04/19/10 09:42 PM
04/19/10 09:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Brother Scott! I am being careful but also honest! Think about it. If this insignificant "self worth" Broadcast sheet malarkey had never been "invented" as THE WORD in our Hobby, it would not even be an issue for discussion. It appears that the Hobby may have invented their own unnecessary problem!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672017
04/19/10 09:46 PM
04/19/10 09:46 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Dave, as you know, you have my utmost respect, but on this point we are polar opposites.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #672018
04/19/10 10:07 PM
04/19/10 10:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I know we see things different Scott but take just a moment to think outside of the box. Does it make ANY sense that a car with a non original engine be worth more ONLY because it has an original Broadcast sheet? What about Los Angeles cars? Should they be penalized in value or assumed lessor of a collector car? What about vehicles (Hamtramck, St. Louis, Lynch Road, etc....) that for some reason or another, did NOT come with one? Maybe the employees ate too much chocolate for lunch and a run of 40 cars were assembled with passion and no left over paperwork was left in the nooks and crannies! I personally LIKE and choose to buy vehicles that have original paperwork. I also only want those cars that have never been messed with! It makes it a bit easier to identify things that were factory correct!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672019
04/19/10 11:42 PM
04/19/10 11:42 PM
west kentucky
G
gomangoRTSE Offline
pro stock
gomangoRTSE  Offline
pro stock
G

west kentucky
For years in many of the brands (such as GM) the Protecto Plate was the preferred form of documentation. There was also the build sheet which was also a great suppliment to the protecto plate. As time went on, both forms became more susceptible to reproduction. I remember when I had my bigblock Corvette and Chevelle which was documented with the bill of sale and the above documentation, it seemed more advantageous for resale value.

Big block Corvette prices went thru the roof and it seemed that there were 3000 427/425 HP cars out there even though Chevy made far fewer than that. People were restamping blocks everywhere and you could buy or rent the tools from the classifieds. I see Daves arguement and its a good one, valid too, but I would think I would give additional value to a car that would have multiple forms of documentation.

Would I pay more for a car with a build sheet and a non-matching number engine? Probably not. Would I pay more for a car with a build sheet, and a numbers matching engine? Hmm probably so, especially if the car is an upper end automobile like a 440 six pack, Hemi etc, 340 six pack.

I have one of those California built cars with no build sheet. And yes, the build sheet wasnt present and wasnt meant to be a form of documentation, as assembly line workers did usually discard. We have gotten a bit off the subject to the original post. And I sometimes like to play the old Devils advocate. I think Scott unintentionally slipped on the ole slippery slope when he said "if it wasnt original, it was a fake." I dont think you should confine that to documentation only. The roles Dave and Scott play to the restoration hobbyist is very important, and I dont think the poster was trying to fool anyone with making up a repro broadcast sheet. Ive thought about doing the same thing from time to time as a conversation piece. I couldnt reproduce the font of course, and couldnt accurately reproduce the true options in the boxes, and I think it only ethical to type in reproduction at the bottom. My ole 70 Challenger RT/SE is just a non numbers matching 383 car anyway, and you cant make a prize winning bull out of a sow anyway. Fit and finish on a rotisserie is what Im trying to accomplish not complete factory authenticity mistakes and all. d I will be looking for Daves "top it off" items such as stickers, door vin tag, emissions tag, yada yada yada. Just cause I like things looking new, not because Im trying to fake out anyone.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: gomangoRTSE] #672020
04/20/10 12:01 AM
04/20/10 12:01 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

I think Scott unintentionally slipped on the ole slippery slope when he said "if it wasnt original, it was a fake." I dont think you should confine that to documentation only.

I'm sorry but I don't agree, I don't think I slipped at all. There is a clear difference between documentation and parts. I'm actually amazed that anyone fails to recognize that?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #672021
04/20/10 12:57 AM
04/20/10 12:57 AM
Central Coast, Calif.
S
Snoopy Offline
master
Snoopy  Offline
master
S

Central Coast, Calif.
I like having a Broadcast sheet, especially considering Chrysler's inability to keep and protect production records.

