master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice but you know you can't post a picture without some nitpicking! Sorry to say it but what's with the black bowl vent lever and rod? I have several original spares and they are not black.

John/Scott,been doing these things for 30 yrs,saw a lot with and with out a bowl vent arm but never saw a black one.Maybe just never had one

Sorry Scott, I agree with Bill. You do great work and are an asset. There's no question. I'm not trying to bash your work. I undoubtedly have not seen 95% of the existing A12 original bowl vents. It just really confuses the issue when I see my first black hardware on an A12 carb and someone of your distinction says it can be considered OE? I've been doing this for 40 years and have never seen a 69 1/2 with a black one...especially the actuating arm attached to the throttle shaft? IMO, even if you had one with a black original, it would not tend to raise any questions if you restored it yellow gold rather than black. I wouldn't want a black one just to avoid the nitpicking.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #504604
10/23/09 10:50 PM
10/23/09 10:50 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
I am not attempting to debate any of you guys, I respect you all, and that's not just BS. What I am posting is in relation to my personal experience in messing with these cars (my very first restoration was an A12 Bee in 1987). I am not prettnding to know everything so please don't get the wrong impression, I'm just trying to add to the knowedge base and do restorations to the best of my ability using information I've learned along the way.

Concerning the vent bails, I posted a pic of a black one above as one original example so obviously they exist, I have others on worn out original carbs but it's pretty difficult to prove they came that way even though it's obvious that at least some of them did. There are also some decent B&W photos from magazine tests and factory TSB's that show what appears to be a black vent bail wires. I'll see if I can dig some more up to post in the next couple days. Concerning the actuator and throttle shafts being black, it's not supposed to be black, some originals were a dark golden brown as opposed to gold plating, my re-coloring process makes them look a bit darker than most originals (something I'm working on improving). Here's an example of an original, it appears darker in person, the flash lightened it up.

Quote:

IMO, even if you had one with a black original, it would not tend to raise any questions if you restored it yellow gold rather than black. I wouldn't want a black one just to avoid the nitpicking.

And as I said in an earlier post if you were my customer I'd do exactly that, whatever you asked for. I have the capability to plate just about any combo of colors a customer could dream up, it's thier choice. As far as my opinion on that move, I don't believe in doing anything just because it's the "accepted" way, I believe in doing everything possible to do it the way it actually was, and in the case of something controversial or "against the commonly accepted way" I would make every attempt at documenting the newly found detail so that a case could be made to prove it valid. I don't believe in changing history to please the masses, but I'll do it to please a customer because afterall, it's thier money.

5563519-Actuator.jpg (94 downloads)
Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504605
10/23/09 11:03 PM
10/23/09 11:03 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Looks very original! That is one part that could have been replaced sometime in the life of the car. I will now keep this in mind when I see another one....but I will always feel that the bright one's look better even if I can't dock a point for black hardware!

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #504606
10/23/09 11:07 PM
10/23/09 11:07 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
There's always something new and enlightening to know about these cars. What I think I remember about 1969 is definitely getting more fuzzy as the years go by! Here' a couple of links to the A12 Forum archives of the "Butter Bee" and the 5600 mile "Survivor" Bee carbs
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/Attachments/DSC00053.JPG
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/Attachments/IMG_4609.JPG

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504607
10/23/09 11:09 PM
10/23/09 11:09 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
We all have to look back at the original post here......Base gaskets.
Things have sorta taken a bit of a tangent here with getting into bowl vent levers etc., but even with the off topic stuff, there's still some good learnin' here.
As for Scotts posts, he's taught me a few things from his posts on this forum, and there's no way I'd disbeleive his info..he's pretty well up on his stuff.....A lot of my info comes from hands-on experience with things especailly since I've worked with Mopar in dealerships in various positions since 1966.
PDI'd ,test drove, and (attempted) to fix a lot of weird things during those late 60-early 70's days.....and I have to say I've learned more in the last 5 than I ever learned before. Moparts guys sharing their stuff!!
So....if some of us go off on a little bit of a different direction on a post, lets don't get pissy about it...take in what you read and don't bash. there's something here for everyone...maybe not just EVERY time.

SHould I go hide now??

