A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Could I buy only 1 sandpaper grit for during layers? Can 1500 or 2000 be good enough?

Let me know any thoughts or pointers you have.

THANKS

I have abandoned the 600 and 800 grits and I wetsand after ever coat(lots of dust out here) with 1200. I will sand my final coat with 2000 only then polish. thats how I did my test piece and it came out awesome.

Thanks! 2000 grit it is then

BTW: Could I just wash my car with soap and water instead of mineral spirits?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36575
06/05/07 08:19 AM
06/05/07 08:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I didn't really notice that much difference between odorless and pure. Except the odor of course!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36576
06/05/07 09:25 AM
06/05/07 09:25 AM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
I Love the Unicorn Song!!
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

BTW: Could I just wash my car with soap and water instead of mineral spirits?

I would think not. The soap could still leave a residue that would potentially affect the paint.

I realize you are on a budget, but I think that the mineral spirits was only about $10. It goes a long way - its not like you are going to pour it in a bucket and slop it on like you are washing your car.

You are just going to get a rag damp with it and start wiping down the metal.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Gusteve] #36577
06/05/07 10:10 AM
06/05/07 10:10 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Maybe someone can provide insight as to why Brightside has become somewhat the exclusive yacht paint maker. I have read really good things about Epifanes which if purchased from the right person is not too terribly more in price. There is also Petit which too is comparable in price and quantity. Any ideas?

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36578
06/05/07 01:44 PM
06/05/07 01:44 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Maybe someone can provide insight as to why Brightside has become somewhat the exclusive yacht paint maker. I have read really good things about Epifanes which if purchased from the right person is not too terribly more in price. There is also Petit which too is comparable in price and quantity. Any ideas?

I don't think even the boaters would agree that Brightside is somewhat the exclusive yacht paint maker...

But what you can say about Interlux is that they have distribution channels for their product worldwide.... and they probably do that better than most paint companies. So it is only natural that the most available paint will become a ready choice for a majority of boat painters.

Second, the Interlux and in particular Brightside brand have been around since day one. History tells us that those who have been doing it the longest... usually have a successful product ( otherwise they would have disappeared off the map like many of their competitors ).

Along with longevity... comes progress. If a company is constantly improving their product - then they are going to remain a market favorite. The Brightside paint for example feature UV compontents and Teflon components. This is something they have added to their product to improve upon it. Some companies are still flogging the same paint formulation that they were using 30 years ago.

I think the price factor also helps Brightside maintain marketshare among the boat painters. It is cheaper then many of its key competitors. So in a consumer oriented world, people have no problem paying a fair price for a proven product.

I think another factor is performance in the real world. Companies can make all the boast and ads they want to flaunt their product. That might draw in a boater the first time. But if that product does not live up to the hype - people will use another product the next time they go to repaint their boat. And as well... word of mouth among boaters can kill a product that fails to perform in the long term.

One last thought is that Brightside ONE STAGE polyurathane was designed to be applied by AVERAGE JOES like you and me. The Petit product, although probably superior - is not only expensive but also somewhat more difficult for the Average Joe to apply. It is not a simple 'paint on from the can' product. So if a product can generate consistent and repeatable good/excellent results by Average Joes... then you gotta know that it is going to be a favorite of the Average Joes everywhere.

I could rant on but I think these are just a few of the key reasons why Brightside has the lions share of the market and the consumer loyalty.

I am simply an average Joe... and just as Charger has generated new sales and a use for Tremclad/Rustoleum, I have generated news sales and use for Brightside. And all three of those companies only got our endorsement because their products performed and achieved what we wanted to do

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36579
06/05/07 01:51 PM
06/05/07 01:51 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

I didn't really notice that much difference between odorless and pure. Except the odor of course!

The difference is the rate of evaporation of the product. Pure mineral evaporate quicker and that allows it to release its 'smell' into the air in a shorter period of time - and hence in a greater concentration of 'smell'.

