08/30/07 02:16 AM
Bakersfield, CA
K
kenzo42 Offline
kenzo42  Offline
K

Bakersfield, CA
Hey Aussie,
Did you finish the NA completely? If so, do you have any final pics of her?

Quote:

For the pic that I posted above, I just used the SSR3. But I wouldn't recommend finishing the job there. On my hood I used SSR3, then SSR2.5, then the Poorboy's Professional Polish and then I topped it off with the EX-P synthetic sealant.

Although to be honest I now wish that I had given it a couple more coats of polish before I applied the sealant....

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: kenzo42] #37415
08/30/07 04:04 AM
08/30/07 04:04 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nope, I haven't finished it off yet. I had a day off work last week and I managed to get the hood ready for that pic. I've given up trying to do it all properly now and I'm just aiming to be able to get one panel done every couple of weeks.

I'm still not perfectly happy with the hood at this point either. I can still see a little hazing in that pic between the reflection of the light and the reflection of the air con unit on the wall that I should be able to remove with a little more effort. So I'll keep working away bit by bit until I'm totally happy with the finish.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37416
08/30/07 05:17 AM
08/30/07 05:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

after 2 coats of rustoleumn Gloss White, here's a coat of Brightside White on the fenders, this paint shines!

I got a few runs, so I need to fix those then I'll do a second and final Brightside coat.

Is there some big advantage to using Brightside over Rustoleum? I went with the latter and I love the color I picked (Gloss Royal Blue), but the further I get into this, the more I'm convinced this will not be the only vehicle I paint using this method - it's just too much fun! So if there is a major advantage to using one over the other for the next car, please share

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37417
08/30/07 10:53 AM
08/30/07 10:53 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Is there some big advantage to using Brightside over Rustoleum? I went with the latter and I love the color I picked (Gloss Royal Blue), but the further I get into this, the more I'm convinced this will not be the only vehicle I paint using this method - it's just too much fun! So if there is a major advantage to using one over the other for the next car, please share

The advantage is shine, brightside stays shiny even after it dries while rustoleom dulls when it dries, so I am doing 2 coats of rustoleum and 2 coats (all sprayed) of Brightside.
There was a guy claiming that rustoleum gets affected by Brake cleaner, it does not, once it is fully dry it won't get affected by Brake cleaner as he claimed. that information scared me a little, so I decided to combine the coats of paint to avoid that.

I am also painting my Suburban with Rustoleum Gloss Royal Blue, love the color, I was planning on painting a couple of coats of Brightside Blue paint on top of that but I think I will stick with all Rustoleum on that Suburban. then I will paint another Car with Gloss Black Rusto.

It is for sure a lot of fun !

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37418
08/30/07 11:48 AM
08/30/07 11:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Is there some big advantage to using Brightside over Rustoleum?

I'm a fan of Brightside. It's a boat paint, so it's designed to resist the three S's: SALTWATER, SUN, and profanity reference deleted The gloss is amazing too. Since it's more concentrated, 2-4 Brightside coats equal about 10-12 coats of Rustoleum. For me, the time and labor savings outweigh the lesser cost of Rustoleum. Just my

Last edited by ZIPPY; 08/30/07 01:27 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37419
08/30/07 04:52 PM
08/30/07 04:52 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Is there some big advantage to using Brightside over Rustoleum?

Yes. Brightside is designed to be put down and left alone.

There was some discussion here initially about abrading the surface of a monourethane with polishing because it is designed to seal on application, and disturbing that seal would theoretically be bad.

However, Aussie and Marq have shown that it polishes up nicely.

If you could lay Brightside down smooth enough it is possible you could perform a decent "roll and go"

Rusto, on the other hand, is old school, literally. Just like your grandfathers Oldsmobile, you have to actually polish the car and keep a coat of wax on it to maintain the surface shine.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37420
08/31/07 08:07 AM
08/31/07 08:07 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!

Flint, MI
ROLLER MARKS!!

