07/17/07 08:40 AM
07/17/07 08:40 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thank you lads, didn’t mean to post just to Marq, I’d been reading his website looking for quantities as I believe Marq found the Brightside alternative to Rustoleum.
I also meant to say 70% of my car will be in original black paint, the rest will be in primer, I am hoping to paint the whole car.
Brightside is my last chance to find a paint here in Poland to do this job, if the Polish agent can supply, which I am still waiting to find out? If I draw a blank with the Brightside then I’ll have to bite the bullet and use the local paint shop

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37115
07/17/07 10:29 AM
07/17/07 10:29 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Thank you lads, didn’t mean to post just to Marq, I’d been reading his website looking for quantities as I believe Marq found the Brightside alternative to Rustoleum.
I also meant to say 70% of my car will be in original black paint, the rest will be in primer, I am hoping to paint the whole car.
Brightside is my last chance to find a paint here in Poland to do this job, if the Polish agent can supply, which I am still waiting to find out? If I draw a blank with the Brightside then I’ll have to bite the bullet and use the local paint shop

One nice thing about Brightside is that Interlux, the manufacturer, does have global distribution. So it should be locatable anywhere in the world.

It's odd that you are encountering difficulty locating a distributor within Poland.

I was taking a quick look at a map of Poland and you have quite a few cities located along the Baltic. The odds are that if there is going to be marine paint suppliers... then they should be located near one of those coastal towns. I see that you may be able to fall back to looking for something along the German Baltic coast as an alternative.

I would tend to think that a town where there is more recreational boating is the most likely town to find an Interlux distributor with stock readily available.

Hope this helps

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 07/17/07 10:32 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37116
07/17/07 12:40 PM
07/17/07 12:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Marq. I have found a guy who's located in Gdansk, he's a stockist of "some" Interlux paints but isn't sure he's got any stock of the Brightside in Gloss Black. He's on holiday just now, hence his inability to give me an answer. Sounds like a one man band operation, so I'll have to wait till he's back off holiday to find an answer.
I'll buy 4 litres so if he doesn't stock maybe he'll get some, my problem is I leave here beginning of September, so the clock is ticking.
Let me ask whilst I'm writing, do I need any of the #333 thinners for anything whatsoever, if I do I'll get some, I don't want to get stuck for lack of something simple?
By the way, very helpful forum and it's been a pleasure reading all this regardless of how my project turns out. I really have learned a great deal about the "mysteries" of painting a car.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37117
07/17/07 04:17 PM
07/17/07 04:17 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I'll buy 4 litres so if he doesn't stock maybe he'll get some, my problem is I leave here beginning of September, so the clock is ticking.
Let me ask whilst I'm writing, do I need any of the #333 thinners for anything whatsoever, if I do I'll get some, I don't want to get stuck for lack of something simple?
By the way, very helpful forum and it's been a pleasure reading all this regardless of how my project turns out. I really have learned a great deal about the "mysteries" of painting a car.

Given the difficulties you are encountering... I would say that you can substitute safely the pure mineral spirits instead of the 333 thinner. The pure mineral spirit is probably more commonly available over there and probably quite a bit cheaper then the small tin of 333 thinner. I used both on my car and there wasn't much of a difference in drying time etc.

One nice thing... is that if you are lucky and can do your car with 2 cans of Brightside... you will have enough paint left to go and buy another disposable car and give it a matching paint job ( or better yet charge for your paint and services to do some other chaps car and recover your investment ).

I am curious about the availability of the 4 inch high density foam rollers over there in Poland.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37118
07/17/07 07:11 PM
07/17/07 07:11 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ok,I hit the car with some 400 (only stuff I had that could be used with water) and it came out really smooth. There are some imperfections but Ill let the picture do the talking. I rubbed it down with spirits and Im about to go mix up some more paint and do a second coat.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Ghia109/?action=view&current=P1040726.jpg

