminum headed SBC 383 stroker for about $2500 including outside machine work If the right parts are bought. I don't think your going to do that with a Mopar small block sorry to say--ok, maybe with iron heads you could.

I have a 454 on the stand now that will have about $2500 for an iron headed/roller cam/ mild performance build. As a comparison, there is a 383 and a 440 on the stands also that have real mild performance build with hydralic flat tappets and I am at about $3000 ish on those---to do a roller cam was around around another $1000--maybe about $600-700 if you bought used stuff. Sorry to say, they chevy stuff is just so plentiful and just cheaper to do whether buying new or used.

Then as far as hotrods are concerned, you have to remember some of these older cars got a camaro front clips just making the SBC swap a natural for the simplicity in that situation. Its really up to the individual to do or redo what they feel is right, and sometimes, just sometimes, there is a really interesting story to go along with what was done----like the guy at our track that runes a 68 Nova with a 440 in it.

Make of it what you will, and I totally understand the whole mopar in a mopar thing, but in the end, to each thier own.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 02:28 AM

Ok, I understand better now. It does get on my nerves a little because I really like uniqueness. So when I see every hot rod has the same engine, I just want something to be different. However, I have seen a 392 and a guy always brings a Ford BB (well I think it is) 32 Roadster at the local car gathering.

I also do understand the fact that some of these guys just want the car of their dreams, an old roadster. However, they are not cheap to build so they go with what will bring more bang for the buck.

This is what led me to post this. Everything had the same engine:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2211755228.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2252303567.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2204657155.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2246516258.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2219192005.html

Here is a picture of the Ford BB Roadster:

Attached picture 6521272-SweetHotRod.jpg

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 02:39 AM

Thats a Flat head ford in a that rod. A VERY traditional combination.
Posted By: rowin4

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 05:15 AM

I feel the same way, hot rodding or not , the same old small block chevy in every rod gets a little old. It seems like some of those guy's would try to be a little different. Heck put in a slant 6, it would probably get more looks. As a matter of fact , there is a guy up in the west Michigan area that has a rat rod pick up with a turbo charged slant 6, people are all over it as it different.

Posted By: 65rbdodge

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 04:00 PM

another reason besides the motors being cheap to build is that you can get conversion motor mounts to bolt a sb chevy into just about any car. most people(not me) don`t want to go through the trouble of making the own conversion motor mounts for a mopar.
Posted By: bohmer2

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 04:59 PM

Quote:

You can always tell the uninformed response.

Anyway, The SBC got it's start in the 50's. It was much smaller than most of the V8's of the time, fit the early Fords most were hopping up better and outpowered the stock, or even hot Flathead Ford V8. Granted back in the day teh early Hemi was put into them, but they were expensive, much larger, harder to fit and way heavier. The SBC had a 10 year headstart on the LA engine and it's still smaller than an LA. Not to mention it's not that expensive to make power with the SBC.

Combine all that together and the SBC had a headstart no other engine has over come.

This is a great explanation as to why it started. The big reason they are still so widely used is the aftermarket support they have received. Go to SEMA and see how many hundreds of times you will see more parts for a SBC than all other motors combined. Because there is such widespread support you can pick up anything you need for them cheap and you can pick up parts for them in any town US.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/10/11 06:16 PM

Quote:

I feel the same way, hot rodding or not , the same old small block chevy in every rod gets a little old. It seems like some of those guy's would try to be a little different. Heck put in a slant 6, it would probably get more looks. As a matter of fact , there is a guy up in the west Michigan area that has a rat rod pick up with a turbo charged slant 6, people are all over it as it different.

I feel the same way. The chevy 350 is so overdone I would rather see anything else under the hood of a hot rod. I do understand why, they are your best bang for your buck v8 out there with cheap and widely available performance parts from every manufacturer, everything you could want is produced for them. But that still does not make them any less boring or overdone.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/12/11 01:14 AM

To be honest, if I were to build a rod right now I would be very hard pressed not to run an LS motor.

Heck, I am even thinking about putting one in the 65 Cuda, I have even measured things out to see if it's possible. Only oil pan issues are apparent.

Why? Simple, dollar for dollar nothing can beat it. Want an all aluminum V8? The LS can accommodate you for less than any MoPar engine. Wnat 500hp? Again, the LS is cheaper, 600hp? Same deal. More than that? you're on crack, lol.

I probably won't cause all my spares are Mopar stuff and I don't want to restock with another brand.
Posted By: Mopar Ron

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/12/11 02:17 AM

Yeah they are used in everything and over used in my opinion.
I don't care how much power they make or how "CHEAP" they are to build and buy parts for. they do not belong in a mopar I don't care if its a 30 plymouth or a 70 challenger, a mopar deserves a mopar in it.

I have built many streetrod and I always use a mopar in a mopar.
I have built 4 cars with chevys in them
A 40 willys coupe with a small block
A 41 willys coupe with a BB chevy
a 37 chevy sedan with a SBC
and a 34 chevy sedan with a SBC
nothing wrong with those engines in those cars but they were for sale cars I built.
anything I keep will be mopar powered.