Hey all - I gave up on Satin black a while back because I couldn't lay it down without leaving lots of roller marks.

I'm now on my 3rd coat of Rustoleum Gloss Black and I'm STILL getting roller marks in the paint. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

With my last coat, if you run your hand over the roller marks you can't feel anything, but you can still see them. So its not like there's a big paint build-up on the outer edge of the roller.

Its almost like the paint is drying before it has a chance to fully self-level. The temperature conditions yesterday when I did my rolling were nearly perfect - 74 degrees and low humidity. I'm using about a 25% thin of mineral spirits, and have 2 to 3 seconds on the the "drip test".

Should I be thinning the paint even more? Should I be using thinner coats?

I'm squishing most of the paint out of the roller before I start, and I'm using a decent amount of pressure on the roller when I apply the paint. I finish each panel by letting the roller just rest on it (no pressure) while I make one more pass across the entire panel end to end. (Basically doing overlapping stripes all in the same direction across the panel).

One thing I've noticed is that I seldom have any bubbles when I lay the paint on, is it possible that I'm putting it on TOO thin?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37421
08/31/07 08:31 AM
08/31/07 08:31 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

[
Yes. Brightside is designed to be put down and left alone.

Does this mean that I should not sand or polish the last coat? I am now on the 5th coat and to day I will be putting down #6 which will be my last. Thanx!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37422
08/31/07 11:34 AM
08/31/07 11:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Don't panic.

Brightside is designed to be put down and left alone, but judging by Marq and Aussie's results it can be polished with good results...

I'm just saying that if, after your final coat of Brightside, the surface is presentable, you could stop there. As others have noticed brightside dries with a nice gloss.

Most folks, however, have either not perfected their rolling to zero defects, or are perfectionists who can and do achieve better by working the finish.

Of course, some just enjoy the process. YMMV.

The best part is if for some reason you regret sanding your top coat, you can always whip out a roller and add another coat...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #37423
08/31/07 05:31 PM
08/31/07 05:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey it sounds like the problem is you are dry rolling as i am a painter. when u dont put enough paint in the roller it starts to leave little lap marks that are cause by drying paint. to solve this put a little more paint in your roller and dont apply too much pressure use the weight of the roller

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37424
08/31/07 07:55 PM
08/31/07 07:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is my first post, but I have been reading this thread (and other roller painting threads) for the last month. I have experimented some and I must say this ROCKS! Thanks again to ALL who have contributed.

Anyways, I haven't seen much info on the Interlux Toplac paint. A couple others have asked, but I was curious if anyone has actually tried it yet.

I checked some boating forums and some claime it has held up better than brightside, is harder, and keeps its glossiness better.

Anyone have any firsthand experience. If not, I'd be willing to get a can of each and compare....After reading all of this I feel like I owe something to all of the other DIY'ers.

I plan on beginning paintwork on my car this week. Cant wait!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37425
08/31/07 09:14 PM
08/31/07 09:14 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Look at what I got today:

Plenty of Pads and PoorBoy stuff !
I already have a Porter Cable, so I am going to try and polish part of the hood.

I was going to shoot another coat of Brightside on the fenders but it is about to rain up here on the eastern mountains of San Diego.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37426
09/01/07 02:10 PM
09/01/07 02:10 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

SuperCobra

Where did you get it from .... links please!

Did you get a backing plate also ... don't see it in that picture, My PC didn't come with one, and I wonder which size hook and loop backing plate I should get .... I have seen 5", 5.5" and 6". How should one determine this?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37427
09/01/07 02:28 PM
09/01/07 02:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

SuperCobra

Where did you get it from .... links please!

Did you get a backing plate also ... don't see it in that picture, My PC didn't come with one, and I wonder which size hook and loop backing plate I should get .... I have seen 5", 5.5" and 6". How should one determine this?

darn it, you are right, didn't come with backing plate, have to buy that separate.

