02/23/10 07:53 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Quote:

Unless it was deflating thru an orifice, falling and/or flying in a vacum, it was NOT gaining momentum.

After pondering my above comment, let me clarify my main point, once the tire left the car, it would unlikely ever gain energy, it could store energy in compressing the inflated tire when it struck a solid object, but most of that would be released on the rebound, it might change direction, and it would change velocity as gravity effected it, but eventually thru friction, air drag, energy absorbed even by thought to be "solid" objects, it would eventually come to rest. However if the wheel was accelerated to very high speeds/rpms thru slippage with the track or the fact that tire was in the air before seperation, it could easily increase is ground speed after seperation as the rotational energy is converted to velocity as the loose tire gets traction, hence the appearance of gaining "momentum", which really is just a conversion of rotational inertia to ground speed. Which is also why so much harm can from a low speed wheel seperation.

Reducing chances of wheel seperation likely should be the focus of prevention IMO.

To carry these thoughts even further, what we may be seeing as well is the effects of gyroscopic precession. It appears in the video the wheel was spinning at a significant speed well past separation from the axle hub. I've seen aircraft gyro's literally tear themselves from their mounts in an event called gimbal lock. This can be a very violent event and some of the tires reactions to each hit (bounce) may have induced a more violent reaction/response by the tire (especially when you see it bouncing around the trucks). This may be what we are seeing vs. it appearing to gain velocity.

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Challenger 1] #619918
02/23/10 07:54 PM
02/23/10 07:54 PM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
I know that there is a slow motion video somewhere that shows what a T/F dragster or funny car tire looks like when they launch. One of tire shake would be better and would help get a better perspective. It is surprising that more stuff doesn't break.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Locomotion] #619919
02/23/10 08:33 PM
02/23/10 08:33 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I know that there is a slow motion video somewhere that shows what a T/F dragster or funny car tire looks like when they launch. One of tire shake would be better and would help get a better perspective. It is surprising that more stuff doesn't break.

Stuff breaks on the car you never hear about as a spectator. When tire shake ocurs there always something broke on the car. That's why we don't paint our chassis because I weld on it almost every week from tire shake. I have had some big time bruises on my legs from tire shake, big time.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: torredcuda] #619920
02/23/10 09:04 PM
02/23/10 09:04 PM
Arizona
J
Jeffaary Offline
Jeffaary  Offline
J

Arizona
Quote:

Look at all Nascar has done in recent years-safer barriers,complete new car,better seats,hans device etc.

All for the driver, not the track workers or spectators.....

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: BobR] #619921
02/23/10 09:14 PM
02/23/10 09:14 PM
Arizona
J
Jeffaary Offline
Jeffaary  Offline
J

Arizona
Quote:

As far as the nitro cars go these rockets are breaching sanity and that's their primary draw. You start taming them then their popularity will dwindle.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Of the three top classes in NHRA, I think pro-stock is the most fun to watch BY FAR. Almost every run has both drivers make a clean, competitive pass. In TFD and funny car, very few runs have both drivers make a clean pass. Almost every nitro run has at least one driver, if not both, smoke the tires/get out of the groove/blow supercharger/etc.... If they would slow the nitro classes down the racing would be more competitive, it would cost less, there would be less breakage, there would be more teams, someone not named Schumacher or Force might win a title, and getting back to the original topic - less chance of racers/fans/track workers getting killed.

I love top fuel and funny cars, but I'd love them just as much if they ran in the fives or sixes.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Jeffaary] #619922
02/23/10 09:49 PM
02/23/10 09:49 PM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Quote:

As far as the nitro cars go these rockets are breaching sanity and that's their primary draw. You start taming them then their popularity will dwindle.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Of the three top classes in NHRA, I think pro-stock is the most fun to watch BY FAR. Almost every run has both drivers make a clean, competitive pass. In TFD and funny car, very few runs have both drivers make a clean pass. Almost every nitro run has at least one driver, if not both, smoke the tires/get out of the groove/blow supercharger/etc.... If they would slow the nitro classes down the racing would be more competitive, it would cost less, there would be less breakage, there would be more teams, someone not named Schumacher or Force might win a title, and getting back to the original topic - less chance of racers/fans/track workers getting killed.

