Moparts

6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE

Posted By: terzmo

6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 05:51 PM

Having a nightmare with a new holley 6 pak setup. Bought from year one about a year ago and it sat on My shelves...unopened till about 6 weeks ago.

Out of the box running??? NO way...front carb fuel bowl float adjust seat was machined improperly and fuel spews out the adjust screw hole with any type adjustment...cause car to run poorly and very rich...so I ordered a new bowl from chicago and it comes in with a small crack in the seat housing...I fix that and front carb is doing well BUT rear carb is sucking air from base...doubled the gasket and still....um....SUCKS...air so I am now looking for the thick gaskets holley makes but can only find ONE source AND they must know of My situation and want 20 bucks....yes...20 bucks a gasket.

SO......does anyone know a source where I can get the thicker gaskets for the base of this carb...may need for all three....

Thanks to all in advance...

OH....one more thing...sent an e-mail...PM to year one through a person who posts for them on this site asking if anything can be done by them as far as POSSIBLY sending back the carb for replacement...sent almost 2 weeks ago....You guessed it....NO reply....lol....I've been a year one customer since early 80's and most likely have bought over 10k of stuff from them...THANKS ALOT....
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 05:57 PM

These are some of the reasons that many of my six pack customers choose to either use thier old carbs or buy a set of used original carbs and have me go through them. Brand new doesn't always mean "perfect" when it comes to carbs being properly set up, that's why every carb I ship has been run and adjusted on a running engine first.

Posted By: RoadRunnerJD

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 06:03 PM

I get thick base gaskets from Frank Badalson (Roger Gibson Restoration Parts) in Richmond, VA. You also don't want to overtighten the mounting bolts!

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 06:08 PM

MANY sets of used six pack carbs I recieve have bases that need to be machined flat again due to warpage. I also agree about Franks base gaskets, good stuff!
Posted By: superwrench

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 06:56 PM

I know that Mopar Performance still sells the 6 pak base gasket kits...the gaskets are about .030" thick and not anything like the thin paper ones I've seen in kits.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 09:48 PM

Quote:

These are some of the reasons that many of my six pack customers choose to either use thier old carbs or buy a set of used original carbs and have me go through them. Brand new doesn't always mean "perfect" when it comes to carbs being properly set up, that's why every carb I ship has been run and adjusted on a running engine first.

That's nice....but this reply is like telling someone they should of ducked AFTER getting sucker punched...it's of no value to Me but I guess it's free advertising for You....geeze

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 09:50 PM

can you supply the web address....I tried moparperformance and got zilch...Thanks in advance

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 10:03 PM

Quote:

That's nice....but this reply is like telling someone they should of ducked AFTER getting sucker punched...it's of no value to Me but I guess it's free advertising for You....geeze

Well you could look at it that way, or you could have looked at it from my perspective which is;

I have said it all here before (the potential issues with new carbs), this is not the first time so you COULD have already been told, maybe you are fairly new to this site, but how am I to know that you have'nt read it before?

Secondly, by posting the same info again, maybe the next guy in your shoes might think twice, sure, it's advertising my service, but my service comes with a gaurantee that if you get something from me and experience any of the problems you are currently having I'll make it right ASAP, unlike the experience you are describing. BTW, since I'm "advertising" also know that the brand new Holley Six Packs look nothing like originals did in the smaller details like overall coloring, bowl script, or hardware, refurbished originals will always look more correct and hold a higher long term value if you care about such things.

"Value" to you? It seems like you need to take that up with the seller you bought them from, not me. I'm sorry you are having problems but there's not allot I (or anyone else on this site) can really do for you at this point, I concured with the other poster about a quality base gasket source, what else did you expect?

Here's a set of restored originals I did (picture below), this same set can be seen resting on the 440 Six Pack reference restoration engine put together by Frank Badelson on the cover of February 2010 issue of Mopar Action.