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: superwrench] #504608
10/23/09 11:30 PM
10/23/09 11:30 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: Alaskan_TA] #504609
10/24/09 01:04 AM
10/24/09 01:04 AM
Shoreline, Washington
72roadrunnergtx Offline
super stock
72roadrunnergtx  Offline
super stock

Shoreline, Washington
On the subject of base gaskets, I ditched the paper base gaskets that came with the MP hardware kit in favor of Holley's 108-9.

Holley quality control issues then vs. now? As another “old-timer” with extensive Mopar dealer experience from back in the day, I can attest to what would be considered a pretty high level of manufacturing defects originally. I would venture to say any surviving OEM Holley today would have to represent the best of what was produced then. A lot of OEM Holleys wound up in dumpsters after warranty replacement.

So far I’ve been pleased with the new reissue carbs on my current project. Other than the bowl screw heads and improved bowl/ metering block gasket composition, the overall appearance of these carbs is no different from the new replacements available back then IMO.

1972 Road Runner GTX 440 6bbl 5-speed
[img]http://72rrgtx.com/carpics/bucket/DSC06730r-1.jpg[/img]
Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: Alaskan_TA] #504610
10/24/09 01:08 AM
10/24/09 01:08 AM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Must be the prototype!

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504611
10/24/09 09:40 AM
10/24/09 09:40 AM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Quote:

Quote:

That's nice....but this reply is like telling someone they should of ducked AFTER getting sucker punched...it's of no value to Me but I guess it's free advertising for You....geeze

Well you could look at it that way, or you could have looked at it from my perspective which is;

I have said it all here before (the potential issues with new carbs), this is not the first time so you COULD have already been told, maybe you are fairly new to this site, but how am I to know that you have'nt read it before?

Secondly, by posting the same info again, maybe the next guy in your shoes might think twice, sure, it's advertising my service, but my service comes with a gaurantee that if you get something from me and experience any of the problems you are currently having I'll make it right ASAP, unlike the experience you are describing. BTW, since I'm "advertising" also know that the brand new Holley Six Packs look nothing like originals did in the smaller details like overall coloring, bowl script, or hardware, refurbished originals will always look more correct and hold a higher long term value if you care about such things.

"Value" to you? It seems like you need to take that up with the seller you bought them from, not me. I'm sorry you are having problems but there's not allot I (or anyone else on this site) can really do for you at this point, I concured with the other poster about a quality base gasket source, what else did you expect?

Here's a set of restored originals I did (picture below), this same set can be seen resting on the 440 Six Pack reference restoration engine put together by Frank Badelson on the cover of February 2010 issue of Mopar Action.

I started this post for help in getting thicker gaskets,not as a platform for debate on 6 pak carbs. I'd appreciate this hi-jacking of My thread be moved to somewhere else

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: terzmo] #504612
10/24/09 10:27 AM
10/24/09 10:27 AM
Cleveland, OH
TWS Offline
top fuel
TWS  Offline
top fuel

Cleveland, OH
Quote:

I started this post for help in getting thicker gaskets,not as a platform for debate on 6 pak carbs. I'd appreciate this hi-jacking of My thread be moved to somewhere else

Then you shouldn't have complained about your carbs in your original post. Others were trying to help you with their considerable experience with these carbs and the quality issues that may be causing your carb problems (i.e. your carb base may not be flat). Quite a bit of useful information here for others trying to chase leaks. Next time, just ask where to get the thick gaskets.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: terzmo] #504613
10/24/09 10:38 AM
10/24/09 10:38 AM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's nice....but this reply is like telling someone they should of ducked AFTER getting sucker punched...it's of no value to Me but I guess it's free advertising for You....geeze

Well you could look at it that way, or you could have looked at it from my perspective which is;

I have said it all here before (the potential issues with new carbs), this is not the first time so you COULD have already been told, maybe you are fairly new to this site, but how am I to know that you have'nt read it before?

Secondly, by posting the same info again, maybe the next guy in your shoes might think twice, sure, it's advertising my service, but my service comes with a gaurantee that if you get something from me and experience any of the problems you are currently having I'll make it right ASAP, unlike the experience you are describing. BTW, since I'm "advertising" also know that the brand new Holley Six Packs look nothing like originals did in the smaller details like overall coloring, bowl script, or hardware, refurbished originals will always look more correct and hold a higher long term value if you care about such things.

