05/15/09 11:28 PM
United States
D
DSLStuff Offline
DSLStuff  Offline
D

United States
That stuff looks interesting to mix.

They can't make any colors other that what is on their sheet. At least that is what they told me.

Saw a old latch style fridge on my way home that would make a good test bed. But no room for it. I have some colors I want to try.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 70gs] #38755
05/15/09 11:42 PM
05/15/09 11:42 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I wonder if its possible to mix this stuff in some rustoleum???
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Silver-Ho...alenotsupported

I was thinking of adding it to a shade of blue if it would work.
Also has anyone had home depot mix rustoleum paint to your desired color?
Thanks for any help

Nah... don't think so. If you read the ebay ad, it mentions that you put this stuff in with 'clear coat'... and that makes sense.

If you put that stuff in with Tremclad or Brightside, our paints would totally envelope those color pigments and you wouldn't even know they were there or mixed in with the paint.

To try to explain this at the simplest level... imagine you put a cup of white rice in with black paint or red paint etc. You wouldn't see the white of the rice... because the paint would completely cover it up.

But if you poured a cup of rice in to a clear coating... well you would be able to see every detail of those rice and their color.

That stuff might be handy at the end of a 'roll your own' paint job. Do up your car to completion in the color that you wish... and at the final stage spray on a clear coat with that stuff mixed in ( or have that spray job done by a pro paint shop ).

Last edited by Marq; 05/15/09 11:44 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Marq] #38756
05/16/09 12:48 AM
05/16/09 12:48 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
Read a little deeper Marq, it says mix with any clear coat or paint. With as thin as is recommended to apply rustoleum (or which ever brand you choose), the effect should appear with no problem. The big problem is going to be the same problem as with metallic paints: getting the flakes, or particles, to lay correctly and not completely sand it away. The question in application, at least in our roll-on case, would be whether to use the product at the first application of paint or at later stages. I think the two different choices might yield two entirely different results.

I would be really interested to see how it turns out.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: dodgeram440] #38757
05/16/09 09:43 AM
05/16/09 09:43 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
I don't know... I would still hold to my original speculation that the paint would overwhelm the color particles and alter or block the particles ability to refract/reflect light.

I understand what you mean about the roll on paint being extremely thin with each layer that we apply. That does make it a 'little more' possible then if it was just straight paint ( without the heavy thinning that we put it through )

And I can also see how a build up of multiple layers of our thin mixture 'might' give give some effect... ( here we are dealing with how light would reflect/refract off the multiple depths of the paint with those color particles in them.

But I suspect that even our thinned paint mix would lay on 'some' color coating that would greatly reduce the effect that those color particles can give.

In the case of a multi-layer paint job with the particles, I would suspect that the accumulative layering of colored paint would basically 'tint' away the full color spectrum that those particles are designed to give. For example, if you used them in a multi-layers baby blue paint... the particles would tend to take on a baby blue effect and lose the other colors of the spectrum.

The best place for the optimum effect of those color particles is on the final layer only. Because you have to just imagine how they work... they need the light spectrum to be able to reach them, in order for them to refract/reflect the color spectrum back at you.

Anything that affects the amount of light that reaches those particles will in turn reduce the amount of reflection/refraction that they give off.

That is why a 'clear coat' applied as the final layer... is the most optimal situation to allow the particles to do what they are designed to do... refract/reflect colors of the light spectrum.

Maybe someone will invest a few bucks and give it a 'real world test' to see if my understanding of light refraction/reflection proves correct or wrong in actual practice

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: DSLStuff] #38758
05/16/09 05:59 PM
05/16/09 05:59 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what part of the paint gives this the mettalic look??
and can you replicate it with brightside

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #38759
05/16/09 06:57 PM
05/16/09 06:57 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
DSLstuff, who originally posted that pic of his paint job, said that he mixed hunter green, black, and aluminum to get the color he wanted. It would be my guess that it is the aluminum paint mixed in that gives it the metallic look. I would assume that using the same technique you could do the same thing with brightside paint.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: dodgeram440] #38760
05/18/09 06:15 AM
05/18/09 06:15 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

has anyone tried painting a car with a wagner hvlp?
i know its not intended for automotive use and will not spray as fine as a hvlp driven by a compressor

but for the sake of saving time can anyone tell me why it would be a bad idea to use one of these?