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37119
07/17/07 07:39 PM
07/17/07 07:39 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Marq mineral spirits here are quite easily available so I'll stick with them if I get the Brightside. Seeing as I've never painted before I might need the extra paint for practice and any misfortunes, now or later.
I did manage to find some 4" rollers with squared off ends, the only other type with a rounded end I have seen are 6". I can't say I've really looked too far for foam rollers so there may be others available I've not spotted yet.
Now here is a question that's had me thinking. It seems to me that when I roller a thicker layer of paint I'm going to get an orange peel effect. I am wondering what percentage of a coat of paint comprises this orange peel paint. I'm simple thinking that if a thick coat is applied and say 30% is removed then it might be better than removing 30% of a thinner coat. I know some guys don't get much of this orange peel, but being a rookie I'm just not sure I'll achieve such skill. If I've a decent thickness left I've the patience to polish and have a Porter-Cable and Farecla polishes. I think the rollering of paint is going to be my weak point, so I'm thinking how to achieve a decent job if I don't get the rollering quite right. Hope I've explained myself correctly here?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37120
07/17/07 07:52 PM
07/17/07 07:52 PM
Stockbridge, GA
7D9LRE Offline
7D9LRE  Offline

Stockbridge, GA
Here are a coupes pictures of my trailer, Read about 2 pages and had to give it a try. I did ten coats over two weeks, the last two were very thin and no need to wetsand it turned out great!

3639082-before.jpg (535 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: 7D9LRE] #37121
07/17/07 07:53 PM
07/17/07 07:53 PM
Stockbridge, GA
7D9LRE Offline
7D9LRE  Offline

Stockbridge, GA
After

3639085-after.jpg (558 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37122
07/17/07 10:08 PM
07/17/07 10:08 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Now here is a question that's had me thinking. It seems to me that when I roller a thicker layer of paint I'm going to get an orange peel effect. I am wondering what percentage of a coat of paint comprises this orange peel paint. I'm simple thinking that if a thick coat is applied and say 30% is removed then it might be better than removing 30% of a thinner coat. I know some guys don't get much of this orange peel, but being a rookie I'm just not sure I'll achieve such skill. If I've a decent thickness left I've the patience to polish and have a Porter-Cable and Farecla polishes. I think the rollering of paint is going to be my weak point, so I'm thinking how to achieve a decent job if I don't get the rollering quite right. Hope I've explained myself correctly here?

It would be better to lay multiple thin coats... then attempt to rush the job by laying on thick coats.

A thin coat dries more thoroughly and completely then a thick coat.

Orange peel 'usually' occurs when you rush your next coat of paint on to the previous layer of paint.

What happens with a thick layer is that the outer skin hardens first and traps the wetter layer between the body and the outerskin of the paint. So when you add the next coat of paint too early it tends to soften up the previous outer layer. It them moves around on the previous uncured middle layer creating the wrinkle or orange peel type effect.

If you put on a thin layer... it takes less time for that middle wet layer to evaporate and harden. So when you add the next coat of paint things don't come alive underneath the latest coat of paint.

I really think the key to orange peel avoidance it to provide adequate time for each layer of paint to evaporate and cure ( or harden ).

The problem with going with thicker layers, expecting peeling and then planning to sand back the wrinkles is that you don't get a uniform outer layer of paint. Instead the outer layer is composed of the last coat of paint plus peaks from various wrinkle layers below. Also... you are doing more agressive and lower grit size to cut back the peeling.

BUT IF you go with the thinner coats... and can do so with minimal peeling... in the end you will probably find yourself just doing some light 800, 1000 or 1500 grit wet sanding to do the final sanding. That to me is less work then trying to knock back orange peel and then having to wetsand the knocked back surface up to a level where it can take an acceptable polishing and waxing.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37123
07/17/07 10:41 PM
07/17/07 10:41 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

7D9LRE that trailer certainly looks nice now, thanks for sharing that information, give me more hope.
Thanks Marq I do see the logic in what you are saying and will follow it when I paint. I would probably be more settled if I was practicing with the correct pain instead of some Polish product which is quite different to anything suggested on this thread. Maybe I'll try ordering a very small can of Brightside from the UK as postage might not be so savage and it'll give me a chance to get a "feel" for the real paint.
Thanks again for your help.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37124
07/17/07 10:52 PM
07/17/07 10:52 PM
WA State
Roadster_wa Offline
Roadster_wa  Offline

WA State
Ok, because the orange in Rustoleum is limited to the Safety Orange, (So far and not sure about that color) I'm pretty much leaning to trying to mix the yellow and red to get the "Harley" orange. Not being much of a paint guy, I'm guessing that a 50 / 50 mix of red and yellow will get me the basic orange. Needing a red orange, maybe the 45 /55 red mix will get me close. Any paint gurus out there have an opinion of what rustoleum red I should use and maybe a starting point of the mix if I'm going in the wrong direction?