I don't care how cheap or easy a chevy is,
I will never build a mopar with one in it
like I said a mopar deserves a mopar in it, and that is just my opinion

the way I look at it if you want to run a chevy engine just get some GM car and have fun, they make some nice cars too.. Ron...
Posted By: rattler

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/12/11 02:52 PM

I totally agree Ron, The easiest thing in life is to be just like everybody else. I think one reason we like Mopar so much is because we like different. Randy

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/12/11 02:58 PM

Quote:

I totally agree Ron, The easiest thing in life is to be just like everybody else. I think one reason we like Mopar so much is because we like different. Randy

Hmm. how many LS1's do you figure people have stuffed into a 65 Cuda? Bet that answer is on one hand.

How many you figure had a mopar engine? All of them. So who's being like everyone else?

Let me guess, most of your rods have a coil over 4 link setup, probably with a 9" Ford rear too.

Be different but only if you follow someone else's rules, lol.
Posted By: Ply36

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 12:33 AM

I made a street rod out of the first car i ever owned, and i still have it all these years later. It was my dream to put a '54 Dodge Hemi with a mopar four-speed and a mopar rear end in my '36 Plymouth Coupe. Along the way, i'd tell myself I could be on the road if I just went plain vanilla like everyone else and put a SBC in it and be done. That would be enough to shake me out of whatever state of mind I was in, and remind myself I didn't want to be part of the herd. It was slow and frustrating to try and find parts, and what I couldn't find, I would make or tell someone to make what i wanted.
Now, I'm just about done except for a good paint job and interior, and i couldn't be more pleased with the result. The way it runs for a 3 deuce 241 with A-833 four-speed is not to be believed. And the double-takes I get at car shows (when they expected to see a 350/350) is more than worth the extra grief.
Posted By: Mike P

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 03:03 PM

I went to the small local cruise last night and ran into an old friend who had brought out his SBC powered T Bucket. The car is very well done with some interesting features which we talked about......basically we talked about everything about the car EXCEPT the engine/drive train.

Then we wandered over to my 57 Plymouth. As usual with the hood down my old Plaza gets a lot of comments about the body style, interior, 4 speed etc. When the hood goes up, inevitably the conversation always revolves around the Tri-Power first generation Hemi and people usually don’t seem to notice the rest of the car it’s in.

What I’m getting at I guess is that most custom builds will have certain areas where the builder will pace there emphasis. Just my opinion, but in case of most of SBC powered rods the drive train itself almost just an afterthought.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not anti SBC...... they’re good engines, but relatively speaking they are the easy way out, not very impressive visually and way over done.

And really which would you really rather have???

Attached picture 6527771-mouseelephant.JPG

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 05:04 PM

To mister "supercuda" ( it ain't very d*** super if you put a sbc in it) and NO you will not find ford or cheby anything in a car of mine. I do own a ford though, its a 65 model 3000 tractor, and even it has a Dodge Ram license plate on it. Randy

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 05:04 PM

Oh I agree, but unless it's a Hemi a MoPar engine isn't all that visually different enough from a SBC or BBC to make it stand out. In fact it could be argued that the SBC has a lot more available to it in the aftermarket to make it stand out visually than a MoPar does.

Me, I am more of a form follows function kind of guy. I prefer the stealth look and want performance over pretty any day. By definition a street rod is more looks over performance and a hot rod is more performance over looks. So I guess it's all in what you want.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 05:15 PM

Quote:

To mister "supercuda" ( it ain't very d*** super if you put a sbc in it) and NO you will not find ford or cheby anything in a car of mine. I do own a ford though, its a 65 model 3000 tractor, and even it has a Dodge Ram license plate on it. Randy

Speaking from a position of complete ignorance doesn't behoove you. The LS is no more a SBC than a 4.7 is an LA engine.

When you decide to come out of your cave I suggest you read something other than bathroom wall writings.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 05:41 PM

A small block cheby is still a small block cheby. I don't care how much they change the design. If you don't like it, stick it up your exhaust!
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 05:46 PM

Quote:

Oh I agree, but unless it's a Hemi a MoPar engine isn't all that visually different enough from a SBC or BBC to make it stand out. In fact it could be argued that the SBC has a lot more available to it in the aftermarket to make it stand out visually than a MoPar does.

Me, I am more of a form follows function kind of guy. I prefer the stealth look and want performance over pretty any day. By definition a street rod is more looks over performance and a hot rod is more performance over looks. So I guess it's all in what you want.

You can change how the LS1 looks as well, for both form and function of course too..

(And 330 hp stock basically and 26 - 27 mpg is hard to say no too, plus all aluminum of course)

Here is my Torana....

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 06:28 PM

I always love when this topic comes up.

But the bottom line is its your own car, do what you want----understand resale is a killer on swaps like this though....usually.............

It is possible to find someone that is willing to have an offbeat swap, but they are probably few and far between. At least on the Mopar side, most guys want Mopar engines, but a few do not care.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/13/11 06:39 PM

Quote:

I always love when this topic comes up.

But the bottom line is its your own car, do what you want----understand resale is a killer on swaps like this though....usually.............

It is possible to find someone that is willing to have an offbeat swap, but they are probably few and far between. At least on the Mopar side, most guys want Mopar engines, but a few do not care.

Posted By: Apollo 13

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/14/11 02:45 AM

1st, here is my 85 Monte Carlo SS with a LT1. Mounted like it was factory stock, better economy, way more power than the 305. It really gets heads turned at the cruise-in and it's the old generation fuel injection. But I wouldn't put it in a MoPar. I like different.

Also, to go back further than the SBC in the mid to late 50's. Read up on some of the older, true Hot Rodders. The engines of choice were the Lincoln and Cadillac mills. They built more power, but were more expensive. Son, your gonna drive me to drinking if you don't stop driving that Hot - Rod - Lincoln.