Wagner Control Spray

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #38761
05/18/09 07:01 PM
05/18/09 07:01 PM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
There is actually a post about this topic back among these many pages of this thread. It wasn't recommended, and I wouldn't recommend it either. Going by experience, the Wagner Power Painter I painted my house with did not coat evenly, and when the cup got low, which was very quickly, the paint would glop and spatter.

Works great on the house, not on a car.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: dodgeram440] #38762
05/18/09 11:10 PM
05/18/09 11:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The gun i posted is not a powerpainter

It's called the control spray and it's basically a handheld version of a turbine powered hvlp gun

much better finish than the powerpainter or so I've been told

anyone have expereince with one of these?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III #38763
05/18/09 11:38 PM
05/18/09 11:38 PM
usa
A
aussie Offline
aussie  Offline
A

usa
Quote:

That colour is amazing

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Marq] #38764
05/19/09 02:21 PM
05/19/09 02:21 PM
arizona
70gs Offline
70gs  Offline

arizona
Quote:

I don't know... I would still hold to my original speculation that the paint would overwhelm the color particles and alter or block the particles ability to refract/reflect light.

I understand what you mean about the roll on paint being extremely thin with each layer that we apply. That does make it a 'little more' possible then if it was just straight paint ( without the heavy thinning that we put it through )

And I can also see how a build up of multiple layers of our thin mixture 'might' give give some effect... ( here we are dealing with how light would reflect/refract off the multiple depths of the paint with those color particles in them.

But I suspect that even our thinned paint mix would lay on 'some' color coating that would greatly reduce the effect that those color particles can give.

In the case of a multi-layer paint job with the particles, I would suspect that the accumulative layering of colored paint would basically 'tint' away the full color spectrum that those particles are designed to give. For example, if you used them in a multi-layers baby blue paint... the particles would tend to take on a baby blue effect and lose the other colors of the spectrum.

The best place for the optimum effect of those color particles is on the final layer only. Because you have to just imagine how they work... they need the light spectrum to be able to reach them, in order for them to refract/reflect the color spectrum back at you.

Anything that affects the amount of light that reaches those particles will in turn reduce the amount of reflection/refraction that they give off.

That is why a 'clear coat' applied as the final layer... is the most optimal situation to allow the particles to do what they are designed to do... refract/reflect colors of the light spectrum.

Maybe someone will invest a few bucks and give it a 'real world test' to see if my understanding of light refraction/reflection proves correct or wrong in actual practice

Thanks for all the reply's fella's

Im going to try spraying some mixed in rusto this weekend. If that doesn't work, I'll try it in a clear coat. I have several trunklids to practice on
Im thinking Marq is most likely right, but what the hell, its worth a try

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 70gs] #38765
05/21/09 04:31 PM
05/21/09 04:31 PM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline OP
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline OP
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
My truck has been sitting in the driveway since the 1st of the year under a cover, just pulled the cover off and it looks like its time to break out the Porter-Cable and compound and bring the color back out.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 69DartGT] #38766
05/25/09 02:35 AM
05/25/09 02:35 AM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
I'm in the process of stripping the paint off my car. I'm going to paint it with brightside black. I'm also going to primer the whole car with rustoleum rusty metal primer before painting it.

I have some rustoleum prof. gloss black paint left over from previous painting.

A question i have is would it be of any help as far as coverage goes to apply the rustoleum prof. gloss black first and then lay the brightside black over it or just use the brightside paint.

Thanks in advance for all who reply.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: pdqvsix] #38767
05/25/09 02:03 PM
05/25/09 02:03 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I have some rustoleum prof. gloss black paint left over from previous painting.

A question i have is would it be of any help as far as coverage goes to apply the rustoleum prof. gloss black first and then lay the brightside black over it or just use the brightside paint.

