Moparts

TTI Header Question/Customer Service

Posted By: jcc

TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/22/23 04:07 PM

So I'm mocking up a header solution for an old school RB stroker. I have not yet decided on any particular aftermarket head yet. I am using a modified set of the early 60's dual quad 30" Long rams. There are resolvable clearance issues with long rams when using headers. I already have numerous sets of TTi headers, and I regard them highly. Only downside is they offer nothing in SS.
The car will be using coil overs. I am not sure which TTI header might be best with the long rams regarding header to intake manifold clearance with the 3? possible choices that they offer. I am willing to take all the risks in my choice, but I need one dimension from TTI to make a proper decision.
I called TTI this am, and asked if they could give me the approx measurement from the centerline of the 6 exhaust mounting bolts on the head to the highest point of the headers highest tube. I shared nothing that this was something of any urgency, and it's not.
The person responded, "I don't know how to measure that".
I responded, "Use a tape measure."
He responded, "I don't have time to go out back and take a measurement."
I responded, "well who might?"
He responded "Sam, call back next week"
I responded, "who is Sam?"
He responded, "the owner"

I would have no problem contacting a TTI dealer, but it seems that the manufacturer would be the most likely to have the inventory of the possible offerings for measurement or drawings on file to answer my question.
Don't mean to go OT, but IMO this is why stuff starts coming from offshore.
Posted By: larrymopar360

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/22/23 04:24 PM

Like you I have high regard for TTI headers but not their customer service. I bought a set of small block Mopar headers from them years ago, and paid plenty extra for ceramic coating. Less than six months after install the coating was dissolving and looking like crap. I called TTI and got this "yes we are having problems with our ceramic coatings that we subbed out. Send them back and we'll re-do them". Sure, that's real convenient. Down the car, remove the headers, pay for shipping. I asked about getting some money refunded because the send back option sucked. Nope, and they seemed to have no concern that I paid all this money, was a returning customer, and that it was their fault.
Posted By: RoadRunnerLuva

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/22/23 06:33 PM

Those two stories above... from an AMERICAN company is a good example of why
China and other overseas companies, are making so much money. These U.S. companies
like TTI better get their act together, asap.
Posted By: Neil

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/22/23 06:42 PM

Go to the vendors that also build engines as they might be of more help than someone who just sells parts only.

If none of the above fit you can buy them in raw steel and cut and mod as needed.
Posted By: moparx

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/22/23 07:39 PM

i am not sam i am, and i do not like green eggs and ham................. biggrin [i couldn't resist. laugh2]

i have a TTI set # 440-218, which are 2"/2 1/8" for angle plug heads, and are bolted to a set of worked performance RPM eddy heads. these pipes may not be what you need the info for, but this is what i have.
the # 6 tube turns down right at/off the port. the #2 tube is the highest, and sweeps up, then drops between #6 and #8 tubes. #2 tube height from the attaching bolt centerline at #6 tube is 3 3/8".
the height above the top of #6 tube is 2 5/8".
the height above the attaching bolt centerline of #6 tube is 2 5/8".
the #1- #7 side is a near duplicate of the #2- #8 side.
#'s 4, 6, & 8, as well as 3, 5, & 7 all turn down at the port.
these measurements are just approximations, taken with a tape measure, having my old head in an awkward position in low light. hope you can understand what i'm trying to relay with my descriptions.
i don't know if this helps any or not..................."sam i am [not realcrazy]"
beer

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/22/23 09:57 PM

You nailed it, Thanks " #2 tube height from the attaching bolt centerline at #6 tube is 3 3/8".

You have the header that was my first choice and the one expected to be the tallest, but I should be able to make that work.
Never really expected to solve my problem here, I just needed to rant. beer
Posted By: A12

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/22/23 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
China and other overseas companies, are making so much money. These U.S. companies

And who do you call when your China made product fails or disappoints and who will answer and speaks American English to most likely tell you the same thing or less?...............I'll wait over here for that answer............ drinking
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by A12

And who do you call when your China made product fails or disappoints and who will answer and speaks American English to most likely tell you the same thing or less?...............I'll wait over here for that answer............ drinking

一个低垂
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 01:07 AM

Did U buy the subject TTi headers through a dealer or direct?

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 01:14 AM

Just maybe the off the shelf header company that has a very good product page of what they fit does not cater to the custom build crowd and thats what the OP seems to have and was asking about.