The 'odorless' mineral spirit evaporates slower. And although it may have just as much 'smell' component to it...the fact that it is evaporating slower means that the 'smell' component is being released over a greater period of time. Hence less concentration of the 'smell' component during a given period of time.

Both will work... but plan on extra wait times between each stage of your painting... to allow for the slower curing of the painting done with 'odorless' mineral spirits.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: Marq] #36580
06/05/07 03:28 PM
06/05/07 03:28 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks Marq... Since I am spraying this I assume I would want pure Mineral spirits... quicker cure time for the lease amount of dust to form on the paint...

Have to take some b4 pictures... this car is looking so horrible...

haha

Also... I didn't find any satin or flat brightside- since that seems to be the everlasting paint but I think im going to stick with rusto- so much cheaper...

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36581
06/05/07 03:47 PM
06/05/07 03:47 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Rustoleum Black

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36582
06/05/07 03:52 PM
06/05/07 03:52 PM
Flint, MI
Gusteve Offline
Gusteve  Offline

Flint, MI
Quote:

Rustoleum Black

You ROCK!

Although I must admit that Satin would have looked positively evil on that car....

Last edited by Steve C.; 06/05/07 03:53 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36583
06/05/07 03:56 PM
06/05/07 03:56 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

JohnnyZoom, Also being in Tampa, I got a few questions for ya. Did you paint that outside or in a garage? What time of year? How much dry time did it take?

Basically, looking for what to expect with our climate and weather.

thanks!

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36584
06/05/07 04:44 PM
06/05/07 04:44 PM
Lake George
B
blue195 Offline
blue195  Offline
B

Lake George
That Rambler wagon ROCKS! I agree that it would look even cooler with satin black and some red rims with baby moons, lop off the roof rack and add some side pipes. But that's just me. Looks awesome the way it is now tho.

3547713-Phoenix.jpg (334 downloads)
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36585
06/05/07 05:06 PM
06/05/07 05:06 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Johnny, is that Rustoleum regular or professional? I'm using Gloss Black Rustoleum Pro on my Probe.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36586
06/05/07 05:42 PM
06/05/07 05:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

hey guys just wanted to give a tip since I didn't see this anywhere in the many pages I have read so far. For cleaning the paint surface prior to painting, I would suggest using a microfiber towel. They are as cheap as real tack cloths, and aren't oily/gummy like the real things. They quickly and easily pull dirt/dust/crap off the paint surface just as good (if not better) than cheesecloth type tack cloths. The local Checker store (Kragen/Schucks for you mainlanders) sells tack cloths at an unbelievable $4 a tack cloth. I went to Wal Mart and bought a 12-pack of cheap microfiber cloths for $5. They are pretty crappy in quality when compared to the high quality cloths I bought and use for my daily driver, but in my experience, they have worked just fine for tacking my car prior to rolling on another layer of paint. They are also great towels for wiping away lifted paint particles when wetsanding

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36587
06/05/07 05:49 PM
06/05/07 05:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

That Rambler is super cool! Looks like about a '58? When I was in high school in the early 90s one of my friends had a '59 Rambler Super 4 door sedan. It had an interesting feature I've never seen on any other car...it was called a "travel bed". The front seats would fold down flat to meet up with the rear seat forming one giant cushion . It was um...an interesting car for a kid in high school . My VW I had back then had an almost inhumanly small back seat by comparison . Anyway, very cool! Nice job on the paint too.

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36588
06/05/07 07:05 PM
06/05/07 07:05 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Thanks for the compliments.

It's a 1960. I was tempted to do the satin, and I still might, but I saw someone with the same paint job up north so I went with Regular Rustoleum Gloss Black. I'm sealing the top with White Gloss, but will probably do final coat with that Tremclad Cream , I like the aged look. I need a light colored top with Fla heat and black car.

I did one coat each day over Memorial Day weekend at about 10am, outside on blacktop pavement. I think I got better results doing one coat a day and letting it really bake in. Two coats was rushing, even with the heat.

I chose to do three coats before wetsanding due to the condition of the metal on the car. It's a little more wetsanding, but I like having a thicker base before tearing into it. Plan 3-5 more coats before final polish.