Attached picture 6528870-monte13.jpg

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/14/11 04:28 AM

True, there has almost always been something more powerful than the SBC to stuff into a hotrod, even back in the day. I've heard about surplus fighter aircraft engines stuffed into things. But for the money and the ease of installation, the SBC got the nod and by the time Mopar or Ford came up with their version of a light weight, small package V8 Chevy had about 10 year head start. Tough to overcome that kind of a jump. The SBC aftermarket has been developing things since the mid 50's, that's 50+ years of history. The LA outlasted the Windsor Ford, but it still never had the aftermarket support that the SBC had and it's fading fast for us.

Even today, the LS engine gets more aftermarket support than the Gen III hemi. Want to put an LS into a Fiero, there's a kit. Want to put a Hemi into a 65 Cuda? Good luck Columbus because you'll be into uncharted territory.

And that is why the SBC is the engine most seen in a street rod.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/14/11 06:19 AM

Quote:

True, there has almost always been something more powerful than the SBC to stuff into a hotrod, even back in the day. I've heard about surplus fighter aircraft engines stuffed into things. But for the money and the ease of installation, the SBC got the nod and by the time Mopar or Ford came up with their version of a light weight, small package V8 Chevy had about 10 year head start. Tough to overcome that kind of a jump. The SBC aftermarket has been developing things since the mid 50's, that's 50+ years of history. The LA outlasted the Windsor Ford, but it still never had the aftermarket support that the SBC had and it's fading fast for us.

Even today, the LS engine gets more aftermarket support than the Gen III hemi. Want to put an LS into a Fiero, there's a kit. Want to put a Hemi into a 65 Cuda? Good luck Columbus because you'll be into uncharted territory.

Actually, RMS provides mounts for swapping a Gen III into a Barracuda, and burtillion performance can provide a lot of the aftermarket to install them (wiring harnesses, radiator, computers, etc). And TTi provides the exhaust. Just saying.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/14/11 11:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Actually, RMS provides mounts for swapping a Gen III into a Barracuda, and burtillion performance can provide a lot of the aftermarket to install them (wiring harnesses, radiator, computers, etc). And TTi provides the exhaust. Just saying.

None of them provide squat for a 1965 Cuda. 67 and up? Sure. Not 66 and earlier and they are different enough for the later swap stuff to not work without rework and in that case I may as well save the money and do it myself.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/15/11 12:06 AM

but it can be done on the earlier A bodys, a guy out here has a nice dart with a 5.7 hemi in it

Attached picture 6530168-CIMG1562.JPG

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/15/11 12:09 AM

looks like a nice fit
I wouldn't even give it a second look if it had a chevy in it

Attached picture 6530177-CIMG1563.JPG

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/15/11 12:40 AM

Only thing I don't like with alot of engine swaps is just sticking one of those air filters on it (drawing in all the hot engine air) just looks really unfinished to me.

I just spent some time and made up an aluminum box for my filter that draws cool air through the core support (just behind the grill)

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/15/11 12:56 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

None of them provide squat for a 1965 Cuda. 67 and up? Sure. Not 66 and earlier and they are different enough for the later swap stuff to not work without rework and in that case I may as well save the money and do it myself.

Here's the front alterktion with mounts for the 65 Barracuda:

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/product.php?productid=16187&cat=269&page=1
Posted By: ChryCoGuy

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/15/11 02:22 PM

Here's the other side of the coin - a Mopar powerplant in a Chevy (well sorta... a Canadian Beaumont). Sorry for the link to a Chebby board, but this one's kinda different:

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181312

No progress posts since last Sept., so I don't know where the project went from there... but it's definitely different!

Chevy in a Mopar... Mopar in a Chevy... whatever floats your boat, but it's all hot rodding to me and all part of the great big ol' world of the car hobby. I personally love the variety.
Posted By: B1arno

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/16/11 04:00 AM

Quote:

Chevy in a Mopar... Mopar in a Chevy... whatever floats your boat, but it's all hot rodding to me and all part of the great big ol' world of the car hobby. I personally love the variety.

You made the point that a lot of others are making, variety is good. Everything having a 350 Chevy in it is not variety.

Arno

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/16/11 04:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You made the point that a lot of others are making, variety is good. Everything having a 350 Chevy in it is not variety.

Arno

Now that looks like a cool project! I like what he did with the tail lights too. And I like how he changed the intake on the viper engine to make it seem like it is his own.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/16/11 04:20 AM

Quote:

Arno

Yeah, but a Viper V10 in a Canadian-only GM product does constitute variety. So there.

It's all good IMHO...
Posted By: PocketThunder

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/16/11 07:20 PM

Attached picture 6533248-69Camaro440.jpg

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/17/11 01:12 AM

Quote:

looks like a nice fit
I wouldn't even give it a second look if it had a chevy in it

Sweet, I did some measuring back when I had the money, looked very close, in fact it appeared to me that the pass side shock tower would hit the valve cover. Do you have any more pics? I'd be real interested in seeing how he did it and what he had to do.