Attached picture 5562906-PatLyonsSixPacks.jpg

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 10:22 PM

OK....P4529060 is the kit I use....I order it thru Mopar here at the dealership.
These gaskets are a tan colored thicker paper style gasket unlike the dark grey thin ones that I've seen in some kits.
Those thin ones are basically junk...I've been that route with my carbs on my 6 pack.....used these and no problems to my knowledge.
The kit is only 20.00 for all the gaskets (Air horn ones too), so if they're not to your liking, ya ain't out much anyways.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/23/09 11:50 PM

Quote:

OK....P4529060 is the kit I use....I order it thru Mopar here at the dealership.
These gaskets are a tan colored thicker paper style gasket unlike the dark grey thin ones that I've seen in some kits.
Those thin ones are basically junk...I've been that route with my carbs on my 6 pack.....used these and no problems to my knowledge.
The kit is only 20.00 for all the gaskets (Air horn ones too), so if they're not to your liking, ya ain't out much anyways.

That's all I've used for 30yrs,and you can reuse them if necessary! As for the carbs,wouldn't put a set together without resurfacing the bases.If you have any doubts,put a straight edge on a 35yr old carb and see what you have, .
Posted By: HPMike

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 12:29 AM

From a performance standpoint, the new carbs work great. They are calibrated well and the quality of the carbs is above average. I never have any trouble getting these to work great. Yes, there are subtle differences from the originals, but one can make a reasonable attempt to make the new carbs look more correct by changing the bowl screws, and a few other little tidbits.

There is no way to properly set up a six pack until you have them on the car and can run it down the road/track. Even a dyno can only tell you that there aren't any lean/rich conditions and that the secondaries will actually open. Beyond that, you have to get them on the car and dial them in-primarily the outboard synchronization. I get many 6 pack cars in here that have tons of hesitation and falloff before the secondaries come in. Items such as car weight, torque curve, gear ratio, even "revability" of the motor have an effect on the way the carbs will function in the real world.

Terzmo, sounds like you might have had an issue with a flat oring on the needle and seat. Simple fix. If you have any specific questions on your combo-feel free to drop me a PM.

MB

Attached picture 5563246-petex9BEE(Medium).jpg

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 12:39 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Well you could look at it that way, or you could have looked at it from my perspective which is;

I have said it all here before (the potential issues with new carbs), this is not the first time so you COULD have already been told, maybe you are fairly new to this site, but how am I to know that you have'nt read it before?

Secondly, by posting the same info again, maybe the next guy in your shoes might think twice, sure, it's advertising my service, but my service comes with a gaurantee that if you get something from me and experience any of the problems you are currently having I'll make it right ASAP, unlike the experience you are describing. BTW, since I'm "advertising" also know that the brand new Holley Six Packs look nothing like originals did in the smaller details like overall coloring, bowl script, or hardware, refurbished originals will always look more correct and hold a higher long term value if you care about such things.

"Value" to you? It seems like you need to take that up with the seller you bought them from, not me. I'm sorry you are having problems but there's not allot I (or anyone else on this site) can really do for you at this point, I concured with the other poster about a quality base gasket source, what else did you expect?

Here's a set of restored originals I did (picture below), this same set can be seen resting on the 440 Six Pack reference restoration engine put together by Frank Badelson on the cover of February 2010 issue of Mopar Action.

Nice but you know you can't post a picture without some nitpicking! Sorry to say it but what's with the black bowl vent lever and rod? I have several original spares and they are not black.

Attached picture 5563268-Bowlvent2.jpg

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 01:15 AM

I agree Mike, I don't pretend to "optimize" the builds I do to work on any specific car because just as you said, it's not possible to do without having them on the car they will eventually be run on. What I do is to set them up to 100% stock specs (unless instructed to do otherwise) and set float levels, the idle, AF mixtures, etc. and make sure there are no leaks, or other build issues. This gives the owner a good stock baseline to begin any fine tuning efforts in optimizing thier particular combo. As far as the new carbs are concerned I have worked on a few sets that would not run right out of the boxes, mainly because of build errors on the production line and most were easy to correct, however some were due to poor castings (metering bloacks, bowls, etc.) that were not repairable, they seem to have dropped off in thier attention to quality control at Holley. On the OEM details, there are a pretty fair number of smaller items that are quite different from originals, how important they are just depends on what level of correct detail the buyer prefers.

