Mesa, AZ
P
Pat_Whalen Offline OP
super gas
Pat_Whalen  Offline OP
super gas
P

Mesa, AZ
Kinda curious. Is it possible to calculate compression ratio with the engine together. It would seem to me it wouldnt be too hard using a combustion chamber volume and p s i during compression stroke. Possible?

Thanks. Cheers.
pat

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Pat_Whalen] #622934
02/24/10 06:31 PM
02/24/10 06:31 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
Senior Member of the Junior Dragster Club
WILD BILL  Offline

BROOK PARK, OH
If you know or have access to the #'s you can plug them in HERE

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: WILD BILL] #622935
02/24/10 07:02 PM
02/24/10 07:02 PM
Mesa, AZ
P
Pat_Whalen Offline OP
super gas
Pat_Whalen  Offline OP
super gas
P

Mesa, AZ
Quote:

If you know or have access to the #'s you can plug them in HERE

Bill: The one number I'm missing, which I know is critical, is how deep in the hole the pistons are. That's why I was wondering if it can be done via some math and knowing the compression value of the cylinder itself at TDC.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Pat_Whalen] #622936
02/24/10 07:05 PM
02/24/10 07:05 PM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Cam timing + how it's degreed in throws in too much of a variable to get an accurate calculation with a cranking compression #. Only way is to pull a head. Then you know for sure, not just a guess.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: DaytonaTurbo] #622937
02/24/10 07:10 PM
02/24/10 07:10 PM
BROOK PARK, OH
WILD BILL Offline
WILD BILL  Offline

BROOK PARK, OH
Sorry but it sounds like if you wanna know your gonna need to pull a head

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Pat_Whalen] #622938
02/24/10 07:18 PM
02/24/10 07:18 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
If the engine is on a stand you can measure the volume at BDC and TDC.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: AndyF] #622939
02/24/10 10:25 PM
02/24/10 10:25 PM
Mesa, AZ
P
Pat_Whalen Offline OP
super gas
Pat_Whalen  Offline OP
super gas
P

Mesa, AZ
Quote:

Engine is on a stand. How do I go about doing this? Same way to measure volume of a cylinder head? Thanks for renewing my hope, Andy.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: AndyF] #622940
02/25/10 09:03 AM
02/25/10 09:03 AM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

I have done this before. Put piston at TDC and fill cylinder and head through spark plug hole with auto trans fluid. Record amount of fluid it takes to fill to plug hole. Put piston at BDC and fill again. Record amount of fluid it takes to fill again. Remember in your math to add the two measurements together then divide by the first measurement. It is not 100% accurate but pretty close. BTW you will have to have engine turned up so plug hole is at highest point.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Pat_Whalen] #622941
02/25/10 10:55 AM
02/25/10 10:55 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
On the stand I'd put a fair amt of (as suggested) ATF in there then turn it over several times to coat the walls etc then turn it upside down/drain it then turn it right side up & at BDC fill it & record the amt then upside down & drain it then right side up & turn to TDC then fill it & record the amt & do the math. Pre coating everything before you calculate will give you significantly more accurate reading I would think because if you dont, the amt left over that is coating the surfaces from the 1st quantity is going to skew the 2nd reading giving you a false reading of more or less CR depending on if you fill @BDC or TDC 1st. How much I do not know but I think w a bit more effort (to precoat) that you can end up w a pretty accurate reading on what you got.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: RapidRobert] #622942
02/25/10 03:47 PM
02/25/10 03:47 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
NO, NO , NO , NO - do NOT precoat the cylinder - that will definately skew the numbers. Besides, all that filling and draining is unnecessary!

Do as Andy said.

Pull the rockers so the valves don't open. Flip the motor so the plug hole is up and level. Bring the piston to TDC, fill the cavity using a burrette (measuring in cc's). Record that volume. Bring the piston to BDC. Fill the rest of the bore using the burrette (this will take a LONG time 'cause burrette's hold surprisingly little). Record that volume and do the math. If you screw up, empty that cylinder and then do it again on a different cylinder so that any fluid residue doesn't skew the numbers.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Stanton] #622943
02/25/10 04:15 PM
02/25/10 04:15 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

NO, NO , NO , NO - do NOT precoat the cylinder - that will definately skew the numbers. Besides, all that filling and draining is unnecessary!

Do as Andy said.

Pull the rockers so the valves don't open. Flip the motor so the plug hole is up and level. Bring the piston to TDC, fill the cavity using a burrette (measuring in cc's). Record that volume. Bring the piston to BDC. Fill the rest of the bore using the burrette (this will take a LONG time 'cause burrette's hold surprisingly little). Record that volume and do the math. If you screw up, empty that cylinder and then do it again on a different cylinder so that any fluid residue doesn't skew the numbers.

Why do you need to fill it twice?

Can't you calculate the cylinder volume?

Bore and stroke you know. You can calculate this with the info you already have.