As for the alterkation kit, $3800 just for a coil over front steer suspension to put in a Hemi? I don't think so. I can put an LS1 in for that money and have money for beer to celebrate the job being done.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/17/11 02:22 AM

I'll look and see if I have any more pics(I don't think I do)
I do know he still has torsion bars, not sure about the steering box. he said he gets around 25mpg and it's faster than the built 360 that he had in there before and its fun to drive, he said he is probably going to put in a 5 speed just for some more fun

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/17/11 02:38 AM

Car Warriors is starting to get annoying. They have had a Chevy or Ford motor for every car even the import today. They need to find something new.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/17/11 02:11 PM

Quote:

That's cool! Must raise a few eyebrows at Chevy meets!
Posted By: PocketThunder

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/17/11 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That's cool! Must raise a few eyebrows at Chevy meets!

Its the only brand-x car that gets into Mopars in the Park every year.
Posted By: 40ford

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/18/11 03:04 AM

Let me try to expand the comment a little. Back in the late 50s---when "Hot Rods" really took off, the predominant engine was a hot flathead. Occasionally you would see a early Chrysler or a Buick, Cadillac, or a Oldsmobile----but most were flatheads. Chevrolet brought out their V8 in 1955, so did Plymouth and it was the second year for the Y block Ford. No one paid much attention to them in 1955---but in 1956, Chevrolet took a great leap forward in HP but more importantly in dealer aftermarket parts. For the balance of the 50s, Ford and Plymouth were dogs---unless you had lots of $$$ and could get rare factory race parts, even then the Mopar and Ford was larger, heavier and much more difficult to install into another brand chassis.

During that same time, you could buy new Chev FI short blocks for lless than $200, and long blocks were not much more. Ford and Mopar ddidn't offer anything close price wise. And the Chev dealers had the stuff in stock---not so with Ford or Mopar, it was special order.

During that era, many people got converted into Chevrolet lovers----and those same guys(now in their 60/70) are the same guys who put a Chevrolet into anything with four wheels.
Posted By: Apollo 13

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 08:03 AM

Quote:

Let me try to expand the comment a little. Back in the late 50s---when "Hot Rods" really took off, the predominant engine was a hot flathead. Occasionally you would see a early Chrysler or a Buick, Cadillac, or a Oldsmobile----but most were flatheads. Chevrolet brought out their V8 in 1955, so did Plymouth and it was the second year for the Y block Ford. No one paid much attention to them in 1955---but in 1956, Chevrolet took a great leap forward in HP but more importantly in dealer aftermarket parts. For the balance of the 50s, Ford and Plymouth were dogs---unless you had lots of $$$ and could get rare factory race parts, even then the Mopar and Ford was larger, heavier and much more difficult to install into another brand chassis.

During that same time, you could buy new Chev FI short blocks for lless than $200, and long blocks were not much more. Ford and Mopar ddidn't offer anything close price wise. And the Chev dealers had the stuff in stock---not so with Ford or Mopar, it was special order.

During that era, many people got converted into Chevrolet lovers----and those same guys(now in their 60/70) are the same guys who put a Chevrolet into anything with four wheels.

And to build on the last sentence, When in the 60's the big blocks with large dsplacements came along, the samll block crowd could not compete. The 327 and 350 Camaro bunch had NO CHANCE against a 383-440-426. They stompped them, but the cars also cost more. Then in the very late 70's and more so into the late 80's , small block chevy head technology came into it's own. When you can build the same amount of Horsepower with a small block for around a 1/2 of the price of a big block, what are you gonna do? The small block chevy 400 and a great stroker kit will get it done. Unless you wanted to spend a minimum of $10,000 on a big block ,you can't compete with that. Now Mostly, the big blocks are show pieces with a good giddy-up. There is no replacement for dis-placement as the saying goes, but it comes at a high price these days. Aluminum heads,stroker kits, cranks, lightweight this and that, superchargers, all for small block applications and the prices came down. When you can run a 400 Chevy with Dart II heads in the low 11's effortlessly for 5 seasons and not hurt it, you are getting the bang for your buck. You have more in the heads than you do the entire engine, but that is the "life" of the engine, so money well spent. Technology eventually won the battle of lower buck engines. Big blocks can win the war, it just cost more.
Posted By: CrAzYMoPaRGuY

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 05:38 PM

Quote:

As for the alterkation kit, $3800 just for a coil over front steer suspension to put in a Hemi? I don't think so. I can put an LS1 in for that money and have money for beer to celebrate the job being done.

You seem to be of the mindset of someone who just "doesn't get it" in the MoPar world..?

SBC is very common because guys are cheap and would rather use easily paid for stuff with a plentiful cheap aftermarket, have very limited imagination and need "Trans-dapt" bolt in adapter type stuff, and
don't care much about heritages and bloodlines compared to end results.
Which is fine for some.

There are many who believe in MoPars because it is what interests them, certain combinations, certain engineering, certain looks. It's what hooked many into cars, the oddness, the outrageousness, the brutish arrogance of certain factory parts. The fact that a MaxWedge car or gator grained roof car could go faster with a LS1 engine wouldn't cross a true MoPar guy's mind. It would be akin to destroying a piece of art to some, or at least altering a piece of art to the point of diminished interest.

Some will get what I say and their heads swirl with ideas and emotions of knowing what I intend to mean, others will wonder why more guys don't pull the inline 6 out of a 1961 XKE and toss a 327 into the Jag.

LS1 in a Mopar just doesn't draw my interest at all. I know a genIII Hemi would draw my interest, but even a genIII Hemi doesn't attract all the old school MoPar guys in the older MoPar iron. To THEM it's a heritage issue, one which I don't find an issue.