"Value" to you? It seems like you need to take that up with the seller you bought them from, not me. I'm sorry you are having problems but there's not allot I (or anyone else on this site) can really do for you at this point, I concured with the other poster about a quality base gasket source, what else did you expect?

Here's a set of restored originals I did (picture below), this same set can be seen resting on the 440 Six Pack reference restoration engine put together by Frank Badelson on the cover of February 2010 issue of Mopar Action.

You need reading comprehension help dude...My only question was where to find the thick gaskets...I didn't ask for ANY other help on My first post of this thread.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: terzmo] #504614
10/24/09 10:48 AM
10/24/09 10:48 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
In regards to your PM to me:

Quote:

Subject: moderator

I didn't start the post for you and another to debate 6 pak setups. Kindly cease posting here or I'll take this up with the site moderator.

Had you left off the threat I would have respectfully complied, however threatening me with the mods?

Wow.....

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504615
10/24/09 12:22 PM
10/24/09 12:22 PM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Quote:

In regards to your PM to me:

Quote:

Subject: moderator

I didn't start the post for you and another to debate 6 pak setups. Kindly cease posting here or I'll take this up with the site moderator.

no threat...I contacted them already..waiting for reply

Had you left off the threat I would have respectfully complied, however threatening me with the mods?

Wow.....

no threat...I contacted them already..waiting for reply

Heck, better take two. [Re: terzmo] #504616
10/24/09 12:27 PM
10/24/09 12:27 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
In case you need one;

5564151-chillpill.gif (72 downloads)
Re: Heck, better take two. [Re: Alaskan_TA] #504617
10/24/09 12:41 PM
10/24/09 12:41 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Also, if there are posts (or posters) you do not like, click on the persons user name & set them to ignore. Then when they post, all you will see is;

*** You are ignoring this user ***

It can make things soooo peaceful.

Re: Heck, better take two. [Re: Alaskan_TA] #504618
10/24/09 12:51 PM
10/24/09 12:51 PM
360six Offline
360six  Offline

Try to find a Ford gasket, their about 5/16 thick. I'll see if I can find a part #. They are felpro. You'll have to open up the outboard bores a little. Do you own a dremel type tool,? works great for this. Oh, be happy

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: terzmo] #504619
10/24/09 12:59 PM
10/24/09 12:59 PM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Quote:

Having a nightmare with a new holley 6 pak setup. Bought from year one about a year ago and it sat on My shelves...unopened till about 6 weeks ago.

Out of the box running??? NO way...front carb fuel bowl float adjust seat was machined improperly and fuel spews out the adjust screw hole with any type adjustment...cause car to run poorly and very rich...so I ordered a new bowl from chicago and it comes in with a small crack in the seat housing...I fix that and front carb is doing well BUT rear carb is sucking air from base...doubled the gasket and still....um....SUCKS...air so I am now looking for the thick gaskets holley makes but can only find ONE source AND they must know of My situation and want 20 bucks....yes...20 bucks a gasket.

Thanks to all in advance...

OH....one more thing...sent an e-mail...PM to year one through a person who posts for them on this site asking if anything can be done by them as far as POSSIBLY sending back the carb for replacement...sent almost 2 weeks ago....You guessed it....NO reply....lol....I've been a year one customer since early 80's and most likely have bought over 10k of stuff from them...THANKS ALOT....

terzmo, guess you should have left all of this out of YOUR original post, would have saved these guys a lot of time and trouble trying to help YOU.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: Dave Watt] #504620
10/24/09 01:10 PM
10/24/09 01:10 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Oh my god,
the world must be coming to an end.

A post on Moparts got off the original posters subject, this must be a 1st

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: gtx6970] #504621
10/24/09 02:13 PM
10/24/09 02:13 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
I don't see any harm in it? You got an answer about thicker gaskets and we had a nice entertaining discussion and learned a little about 3x2 carbs! Now all you have to do is get a new set of carbs that work right...

Re: Heck, better take two. [Re: 360six] #504622
10/24/09 04:05 PM
10/24/09 04:05 PM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Quote:

Try to find a Ford gasket, their about 5/16 thick. I'll see if I can find a part #. They are felpro. You'll have to open up the outboard bores a little. Do you own a dremel type tool,? works great for this. Oh, be happy

Thanks...loking forward to the part number

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3