11/17/07 12:56 AM
11/17/07 12:56 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
So then the amount of paint needed depends on the time of year and temperatures? I wanna try this on my truck, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it. Most likely probably next summer. I guess I could always get a gallon of paint, then I would always have mixed paint on hand for repairs nd touch ups.

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: dodgeram440] #37695
11/17/07 03:57 AM
11/17/07 03:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

frank1380 , what Polishing compound are you using? and what orbiter?

I am going out tommorow to purchase an orbiter and dont want to spend alot of money, could use some help here

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: dodgeram440] #37696
11/17/07 08:08 AM
11/17/07 08:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

440..I think a gallon for your shortbed should be more than enough. Try to find a cool and dry time of year to paint and save yourself some aggravation.

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: dodgeram440] #37697
11/17/07 08:00 PM
11/17/07 08:00 PM
Michigan, USA
M
mopar jason Offline
mopar jason  Offline
M

Michigan, USA
I stopped by ace hardware today. Looked at the colors they had in rust stop. Asked the guy if he could color match a picture of a sublime charger I had. Said he couldnt do it cause that is automotive paint. Said he has no way of cross referencing between auto and stop rust brand. So I looked at the color swatches he had on other paint. I found one that was close but he said he couldn't do it. Something about needing a special base to mix it. I have given up on painting my car a sublime color. I think I am going to go with a standard premixed paint. I see they also sell them in spray cans which might make it easy to paint the hard stuff. Like hood hinges and such. I am now thinking maybe a blue or red. I may just buy a couple of spray cans of paint to get an idea on colors. Cause that international blue used to paint that tailgate looks darker in the color swatch than it does in the pictures. I might have to go through the previous threads and look at more colors also. I appreciate the help guys and happy painting.

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: mopar jason] #37698
11/17/07 08:30 PM
11/17/07 08:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

anyone have a link to a step by step Polishing / Waxing?

how do you correctly apply turtle wax polishing compound anyone know?

Re: Long time reader first time poster #37699
11/17/07 09:48 PM
11/17/07 09:48 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Looks good frank... which paint and color are you using?

It's Ace Hardware's Rust Stop and the color I got is International Blue. I went down there because I read somewhere that they could color match. I wanted a good "Ford Blue" and this one seemed a good match and was one of the pre-made colors.

Quote:

My question is, how much paint will I need to do my 86 1/2ton Ram?

I bought 1 gallon for my 1997 F-150 and I may end up using half of it or maybe two thirds. I'm not painting the bed because it has a Line-X spray-in bedliner. The gallon of Ace's Rust Stop was $18.99

Quote:

The orbital polisher I bought is the Porter-Cable 7424. It was the budget blower as it cost me upwards of $150. I'm sure you can get a less expensive one. The polishing compound I bought is the SSR2.5 made by Poorboy's World. But I may end up getting the SSR1 to finish it as it still has some scratch marks in it. I bought the polisher and the compound from Autogeek.net. They also have a couple of good tutorial videos for polishing that I found very helpful.

I'm still updating my little page with the progress on the rest of the truck.

http://www.knology.net/~guywithalaserbeam/paint.html

Re: Long time reader first time poster #37700
11/17/07 10:20 PM
11/17/07 10:20 PM
MN
T
tsbrewers Offline
tsbrewers  Offline
T

MN
Quote:

Quote:

Looks good frank... which paint and color are you using?

It's Ace Hardware's Rust Stop and the color I got is International Blue. I went down there because I read somewhere that they could color match. I wanted a good "Ford Blue" and this one seemed a good match and was one of the pre-made colors.

Quote:

My question is, how much paint will I need to do my 86 1/2ton Ram?

I bought 1 gallon for my 1997 F-150 and I may end up using half of it or maybe two thirds. I'm not painting the bed because it has a Line-X spray-in bedliner. The gallon of Ace's Rust Stop was $18.99

Quote:

The orbital polisher I bought is the Porter-Cable 7424. It was the budget blower as it cost me upwards of $150. I'm sure you can get a less expensive one. The polishing compound I bought is the SSR2.5 made by Poorboy's World. But I may end up getting the SSR1 to finish it as it still has some scratch marks in it. I bought the polisher and the compound from Autogeek.net. They also have a couple of good tutorial videos for polishing that I found very helpful.

I'm still updating my little page with the progress on the rest of the truck.

http://www.knology.net/~guywithalaserbeam/paint.html

Personally I would pull all the badges. If you are going to go through all the work, might as well do it correctly. Usually they held on by double sided tape. Can be removed with a heat gun, hair dryer, or take some fishing like and cut it off first.

Also might as well pull the bug deflector.

Brew

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: mopar jason] #37701
11/18/07 12:40 AM
11/18/07 12:40 AM
Piqua, Ohio
dodgeram440 Offline
master
dodgeram440  Offline
master

Piqua, Ohio
Quote:

I stopped by ace hardware today. Looked at the colors they had in rust stop. Asked the guy if he could color match a picture of a sublime charger I had. Said he couldnt do it cause that is automotive paint. Said he has no way of cross referencing between auto and stop rust brand. So I looked at the color swatches he had on other paint. I found one that was close but he said he couldn't do it. Something about needing a special base to mix it. I have given up on painting my car a sublime color. I think I am going to go with a standard premixed paint. I see they also sell them in spray cans which might make it easy to paint the hard stuff. Like hood hinges and such. I am now thinking maybe a blue or red. I may just buy a couple of spray cans of paint to get an idea on colors. Cause that international blue used to paint that tailgate looks darker in the color swatch than it does in the pictures. I might have to go through the previous threads and look at more colors also. I appreciate the help guys and happy painting.