So for others not to "get it" about a SBC? Doesn't surprise me.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 05:47 PM

Quote:

You seem to be of the mindset of someone who just "doesn't get it" in the MoPar world..?

Oh I get "it".

same mind set as the resto crowd. Some know it all clown will deride a nice ride because some factory chalk mark isn't where he thinks it should be.

What you don't "get" is that this is the street rod section, go back to the resto section and be happy with your over priced antique "technology".

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 08:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh I get "it".

same mind set as the resto crowd. Some know it all clown will deride a nice ride because some factory chalk mark isn't where he thinks it should be.

What you don't "get" is that this is the street rod section, go back to the resto section and be happy with your over priced antique "technology".

Wow.
Rude too!

My car is far from a "resto" in any way shape or form. ALL my cars are far from being "paint dab" cars.
My MOTORHOME is highly modded.

Not sure you "get it", not really sure I get you!

To each his own!

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 08:45 PM

An LS1/2/3.....or....an LS9 actually would be pretty cool in the Jensen.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 09:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

SBC is very common because guys are cheap and would rather use easily paid for stuff with a plentiful cheap aftermarket, have very limited imagination and need "Trans-dapt" bolt in adapter type stuff, and
don't care much about heritages and bloodlines compared to end results.
Which is fine for some.

There are many who believe in MoPars because it is what interests them, certain combinations, certain engineering, certain looks. It's what hooked many into cars, the oddness, the outrageousness, the brutish arrogance of certain factory parts. The fact that a MaxWedge car or gator grained roof car could go faster with a LS1 engine wouldn't cross a true MoPar guy's mind. It would be akin to destroying a piece of art to some, or at least altering a piece of art to the point of diminished interest.

Some will get what I say and their heads swirl with ideas and emotions of knowing what I intend to mean, others will wonder why more guys don't pull the inline 6 out of a 1961 XKE and toss a 327 into the Jag.

LS1 in a Mopar just doesn't draw my interest at all. I know a genIII Hemi would draw my interest, but even a genIII Hemi doesn't attract all the old school MoPar guys in the older MoPar iron. To THEM it's a heritage issue, one which I don't find an issue.

So for others not to "get it" about a SBC? Doesn't surprise me.

Thats putting it about as well as i have heard it explained. Randy

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 10:10 PM

Quote:

To each his own!

If you truly thought that then you would never have posted what you did.

You see, that is exactly how I think. You want a SBC in YOUR ride, have fun.

You want me to put something YOU want in my ride? Step off.

I guess to be a true mopar guy you have to be a conformist, which negates your "to each his own" claim.

So which is it? A "real" mopar guy or to each his own?

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 11:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To each his own!

If you truly thought that then you would never have posted what you did.

You see, that is exactly how I think. You want a SBC in YOUR ride, have fun.

You want me to put something YOU want in my ride? Step off.

I guess to be a true mopar guy you have to be a conformist, which negates your "to each his own" claim.

So which is it? A "real" mopar guy or to each his own?

BOTH.
And it's not contradictory in the least.

And this makes no sense-

Quote:

Like I said, I just don't think you get it.
I have a dual quad 440 Jensen. I'm a "conformist"? Maybe it's my large hydraulic cam in a souped up motorhome. Conforming again...?

I like a certain style, a certain way parts are assembled, a certain laook, sound feel. I like engineering in a vehicle a certain way.
Not all my likes are the same, not all my vehicles are the same, I would love to see what you think I "conform" to.

I'm not a fan of throwing a small block Chevy into a MoPar, I think it's the easy way out for guys who think cheap power is more important than the package.

If you want to throw a small block Chevy into a Duesenberg then GO AHEAD.

I won't have much interest, most won't have much "positive" interest, and you will like your vehicle.
To each his own.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/19/11 11:47 PM

Quote:

An LS1/2/3.....or....an LS9 actually would be pretty cool in the Jensen.

MmmMmm....
NO!
Posted By: dOoC

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 02:47 AM

Quote:

True DAT ! ... but it is ALWAYS up on jack-stands

Wasssupy with dat ?

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 03:29 AM

Quote:

Quote:

True DAT ! ... but it is ALWAYS up on jack-stands

Wasssupy with dat ?

Nadda enne more!!!
New house = level driveway!!!!!

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 06:20 AM

Sounds like GOOD NEWS ...but when is the motorhomey-driver/home-owner EVER going to-be level-headed.... hIsSeLf ? ...

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 06:25 AM

Quote:

Sounds like GOOD NEWS ...but when is the motorhomey-driver/home-owner EVER going to-be level-headed ? ...

That will take a while longer........

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 06:47 AM

I'll be keeping my on choo !

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 03:04 PM

Quote:

I won't have much interest, most won't have much "positive" interest, and you will like your vehicle.
To each his own.

There it is "I won't have much interest"

Who cares if you have any interest at all? You do, but as shown it is all about you.

I have zero concern about what interests you or about 99,9999999997% of the people on this planet. I care about what interests me not you and I can almost guarantee that whatever I may build you will never see it, ride in it, hear it or drive it. So why should I GAF about what you want, like or think? or for that matter anyone else?

I get you and your attitude. I also get you have a hard time understanding things. I never said I wanted a SBC in anything. I did say an LS motor, which is not a SBC. Pay attention.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 03:13 PM

For someone who cares nothing for anyone else's opinion, you sure are trying hard to convince people of how "right" you are.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 03:52 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To each his own.