Ok.... there would be no problem using the Rustoleum gloss black first and later using the Brightside. That is basically what I did on my McLaren, albeit I was using fire red.

The main advantge would be cost. It is cheaper to lay on those first initial coverage layers using the Rustoleum, since it cost less. That is about the only advantage to using Rustoleum for the initial coats... as the amount of work and ongoing surface preparation will be basically the same.

One nice thing about using the Rustoleum for the base and initial coats is that you can easily buy spray aerosols of the Rustoleum high gloss black for spraying in to the nooks and crannies of the doors and other hard to reach spots where a brush or roller have difficulty reaching.

White Comet Finished- Thanks Mopar Forum!!! [Re: Marq] #38768
05/25/09 04:18 PM
05/25/09 04:18 PM
San Francisco
M
Mercurymarc Offline
Mercurymarc  Offline
M

San Francisco
Thanks to all the helpful folks on this list- my blue Comet has now emerged glistening white! I got the ultimate compliment when driving to the local auto parts store when a guy stopped me and told me he loved the paint! And he almost fainted when I told him rolled the car with stuff from the local hardware store!!!

More pics on my website: The White Comet

Thanks again!

Marc in SF
63 WHITE Comet

Last edited by Mercurymarc; 05/26/09 10:55 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Marq] #38769
05/26/09 01:47 AM
05/26/09 01:47 AM
Ohio
P
pdqvsix Offline
pdqvsix  Offline
P

Ohio
Thank you Marq

Re: White Comet Finished- Thanks Mopar Forum!!! [Re: Mercurymarc] #38770
05/26/09 06:32 PM
05/26/09 06:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Thanks to all the helpful folks on this list- my blue Comet has now emerged glistening white! I got the ultimate compliment when driving to the local auto part store when gut stopped me and told me he loved the paint! And he almost fainted when I told him rolled the car with stuff from the local hardware store!!!

More pics on my website: The White Comet

Thanks again!

Marc in SF
63 WHITE Comet

Looks great Marc in SF. Pretty amazing what we can do with patience, a little work, and very little money. Way to go!

Re: White Comet Finished- Thanks Mopar Forum!!! #38771
05/27/09 01:47 PM
05/27/09 01:47 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Thanks to all the helpful folks on this list- my blue Comet has now emerged glistening white! I got the ultimate compliment when driving to the local auto part store when gut stopped me and told me he loved the paint! And he almost fainted when I told him rolled the car with stuff from the local hardware store!!!

One of my favorite reasons for hanging around in this forum is to see when projects get completed... the pics make all the words worthwhile

PS : I popped over to your web site and the car looks great from all the shots you posted. Enjoy.

New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: Marq] #38772
05/27/09 09:19 PM
05/27/09 09:19 PM
California
1971ford Offline
1971ford  Offline

California
im almost ready to paint my truck but i noticed that the old maaco paint is flaking off. I can scratch the jagged edges of the old maaco paint and it will flake off revealing metal underneat. Do i have to strip the whole truck or 90% of it to get all this flaking off so it doesnt make my rustoleum flake off?

Last edited by 69DartGT; 06/01/09 01:42 PM.
New Paint job on a budget thread Part III [Re: 1971ford] #38773
05/28/09 09:04 AM
05/28/09 09:04 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

im almost ready to paint my truck but i noticed that the old maaco paint is flaking off. I can scratch the jagged edges of the old maaco paint and it will flake off revealing metal underneat. Do i have to strip the whole truck or 90% of it to get all this flaking off so it doesnt make my rustoleum flake off?

Definitely sand the old paint down to the point where you have a stable surface to paint on. If you paint over 'old paint' that is barely clinging on to the body... well it won't be too long before that bad subsurface lets go and takes the fresh paint on it with it...

Just remember how much emphasis we have always made about the initial surface preparation having the most effect on the final finished product for appearance and longevity.

Last edited by 69DartGT; 06/01/09 01:43 PM.
Page 123 of 167 1 2 121 122 123 124 125 166 167