In any event, it's all good, to each thier own, there's something for everyone regardless of what you prefer.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 01:23 AM

Nit picking is no problem at all! I invite it, this is not an exact science and I (and others) are always learning new things about the smaller details.

First of all, I don't plate small parts randomly or to standards I create myself. Some small plating details varied. I've seen original NOS and used originals in both black and gold finishes. I photograph every set of carbs I restore both before and after to document original details and I replate them accordingly. In some cases the original details are gone and the original carbs can't be used as reference material. In these cases there is some guesswork involved and in these cases the customer is involved in the final decision on which to go with, I do not play "God" on the details, only offer suggestions based on my experience. In the case of black vs gold vent arms I have seen the majority of the 69 and early 70's as being originally black, this particular set had been rebuilt before and the original color could not be determined so black was decided on according to the year.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 01:24 AM

Thanks to Mike...Superwrench and 62 maxwagon for the help.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 01:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice but you know you can't post a picture without some nitpicking! Sorry to say it but what's with the black bowl vent lever and rod? I have several original spares and they are not black.

John/Scott,been doing these things for 30 yrs,saw a lot with and with out a bowl vent arm but never saw a black one.Maybe just never had one

Attached picture 5563386-MVC-012S.JPG

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 01:57 AM

Original unrestored 1969 440+6 4391 center carb dated 1709

Attached picture 5563432-SixPackBlackVentBail.jpg

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:06 AM

Attached picture 5563448-a12innj021(Medium).jpg

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:07 AM

Nice car HP, is that yours?

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:27 AM

Quote:

Nice car HP, is that yours?

Nope

I restored that car for Pete C.(badsixpack) in NY. I also built the X9 Bee Pete owns shown in the previous pic. Don't let the pretty paint fool you. It is capable of running mid/low 11's @ 123-124 MPH. With the original numbers drivetrain no less . I have probably had more than 20 real A12's through my shop over the years and while I have had several opportunities to get one, I never went ahead and pulled the trigger.

MB

Attached picture 5563483-beebornout(Medium).jpg

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:28 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

John/Scott,been doing these things for 30 yrs,saw a lot with and with out a bowl vent arm but never saw a black one.Maybe just never had one

Sorry Scott, I agree with Bill. You do great work and are an asset. There's no question. I'm not trying to bash your work. I undoubtedly have not seen 95% of the existing A12 original bowl vents. It just really confuses the issue when I see my first black hardware on an A12 carb and someone of your distinction says it can be considered OE? I've been doing this for 40 years and have never seen a 69 1/2 with a black one...especially the actuating arm attached to the throttle shaft? IMO, even if you had one with a black original, it would not tend to raise any questions if you restored it yellow gold rather than black. I wouldn't want a black one just to avoid the nitpicking.

Attached picture 5563484-BowlVents3(Large).JPG

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:50 AM

I am not attempting to debate any of you guys, I respect you all, and that's not just BS. What I am posting is in relation to my personal experience in messing with these cars (my very first restoration was an A12 Bee in 1987). I am not prettnding to know everything so please don't get the wrong impression, I'm just trying to add to the knowedge base and do restorations to the best of my ability using information I've learned along the way.

Concerning the vent bails, I posted a pic of a black one above as one original example so obviously they exist, I have others on worn out original carbs but it's pretty difficult to prove they came that way even though it's obvious that at least some of them did. There are also some decent B&W photos from magazine tests and factory TSB's that show what appears to be a black vent bail wires. I'll see if I can dig some more up to post in the next couple days. Concerning the actuator and throttle shafts being black, it's not supposed to be black, some originals were a dark golden brown as opposed to gold plating, my re-coloring process makes them look a bit darker than most originals (something I'm working on improving). Here's an example of an original, it appears darker in person, the flash lightened it up.

Quote:

IMO, even if you had one with a black original, it would not tend to raise any questions if you restored it yellow gold rather than black. I wouldn't want a black one just to avoid the nitpicking.