Who cares if you have any interest at all? You do, but as shown it is all about you.

I have zero concern about what interests you or about 99,9999999997% of the people on this planet. I care about what interests me not you and I can almost guarantee that whatever I may build you will never see it, ride in it, hear it or drive it. So why should I GAF about what you want, like or think? or for that matter anyone else?

I get you and your attitude. I also get you have a hard time understanding things. I never said I wanted a SBC in anything. I did say an LS motor, which is not a SBC. Pay attention.

Yep, your right, who cares or should care what you put in your car. I believe the original poster was talking about street rods, not street machines. Get a grip , take a pill or something.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 04:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

To each his own.

I think if you read the original post you will see this thread is about a "350 Chevy Engine."
The thread is what I am replying to, your posts are just what came up that I replied to.
Unfortunately I have been "paying attention".

So if it is necessary- let me rephrase so you know exactly "my attitude".

You can buy a Duesenberg, pull the original engine and toss in an LS1 engine. You now have more power than the original Duesenberg engine did, and after doing the swap the money you save over redoing the Duesenberg engine, which woulda been expensive- will allow you to have steak and champagne with your buddies.

You can take the resulting vehicle to a car show, and you will be proud of your work I am sure.
Many people will walk by your Duesenberg. Some people will like it, as you do.

I have a feeling this is where you stop understanding, but I will post it anyways.

Duesenberg guys will walk by your vehicle, and shake their heads, not have interest, or think you have destroyed a beautiful vehicle.
You MIGHT find a Duesenberg guy who likes it, but it is against the odds.
You will STILL like your vehicle.

It doesn't matter what I think about your vehicle that matters to you, or what the Duesenberg guys think about your vehicle that matters to you.

If you take your Duesenberg to a Duesenberg show, the other Duesenberg owners will probably alienate you because they don't feel an LS1 Chevy engine belongs in a Duesenberg, but that doesn't matter.

You can take out your anger on the situation on them, but it doesn't change things. You will like your car, many Duesneberg guys will NOT like your car, and the result is...?

TO EACH HIS OWN.

Posted By: Anonymous

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 05:24 PM

2010 Popular Hot Rodding Engine Challenge:

First place: Gen III Hemi

Highest finishing LS: Fourth place

Highest peak horsepower in the event: Gen III Hemi

The magazine described the Gen III Hemi's victory:

Quote:

Bischoff's Mopar, as top qualifier, was the last to run in the finals. With numbers in the 2,500s in qualifying and no competitor in the finals other than Lahone even breaking out of the 2,300-point range, it seemed like a lock on the championship for the high-tech Mopar combination. Bischoff seemed to just cruise through the final eliminations, making three clean dyno pulls for a score of 2,502.6, 68.8 points up on Lahone, and 133.8 over Kaase's Chevy. Considering that every competition as far back as we can remember has been decided by a scarce few points, and in one instance, just fractions of a point, 2010 was a rout. Bischoff and his Mopar flat owned the competition, even taking the honor for highest peak horsepower of the event. With such a convincing exhibition of power, no one could argue against Bischoff's claim to the title of "Engine Master."

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginem...gap_intake.html

So much for your vaunted Chevy LS. . . .

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 06:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bischoff's Mopar, as top qualifier, was the last to run in the finals. With numbers in the 2,500s in qualifying and no competitor in the finals other than Lahone even breaking out of the 2,300-point range, it seemed like a lock on the championship for the high-tech Mopar combination. Bischoff seemed to just cruise through the final eliminations, making three clean dyno pulls for a score of 2,502.6, 68.8 points up on Lahone, and 133.8 over Kaase's Chevy. Considering that every competition as far back as we can remember has been decided by a scarce few points, and in one instance, just fractions of a point, 2010 was a rout. Bischoff and his Mopar flat owned the competition, even taking the honor for highest peak horsepower of the event. With such a convincing exhibition of power, no one could argue against Bischoff's claim to the title of "Engine Master."

That's a pretty cool article.

I know it has been done but has anyone ever seen or put a 6.1L or 5.7L in a 30's car? I think it would be pretty spiffy in a 32 Dodge.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 06:43 PM

Quote:

I know it has been done but has anyone ever seen or put a 6.1L or 5.7L in a 30's car? I think it would be pretty spiffy in a 32 Dodge.

For sure.
A local guy almost put a Chevy engine into his 36, but my chassis builder talked him into a 5.7 Hemi.
It's an impressive car IMO.

Attached picture 6540035-carshow010.jpg
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 07:31 PM

MoparRon started a thread on the HAMB about mopars in mopars (traditional hot rods) a couple years ago. Here's my response from back then...

