Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226490
04/11/24 01:58 PM
04/11/24 01:58 PM
C
CrazyD Offline
super stock
CrazyD  Offline
super stock
C

$45 for oil change is going to look small if you end up paying for a tow, or repairing engine damage...

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226539
04/11/24 06:14 PM
04/11/24 06:14 PM
Chino Valley
B
B300 VanDanage Offline OP
enthusiast
B300 VanDanage  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by Andrewh
pull the dipstick and smell it, see how thin it is.
you might get away with it, but if it is really bad, and you judged the amount wrong, you could do serious damage.
you might be able to pull off doing a partial drain and fill but again depends on how bad it is
you might be able to judge based on how much higher it is on the dipstick than when you changed it since it was so recent.

I actually had 5 quarts at home so I didn't have to drive anywhere but I worked diligently all morning cleaning and everything and guess what?? It's still happening!!!!!!
Before reassembling it I turned the motor over with the line detached from the carb and flushed out about 16 oz of fuel into a clear bottle and it looked good!
I slapped it all back together and it's still stalling and I looked in the carb and fuel's still pouring out of the nozzles for a few seconds!!!!!!
I feel so defeated right now!!!!!
I'm gonna take a break, eat some food and go back out there and do it all again!!!!!
I don't know what else to do! I had it perfectly cleaned!

At least now I know I can keep talking it apart without destroying the gasket! That's the only upside to this!

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 04/11/24 07:22 PM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: CrazyD] #3226556
04/11/24 07:24 PM
04/11/24 07:24 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by CrazyD
$45 for oil change is going to look small if you end up paying for a tow, or repairing engine damage...

I know, I had 5quarts laying around and I changed it before reassembling and firing it back up just to have the same issue and more fuel pour down the intake!!!!! I'm having neighbors pick up more oil for me!

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226565
04/11/24 08:22 PM
04/11/24 08:22 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

it might actually be your old line breaking up inside.
depending on how old it is.
it could be the new fuel pump.
it could be crud hung up in some part of the line that broke loose when you put it back in place.
it could also be something that was still inside the carb in the passage where it turns down to hit the needle.
just clean it up again and see what you see.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226573
04/11/24 08:43 PM
04/11/24 08:43 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
it might actually be your old line breaking up inside.
depending on how old it is.
it could be the new fuel pump.
it could be crud hung up in some part of the line that broke loose when you put it back in place.
it could also be something that was still inside the carb in the passage where it turns down to hit the needle.
just clean it up again and see what you see.

Just took the top off again and yes! More of the same freakin rubber hose shavings stuck at the needle inlet.... Here's a picture of the debris I just found!! It's just that little piece and nothing else! The bowl is as spotless as I left it!
I spent 7 hrs on it this morning!!!! I even ran 16ozs of fuel into a plastic bottle to see if there was more debris in the line and it came out clean!!!! Wish I could just put a little filter in the fuel inlet like the diagram shows!!!! At least that would prevent fuel down the intake even if it gets clogged!
I need to be more diligent with the cleaning because somehow I missed this piece!!!!
I think it was lingering somewhere between the line I tried to replace and the carb!!!! I might try back flushing that section! There may even be some more debris stuck in the pump itself!!!! Wish I could put a filter before the carb!

I don't think it's the old line breaking up! It's actually not that bad I just wanted to put a new line in! It's still the same rubber from the new hose I mangled!

IMG_20240411_173411376.jpg
Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 04/11/24 08:45 PM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226581
04/11/24 09:33 PM
04/11/24 09:33 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

you might pull the carb off the car and leave the top off, hook up the fuel line and crank on the car to force fuel all the way through.
that way you don't put more into the oil, unless you didn't change it yet.
and can catch any more stuff that comes in.

since you have a rubber line, cut it at the middle and toss a filter in there. nothing says you can't.
you might eventually go find some pipe adapters to make a place you can add a filter at the inlet of the carb.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226585
04/11/24 10:39 PM
04/11/24 10:39 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
I looked inside the old hose and yes it's bad! Looks like it's coming apart in there!!!
I'm just gonna cut the steel line somewhere between the pump and carb and install a filter!!!!!
Wish I had the filter that's suppose to go in the inlet fitting!!! That would make things easier!!!
Any objections???
Fyi incase you didn't read my previous posts I live 45 miles from the auto parts store and no I can't get a ride!
I'm lucky I have spare hose and a filter!
I'd try and back flush the pump but I feel like I won't be able to get all the debris out and eventually will get little bits working their way out over time so the filter is going to be 100% necessary!!!

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226595
04/11/24 11:08 PM
04/11/24 11:08 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
This flared end is actually what's causing the debris!!!! It's sharp and every time I slide the hose over it it cuts/shaves it!!! The new line that was too small and the old line which is actually still in good shape inside!!!
If I could just go to Ace hardware ans get a barbed fitting for the carb I would but that's not an option! I'm going to look to see if I have anything that will work but if I don't I'm cutting the metal line somewhere between the pump and carb!