And as I said in an earlier post if you were my customer I'd do exactly that, whatever you asked for. I have the capability to plate just about any combo of colors a customer could dream up, it's thier choice. As far as my opinion on that move, I don't believe in doing anything just because it's the "accepted" way, I believe in doing everything possible to do it the way it actually was, and in the case of something controversial or "against the commonly accepted way" I would make every attempt at documenting the newly found detail so that a case could be made to prove it valid. I don't believe in changing history to please the masses, but I'll do it to please a customer because afterall, it's thier money.

Attached picture 5563519-Actuator.jpg

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 03:03 AM

Looks very original! That is one part that could have been replaced sometime in the life of the car. I will now keep this in mind when I see another one....but I will always feel that the bright one's look better even if I can't dock a point for black hardware!

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 03:07 AM

There's always something new and enlightening to know about these cars. What I think I remember about 1969 is definitely getting more fuzzy as the years go by! Here' a couple of links to the A12 Forum archives of the "Butter Bee" and the 5600 mile "Survivor" Bee carbs
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/Attachments/DSC00053.JPG
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/Attachments/IMG_4609.JPG

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 03:09 AM

We all have to look back at the original post here......Base gaskets.
Things have sorta taken a bit of a tangent here with getting into bowl vent levers etc., but even with the off topic stuff, there's still some good learnin' here.
As for Scotts posts, he's taught me a few things from his posts on this forum, and there's no way I'd disbeleive his info..he's pretty well up on his stuff.....A lot of my info comes from hands-on experience with things especailly since I've worked with Mopar in dealerships in various positions since 1966.
PDI'd ,test drove, and (attempted) to fix a lot of weird things during those late 60-early 70's days.....and I have to say I've learned more in the last 5 than I ever learned before. Moparts guys sharing their stuff!!
So....if some of us go off on a little bit of a different direction on a post, lets don't get pissy about it...take in what you read and don't bash. there's something here for everyone...maybe not just EVERY time.

SHould I go hide now??
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 03:30 AM

Just because the subject came up....

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/MTSC/1969/_Performance-02.shtml?load_img=21

&

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/MTSC/1969/_Performance-02.shtml?load_img=24

&

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/MTSC/1969/_Performance-02.shtml?load_img=26
Posted By: 72roadrunnergtx

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 05:04 AM

On the subject of base gaskets, I ditched the paper base gaskets that came with the MP hardware kit in favor of Holley's 108-9.

Holley quality control issues then vs. now? As another “old-timer” with extensive Mopar dealer experience from back in the day, I can attest to what would be considered a pretty high level of manufacturing defects originally. I would venture to say any surviving OEM Holley today would have to represent the best of what was produced then. A lot of OEM Holleys wound up in dumpsters after warranty replacement.

So far I’ve been pleased with the new reissue carbs on my current project. Other than the bowl screw heads and improved bowl/ metering block gasket composition, the overall appearance of these carbs is no different from the new replacements available back then IMO.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 05:08 AM

Must be the prototype!

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 01:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I started this post for help in getting thicker gaskets,not as a platform for debate on 6 pak carbs. I'd appreciate this hi-jacking of My thread be moved to somewhere else
Posted By: TWS

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:27 PM

Quote:

I started this post for help in getting thicker gaskets,not as a platform for debate on 6 pak carbs. I'd appreciate this hi-jacking of My thread be moved to somewhere else

Then you shouldn't have complained about your carbs in your original post. Others were trying to help you with their considerable experience with these carbs and the quality issues that may be causing your carb problems (i.e. your carb base may not be flat). Quite a bit of useful information here for others trying to chase leaks. Next time, just ask where to get the thick gaskets.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You need reading comprehension help dude...My only question was where to find the thick gaskets...I didn't ask for ANY other help on My first post of this thread.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 02:48 PM

In regards to your PM to me:

Quote:

Subject: moderator

I didn't start the post for you and another to debate 6 pak setups. Kindly cease posting here or I'll take this up with the site moderator.

