enthusiast
B300 VanDanage  Offline OP
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
1979 Dodge B300 extended cargo van.
5.9 LA360 Holley 2245/2210 2bbl carb.

Ok I'm back unfortunately!
I was here about a week ago with a fuel pump issue... I replaced it and the van has been running like a champ but then today I was driving around on my property and I stopped the van, put it in reverse and it stalled out and wouldn't start back up for like 5-10 mins!
I eventually found that there was a ton of fuel leaking out of the bottom gasket so I figured it's flooding and that's why it stalls and then runs again a little while later after it's evaporated so upon further investigation and having taken the air filter off to get a better look I could see that the barrels are basically filling up with fuel because the fuel won't stop pouring out of the nozzles(I'm not sure but I think that's what they're called) after shutting off the engine!!!!!!!
I thought that maybe I just needed to readjust the carb because the new fuel pump is just a beast and I had it set to the old crappy pump and maybe it is related to the issue I'm having with the carb but I don't know...
I rebuilt the carb about a couple of years ago and haven't driven the van much since then but it's been running "like new" and because my daily driver is being worked on I've had to start driving the van! Some of you know my situation and know I'm really far from any store so I can't just run to the store to buy a replacement of anything and money is an issue..
I may have a spare gasket and worst case scenario I have a few sheets of different gasket material incase I need to make one but man, I really don't want to do that but I expect some of you are going to tell me I'll have to take the top part of the carb off because it looks like the problem is going to be in the bowl maybe? Maybe the float is stuck or .... Idk what it could be.....

So basically it will stall out at idle and the with the motor off the fuel will continue to pour out of the nozzles and won't stop for about a minute! It's a lot of fuel coming out of there into the barrels! Sometimes it's both nozzles and sometimes it's just one side!!!! What could it be????

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226423
04/11/24 07:35 AM
04/11/24 07:35 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
You’ve got a bad needle and seat or something hung in it so it can’t shut off the fuel with your New pump. Don’t run it obviously. Now you have the fuel diluted with gas and will wash down your rings and cause excessive wear. It needs a carb rebuild and a new filter. If that does not work, vheck the fuel pressure of you pump. It may be overpowering the needle and seat. And change the oil.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: fastmark] #3226427
04/11/24 08:16 AM
04/11/24 08:16 AM
Chino Valley
B
B300 VanDanage Offline OP
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by fastmark
You’ve got a bad needle and seat or something hung in it so it can’t shut off the fuel with your New pump. Don’t run it obviously. Now you have the fuel diluted with gas and will wash down your rings and cause excessive wear. It needs a carb rebuild and a new filter. If that does not work, vheck the fuel pressure of you pump. It may be overpowering the needle and seat. And change the oil.

I literally just replaced the oil and filter because of the new pump! This is so frustrating! I don't want to drop another $45 on oil and another filter!! I can't even get to the store!
Why a rebuild? Can't I just take the top off and replace those components in the bowl??? It was just rebuilt with new parts! I feel like the pump is causing this issue! It was running perfect!

Well, I'm pretty much screwed if I can't drive my van! I'm broke and need to get to work tomorrow! I'm going to take the top off the carb today and see what I find..... I may be lucky enough to have an extra gasket in one of the old used carb kits I used when I originally rebuilt it...
Oh! I also replaced the fuel inlet compression fitting with a new one! Maybe the inner diameter is larger than the original and it's allowing more fuel into the bowl???
Not sure how to check the fuel pressure.... I might have the necessary gauges to check it and obviously I'll have to disconnect the line from the back of the carb and attach the gauge there and from cranking it that'll tell me the pressure right??

Thanks for the help btw...

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: fastmark] #3226428
04/11/24 08:24 AM
04/11/24 08:24 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by fastmark
It needs a carb rebuild and a new filter.

Which filter exactly?

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226429
04/11/24 08:25 AM
04/11/24 08:25 AM
A
Andrewh Online content
master
Andrewh  Online Content
master
A