I bought all these items from different companies, Now I see it is cheaper to order this kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porter-Ca...97570QQtcZphoto
(I used this company for the Pads)

the PoorBoy stuff I bought at
http://www.poorboysworld.com/
straight link:
http://www.poorboysworld.com/super-swirl-removers.htm

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37428
09/02/07 10:34 AM
09/02/07 10:34 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have to decided to experiment with the top secret TS-100 paint. I just ordered a quart of paint and a quart of the TS-101 thinner. I'll try thinning some with mineral spirits as well to see if this is a cheaper alternative.

I'll keep you guys updated...I know there are some people curious about this paint.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37429
09/02/07 06:11 PM
09/02/07 06:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

well, It was very hot today as it was yesterday, I couldn't take it anymore and decided to shoot the first coat of rustoleum anyways, with thunderous skies a few miles away (but sunny above me) I decided to do this.

Before:

after 1st Coat:

More images here:
http://www.cobra4me.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=593

will wait a few days and sand down a couple of runs and give it a second coat

Last edited by SuperCobra4Me; 09/02/07 06:12 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37430
09/03/07 07:40 AM
09/03/07 07:40 AM
Maine
B
Blackstone Offline
Blackstone  Offline
B

Maine
Quote:

I have to decided to experiment with the top secret TS-100 paint. I just ordered a quart of paint and a quart of the TS-101 thinner. I'll try thinning some with mineral spirits as well to see if this is a cheaper alternative.

I'll keep you guys updated...I know there are some people curious about this paint.

Hey jex, what color did you go with?

For what it's worth, I did some test panels with their TS-4 series paint. I tried both thinning agents and didn't see any noticeable difference between TS-101 and mineral spirits. I've yet to paint my project vehicle but I think you're going to like working with Top Secret.

I picked up one of these at a yard sale for $15, gonna see if it'll cut down on wetsanding;
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/411813359.html

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Blackstone] #37431
09/03/07 10:08 AM
09/03/07 10:08 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Hey jex, what color did you go with?

For what it's worth, I did some test panels with their TS-4 series paint. I tried both thinning agents and didn't see any noticeable difference between TS-101 and mineral spirits. I've yet to paint my project vehicle but I think you're going to like working with Top Secret.

I picked up one of these at a yard sale for $15, gonna see if it'll cut down on wetsanding;
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/tls/411813359.html

I decided to go with white. This is my first attempt at painting and body work so I wanted what showed the least imperfections.

Last edited by jex; 09/03/07 10:10 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37432
09/03/07 02:58 PM
09/03/07 02:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Well, I've finished my test piece, the tailgate for my '79 Ford F100 Custom Explorer. All in all, I'm quite satisfied. And additionally, it was one of the most beat up, rusty, and plain difficult pieces on the truck.

As you can tell, my bodywork is poor at best. Even knowing that every scratch would show, and doing what at the time seemed like a good job sanding them out, I am surprised at how bumpy the body is after the paint is on. I'm not particularly worried- the rest of the body is smoother, and the tailgate has too many planes and curves to show too badly. Plus, the white seems to hide the imperfections.

Some people wanted to see lettering/striping, and here's your chance. Letters are difficult. It took a good 90 minutes to tape it off and very carefully cut the curves. Very carefully. It didn't come out perfect, as you can see. They have a rough edge. But from 3 feet away, it's not noticeable unless you're looking for it. I'm thinking that my Explorer striping will actually go better, in that it will be long, straight edges on smooth metal instead of wild curves on stamped letters. I bet it'll be easier to get a smooth line.

Oh, and here's the before:

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37433
09/03/07 03:03 PM
09/03/07 03:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Oh, and that's six coats of Rustoleum Gloss White, applied with a foam brush, and the lettering is with a Rustoleum rattlecan of dark blue. My body striping will be that dark blue and safety blue. Oh, and mask off everything when spray painting like that. Even with all that paper, I had some overspray to clean up.

Page 56 of 167 1 2 54 55 56 57 58 166 167