Just be glad you don't have an air cooled VW, the only data plate on them is a VIN. No fender tags or any other information on the car that would hint to the installed accessories, paint or interior. The plus side of this situation is that the VW hobbyist don't seem as anal about paint and interior colors and options. As long as your car is painted a color that was available during it's production, they seem to be happy. Same goes for accessories. Must be nice. eh?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Snoopy] #672022
04/20/10 01:19 AM
04/20/10 01:19 AM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
.... but VW has their "production records" for those interested.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #672023
04/20/10 01:29 AM
04/20/10 01:29 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

I think Scott unintentionally slipped on the ole slippery slope when he said "if it wasnt original, it was a fake." I dont think you should confine that to documentation only.

I'm sorry but I don't agree, I don't think I slipped at all. There is a clear difference between documentation and parts. I'm actually amazed that anyone fails to recognize that?

Master Scott.....I don't think it is a matter of not being able to recognizing the difference between the two! Lets get away from cars because our passion sometimes gets in the way of our judgment. Lets use a Diamond as the subject matter. Would it be better to have a "fake" Diamond but have an original "paperwork" appraisal? (It looks like an original Diamond, feels like an original BUT it is not original.) What about an original Diamond that does not have it's original appraisal or paperwork? Consider this.....would the Diamond be of lessor value if another appraiser examined it and re-issued paperwork that certified it's characteristics? Would the replacement paperwork be considered authentic to the Diamond or should it be classified as fake? Is the value of the Diamond determined by what it represents or the paperwork associated with it?

According to the logic being used in this thread, the Diamond (or car) is the "moot point" in the scenario. It has become the accepted belief that the tail actually DOES wag the Dog! Why consider the authenticity of an automobile any differently? The car IS what it IS regardless of a piece of paper! The absence or possession of paperwork doesn't change the vehicle's TRUE status in the least! If anything it only helps to make an uneducated buyer feel better about what they are getting into.

We have lost sight of the "real" factor as it pertains to our cars but use original paperwork as the main focal point. How can people in this hobby be completely satisfied with a car that doesn't possess 15% of it's original parts but then get all wigged out if it doesn't have factory documentation? Is the vehicle the collectible item or the paperwork? Why doesn't the same rationale about cars and paperwork run consistent throughout the entire "collector" theme? I would think that ANYONE who is concerned with the paperwork would be even MORE critical about the originality of the vehicle as it relates to the documentation. What good is original documentation if it doesn't represent something that is original? As I said in an earlier post, we have allowed ourselves to become brainwashed into an inconsistent and biased way of thinking. You can't critique one area to the nth degree while overlooking and accepting another area of similar resolve!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672024
04/20/10 07:53 AM
04/20/10 07:53 AM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Online content
master
MOPARMIKE69  Online Content
master
M

Nashville, TN
Without the original build sheet many options on a car cannot be documented. You cannot know exactly what the car came from the factory with.
Simple as that.
Now continue the

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #672025
04/20/10 08:56 AM
04/20/10 08:56 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
I'm done debating the issue, my opinion has been posted and it's not going to change, to each his own

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #672026
04/20/10 09:11 AM
04/20/10 09:11 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Online content
Too Many Posts
A12  Online Content
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Without the original build sheet many options on a car cannot be documented. You cannot know exactly what the car came from the factory with.
Simple as that.
Now continue the

Don't know how accurate that is but I would think that an original Monroney Label/"Window Sticker" holds more value and accuracy as to what was ORDERED and what options the vehicle had when it left the factory (doesn't include dealer installed items). And a Monroney Label/window sticker was REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW (since the late '50's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroney_Label ) so this should be way more of an by the Mopar community when it comes to REPRODUCTION documentation. There always seems to be about reproduction fender tags or reproduction broadcast sheets but nobody even gives a hoot about reproduction Window Stickers and we see them all of the time and you can have them made anyway you want with any dealer you want on it in most cases....and cheap too in comparison to the other "documentation". If you made a fake...I mean REPRODUCTION Window Sticker then or now or if the dealer even removed it from the window of the vehicle you would be violating FEDERAL law, show me where that is the case with a broadcast sheet or fender tag..............carry on

