Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
So I'm mocking up a header solution for an old school RB stroker. I have not yet decided on any particular aftermarket head yet. I am using a modified set of the early 60's dual quad 30" Long rams. There are resolvable clearance issues with long rams when using headers. I already have numerous sets of TTi headers, and I regard them highly. Only downside is they offer nothing in SS.
The car will be using coil overs. I am not sure which TTI header might be best with the long rams regarding header to intake manifold clearance with the 3? possible choices that they offer. I am willing to take all the risks in my choice, but I need one dimension from TTI to make a proper decision.
I called TTI this am, and asked if they could give me the approx measurement from the centerline of the 6 exhaust mounting bolts on the head to the highest point of the headers highest tube. I shared nothing that this was something of any urgency, and it's not.
The person responded, "I don't know how to measure that".
I responded, "Use a tape measure."
He responded, "I don't have time to go out back and take a measurement."
I responded, "well who might?"
He responded "Sam, call back next week"
I responded, "who is Sam?"
He responded, "the owner"

I would have no problem contacting a TTI dealer, but it seems that the manufacturer would be the most likely to have the inventory of the possible offerings for measurement or drawings on file to answer my question.
Don't mean to go OT, but IMO this is why stuff starts coming from offshore.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: jcc] #3169653
08/22/23 12:24 PM
08/22/23 12:24 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Like you I have high regard for TTI headers but not their customer service. I bought a set of small block Mopar headers from them years ago, and paid plenty extra for ceramic coating. Less than six months after install the coating was dissolving and looking like crap. I called TTI and got this "yes we are having problems with our ceramic coatings that we subbed out. Send them back and we'll re-do them". Sure, that's real convenient. Down the car, remove the headers, pay for shipping. I asked about getting some money refunded because the send back option sucked. Nope, and they seemed to have no concern that I paid all this money, was a returning customer, and that it was their fault.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: larrymopar360] #3169704
08/22/23 02:33 PM
08/22/23 02:33 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
Those two stories above... from an AMERICAN company is a good example of why
China and other overseas companies, are making so much money. These U.S. companies
like TTI better get their act together, asap.

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #3169709
08/22/23 02:42 PM
08/22/23 02:42 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Go to the vendors that also build engines as they might be of more help than someone who just sells parts only.

If none of the above fit you can buy them in raw steel and cut and mod as needed.

Last edited by Neil; 08/22/23 02:42 PM.
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: Neil] #3169733
08/22/23 03:39 PM
08/22/23 03:39 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i am not sam i am, and i do not like green eggs and ham................. biggrin [i couldn't resist. laugh2]

i have a TTI set # 440-218, which are 2"/2 1/8" for angle plug heads, and are bolted to a set of worked performance RPM eddy heads. these pipes may not be what you need the info for, but this is what i have.
the # 6 tube turns down right at/off the port. the #2 tube is the highest, and sweeps up, then drops between #6 and #8 tubes. #2 tube height from the attaching bolt centerline at #6 tube is 3 3/8".
the height above the top of #6 tube is 2 5/8".
the height above the attaching bolt centerline of #6 tube is 2 5/8".
the #1- #7 side is a near duplicate of the #2- #8 side.
#'s 4, 6, & 8, as well as 3, 5, & 7 all turn down at the port.
these measurements are just approximations, taken with a tape measure, having my old head in an awkward position in low light. hope you can understand what i'm trying to relay with my descriptions.
i don't know if this helps any or not..................."sam i am [not realcrazy]"
beer

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: moparx] #3169761
08/22/23 05:57 PM
08/22/23 05:57 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
You nailed it, Thanks " #2 tube height from the attaching bolt centerline at #6 tube is 3 3/8".

You have the header that was my first choice and the one expected to be the tallest, but I should be able to make that work.
Never really expected to solve my problem here, I just needed to rant. beer

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #3169768
08/22/23 06:43 PM
08/22/23 06:43 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
China and other overseas companies, are making so much money. These U.S. companies

And who do you call when your China made product fails or disappoints and who will answer and speaks American English to most likely tell you the same thing or less?...............I'll wait over here for that answer............ drinking

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: A12] #3169791
08/22/23 08:45 PM
08/22/23 08:45 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Originally Posted by A12

And who do you call when your China made product fails or disappoints and who will answer and speaks American English to most likely tell you the same thing or less?...............I'll wait over here for that answer............ drinking

一个低垂

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: jcc] #3169797
08/22/23 09:07 PM
08/22/23 09:07 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Did U buy the subject TTi headers through a dealer or direct?

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: Sinitro] #3169798
08/22/23 09:14 PM
08/22/23 09:14 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Just maybe the off the shelf header company that has a very good product page of what they fit does not cater to the custom build crowd and thats what the OP seems to have and was asking about.

There product page is very clear of what there product fits as an off the shelf header company. shruggy

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #3169801
08/22/23 10:03 PM
08/22/23 10:03 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Myself, I would make it a poin tocall Sam next week. If he doesn't know what his employees are doing you can't expect it to improve. I many time encourage owners of comapnies to call in with questions like yours to see the responses wink

On the ceramic coating, i stoppe buying coated headers after watching exactly what you described, 6-12 months and they are going to 🔥 .
the only coatings i have found stand up are those from JET HOT or VHT period. twocents beer

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: Sinitro] #3169827
08/22/23 11:35 PM
08/22/23 11:35 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline OP
jcc  Offline OP
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Sinitro

Just my $0.02... wink

I have a new never installed set of TTI 1.75" headers I bought years ago from Nick/AZ (suspecting they might be inadequate for this new motor and deciding if I can upgrade to larger headers'), my small block stuff I bought from TTI direct. That seller question I was asked by the receptionist? but did not seem to me it was pertinent to my main question I was asking.