Maybe previously posted, but have you guys all seen the Hot Rod Magazine article on this?

Last edited by Johnnyzoom; 06/05/07 07:06 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36589
06/05/07 08:57 PM
06/05/07 08:57 PM
Burkesville Ky.
G
gerty Offline
gerty  Offline
G

Burkesville Ky.
I noticed on the Interlux-Brightside web site that there is a flatting additive for their paint. So I think you could use this to acheive a satin black. I think I'll try to contact them about it as I plan on a satin black for my Duster.
Bob

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36590
06/05/07 09:16 PM
06/05/07 09:16 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Also... I didn't find any satin or flat brightside- since that seems to be the everlasting paint but I think im going to stick with rusto- so much cheaper...

For the Brightside paint... they sell an 'additive' that you add to your standard can of Brightside paint. It turns a glossy Brightside paint into a 'flat satin' finish. This additive was developed because certain parts of the boats deck surface can't have a high gloss or people would be slipping overboard ahhahhah.

They also sell another 'additive' that gives the surface a more granular surface - better for your footing when you are walking around on the deck. I can't see much use for it on our cars... but maybe pickup truck guys might like something like that added to their paint for when they are painting running boards or the bed of pickup

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36591
06/05/07 09:49 PM
06/05/07 09:49 PM
P
plum500 Offline
plum500  Offline
P

Johnnyzoom - that car looks awesome.

I am ready to give up quickly though. I just spent 3 hrs sanding bubbled tremclad off my decklid which I had spent hours prepping -- was smooth as anything... then... not.

I found the more mineral spirits in the mix, the more bubbles appeared -- I've seen them disappear before, so I didn't panic too much, continued, and let it dry..

What an effing mess. I was all enthused at how my work underneath appeared seamless (especially with the glossy black paint on it) -- now, I still have a little more work to bring it down, and then a little more to bring it back to where I started before paint.

I dunno, I have another decklid, I might give spraying a chance -- couldn't seem to get a nice thin coat with the roller -- maybe doing something wrong there...

And how hard does this stuff get? Seems pretty soft to me.. can you add a hardner? At what point does it just make sense to shoot with epoxy, build, and finish.

I'm still going single stage no matter what -- figure that will be the most forgiving, easy to work with, and just plain old school looking anyway.

Stressed and messed...

Last edited by plum500; 06/05/07 09:50 PM.
Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. #36592
06/05/07 10:32 PM
06/05/07 10:32 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

Rustoleum Black Rambler

Love that retro look. The second I saw that black with the white roof... I immediately imagined Barney Fife from Mayberry RFD driving it around

Just a little more white paint... an airbrushed star on the side and gumball machine on the roof and 'instant local celebrity mobile'... hehhehhe

Re: New Paint job on a budget thread. [Re: plum500] #36593
06/05/07 10:46 PM
06/05/07 10:46 PM
Canada
Marq Offline
mopar addict
Marq  Offline
mopar addict

Canada
Quote:

What an effing mess. I was all enthused at how my work underneath appeared seamless (especially with the glossy black paint on it) -- now, I still have a little more work to bring it down, and then a little more to bring it back to where I started before paint.

Don't dispair... I encountered a problem doing my trunk lid that sounds identical to your problem. Several coats had been built up successfully on the entire car and then for some unexplainable reason the trunk ONLY went caca.. a slobbering mess. But the rest of the coat everywhere else went on and stayed PERFECT. No reasonable explanation for why the trunk went crappy.

So in my case, I was able to take a heavily soaked cloth ( soaked with mineral spirits ) and I rubbed down the crappy trunk before the mess cured and hardened. That basically got the trunk back to where it was prior to it going south on me.

Suffice to say that the trunk presented no problems after that... but it just about sent me into depression too when it happened. Here is how the trunk looked at the end of the project :

Hopefully that pic will inspire you so that you will know that all is not lost... you may have just suffered a temporary set back..

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 06/05/07 10:47 PM.
Page 14 of 167 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 166 167