• The area the piston is down, including the area to the first compression ring
  • valve relieves
  • piston dome
  • chamber volume

are areas that you are unsure of and measured with the piston at TDC. Make sure to measure to the bottom of the Sparkplug threads and turn the motor on the stand so the bottom of the sparkplug is at the top of the chamber.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: HealthServices] #622944
02/25/10 05:05 PM
02/25/10 05:05 PM
Rock Springs
Bob_Coomer Offline
master
Bob_Coomer  Offline
master

Rock Springs
Quote:

Quote:

Do as Andy said.

Bore and stroke you know. You can calculate this with the info you already have.

• valve relieves
  • piston dome
  • chamber volume

are areas that you are unsure of and measured with the piston at TDC. Make sure to measure to the bottom of the Sparkplug threads and turn the motor on the stand so the bottom of the sparkplug is at the top of the chamber.

How would you figure swept volume then?
How would you know what volume is swept, from quench volume?
You need to know the volume at TDC, then any other volume or point of referance..but how will you know at what point the piston is down..Thats why it would be simple to just do TDC, then BDC...this will tell you swept, then quench..
Thats all you need.

Last edited by Bob_Coomer; 02/25/10 05:07 PM.

[color:"red"]65 Hemi Belvedere coming soon [/color]
[color:"#00FF00"]557" Indy engine 1.07 60ft 144mph in the 8th 2100 lbs package [/color]
Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Stanton] #622945
02/25/10 05:44 PM
02/25/10 05:44 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

Pull the rockers so the valves don't open. Flip the motor so the plug hole is up and level. Bring the piston to TDC, fill the cavity using a burrette (measuring in cc's). Record that volume. Bring the piston to BDC. Fill the rest of the bore using the burrette

Yes that makes perfect sense that way rather than my doing it twice "skewed" procedure.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Bob_Coomer] #622946
02/25/10 05:46 PM
02/25/10 05:46 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Do as Andy said.

• valve relieves
  • piston dome
  • chamber volume

How would you figure swept volume then?
How would you know what volume is swept, from quench volume?
You need to know the volume at TDC, then any other volume or point of referance..but how will you know at what point the piston is down..Thats why it would be simple to just do TDC, then BDC...this will tell you swept, then quench..
Thats all you need.

Compression Ratio = Uncompressed volume ÷ Compressed volume

Uncompressed volume = Displacement + Compressed volume

Displacement = (Bore ÷ 2) X (Bore ÷ 2) X 3.14 x Stroke x 16.387

16.387 is the number to convert cubic inches to cc's.

Compressed volume = the volume you measured at TDC.

Quote:

Bring the piston to BDC. Fill the rest of the bore using the burrette ( this will take a LONG time 'cause burrette's hold surprisingly little).

Measuring the volume of the bore at BTC in addition to the volume at TDC just seems like a lot of extra work. With the bore and stroke you are just a couple clicks of the calculator from finding this value, just add the measurement from the TDC to it. Plus it's a big mess to clean up if you fill the bore at BTC afterwards.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: HealthServices] #622947
02/25/10 05:47 PM
02/25/10 05:47 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

You're not ... the first check is the volume at TDC, then turn to BTC and fill the remainder for the second check. But it's only "filled" once.

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Stanton] #622948
02/25/10 09:27 PM
02/25/10 09:27 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I have an old eng book I bought in the 70's and it has a guy in it who did just what is being said and he also used trans fluid. Ron

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: 383man] #622949
02/26/10 12:14 AM
02/26/10 12:14 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Plus it's a big mess to clean up if you fill the bore at BTC afterwards.

How do you figure ??? You don't just flip the engine and dump the contents on the floor when you're done !!! You use your head and with some small hose or tubing you siphon the fluid out of the cylinder. Tilt the motor slightly and properly position the hose and it should get just about all the fluid out. Jeez !!!

Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: Stanton] #622950
02/26/10 12:44 AM
02/26/10 12:44 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Plus it's a big mess to clean up if you fill the bore at BDC afterwards.

How do you figure ??? You don't just flip the engine and dump the contents on the floor when you're done !!! You use your head and with some small hose or tubing you siphon the fluid out of the cylinder. Tilt the motor slightly and properly position the hose and it should get just about all the fluid out. Jeez !!!

Sorry you have your way, I would do mine a little different. No I would not be dumping the oil either, but I would not need to either. Done correctly it will give you exactly the same measurement. I see the reason for the first measurement, but what benefit is there to have the additional measurement at BDC, when it can easily be calculated in less amount of time?

Last edited by HealthServices; 02/26/10 12:30 PM.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: HealthServices] #622951
02/26/10 08:46 AM
02/26/10 08:46 AM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
I don't care how you do it. I just offered some advice as how 'I' have done it. One thing I would like to know,,what is "BTC"?

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: calculating compression ratio with engine together. [Re: CHAPPER] #622952
02/26/10 12:29 PM
02/26/10 12:29 PM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
HealthServices  Offline

So Cal
sorry Bottom Dead Center

Changed it.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.