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: jcc] #3169829
08/23/23 12:07 AM
08/23/23 12:07 AM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Sinitro

Just my $0.02... wink

I have a new never installed set of TTI 1.75" headers I bought years ago from Nick/AZ (suspecting they might be inadequate for this new motor and deciding if I can upgrade to larger headers'), my small block stuff I bought from TTI direct. That seller question I was asked by the receptionist? but did not seem to me it was pertinent to my main question I was asking.

The reason why I asked is that I had the same problem with my original set of TTi headers purchased many years ago and the ceramic coating started lifting.
I bought my headers through a local dealer in SoCal, so I pulled my headers off and took them up to TTI's location in Corona, Ca which was about a 75 mile drive from my house in Ventura.
I left the headers @ TTI. In talking directly with Sam he conceded their outside subcontractor for ceramic coating was not working out and they were now doing this in-house @ TTI. About a week after I left the headers, TTI called me and said they were ready for pickup or they could ship them out to me. Not wanting them to be damaged in shipping I drove back out to Corona in my Dakota truck and picked up the headers. I reinstalled these on my RR, and over the last several years the ceramic coating has held up well. I can just say Sam did fess up about the poor quality. To me Sam will back up his products and recoat the headers, but the one downer issue is the expense for shipping cost when someone is located further away which can be significant.

Just my $0.02... wink

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: Sinitro] #3169834
08/23/23 01:57 AM
08/23/23 01:57 AM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
I had my doubts about them years ago, so I built my own.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: A12] #3169876
08/23/23 11:07 AM
08/23/23 11:07 AM
Florida
BDW Online content
master
BDW  Online Content
master

Florida
Originally Posted by A12

The answer is you don't expect to get an answer from the Chinese conpany, and pay less.
You pay more expecting to get support from an American company.
So if you don't get that support, why pay the premium?

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: BDW] #3169881
08/23/23 11:46 AM
08/23/23 11:46 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by A12

The answer is you don't expect to get an answer from the Chinese conpany, and pay less.

I'm not saying this is the norm but there are a LOT of Chinese companies who sell and ship from China on Ebay. I have had excellent luck asking technical questions and getting replies. Yeah, the engrish may not be perfect but the information is there. With US based companies, it also happens but more of the time it doesn't.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: jcc] #3169888
08/23/23 11:58 AM
08/23/23 11:58 AM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
I'm interested in possibly getting TTi headers for my E-body, small block... having the longer T/A Fast Ratio PITMAN ARM, as well as the longer IDLER ARM (required to make the proper radius equal in turning left-right... also known as fast-ratio Idler arm... simply a '70 C-body idler arm).

I need to know IF their headers will clear those longer arms. The person I spoke to gave me a quick "I don't know...".. and he supposedly asked someone else inside TTi... same answer... "... don't know..".

As TTi concentrates on MOPARS, I thought they should know.

I'll find out sooner or later, but I do know that the Hooker 5115 do clear both arms (I have them)... longer idler arm requires slight dinging on one tube.. Maybe I'll just buy another set of Hookers.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: Mopar Mitch] #3169891
08/23/23 12:24 PM
08/23/23 12:24 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
FWIW, the TTIs on an RB Duster I had interfered with the pitman & idler arms pretty badly.
Maybe the Indy EZ heads had something to do with that.
I've had Hookers & even Hedmans that fit better, no interference.
TTI's stuff looks very nice on their show displays, but sure is spendy.

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: BDW] #3169900
08/23/23 12:53 PM
08/23/23 12:53 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by A12

I shared nothing that this was something of any urgency, and it's not.
The person responded, "I don't know how to measure that".
I responded, "Use a tape measure."
He responded, "I don't have time to go out back and take a measurement."
I responded, "well who might?"
He responded "Sam, call back next week"
I responded, "who is Sam?"
He responded, "the owner"

The person at TTI, from what I read, didn't totally not offer an answer but seemed not to be the person that had the technical knowledge to do what was asked. When questioned "then who might?" He responed with the "OWNER". Seems like he would have gotten an answer to his not so urgent question from the top. I'm sure the OP wasn't the only customer on the phone or holding for customer service, Just got the wrong customer service person at the wrong time that didn't have the time to go back and measure a set of headers at that moment.

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service [Re: Mopar Mitch] #3169902
08/23/23 01:26 PM
08/23/23 01:26 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by Mopar Mitch
I'm interested in possibly getting TTi headers for my E-body, small block... having the longer T/A Fast Ratio PITMAN ARM, as well as the longer IDLER ARM (required to make the proper radius equal in turning left-right... also known as fast-ratio Idler arm... simply a '70 C-body idler arm).

I need to know IF their headers will clear those longer arms. The person I spoke to gave me a quick "I don't know...".. and he supposedly asked someone else inside TTi... same answer... "... don't know..".

As TTi concentrates on MOPARS, I thought they should know.

I'll find out sooner or later, but I do know that the Hooker 5115 do clear both arms (I have them)... longer idler arm requires slight dinging on one tube.. Maybe I'll just buy another set of Hookers.
I know it's not the same but I have TTI headers and Fast ratio pitman and idler arm and they clear. '89 Diplomat Police.

Edit: obviously I posted wrong pic. I was rushing and from my phone it looked like right one.

IMG_8333.jpeg
Last edited by larrymopar360; 08/25/23 02:06 PM.

Facts are stubborn things.
Page 1 of 2 1 2