There product page is very clear of what there product fits as an off the shelf header company. shruggy
Posted By: TJP

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 02:03 AM

Myself, I would make it a poin tocall Sam next week. If he doesn't know what his employees are doing you can't expect it to improve. I many time encourage owners of comapnies to call in with questions like yours to see the responses wink

On the ceramic coating, i stoppe buying coated headers after watching exactly what you described, 6-12 months and they are going to 🔥 .
the only coatings i have found stand up are those from JET HOT or VHT period. twocents beer

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Sinitro

Just my $0.02... wink

I have a new never installed set of TTI 1.75" headers I bought years ago from Nick/AZ (suspecting they might be inadequate for this new motor and deciding if I can upgrade to larger headers'), my small block stuff I bought from TTI direct. That seller question I was asked by the receptionist? but did not seem to me it was pertinent to my main question I was asking.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Sinitro

Just my $0.02... wink

I have a new never installed set of TTI 1.75" headers I bought years ago from Nick/AZ (suspecting they might be inadequate for this new motor and deciding if I can upgrade to larger headers'), my small block stuff I bought from TTI direct. That seller question I was asked by the receptionist? but did not seem to me it was pertinent to my main question I was asking.

The reason why I asked is that I had the same problem with my original set of TTi headers purchased many years ago and the ceramic coating started lifting.
I bought my headers through a local dealer in SoCal, so I pulled my headers off and took them up to TTI's location in Corona, Ca which was about a 75 mile drive from my house in Ventura.
I left the headers @ TTI. In talking directly with Sam he conceded their outside subcontractor for ceramic coating was not working out and they were now doing this in-house @ TTI. About a week after I left the headers, TTI called me and said they were ready for pickup or they could ship them out to me. Not wanting them to be damaged in shipping I drove back out to Corona in my Dakota truck and picked up the headers. I reinstalled these on my RR, and over the last several years the ceramic coating has held up well. I can just say Sam did fess up about the poor quality. To me Sam will back up his products and recoat the headers, but the one downer issue is the expense for shipping cost when someone is located further away which can be significant.

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: BloFish

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 05:57 AM

I had my doubts about them years ago, so I built my own.
Posted By: BDW

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by A12

The answer is you don't expect to get an answer from the Chinese conpany, and pay less.
You pay more expecting to get support from an American company.
So if you don't get that support, why pay the premium?
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by A12

The answer is you don't expect to get an answer from the Chinese conpany, and pay less.

I'm not saying this is the norm but there are a LOT of Chinese companies who sell and ship from China on Ebay. I have had excellent luck asking technical questions and getting replies. Yeah, the engrish may not be perfect but the information is there. With US based companies, it also happens but more of the time it doesn't.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 03:58 PM

I'm interested in possibly getting TTi headers for my E-body, small block... having the longer T/A Fast Ratio PITMAN ARM, as well as the longer IDLER ARM (required to make the proper radius equal in turning left-right... also known as fast-ratio Idler arm... simply a '70 C-body idler arm).

I need to know IF their headers will clear those longer arms. The person I spoke to gave me a quick "I don't know...".. and he supposedly asked someone else inside TTi... same answer... "... don't know..".

As TTi concentrates on MOPARS, I thought they should know.

I'll find out sooner or later, but I do know that the Hooker 5115 do clear both arms (I have them)... longer idler arm requires slight dinging on one tube.. Maybe I'll just buy another set of Hookers.
Posted By: topside

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 04:24 PM

FWIW, the TTIs on an RB Duster I had interfered with the pitman & idler arms pretty badly.
Maybe the Indy EZ heads had something to do with that.
I've had Hookers & even Hedmans that fit better, no interference.
TTI's stuff looks very nice on their show displays, but sure is spendy.
Posted By: A12

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by A12

I shared nothing that this was something of any urgency, and it's not.

The person at TTI, from what I read, didn't totally not offer an answer but seemed not to be the person that had the technical knowledge to do what was asked. When questioned "then who might?" He responed with the "OWNER". Seems like he would have gotten an answer to his not so urgent question from the top. I'm sure the OP wasn't the only customer on the phone or holding for customer service, Just got the wrong customer service person at the wrong time that didn't have the time to go back and measure a set of headers at that moment.