MikeR

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: bjg] #672027
04/20/10 10:02 AM
04/20/10 10:02 AM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
I love these discussions. We have two of the biggest bats in the Mopar restoration field going toe to toe. I highly respect both of them and feel greatly indebted to them for their investment in this hobby. I also think BOTH of their opinions are valid.
It is easy for me, I have a "lowly" 73 Cuda. The engine matches, the build sheet under the back seat was in decent shape. The one behind the glove box disintegrated, I kept the bigger pieces. The fender tag is original. My car will never be worth what Scott's or Dave's cars are worth but it is mine and has been for 30 years. That is all I care about.
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: denfireguy] #672028
04/20/10 10:57 AM
04/20/10 10:57 AM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
I would say the sheets are more "needed" for the hi end cars, i wasn't going to turn down my demon 340 because someone added sport mirrors, wheel lip & belt mouldings, and hood pins, it's missing the build sheet but did find the owners of the car from 1973 to 79 they sent me pics which to me are of more value

5936617-001.jpg (336 downloads)
Last edited by ademon; 04/20/10 11:00 AM.
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: denfireguy] #672029
04/20/10 11:04 AM
04/20/10 11:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for your support Craig! One thing I have to say is that YOU guys are the ones that allow us to do what we do. We are servants to everyone that makes up our Hobby! There are certainly no insignificant vehicles. The people and the relationships built along the way are what makes this all worth while.

I wanted to say that Scott and I actually stand shoulder to shoulder! You couldn't ask for a more sincere or intelligent advocate when it comes to these cars. I also want to say that Mike (A12) REALLY hit home in his last post. He is 1000% correct with his statement about Window Stickers. Many people do not know that ECS has a separate division that is the support and backbone of our company. Just recently we were approached by a new Electric Automobile Manufacturer to produce (not reproduce) every label for their new cars including the Monroney Sticker. Our company works with State Legislators, the NICB, Chief Investigators for the Auto Manufacturers as well as their Corporate Attorneys. (It took us over a year to have our reproduction Window Stickers approved by Chrysler.) ECS was also given approval to manufacture reproduction Broadcast Sheets (with certain restrictions) but refused the opportunity due to the negative fallout that might result. The point I am trying to make here is that certain aspects of our thought process has become backwards due to some unwritten rule that is accepted throughout the industry. Like Mike said in his post, the Monroney label is MUCH more important than the Build-sheet and is held to strict Federal Government regulations and guidelines. Why isn't there the same sentiment and "taboo" over those items? As a matter of fact, some who have posted in this thread about the Broadcast Sheets (being sacred and off limits) have purchased Monroney Stickers from ECS! Isn't THAT actually a character contradiction in ethics and concept logic?

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672030
04/20/10 12:55 PM
04/20/10 12:55 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
I see fake window stickers being passed off as the real thing all the time. Sellers often give themselves a bad name by withholding the facts.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet #672031
04/20/10 01:30 PM
04/20/10 01:30 PM
Dallas, TX
70challrtse Offline
super gas
70challrtse  Offline
super gas

Dallas, TX
Quote:

What about Los Angeles cars? Should they be penalized in value or assumed lessor of a collector car?

My LA built car has a broadcast sheet.

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Alaskan_TA] #672032
04/20/10 02:25 PM
04/20/10 02:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I see fake window stickers being passed off as the real thing all the time. Sellers often give themselves a bad name by withholding the facts.