IMG_20240411_195148873.jpg
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226597
04/11/24 11:24 PM
04/11/24 11:24 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
File the sharp edges off the fitting and use the correct size hose.. It's flared for a reason. It's to keep the rubber line from sliding off. Still needs to be clamped.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226718
04/12/24 12:19 PM
04/12/24 12:19 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
you might pull the carb off the car and leave the top off, hook up the fuel line and crank on the car to force fuel all the way through.
that way you don't put more into the oil, unless you didn't change it yet.
and can catch any more stuff that comes in.

since you have a rubber line, cut it at the middle and toss a filter in there. nothing says you can't.
you might eventually go find some pipe adapters to make a place you can add a filter at the inlet of the carb.

Ok, if I pull the carb off and I'm relying on the starter motor to run the pump I can only create so much pressure through the line and why have it hooked up to the carb if the debris is coming from the line before the pump? Having the line hooked up to the carb is only gonna send debris into the carb again. The carb is clean and I already ran fuel through the line using that method by cranking it with the line detached and it was running clean! The only way to increase the pressure through the line to dislodge stuck debris is to have it all hooked up completely to rev the engine and increase the pump cycles. The higher rpm's is what dislodged that last little piece.... I really don't understand why I'd take the carb off..... Besides, doing that will most likely destroy the gasket between the intake and carb! I don't see the point in that and not gonna risk it!

The filter needs to be after the pump not before the pump, which is where the section of rubber line is. Throwing a filter in there won't filter out the debris that's already made it into the pump... The filter needs to go between the pump and the carb which is one solid metal line!

I'm a little skeptical now of cutting the metal line and installing the filter because non of the ends that I cut will have flared ends and even though I planned on double clamping the hose I'm worried the pressure will force the connections apart. I'm not sure how much pressure this fuel pump makes but I also run the same risk with the filter because the only filter I have is a small plastic one that also doesn't have flared/barbed ends... I feel like this fuel system won't create enough pressure to separate the connections that don't have flared ends but I'm not sure so this plan will be last resort!

No matter if I find some barbed connectors to allow a rubber line I still have a crappy little plastic filter without flared/barbed ends and still run the risk of pressure separating it! i also don't have enough fuel hose to run it from the pump to the carb so really my only option with that is to cut the metal line and use that as my connections...

Since the carb diagram shows there's a space for a small filter in the inlet fitting what I'm gonna do is look for a small screen and install it in the fitting! That will keep the issue from happening and will be easy enough to take apart and clean out if it gets clogged!

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: stumpy] #3226721
04/12/24 12:27 PM
04/12/24 12:27 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by stumpy
File the sharp edges off the fitting and use the correct size hose.. It's flared for a reason. It's to keep the rubber line from sliding off. Still needs to be clamped.

I did that after finding it and yes I know why lines are flared... A flaring tool is on my list of tools I need but don't have it yet! I can probably make some sort of tool or contraption to flare the ends but I still only have a cheap little plastic filter without barbed/flared ends...
Do you think there's enough pressure in this system to blow the connections without flared ends apart??? It's risky but it might work!

I'm gonna look for a small screen or something to put in the inlet connector at the carb to filter out debris! That's probably my best option at this point...

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226726
04/12/24 01:12 PM
04/12/24 01:12 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
If you have a fuel filter after that line you replaced it should have caught whatever you shaved off changing hoses. But at least you found the problem.
I've never had one of those carbs that ran right for too long they were always very picky with changes in weather.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: 5thAve] #3226732
04/12/24 01:59 PM
04/12/24 01:59 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by 5thAve
If you have a fuel filter after that line you replaced it should have caught whatever you shaved off changing hoses. But at least you found the problem.
I've never had one of those carbs that ran right for too long they were always very picky with changes in weather.

I don't have a filter there and that's the point otherwise I wouldn't be in this mess! Trying to switch out one foot of fuel line turned into a nightmare because the flared end of the metal line attached to the frame was too sharp!
This van didn't run great from the get go because of the carb but it wasn't the carbs fault it just needed a little tlc and eventually I rebuilt it which had and still has this van running like new! It's a world of difference and the issue at hand isn't the carb itself, it's the debris caused by the sharp flared end on the metal line!

I have the exploded diagram(picture a few posts back) for this carb and it shows there's a cavity inside the carb where the inlet connector goes where there's supposed to be a spring/filter combo to prevent just this! I have a spring and metal screen(pictured) that will go in there perfectly and that's what I'm about to do! That's going to be the best solution at the moment! If there is more debris in the line/pump the screen will catch it and if it clogs it will be easy to clean out until all the debris is gone! It's what's supposed to be there according to the diagram!