I love top fuel and funny cars, but I'd love them just as much if they ran in the fives or sixes.

You, Jeff, are the exception. Go to a national event and watch what happens after the fuelers are done running.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: BobR] #619923
02/23/10 09:58 PM
02/23/10 09:58 PM
Walton's Mountain, Pa
Steve1118 Offline OP
master
Steve1118  Offline OP
master

Walton's Mountain, Pa
"As far as the nitro cars go these rockets are breaching sanity and that's their primary draw. You start taming them then their popularity will dwindle."

I can't see it. Most folks who watch them like the smoke, the flames, the ground pounding. Back in the day, the fields with five second passes and 270 mph speed offered the same thrill, and, at least as good if not better, show. And, there were more of them. Slow them all down, and no one would notice the difference. You'll still have the same sensory experiences, and even more cars.

"Old age and treachery trumps youth and enthusiasm, every time!"

East Central Director / Chrysler Power Magazine

www.reasbeckracing.webs.com
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: BobR] #619924
02/23/10 10:12 PM
02/23/10 10:12 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
You, Jeff, are the exception. Go to a national event and watch what happens after the fuelers are done running.

That's just a perception on your part. They wouldn't be in the sixes, but perhaps in the low 5's and high 4's. We would be back to 1/4 mile racing for everyone, and you would see more people that would and could come out to race because they could afford it again. And if that's not enough, racers wouldn't need multi-million sponsorships and would be more likely to do what the prostock racers did last weekend, tell NHRA to f off! I hate to say it, but we need a throttle stop on the sport these days IMO. Just like they stopped racing the rocket cars,blown fuel altereds, and front engine fuel cars in the 70's. And before you say they still do race those classes, they have restrictions on them. It's supposed to be fun for all and on the edge, not over the edge.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: camastomcat] #619925
02/23/10 10:28 PM
02/23/10 10:28 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

That's just a perception on your part. They wouldn't be in the sixes, but perhaps in the low 5's and high 4's. We would be back to 1/4 mile racing for everyone, and you would see more people that would and could come out to race because they could afford it again. And if that's not enough, racers wouldn't need multi-million sponsorships and would be more likely to do what the prostock racers did last weekend, tell NHRA to f off! I hate to say it, but we need a throttle stop on the sport these days IMO. Just like they stopped racing the rocket cars,blown fuel altereds, and front engine fuel cars in the 70's. And before you say they still do race those classes, they have restrictions on them. It's supposed to be fun for all and on the edge, not over the edge.

One of the main reasons they need the big dollar sponsorships is travel expenses and upkeep for going to 23 national events if they race the full circuit. In the old days teams used to match race to make money and go to the 4 (maybe) national events a year. Now, running the circuit is a full time job and then some. No time for match racing anymore. The old days are long gone. Slowing the cars down will never bring them back.

And BobR is correct. There is only one reason that P/S and PS/B run BEFORE the fuel cars. The stands would be empty if they didn't. Every class from P/S on down is merely space filler between rounds of fuel.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: slantzilla] #619926
02/23/10 10:39 PM
02/23/10 10:39 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. The reason the stands empty after the fuel car run is because S/C, S/G and S/street comes out. And just because they limit blower speed, mags, fuel pumps, doesn't mean that people won't watch and pay to see the show. They still watch Nascar don't they? And they went restrictor plates years ago. And they still watch the Alcohol classes don't they? How about Pro Mod? Think about it, people will watch the show that is offered if it's loud, pounds the ground and smells of nitro. That's the draw.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: camastomcat] #619927
02/23/10 11:47 PM
02/23/10 11:47 PM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Putting any kind of restriction on them takes away the whole point of Top Fuelers. They are meant to be unlimited and to go as quick/fast as possible. You may as well just have them do exhibition burnouts and/or runs and just forget about the competition aspect of it if you restrict them.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: 67Satty] #619928
02/23/10 11:50 PM
02/23/10 11:50 PM
Idaho
Runner Offline
master
Runner  Offline
master

Idaho
Quote:

Putting any kind of restriction on them takes away the whole point of Top Fuelers. They are meant to be unlimited and to go as quick/fast as possible. You may as well just have them do exhibition burnouts and/or runs and just forget about the competition aspect of it if you restrict them.

there are already piles of restictions on them. they are far from unlimited.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: BobR] #619929
02/23/10 11:53 PM
02/23/10 11:53 PM
tx
C
craigsmytcudas Offline
enthusiast
craigsmytcudas  Offline
enthusiast
C

tx
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

And you slept at a Holiday Inn last night. Right? You need to be there and know first hand before making such an assumption. Please.