Option #2 would be to buy a Gloss white and try to get Home Depot to tint it based on the color card that matches the paint. Would the Tint mix in with the white like a base?

Yet another concept picture:

3639688-harley_02.JPG (363 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37125
07/18/07 12:07 AM
07/18/07 12:07 AM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Ok, because the orange in Rustoleum is limited to the Safety Orange, (So far and not sure about that color) I'm pretty much leaning to trying to mix the yellow and red to get the "Harley" orange. Not being much of a paint guy, I'm guessing that a 50 / 50 mix of red and yellow will get me the basic orange. Needing a red orange, maybe the 45 /55 red mix will get me close. Any paint gurus out there have an opinion of what rustoleum red I should use and maybe a starting point of the mix if I'm going in the wrong direction?

Option #2 would be to buy a Gloss white and try to get Home Depot to tint it based on the color card that matches the paint. Would the Tint mix in with the white like a base?

You may be surprised how little yellow will be required to shift a Regal Red or a Fire Red over to an orangey color. You might be looking at something in the 10% to a max of 30% yellow ( 10% probably with Fire Red or upto 30% if you are starting with the Regal Red ).

The one thing most folks who have used the Fire Red have noted is that it is a fairly orangey red when in bright sunlight. So it wouldn't take much to push it into a more orangey overall look. But I think you would end up coming close to an actual fruity orange.

Whereas the Harley Orange that you want to end up with would probably be more achievable if you start with the darker Regal Red and tint it up with the yellow to arrive at the Harley Orange color. The Regal Red is a little darker and bloodier and when mixed with yellow it will give a darker orange color.

Last edited by Marq; 07/18/07 12:11 AM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37126
07/18/07 10:46 AM
07/18/07 10:46 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'd go with a red/yellow mix, and try a few ratios until you got what you wanted. If you used a white with a tint, I think you'd end up with a pastel peach color!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37127
07/18/07 12:00 PM
07/18/07 12:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

You might also look into Van Sickle tractor paint (another alkyd enamel like Rustoleum) ...they carry "AC Orange" as a stock color:

Don't trust that card though...on this monitor the colors are way off from what I've seen in person. The colors are actually a lot brighter. They also list a bunch of "custom colors" here:

http://www.vansicklepaint.com/mntcstmclrs.htm

They list Kubota Orange, which might be closer to what you're looking for...they also have about 15 other oranges.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #37128
07/18/07 12:26 PM
07/18/07 12:26 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Roadster, I would also recommend www.topsecretcoatings.com. It seems to be a very good paint too, and if you send them a color swatch, they will color match for you.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37129
07/18/07 02:02 PM
07/18/07 02:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Yeah as I mentioned earlier the ac orange is much more reddish than safety orange, and I think is a close match for the Harley color.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37130
07/18/07 07:02 PM
07/18/07 07:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Ok,I hit the car with some 400 (only stuff I had that could be used with water) and it came out really smooth. There are some imperfections but Ill let the picture do the talking. I rubbed it down with spirits and Im about to go mix up some more paint and do a second coat.

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Ghia109/?action=view&current=P1040726.jpg

Looks like you'll have a much better restart. From the picture you seem to have a good base. Do invest in finer grit for the remainder of your progress.

I'll start rolling over the weekend. I'll post some pics as I go. Hope it will come out as nice as Roadster's Vette.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Roadster_wa] #37131
07/18/07 08:00 PM
07/18/07 08:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Here's the safety green, I didn't spend too much time on prep though since this was my test panal. Looks more like Grabber green. Ace rust stop safety green, they stock the same safety colors and popular colors as rustoleum. Also can mix about any color you would want. This really picked up the shine with the maguires carnuba wax.

3641577-paint002.jpg (481 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37132
07/18/07 10:02 PM
07/18/07 10:02 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

and another

3641884-paint001.jpg (472 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #37133
07/19/07 12:41 AM
07/19/07 12:41 AM
Bismarck
CudaPete Offline
CudaPete  Offline

Bismarck
Has anyone found purple paint, simialr to plum crazy. I found it in Rustoleum painters touch spray can, paint number #1961. The place couldn't get it in quarts or gallons so I called rustoleum and they don't make it in quarts or gallons just spray cans.

Anyone find it in another brand?

Or can I get it mixed to match the color I want?

Thanks

Page 41 of 167 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 166 167