IMG_20240412_103734453.jpg
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226742
04/12/24 02:42 PM
04/12/24 02:42 PM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

it doesn't increase pressure based on rpm. volume but not pressure.
carbs are basically blocking the fuel pump pressure with a float pushing against a rubber needle seat.
if pressure increased it would be able to push past it. which is why holley's want a regulator to keep it under 12 or 7 psi, can't remember the number.

pulling the carb was to allow for fuel dumping without it going into the intake. nothing more. just trying to save your oil if you had just changed it already.
that gasket under the carb is usually not damaged unless you used some kind of sealant, which you should not have.

for future reference, if you rebuild a carb use chapstick on the gaskets. they don't stick if you have to pull it apart again.

and as for cutting a line, I would think it would be easier to add a filter in the middle vs getting an extra line for the other side, but that may still not make sense.

Last edited by Andrewh; 04/12/24 03:42 PM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226767
04/12/24 06:54 PM
04/12/24 06:54 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
it doesn't increase pressure based on rpm. volume but not pressure.
carbs are basically blocking the fuel pump pressure with a float pushing against a rubber needle seat.
if pressure increased it would be able to push past it. which is why holley's want a regulator to keep it under 12 or 7 psi, can't remember the number.

pulling the carb was to allow for fuel dumping without it going into the intake. nothing more. just trying to save your oil if you had just changed it already.
that gasket under the carb is usually not damaged unless you used some kind of sealant, which you should not have.

for future reference, if you rebuild a carb use chapstick on the gaskets. they don't stick if you have to pull it apart again.

and as for cutting a line, I would think it would be easier to add a filter in the middle vs getting an extra line for the other side, but that may still not make sense.

Yeah I get it, I appreciate the suggestion... I might have to do that because I did put new oil in it before the last fire up which dislodged one piece of debris probably from the pump and I did get more fuel down the intake but not as much as before so this oil still might be good idk... My neighbors did bring me more oil though just in case!

Cutting the line in half and adding a filter there was what I was saying not getting another line... I hesitate to do it because I'm not sure if there's enough pressure in this system to cause the non-flared ends from being blown apart! I don't have a flaring tool and either way the filter I have doesn't have barbed ends so it would be the same risk of the connections coming apart because of the pressure!

Here's what I ended up doing... Based off the diagram and the filter that's suppose to be in the chamber behind the inlet fitting I in order put a spring, washer, stainless steel mesh to filter debris and a cork gasket that came with one of my carb rebuild kits and sandwiched it all with the inlet fitting... I've provided a picture! I did my measurements so nothing in there is being squished!
I know that will only keep the larger pieces out but those are the ones I've been finding stuck to the tip of the needle!
In theory this should work and prevent the issue from happening again but I'll take the time to take the carb off like you said because I'd hate to do all this and have more fuel keep pouring down the intake!!!!!
Hopefully I don't break the gasket!
I hope this works!!!

Also, the washer I put in there is a smaller diameter which might help restrict flow if that's even relavant?

IMG_20240412_150246258.jpg
Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 04/12/24 06:56 PM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226774
04/12/24 07:50 PM
04/12/24 07:50 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Offline
top fuel
volaredon  Offline
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
Nope. You're talking maybe 5psi. Won't blow the hose off. Not so sure your screen in the line is a good idea either though. A filter between the pump and carb is your best bet. Done that many times myself.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: volaredon] #3226776
04/12/24 07:57 PM
04/12/24 07:57 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by volaredon
Nope. You're talking maybe 5psi. Won't blow the hose off. Not so sure your screen in the line is a good idea either though. A filter between the pump and carb is your best bet. Done that many times myself.

What could go wrong with the screen??
There's definitely more debris in the pump and line because I just cranked about 8oz of fuel into a clear plastic bottle and I see more little bits of rubber! I doubt my screen "filter" will work!

Ok well if there isn't enough pressure in the line to blow the connections apart the best thing is to add the real filter!
I'm going to cut the metal line in half and integrate a filter with some rubber hose and hose clamps! I don't see any other solution in my current situation!

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226787
04/12/24 09:37 PM
04/12/24 09:37 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Find out where the rubber pieces are coming from and fix that first. If you are scraping rubber off the hose going over that flared end you are using the wrong size hose. Just sticking filters on without curing the issue will just have you end up with plugged filters and the same trouble.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: stumpy] #3226788
04/12/24 10:00 PM
04/12/24 10:00 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by stumpy
Find out where the rubber pieces are coming from and fix that first. If you are scraping rubber off the hose going over that flared end you are using the wrong size hose. Just sticking filters on without curing the issue will just have you end up with plugged filters and the same trouble.

I've already identified the source and the solution! Mentioned it already a number of times!

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226791
04/12/24 10:07 PM
04/12/24 10:07 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Online content
I Win
stumpy  Online Content
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Then why did you post this?
"There's definitely more debris in the pump and line because I just cranked about 8oz of fuel into a clear plastic bottle and I see more little bits of rubber! I doubt my screen "filter" will work!"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3