I think you should reread the post i was responding to .My point is that a redesign is a bit premature . But since your going there I do belive that nearly all failures in racing is human error . By the way If you need to know I sleep in the front living qtrs of my race trailer when on the road .

Are you kidding? You are assigning definite blame to human error as the cause of this accident without knowing ANY of the details? These are professionals. They have a routine for lug nut tightening and I can assure you that the severe tire shake Antron was driving through had everything to do with the stud failure.

Bob with all due respect you made a human error ,you over looked the word nearly .I didn't assume anything, but human failure still stands formost as the place to look first .regards

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Runner] #619930
02/24/10 01:07 AM
02/24/10 01:07 AM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Quote:

Quote:

there are already piles of restictions on them. they are far from unlimited.

Good point. I guess I should have said putting any further restrictions on them will make them slanted even further to the exhibition side.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: slantzilla] #619931
02/24/10 05:01 AM
02/24/10 05:01 AM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

One of the main reasons they need the big dollar sponsorships is travel expenses and upkeep for going to 23 national events if they race the full circuit. In the old days teams used to match race to make money and go to the 4 (maybe) national events a year. Now, running the circuit is a full time job and then some. No time for match racing anymore. The old days are long gone. Slowing the cars down will never bring them back.

And BobR is correct. There is only one reason that P/S and PS/B run BEFORE the fuel cars. The stands would be empty if they didn't. Every class from P/S on down is merely space filler between rounds of fuel.

NHRA is partly complicit here in doing away with match racing - seeing as to how fuel teams are now limited as to the number of 'test' runs they can make after the start of the year. That was billed as a way to cut costs but it sure put the knife in the match racing circuit.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: camastomcat] #619932
02/24/10 05:13 AM
02/24/10 05:13 AM
The Swamp
S
Sixpak Offline
master
Sixpak  Offline
master
S

The Swamp
Quote:

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. The reason the stands empty after the fuel car run is because S/C, S/G and S/street comes out. And just because they limit blower speed, mags, fuel pumps, doesn't mean that people won't watch and pay to see the show. They still watch Nascar don't they? And they went restrictor plates years ago. And they still watch the Alcohol classes don't they? How about Pro Mod? Think about it, people will watch the show that is offered if it's loud, pounds the ground and smells of nitro. That's the draw.

And a BIG reason the stands empty for the Super classes is because of the throttle stops and timers - no one, even educated spectators, wants to go from seeing flat out runs in the pro categories to cars falling on their face right out of the hole.

And please, save your whining, t-stop racers, I've heard it all before - those cars STILL SUCK to watch from the stands, no matter how much you sugarcoat how it 'makes the racing closer at the finish line.' The paying customer isn't watching you at the finish line if you've already turned their interest off at the starting line. Stock and Super Stock still can attract some fans at a National event, because they haven't lost their visual appeal at the stating line, unlike the Super categories.

Here's another area where less could be more - slow the fuelers down by taking fuel, blower and magneto away, bring the costs down - the sound and fury will STILL be there.

Same thing in the Super categories - get rid of all the doodads and junk, down track timers, t-stops, etc. Less expense, and make the driver actually DRIVE the car or slow the car down via mechanical t-stops not controlled by a damn computer or electronic timer.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Streetwize] #619933
02/24/10 08:19 AM
02/24/10 08:19 AM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Years ago was at Texas Motorplex and opted to sit in the brand new finish line seats. Cory Mac had a blower come apart at about 1300 ft. As he hit the chutes, one of the rotors managed to free itself from the case and come flying across the track at a good 300+ mph, whizzed past the bleachers and bounced off the ground creating a huge dirt plume. There was two girls walking up the return road and the rotor continues after the bounce to whiz right over their heads missing them by a foot or two. The rotor then bounced in the dirt again and cartwheeled over a row of park cars and disappeared into a corn field. When the rotor bounced over the girls on the return road we were all in the finish line stands screaming for them to "WATCH OUT!". They never saw it go whizzing by. I opted out of the stands for the remainder of the day and hit the fence line near the starting line where in my opinion the probability of getting hit with debris is reduced. I'd say most are not cognizant of the possibility of getting hit until you see something like what just happened at Phoenix...