Howdy Mr. Barry! Keep in mind that they are only "fake" if done by an unlicensed or non certified entity. I requested an "extra" Window Sticker when I purchased THE first C6 Corvette that was available to the general public. The extra copy wasn't the one that was adhered to the car but it was just as "real" and authentic as the one that it emulated! Quite honestly I don't know if the "copy" was the original or if the one on the window was the copy that just happened to make it on the car! What if the first one that came off of the printer ended up being placed underneath the second copy and the second copy ended up being applied to the window?! This would mean that the "real" window sticker they put on my car was actually a "fake"!! WOW.....now I'm starting to get angry about all of this!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #672033
04/20/10 02:55 PM
04/20/10 02:55 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Quote:

Simple as that.
Now continue the

I agree with that...mostly. As several others noted, the Monroney label also provides the documentation as to what originally was on the car.
My Challenger T/A had 2 broadcast sheets from another car, and its original fender tag. When I bought the car in the late '70's, it was largely original, however it had Cragar mags and the engine had been rebuilt and modified.
I replaced the wheels with factory rallye wheels a few years after I bought the car and all was well with the world, my car was now in its "as built" state, or so I thought.
Nearly 20 years later my car's dealer sales packet turned up (it's a Mr. Norms sold car). Though the Monroney label wasn't in the packet, there was a sheet called an "advance dealer shipping notice" I think it is called, in the envelope which listed all my car's options.
From that I found that my car wasn't optioned with ralleys, so I had to go track down some 15x7 "450's" for my car to make it correct. Had I had that information years earlier when I bought my rallyes, I could have saved quite a bit of money as 450's weren't bringing much money in the early 80's!
It's great if we could all start with original unaltered cars like Dave suggested, but few cars like that exist, and most of us don't have the network to find one of the few that exist, or the piggy bank to buy such a car if one turns up.
Therefore, to do an accurate restoration, or to document a car, some sort of factory paperwork on the car is needed. The Monroney label is great, but if that no longer exists, the advance dealer shipping notice or broadcast sheet is needed as the car's "pedigree". I would think any of those documents is equally valuable, having one is good and adds value to the car, having more than one of those documents is nice but doesn't add value. And having none of those 3 has to hurt the value.
As for the statement that repro paperwork is no different than repro parts, I don't agree or understand that thinking at all!

Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: Mastershake340] #672034
04/20/10 03:23 PM
04/20/10 03:23 PM
Georgetown Ontario Canada
anlauto Offline
I Live Here
anlauto  Offline
I Live Here

Georgetown Ontario Canada
I think a BCS is important to find out how a car was originally built. It's sort of the DNA of the car.

Lets say you buy a one owner car and your intentions are to restore it to the highest level but it doesn't have a BCS.
Before the original owner died he told you it was 100% original and even showed you pictures of it back in 1970....

But what he forgot to mention...The day he first saw the car on the lot at the dealer he didn't like the standard hub caps so he tells the salesman "see those hub caps on the other car there?...I want those on this car...then you'll have a deal" Before you could can say OE Gold the salesman swaps the hub caps.....

Now 40 years later, you and everybody else ASSUMES those hub caps are correct....BUT ONLY a BCS can prove the car was born with the standard caps.....

SEE....ahhhhhh..

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEB SITE !
Re: reproduction broadcast sheet [Re: anlauto] #672035
04/20/10 03:33 PM
04/20/10 03:33 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Funny you should mention that example Alan.
Several years ago I spotted a T/A that looked alot like mine at a local show. And it was in unrestored original condition. As I was checking it out, the owner pulled out his Mr. Norms paperwork, and it was then that I noticed that the car was 2 VIN's past mine!!!
I started chatting with the owner and he told me he found BCS's in his car for the one after his, and it was identical to his and also a Mr. Norms car.
Later after contacting Barry I found that mine was the 1st of 4 identical consecutively VIN'ed T/A's ordered by Mr. Norm's.
The car at the show had rallye wheels on it, and on his sales paperwork someone had written "add rallye wheels". The owner said the owner of the car after his said his paperwork had the same thing written on it.
And someone had started to write that on my sales paperwork, but it had been scribbled out.
So on at least 2 of these four identical steel wheel T/A's, their first owners rolled off Mr. Norms lot in their new T/A's with rallyes in place of their original steelies.

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12