This is a traditional site. That means 4's up until the ford flatty, and not much else except the jimmys until the OHV V8s started hitting. That sorted itself out by the late 50s to the SBC for early fords due to HP, cost and that they fit. Sure, there were other motors, but that was the most common. There were very few rods that weren't early Fords. Then the SBC also took over the musclecars. It also got a lot of help and backing in racing. It is the most common in almost every form, from stock ma and pa cars to off road, to rods, to drag and circle track racing. It is the most available and the most common. Mopars were traditionally a breed apart. They were also-rans, low powered and different. They were not cool, not coveted, and didn't have much history in rodding. The 50's hemi was revered for it's power, but didn't fit easily into the earlier Mopars. The hemi was jammed into everything, and the rest of the car was tossed aside. Again, no respect. The thing is, no one except us diehard Mopar guys cared. We appreciated less wood in the bodies, juice brakes from the late 20s, independent front suspension from the mid 30s, more interior room in just about every case, and a solid frame. The only thing lacking was an easy motor swap. The same thing that made the SBC such a nice fit in a 32-40 Ford. There were a few groundbreaking swaps, and it became okay to have a mopar. There has even been special areas in NSRA shows for decades for the 'different' Mopars. Prices and availability have driven most to what were formerly 2nd and 3rd tier cars. Years ago, rodders would stumble over A's to get to deuces and Model 40s. Now A's are hot. There is a new group of people that compare 40-50s cars across makes and see a good deal with the Mopar steel, without the stigma that they formerly held. That's good and bad. It makes information, new reproduction, kit and repair parts more likely, but drives up the price of the cars and the old parts due to demand. The old hard core Mopar guys may be griping partly due to this, but it's more likely due to seeing that same engine that we all tend to see as boring, overdone and the easy way out, the engine that has the same appeal as Walmart VS the corner hardware store to us being installed in one of 'our' cars. Sure it's really YOUR car, but if you want to go mainstream, just go get a Ford or a Chevy and stick that thing in there. Leave the Mopars as unique, different, special cars. You won't hear this cry nearly as much if you wanted to drop in a Buick nailhead, a GMC 6, or a Olds Rocket. You may get some flack from those who revere those makes. The SBC is like a state religion; they are the majority. They think everyone has the same views, and when they see someone who doesn't, they try to force their views on them too. The SBC has pervaded the landscape, and it's a less appealing place because of that.
Posted By: joedust451

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 10:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm. how many LS1's do you figure people have stuffed into a 65 Cuda? Bet that answer is on one hand.

How many you figure had a mopar engine? All of them. So who's being like everyone else?

Let me guess, most of your rods have a coil over 4 link setup, probably with a 9" Ford rear too.

Be different but only if you follow someone else's rules, lol.

Good point!! Thats why i don't trash other peoples cars anymore, I'll never forget not too long ago i was at my local track racing my Duster, never really had many Mopars there, but one night here comes this Dart, he pulls it off the trailer, whats in it, a BB chevy, did it run good, yes it did, beat my 451, I didn't bother saying anything, he gave me that smerky look, after a while i got to chatting with him, he said it was just cheaper going this way, he had the car & the engine, plus he was a welder by trade, he had about 3K in the engine, car ran mid 10s, can't complain about that.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/20/11 11:42 PM

If you're running a 65 Barracuda, you're already different from almost everyone else no matter what engine you have.

I don't know where some of you get your cheap Chevy engines. My son-in-law bracket races a big block Chevelle, and each of his motors have cost him on the high side of $10,000 - and he's been through several, since none of them has lasted too long before blowing up. Paid $5,000 for the car; probably has 80 grand in it now. It is fast (runs 9's) when it's running; right now it's between motors.
Posted By: 40ford

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/21/11 06:25 PM

If any have a Duesenberg engine laying around----send it to me---freight collect----I might even pay scrap price for it. I will find something for it to go into.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/22/11 01:06 AM

Quote:

If any have a Duesenberg engine laying around----send it to me---freight collect----I might even pay scrap price for it. I will find something for it to go into.

Generator for a motorhome....?

Posted By: moparx

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/22/11 01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

gokart motor.........

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/22/11 01:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

gokart motor.........

Engine swap into a Skoda.
Posted By: Flipper1938

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/23/11 07:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's a pretty cool article.

that is a pretty serious looking intake manifold. Anybody know what it is? Mopar doesn't list anything like it on their website, but I think the drag-pack cars run something similar, don't they?

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/23/11 11:34 PM

Quote:

For some reason this page won't load on my browser.

Did they break down the $$ per hp? Cause cubic dollars to make hp is out of my budget and to be honest getting 500hp out of an LS is fairly cheap and more than enough for most, me included.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/23/11 11:41 PM

Quote:

I think if you read the original post you will see this thread is about a "350 Chevy Engine."
The thread is what I am replying to, your posts are just what came up that I replied to.

Lol, your very first post in this thread had NOTHING to do with the OP's post. It was a comment on my not wanting to spend $3800 for an alterkation kit to put a Gen III Hemi in my 65 Cuda and how I didn't "get it".

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/23/11 11:46 PM

This topic has morfed into something almost as bizzarO as a Mopar engine into a Jensin !

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/24/11 02:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

For some reason this page won't load on my browser.

Did they break down the $$ per hp? Cause cubic dollars to make hp is out of my budget and to be honest getting 500hp out of an LS is fairly cheap and more than enough for most, me included.

I don't imagine cost was an issue for any of these engines, but the Gen III Hemi made 700 horsepower - about 50 more than the best LS.

This is kinda all beside the point, though, considering that most street rods have probably 250-350 horsepower. Cost doesn't explain someone dropping a 305 Chevy into an old Mopar instead of a 318. I've been offered running 318's for FREE. Can't get much cheaper than that.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/24/11 03:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Lol, your very first post in this thread had NOTHING to do with the OP's post. It was a comment on my not wanting to spend $3800 for an alterkation kit to put a Gen III Hemi in my 65 Cuda and how I didn't "get it".