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Jeffaary] #619934
02/24/10 10:20 AM
02/24/10 10:20 AM
NH
torredcuda Offline
super stock
torredcuda  Offline
super stock

NH
Quote:

Quote:

Look at all Nascar has done in recent years-safer barriers,complete new car,better seats,hans device etc.

All for the driver, not the track workers or spectators.....

Not true,they did install tethers on the hoods and trunk lids but ya,they could more.That truck at Daytona a couple years ago did some pretty good damage to the fence and a couple spectators did get injured

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: B Dartman] #619935
02/24/10 10:44 AM
02/24/10 10:44 AM
Left Coast
B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

Years ago was at Texas Motorplex and opted to sit in the brand new finish line seats. Cory Mac had a blower come apart at about 1300 ft. As he hit the chutes, one of the rotors managed to free itself from the case and come flying across the track at a good 300+ mph, whizzed past the bleachers and bounced off the ground creating a huge dirt plume. There was two girls walking up the return road and the rotor continues after the bounce to whiz right over their heads missing them by a foot or two. The rotor then bounced in the dirt again and cartwheeled over a row of park cars and disappeared into a corn field. When the rotor bounced over the girls on the return road we were all in the finish line stands screaming for them to "WATCH OUT!". They never saw it go whizzing by. I opted out of the stands for the remainder of the day and hit the fence line near the starting line where in my opinion the probability of getting hit with debris is reduced. I'd say most are not cognizant of the possibility of getting hit until you see something like what just happened at Phoenix...

The 1978 US Nationals a blower came off of a car and hit a photographer in the back of the head(killed him immediately) as he panned the camera around following the car. That led to some serious blower strap/restraint implementations. Some time before that Clayton Harris, in one of his "New Dimension" dragsters, had a clutch come apart at the starting line and that killed a fan in the bleachers adjacent to it. I believe that was in Martin Mi.

Re: accident at Phoenix? [Re: Sixpak] #619936
02/24/10 11:04 AM
02/24/10 11:04 AM
toledo, ohio
plasticfantastic Offline
top fuel
plasticfantastic  Offline
top fuel

toledo, ohio
Quote:

And a BIG reason the stands empty for the Super classes is because of the throttle stops and timers - no one, even educated spectators, wants to go from seeing flat out runs in the pro categories to cars falling on their face right out of the hole.

speak for yourself, because right here is someone that enjoys Super class racing, and its not the sugar coated finish line excuses that you said. I also know many others that enjoy watching it.
I enjoy it because of the engineering side of it, what they are doing to make the car do what its doing.

Life would be great at the drag races if it was all 1/4 mile and all flat out first to the finish line, you people dont like bracket racing, but sit in the stands and watch super stock and stock racing all day long.
Now I'm not bashing SS, ot STK, but trying to make a point that there is enough room for all types of classes, and to say no one, not even educated people like to watch... well get off your soap box and speak for yourself.

DO AWAY WITH THIS AND THAT, MAKE IT SO AND SO... well how about you just stick with the classes you like and leave the other ones to the people that race those, and enjoy them... chances are even if they made the super classes how you wanted, you'd still be sitting in the stands complaining that nobody wants to watch index racing, its a retarded form of bracket racing...

the stands are empty after top fuel runs probably because people are going to get thier autographs, on the tshirts they buy, on the little cars they carry around, want thier picture taken to post on moparts that LOOK I KNOW ROY JOHNSON, or watch them tear the cars down, they want to be on the rope line when ESPN comes with the camera, They want to be standing there when the Kalitta camp burps the throttle on thier warm ups... give me a break its not becuase a certain class is in the lanes, its because a majority of people that go to national events go to see the stuff they see on TV, and when the TV stuff is in the pits, thats where the crowds go.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10