Had you left off the threat I would have respectfully complied, however threatening me with the mods?

Wow.....

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 04:22 PM

Quote:

In regards to your PM to me:

Quote:

Subject: moderator

I didn't start the post for you and another to debate 6 pak setups. Kindly cease posting here or I'll take this up with the site moderator.

no threat...I contacted them already..waiting for reply

Had you left off the threat I would have respectfully complied, however threatening me with the mods?

Wow.....

no threat...I contacted them already..waiting for reply

Heck, better take two. - 10/24/09 04:27 PM

In case you need one;

Attached picture 5564151-chillpill.gif

Re: Heck, better take two. - 10/24/09 04:41 PM

Also, if there are posts (or posters) you do not like, click on the persons user name & set them to ignore. Then when they post, all you will see is;

*** You are ignoring this user ***

It can make things soooo peaceful.
Posted By: 360six

Re: Heck, better take two. - 10/24/09 04:51 PM

Try to find a Ford gasket, their about 5/16 thick. I'll see if I can find a part #. They are felpro. You'll have to open up the outboard bores a little. Do you own a dremel type tool,? works great for this. Oh, be happy
Posted By: Dave Watt

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 04:59 PM

Quote:

Having a nightmare with a new holley 6 pak setup. Bought from year one about a year ago and it sat on My shelves...unopened till about 6 weeks ago.

Out of the box running??? NO way...front carb fuel bowl float adjust seat was machined improperly and fuel spews out the adjust screw hole with any type adjustment...cause car to run poorly and very rich...so I ordered a new bowl from chicago and it comes in with a small crack in the seat housing...I fix that and front carb is doing well BUT rear carb is sucking air from base...doubled the gasket and still....um....SUCKS...air so I am now looking for the thick gaskets holley makes but can only find ONE source AND they must know of My situation and want 20 bucks....yes...20 bucks a gasket.

Thanks to all in advance...

OH....one more thing...sent an e-mail...PM to year one through a person who posts for them on this site asking if anything can be done by them as far as POSSIBLY sending back the carb for replacement...sent almost 2 weeks ago....You guessed it....NO reply....lol....I've been a year one customer since early 80's and most likely have bought over 10k of stuff from them...THANKS ALOT....

terzmo, guess you should have left all of this out of YOUR original post, would have saved these guys a lot of time and trouble trying to help YOU.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 05:10 PM

Oh my god,
the world must be coming to an end.

A post on Moparts got off the original posters subject, this must be a 1st

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/24/09 06:13 PM

I don't see any harm in it? You got an answer about thicker gaskets and we had a nice entertaining discussion and learned a little about 3x2 carbs! Now all you have to do is get a new set of carbs that work right...

Re: Heck, better take two. - 10/24/09 08:05 PM

Quote:

Try to find a Ford gasket, their about 5/16 thick. I'll see if I can find a part #. They are felpro. You'll have to open up the outboard bores a little. Do you own a dremel type tool,? works great for this. Oh, be happy

Thanks...loking forward to the part number
Posted By: I go fast

Re: Heck, better take two. - 10/24/09 08:17 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't 5/16" be more a spacer than a gasket?
Posted By: 360six

Re: Heck, better take two. - 10/25/09 01:13 AM

Spacer? That's why I installed them. Had fuel perculating problems. They didn't help too much with that.
They have the plastic crush limiters in the bolt holes.
Fel-pro# 60716
Good luck
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/25/09 03:47 AM

I agree on the gaskets I got some and the holes were to small for the carbs to open
I got lucky since the set on my car was new but had them for a long time 15+ years and worked out the box but need some adjustment to realy be right.
Posted By: AARCONV

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/25/09 09:25 AM

my carbs out of the box runs fine....bought from the dealer...
Posted By: 32plyrdstr

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/25/09 01:02 PM

Try Mr Gasket part #49 that is what I use one my six pack and I have had great luck with them.
Posted By: 71TA

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE - 10/28/09 03:02 AM

Did someone mention gaskets?
© 2024 Moparts Forums