if it ran fine after the pump change, then yeah pop the top off.
check the float, see if it sank, sometimes they get pin hole leaks and fill up. that would cause it to not regulate the fuel and you would see what you are seeing.
also if some junk got pushed into the seat of the needle that the float pushes against, it would prevent it from seating and allow fuel to do what you saw.
I would probably pull the line to the carb at the same time and see if something broke loose, or got flushed into the carb from the old bad pump.
if it just started this after changing the pump, it could be a pressure issue, depending on what pump you put in.
stock replacement shouldn't have this issue, but others may require a regulator.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226432
04/11/24 08:39 AM
04/11/24 08:39 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by Andrewh
if it ran fine after the pump change, then yeah pop the top off.
check the float, see if it sank, sometimes they get pin hole leaks and fill up. that would cause it to not regulate the fuel and you would see what you are seeing.
also if some junk got pushed into the seat of the needle that the float pushes against, it would prevent it from seating and allow fuel to do what you saw.
I would probably pull the line to the carb at the same time and see if something broke loose, or got flushed into the carb from the old bad pump.
if it just started this after changing the pump, it could be a pressure issue, depending on what pump you put in.
stock replacement shouldn't have this issue, but others may require a regulator.

It has less than 1000 miles on a rebuilt carb! It's been running great!
The pump I replaced the old one with is a Delphi Fuel Pump AMF0048 and it has a flow rate of 25 gph! That's the stock replacement from AutoZone! Ran great for about 150 miles and then this happened!
Hopefully it's just debris that's keeping the needle from seating!

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226433
04/11/24 08:50 AM
04/11/24 08:50 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

My bet is there was some foreign material in the new pump or you accidentally got something in the line when replacing the pump. I would pull the top and clean out the needle and seat. Also check the float to see if its to heavy. Composite can absorb fuel and additives and become heavy. Brass can develop a hole and fill with fuel. I still think something is holding the needle and seat open.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: NITROUSN] #3226435
04/11/24 09:23 AM
04/11/24 09:23 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
My bet is there was some foreign material in the new pump or you accidentally got something in the line when replacing the pump. I would pull the top and clean out the needle and seat. Also check the float to see if its to heavy. Composite can absorb fuel and additives and become heavy. Brass can develop a hole and fill with fuel. I still think something is holding the needle and seat open.

Yeah it's possible! You know, one detail I didn't mention is there's about a foot section of rubber fuel line that runs from the steel line on the frame to the inlet of the fuel pump and when I got the new oil and filter after the pump change I picked up about a foot of new line... Yesterday before the issue with the carb flooding I tried to replace that section of line but couldn't because the guy gave me the wrong line and the ID was too small so I just put the old one back on there but I was struggling to try and get the new line on there and because of where I live there's a ton of mudd and clay under my vehicles! I tried to be as careful as possible to prevent debris from getting in but.....It's most likely that's what happened and I got debris in the line and it got in the carb because after messing with the line is when I went on a test drive and that's when I had the issue with the carb flooding!!!! That's most likely what happened!

If I remember correctly the float is a brass one that looks like it had been repaired.... Assuming it's not debris in the bowl and incase it's the float... Can I repair the float with solder???

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 04/11/24 09:30 AM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226437
04/11/24 09:32 AM
04/11/24 09:32 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by B300 VanDanage

Yeah it's possible! You know, one detail I didn't mention is there's about a foot section of rubber fuel line that runs from the steel line on the frame to the inlet of the fuel pump and when I got the new oil and filter after the pump change I picked up about a foot of new line... Yesterday before the issue with the carb flooding I tried to replace that section of line but couldn't because the guy gave me the wrong line and the ID was too small so I just put the old one back on there but I was struggling to try and get the new line on there and because of where I live there's a ton of mudd and clay under my vehicles! I tried to be as careful as possible to prevent debris from getting in but.....It's most likely that's what happened and I got debris in the line and it got in the carb because after messing with the line is when I went on a test drive and that's when I had the issue with the carb flooding!!!! That's most likely what happened!

If I remember correctly the float is a brass one that looks like it had been repaired.... Assuming it's not debris in the bowl and incase it's the float... Can I repair the float with solder???

You left out the most important detail. What you did was your most important clue to your problem.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226438
04/11/24 09:36 AM
04/11/24 09:36 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Ok so obviously I'll be taking the top plate off the carb today and incase I can't salvage the gasket or have a spare one can I seal it with some 90 minute gasket maker????
Like I mentioned before, I have a few sheets of gasket material for making gaskets but that's going to be a tedious task that I'd rather not get into....

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: NITROUSN] #3226439
04/11/24 09:40 AM
04/11/24 09:40 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley

You left out the most important detail. What you did was your most important clue to your problem.

I know! Sorry! I didn't even realize it until you mentioned it!!! shake_head Oh I hope that's all it is!! It's what makes the most sense!

Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 04/11/24 09:45 AM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: fastmark] #3226441
04/11/24 09:47 AM
04/11/24 09:47 AM
A
Andrewh Online content
master
Andrewh  Online Content
master
A

pull the inlet line and the part that line bolts to first.
that should let you pull the needle out from that side. and see if there is garbage in there before you have to pull the top.
if you can get it cleaned up there, it will save you gasket time.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226442
04/11/24 09:54 AM
04/11/24 09:54 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

that should let you pull the needle out from that side. and see if there is garbage in there before you have to pull the top.

Wrong. Not on that style carb.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: Andrewh] #3226443
04/11/24 09:59 AM
04/11/24 09:59 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley

I have the Holley manual and I see what you mean! Yeah that may work! Thanks for the suggestion!!
The funny thing is when I swapped out the inlet fitting I noticed the manual shows it's supposed to have a filter/spring in the fitting itself but there wasn't one and I checked all my old carb rebuild boxes to see if any came with a filter but no luck so I left it as is because I had been driving it for years without it! I would've put a filter in if I had access to one but... That probably would've prevented this issue(assuming it is debris)!

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: NITROUSN] #3226444
04/11/24 10:05 AM
04/11/24 10:05 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley

Dangit! Looks like you're correct!! The needle is located just inside the inlet orifice but because of the float and needle assembly you can't just pull the needle out that way and most likely not enough space to access it properly anyway....

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226445
04/11/24 10:09 AM
04/11/24 10:09 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Dangit! Looks like you're correct!! The needle is located just inside the inlet orifice but because of the float and needle assembly you can't just pull the needle out that way and most likely not enough space to access it properly anyway....

Main reason is the needle and seat mounts vertical not horizontal. So its at a 90 degree angle to the inlet fitting and with that being said there is no way to get it out. I do not know what manual you are using but I have never seen an inlet screen or filter on that model carb.

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: NITROUSN] #3226447
04/11/24 10:23 AM
04/11/24 10:23 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley

Main reason is the needle and seat mounts vertical not horizontal. So its at a 90 degree angle to the inlet fitting and with that being said there is no way to get it out. I do not know what manual you are using but I have never seen an inlet screen or filter on that model carb.

Sorry, thought it was a Holley manual but it's a Haynes manual on Holley carbs...
The exploded view of the carb actually refers to carb models 2210, 2211 and (model 2245 similar) so maybe my carb(2245) in particular never had one but it sure looks like a filter/spring would fit in there and if I can find one I'd like to i stall it....

IMG_20240411_071954358.jpgIMG_20240411_072024917.jpg
Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 04/11/24 10:29 AM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226463
04/11/24 11:40 AM
04/11/24 11:40 AM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Found the culprit! The bowl has lot's of debris in it as well!!!! Looks like pieces of rubber hose from the new hose I was trying to force over the end of the metal line on the frame! The rubber hose was too small of an ID!
I'm gonna syphon the fuel out of the bowl and clean it out as best as possible! I'm also going to turn the motor over with the line detached to see if more debris comes out of the line!
Any other suggestions????

I know I'll probably have to change the oil again! I estimate about at least half a cup of fuel made it down the intake!

Looks like I'll also be able to reuse the gasket!!!
Anything else I should do??

IMG_20240411_083413666.jpgIMG_20240411_083443136.jpg
Last edited by B300 VanDanage; 04/11/24 11:52 AM.
Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226476
04/11/24 12:21 PM
04/11/24 12:21 PM
Chino Valley
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B

Chino Valley
Ok so I just want to be clear! The problem was debris at the tip of the inlet needle and it was my fault for trying to force the smaller diameter fuel line over the end of the metal line which created a whole bunch of shavings that made it into the carb!
It appears that nothing got into the jets and all the pieces of line settled at the bottom of the bowl!
I'm gonna get this thing cleaned up and reassembled and I should be good to go but I still have to drive 45 miles to buy new oil and a filter! There's no chance I can get away with a partial oil change?? I have maybe two quarts of fresh stuff laying around.... At least maybe that will help me get to the store and lower the risk of damaging the motor??

Re: Holley 2245 carb flooding like crazy and stalling!!!!! [Re: B300 VanDanage] #3226489
04/11/24 01:49 PM
04/11/24 01:49 PM
A
Andrewh Online content
master
Andrewh  Online Content
master
A

pull the dipstick and smell it, see how thin it is.
you might get away with it, but if it is really bad, and you judged the amount wrong, you could do serious damage.
you might be able to pull off doing a partial drain and fill but again depends on how bad it is
you might be able to judge based on how much higher it is on the dipstick than when you changed it since it was so recent.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3