Actually, if you read what I wrote.... .... I never mentioned an alterkation kit, never said anything about you spending $3800 on anything, never said anything about a genIII Hemi in YOUR Barracuda.... that was in YOUR post I replied to, I was replying in general terms...

BUTTTTTT

I did say you "just didn't get it".

And reading your latest post hasn't changed my mind any!

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/24/11 03:14 AM

Quote:

This topic has morfed into something almost as bizzarO as a Mopar engine into a Jensin !

Yeah, imagine somebody sticking a MoPar engine into a Jensen.
What a WEIRDO that would be!!!

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/24/11 03:51 AM

Sorry for changing the subject and getting everyone confused. Gen III's, 350's, and Jensins

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/24/11 04:02 AM

Quote:

Sorry for changing the subject and getting everyone confused. Gen III's, 350's, and Jensins

And

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/24/11 05:09 AM

You know what would really be cool? put a small block chevy in a street rod, never seen that done before

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/24/11 05:17 AM

Quote:

You know what would really be cool? put a small block chevy in a street rod, never seen that done before

And let's put a slant-six in a Dart.

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/25/11 01:43 AM

how 'bout a briggs-n-stratton in a lawnmower?
Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/25/11 02:37 AM

SBC street rod .....boring.

I'd never put one in a Mopar anything. No way..no how.
Posted By: pushbutton

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/25/11 03:25 AM

Quote:

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/25/11 04:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:

add sarcasm here:
"come on the SBC is the cheapest,fastest most powerful,bestest,bestest engine ever made and should be put in ALL the cars in the world"

I really don't have anything against the SBC, they do work well and are good engines.
I just feel that they have their place and in my "opinion" that is not in a mopar.

I would rather spend a few more $$$ and have a mopar in a mopar than settle for something just because it's "Cheaper"

just because you could drop a slant 6 in a corvette or camaro, does not make it the right thing to do.
and the same thing with a chevy in a mopar
"again just my opinion"

But That being said It's your car,do what you want with it, just don't expect the mopar crowd to like it...
and the chevy crowd could care less about a mopar.
but as long as you like it I guess that's all that matters.

This is not directed at anyone in particular
just anyone who is thinking about putting a chevy in a mopar....

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/25/11 04:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

add sarcasm here:
"come on the SBC is the cheapest,fastest most powerful,bestest,bestest engine ever made and should be put in ALL the cars in the world"

I really don't have anything against the SBC, they do work well and are good engines.
I just feel that they have their place and in my "opinion" that is not in a mopar.

I would rather spend a few more $$$ and have a mopar in a mopar than settle for something just because it's "Cheaper"

just because you could drop a slant 6 in a corvette or camaro, does not make it the right thing to do.
"again just my opinion"

But That being said It's your car,do what you want with it, just don't expect the mopar crowd to like it...

I guess the funny thing is.... if I came across a 1937 Chevy Coupe... and was thinking of building a hot rod....

Small block Chevy wouldn't be my first choice. That's for sure. Boring imo.
LS1, LS2 etc wouldn't be my first choice either. Cheap power, but no real "charisma" as far as I'm concerned....

I would look at a 348 or 409 W block, or something old and cool for an old and cool Chevy. If I owned a Chevy I wouldn't want a "belly button" powerplant in it, cheap, easy, or not!

Posted By: DusterKrazy

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/25/11 06:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

add sarcasm here:

"again just my opinion"

I guess the funny thing is.... if I came across a 1937 Chevy Coupe... and was thinking of building a hot rod....

Small block Chevy wouldn't be my first choice. That's for sure. Boring imo.
LS1, LS2 etc wouldn't be my first choice either. Cheap power, but no real "charisma" as far as I'm concerned....

I would look at a 348 or 409 W block, or something old and cool for an old and cool Chevy. If I owned a Chevy I wouldn't want a "belly button" powerplant in it, cheap, easy, or not!

As far as old chevy hot rods..I always thought about Buick, Olds or
Pontiac powerplants. Even the 472/500 Cadillac comes to mind.

Putting a Chevy engine in a Mopar defeats the purpose of building a Mopar. You build a Mopar to be different. A sbc is common and boring.

It's like building a '37 Olds with chevy power. It's no longer intresting. '39 Pontiac with a 354 Hemi...well...that's pretty cool!

The guy I bought my Newport off of has a '39 Chevy with a 440 in it. Been that way for over 20 years

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/26/11 03:11 AM

It all boils down to personal preference......but for me other than a HEMI the ONLY other option I would have considered for my 37 Dodge would have been one of these.

Although I'm not actively looking for a 354 Poly I would definitely buy one if it comes along for the right price and find something neat to put it in.

Attached picture 6549933-0805sr_01_z+vintage_engines+.jpg

Re: 350 Chevy Engine in Hot Rods??? - 03/27/11 03:49 PM

Quote:

It all boils down to personal preference......but for me other than a HEMI the ONLY other option I would have considered for my 37 Dodge would have been one of these.

Although I'm not actively looking for a 354 Poly I would definitely buy one if it comes along for the right price and find something neat to put it in.

Now that engine I would stop and look at, car also, and i am sure others would have more interest as well

Post deleted by moparts - 10/14/12 03:53 AM

Re: vaporizer not working - 10/14/12 10:32 AM

so smoking weed is why guys install sbc's in rods ???????????? well, if you say so..........

Re: vaporizer not working - 10/14/12 12:57 PM

DUDE put the pipe down for a while BEFORE you start typing!!!!!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums