Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Having a nightmare with a new holley 6 pak setup. Bought from year one about a year ago and it sat on My shelves...unopened till about 6 weeks ago.

Out of the box running??? NO way...front carb fuel bowl float adjust seat was machined improperly and fuel spews out the adjust screw hole with any type adjustment...cause car to run poorly and very rich...so I ordered a new bowl from chicago and it comes in with a small crack in the seat housing...I fix that and front carb is doing well BUT rear carb is sucking air from base...doubled the gasket and still....um....SUCKS...air so I am now looking for the thick gaskets holley makes but can only find ONE source AND they must know of My situation and want 20 bucks....yes...20 bucks a gasket.

SO......does anyone know a source where I can get the thicker gaskets for the base of this carb...may need for all three....

Thanks to all in advance...

OH....one more thing...sent an e-mail...PM to year one through a person who posts for them on this site asking if anything can be done by them as far as POSSIBLY sending back the carb for replacement...sent almost 2 weeks ago....You guessed it....NO reply....lol....I've been a year one customer since early 80's and most likely have bought over 10k of stuff from them...THANKS ALOT....

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: terzmo] #504584
10/23/09 01:57 PM
10/23/09 01:57 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
These are some of the reasons that many of my six pack customers choose to either use thier old carbs or buy a set of used original carbs and have me go through them. Brand new doesn't always mean "perfect" when it comes to carbs being properly set up, that's why every carb I ship has been run and adjusted on a running engine first.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504585
10/23/09 02:03 PM
10/23/09 02:03 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
I get thick base gaskets from Frank Badalson (Roger Gibson Restoration Parts) in Richmond, VA. You also don't want to overtighten the mounting bolts!

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #504586
10/23/09 02:08 PM
10/23/09 02:08 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington

MANY sets of used six pack carbs I recieve have bases that need to be machined flat again due to warpage. I also agree about Franks base gaskets, good stuff!

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504587
10/23/09 02:56 PM
10/23/09 02:56 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

I know that Mopar Performance still sells the 6 pak base gasket kits...the gaskets are about .030" thick and not anything like the thin paper ones I've seen in kits.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504588
10/23/09 05:48 PM
10/23/09 05:48 PM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Quote:

These are some of the reasons that many of my six pack customers choose to either use thier old carbs or buy a set of used original carbs and have me go through them. Brand new doesn't always mean "perfect" when it comes to carbs being properly set up, that's why every carb I ship has been run and adjusted on a running engine first.

That's nice....but this reply is like telling someone they should of ducked AFTER getting sucker punched...it's of no value to Me but I guess it's free advertising for You....geeze

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: superwrench] #504589
10/23/09 05:50 PM
10/23/09 05:50 PM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
can you supply the web address....I tried moparperformance and got zilch...Thanks in advance

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: terzmo] #504590
10/23/09 06:03 PM
10/23/09 06:03 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

That's nice....but this reply is like telling someone they should of ducked AFTER getting sucker punched...it's of no value to Me but I guess it's free advertising for You....geeze

Well you could look at it that way, or you could have looked at it from my perspective which is;

I have said it all here before (the potential issues with new carbs), this is not the first time so you COULD have already been told, maybe you are fairly new to this site, but how am I to know that you have'nt read it before?

Secondly, by posting the same info again, maybe the next guy in your shoes might think twice, sure, it's advertising my service, but my service comes with a gaurantee that if you get something from me and experience any of the problems you are currently having I'll make it right ASAP, unlike the experience you are describing. BTW, since I'm "advertising" also know that the brand new Holley Six Packs look nothing like originals did in the smaller details like overall coloring, bowl script, or hardware, refurbished originals will always look more correct and hold a higher long term value if you care about such things.

"Value" to you? It seems like you need to take that up with the seller you bought them from, not me. I'm sorry you are having problems but there's not allot I (or anyone else on this site) can really do for you at this point, I concured with the other poster about a quality base gasket source, what else did you expect?

Here's a set of restored originals I did (picture below), this same set can be seen resting on the 440 Six Pack reference restoration engine put together by Frank Badelson on the cover of February 2010 issue of Mopar Action.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: terzmo] #504591
10/23/09 06:22 PM
10/23/09 06:22 PM
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

OK....P4529060 is the kit I use....I order it thru Mopar here at the dealership.
These gaskets are a tan colored thicker paper style gasket unlike the dark grey thin ones that I've seen in some kits.
Those thin ones are basically junk...I've been that route with my carbs on my 6 pack.....used these and no problems to my knowledge.
The kit is only 20.00 for all the gaskets (Air horn ones too), so if they're not to your liking, ya ain't out much anyways.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: superwrench] #504592
10/23/09 07:50 PM
10/23/09 07:50 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

OK....P4529060 is the kit I use....I order it thru Mopar here at the dealership.
These gaskets are a tan colored thicker paper style gasket unlike the dark grey thin ones that I've seen in some kits.
Those thin ones are basically junk...I've been that route with my carbs on my 6 pack.....used these and no problems to my knowledge.
The kit is only 20.00 for all the gaskets (Air horn ones too), so if they're not to your liking, ya ain't out much anyways.

That's all I've used for 30yrs,and you can reuse them if necessary! As for the carbs,wouldn't put a set together without resurfacing the bases.If you have any doubts,put a straight edge on a 35yr old carb and see what you have, .

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: 62maxwgn] #504593
10/23/09 08:29 PM
10/23/09 08:29 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
From a performance standpoint, the new carbs work great. They are calibrated well and the quality of the carbs is above average. I never have any trouble getting these to work great. Yes, there are subtle differences from the originals, but one can make a reasonable attempt to make the new carbs look more correct by changing the bowl screws, and a few other little tidbits.

There is no way to properly set up a six pack until you have them on the car and can run it down the road/track. Even a dyno can only tell you that there aren't any lean/rich conditions and that the secondaries will actually open. Beyond that, you have to get them on the car and dial them in-primarily the outboard synchronization. I get many 6 pack cars in here that have tons of hesitation and falloff before the secondaries come in. Items such as car weight, torque curve, gear ratio, even "revability" of the motor have an effect on the way the carbs will function in the real world.

Terzmo, sounds like you might have had an issue with a flat oring on the needle and seat. Simple fix. If you have any specific questions on your combo-feel free to drop me a PM.

MB

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504594
10/23/09 08:39 PM
10/23/09 08:39 PM
Warrenton, VA
RoadRunnerJD Offline
master
RoadRunnerJD  Offline
master

Warrenton, VA
Quote:

Quote:

Well you could look at it that way, or you could have looked at it from my perspective which is;

I have said it all here before (the potential issues with new carbs), this is not the first time so you COULD have already been told, maybe you are fairly new to this site, but how am I to know that you have'nt read it before?

Secondly, by posting the same info again, maybe the next guy in your shoes might think twice, sure, it's advertising my service, but my service comes with a gaurantee that if you get something from me and experience any of the problems you are currently having I'll make it right ASAP, unlike the experience you are describing. BTW, since I'm "advertising" also know that the brand new Holley Six Packs look nothing like originals did in the smaller details like overall coloring, bowl script, or hardware, refurbished originals will always look more correct and hold a higher long term value if you care about such things.

"Value" to you? It seems like you need to take that up with the seller you bought them from, not me. I'm sorry you are having problems but there's not allot I (or anyone else on this site) can really do for you at this point, I concured with the other poster about a quality base gasket source, what else did you expect?

Here's a set of restored originals I did (picture below), this same set can be seen resting on the 440 Six Pack reference restoration engine put together by Frank Badelson on the cover of February 2010 issue of Mopar Action.

Nice but you know you can't post a picture without some nitpicking! Sorry to say it but what's with the black bowl vent lever and rod? I have several original spares and they are not black.

5563268-Bowlvent2.jpg (279 downloads)
Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: HPMike] #504595
10/23/09 09:15 PM
10/23/09 09:15 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
I agree Mike, I don't pretend to "optimize" the builds I do to work on any specific car because just as you said, it's not possible to do without having them on the car they will eventually be run on. What I do is to set them up to 100% stock specs (unless instructed to do otherwise) and set float levels, the idle, AF mixtures, etc. and make sure there are no leaks, or other build issues. This gives the owner a good stock baseline to begin any fine tuning efforts in optimizing thier particular combo. As far as the new carbs are concerned I have worked on a few sets that would not run right out of the boxes, mainly because of build errors on the production line and most were easy to correct, however some were due to poor castings (metering bloacks, bowls, etc.) that were not repairable, they seem to have dropped off in thier attention to quality control at Holley. On the OEM details, there are a pretty fair number of smaller items that are quite different from originals, how important they are just depends on what level of correct detail the buyer prefers.

In any event, it's all good, to each thier own, there's something for everyone regardless of what you prefer.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #504596
10/23/09 09:23 PM
10/23/09 09:23 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Nit picking is no problem at all! I invite it, this is not an exact science and I (and others) are always learning new things about the smaller details.

First of all, I don't plate small parts randomly or to standards I create myself. Some small plating details varied. I've seen original NOS and used originals in both black and gold finishes. I photograph every set of carbs I restore both before and after to document original details and I replate them accordingly. In some cases the original details are gone and the original carbs can't be used as reference material. In these cases there is some guesswork involved and in these cases the customer is involved in the final decision on which to go with, I do not play "God" on the details, only offer suggestions based on my experience. In the case of black vs gold vent arms I have seen the majority of the 69 and early 70's as being originally black, this particular set had been rebuilt before and the original color could not be determined so black was decided on according to the year.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: HPMike] #504597
10/23/09 09:24 PM
10/23/09 09:24 PM
Pendleton NY
T
terzmo Offline OP
top fuel
terzmo  Offline OP
top fuel
T

Pendleton NY
Thanks to Mike...Superwrench and 62 maxwagon for the help.

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: RoadRunnerJD] #504598
10/23/09 09:34 PM
10/23/09 09:34 PM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice but you know you can't post a picture without some nitpicking! Sorry to say it but what's with the black bowl vent lever and rod? I have several original spares and they are not black.

John/Scott,been doing these things for 30 yrs,saw a lot with and with out a bowl vent arm but never saw a black one.Maybe just never had one

5563386-MVC-012S.JPG (192 downloads)
Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: 62maxwgn] #504599
10/23/09 09:57 PM
10/23/09 09:57 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Original unrestored 1969 440+6 4391 center carb dated 1709

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504600
10/23/09 10:06 PM
10/23/09 10:06 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: HPMike] #504601
10/23/09 10:07 PM
10/23/09 10:07 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Nice car HP, is that yours?

Re: 6 pak base gaskets..HOLLEY..& YEAR ONE [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #504602
10/23/09 10:27 PM
10/23/09 10:27 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Nice car HP, is that yours?

Nope

I restored that car for Pete C.(badsixpack) in NY. I also built the X9 Bee Pete owns shown in the previous pic. Don't let the pretty paint fool you. It is capable of running mid/low 11's @ 123-124 MPH. With the original numbers drivetrain no less . I have probably had more than 20 real A12's through my shop over the years and while I have had several opportunities to get one, I never went ahead and pulled the trigger.

MB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3