When I asked, I didn't think about custom colors like that. I just wanted to see if they could mix colors other than white, black, red, blue and yellow. On the color chart I looked at, there was a really cool purple that I think I've settled on, with a flat black hood with gloss black racing stripes with subtle purple ghost flames airbrushed in. Looks awesome in my mind, hope it looks as good when it's finished.

I've been using the Rustoleum automotive spray primer to do my bodywork, as well as flat black spray paint for my grill and headlight surrounds, and Rustoleum "Hammered" black spray paint for my engine brackets to go on my chrysler orange 440. It would be nice to find a matching purple spray paint to paint the hard to reach areas like the door frames, but I will probably have to stick with a brush, or maybe my airbrush. I do have a small touchup gun, maybe that would work.

3960610-MyRam4.JPG (211 downloads)
Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: dodgeram440] #37702
11/18/07 02:37 AM
11/18/07 02:37 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

^ that truck looks like it's going to be a long project ..hehe

I've been searching about Polish and wax for quite some time on here now, and after 2 of Aussie's posts i am convinced that I'll be returning my "turtle wax polishing compound" that I bought today.

But because we don't get Poorboy's SSR products in Canada, what other Polisher do you guys recommend? Preferably something cheap!

Thanks! Pics to come very soon!!

Re: Long time reader first time poster #37703
11/18/07 07:48 AM
11/18/07 07:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I went with 3M rubbing compound and then 3m Finesse It on the first roller job I did. Have since switched to System One and love it as it polishes to a great shine and has everything you need in the kit.

Re: Long time reader first time poster #37704
11/18/07 07:58 AM
11/18/07 07:58 AM
Virginia
T
tett Offline
tett  Offline
T

Virginia
rccs,

Where did you get your System One, and if you don't mind my asking, how much is the kit? I like the one polish idea.

I checked Eastwood but could only find Liquid Ice, which seems to be the same type of arrangment.

Do you use a rotary or a random orbit when you do it?

Thanks.

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: tett] #37705
11/18/07 09:16 AM
11/18/07 09:16 AM
MN
T
tsbrewers Offline
tsbrewers  Offline
T

MN
if you guys want to find out everything there is to know about polishing, go to autopia.org and do some reading. Just remember as with any forum, every questions has been asked so try to search first.

Brew

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: tsbrewers] #37706
11/18/07 09:56 AM
11/18/07 09:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I got it here: http://polishandwax.com/

Great product/excellent results. If you want a really awesome shine after final buffing, use the foam pad again and slowly go over your panels with more polish. My red came out amazing with a mirror like finish.

Re: Long time reader first time poster [Re: tett] #37707
11/18/07 10:04 AM
11/18/07 10:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Tett, almost forgot, I purchased the pro kit which includes the polish, pad, and micro fiber cloth. Their pad setup is great because you can just flip back and forth on the fly and not have to worry about different compound contamination. You will have to wet sand up to 1500 grit (preferably 2000 grit) as it is not as aggressive as 3m rubbing compound. The good thing about using the finer grits of paper is that when you apply the System One, you will get a nice shine almost immediately and not have to work the buffer as much.

Re: Long time reader first time poster #37708
11/18/07 12:41 PM
11/18/07 12:41 PM
Virginia
T
tett Offline
tett  Offline
T

Virginia
Great, thanks for the info.

Re: Long time reader first time poster #37709
11/18/07 02:10 PM
11/18/07 02:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I went with 3M rubbing compound and then 3m Finesse It on the first roller job I did.

How did you like the result of those ? It's the only one I can get up here in Canada

Re: Long time reader first time poster #37710
11/18/07 05:41 PM
11/18/07 05:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

w00t! its done kinda. haha its all blue, hood still needs polishing and so does the drivers side head light, but im lovin it!

Cold weather! #37711
11/19/07 01:57 AM
11/19/07 01:57 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have been reading a lot on this site and have found tons of helpful info.
My project is an 1982 GMC Jimmy (diesel) that is almost ready to roller. I have gray interior and a black hard top that is going to stay black. My body work isn't perfect, but not horrible. I wanted to do Rustoleum Regal Red, but wasn't sure if it would show the imperfections too much? Any suggestions? Also I live in north Idaho and its about 35 to 40 degrees in my garage...do all colors dry the same? thanks a lot for the help.

Re: Cold weather! #37712
11/19/07 09:38 AM
11/19/07 09:38 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I went from black to red also but with very minor body work. You have to always remember that the darker and shinier the paint, the more noticable body work or existing dents and dings will be.

Re: Cold weather! #37713
11/19/07 12:41 PM
11/19/07 12:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks RCCS, Its black and primer right now. I just figure anything will look better than it does now. I just am to impatient to wait until the spring for warmer weather.

Page 70 of 167 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 166 167