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mopar Mitch
I'm interested in possibly getting TTi headers for my E-body, small block... having the longer T/A Fast Ratio PITMAN ARM, as well as the longer IDLER ARM (required to make the proper radius equal in turning left-right... also known as fast-ratio Idler arm... simply a '70 C-body idler arm).

I need to know IF their headers will clear those longer arms. The person I spoke to gave me a quick "I don't know...".. and he supposedly asked someone else inside TTi... same answer... "... don't know..".

I'll find out sooner or later, but I do know that the Hooker 5115 do clear both arms (I have them)... longer idler arm requires slight dinging on one tube.. Maybe I'll just buy another set of Hookers.
I know it's not the same but I have TTI headers and Fast ratio pitman and idler arm and they clear. '89 Diplomat Police.

Edit: obviously I posted wrong pic. I was rushing and from my phone it looked like right one.

Attached picture IMG_8333.jpeg

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jcc
You nailed it, Thanks " #2 tube height from the attaching bolt centerline at #6 tube is 3 3/8".

You have the header that was my first choice and the one expected to be the tallest, but I should be able to make that work.
Never really expected to solve my problem here, I just needed to rant. beer

glad that was somewhat useful to you.
as for ranting, i'm old, and old guys are supposed to crab and bit$h all the time............ biggrin
beer

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Myself, I would make it a poin tocall Sam next week. If he doesn't know what his employees are doing you can't expect it to improve. I many time encourage owners of comapnies to call in with questions like yours to see the responses wink

On the ceramic coating, i stoppe buying coated headers after watching exactly what you described, 6-12 months and they are going to 🔥 .
the only coatings i have found stand up are those from JET HOT or VHT period. twocents beer

when using the jet hot [doesn't the headers need sent out for this ?] and especially the vht, after application of the vht, were the headers baked before use ?
luckily for me, there is a metal fabrication place that is only a couple of miles from me [they are rated in the top 40 manufacturing companies in the U.S.A. up] and they do powder coating of all types.
they especially like to work with old car enthusiasts, which is another plus !
when i get my exhaust finished, i am going to have them coat the whole system.
after talking to them, they said if i decided to use another product on the headers, they would blast, clean, [they use gloves in all steps] and spray whatever product i decided upon. they would then bake the exhaust system as the product required. all of this for roughly $150-200.00. boogie bow
beer

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/23/23 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by BDW
Originally Posted by A12

I shared nothing that this was something of any urgency, and it's not.

The person at TTI, from what I read, didn't totally not offer an answer but seemed not to be the person that had the technical knowledge to do what was asked. When questioned "then who might?" He responed with the "OWNER". Seems like he would have gotten an answer to his not so urgent question from the top. I'm sure the OP wasn't the only customer on the phone or holding for customer service, Just got the wrong customer service person at the wrong time that didn't have the time to go back and measure a set of headers at that moment.

Your take on the interaction is not out of bounds, but one thing hard to convey here is "tone", and It seemed to be, "I don't care to answer such a silly question and you are bothering me"

Early on if he would have just said, "Give Sam the owner a call when he returns next week as he knows the most around here", this thread would not exist.
Maybe I expect too much.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/24/23 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by larrymopar360

I know it's not the same but I have TTI headers and Fast ratio pitman and idler arm and they clear. '89 Diplomat Police.

Nice 4wd Diplomat.

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/24/23 01:17 AM

Everything I have read on their website indicates to me that nothing they offer works with a fast ratio arm set-up.
The easiest option with TTI is then Borg PS box to get any faster ratio it seems to me.
Or you could call Sam next week. grin
Posted By: TJP

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/24/23 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by moparx

when using the jet hot [doesn't the headers need sent out for this ?] and especially the vht, after application of the vht, were the headers baked before use ?
luckily for me, there is a metal fabrication place that is only a couple of miles from me [they are rated in the top 40 manufacturing companies in the U.S.A. up] and they do powder coating of all types.
they especially like to work with old car enthusiasts, which is another plus !
when i get my exhaust finished, i am going to have them coat the whole system.
after talking to them, they said if i decided to use another product on the headers, they would blast, clean, [they use gloves in all steps] and spray whatever product i decided upon. they would then bake the exhaust system as the product required. all of this for roughly $150-200.00. boogie bow beer

Yes on the headers having to be sent to Jet Hot. I took a set to the machine shop t to have them dynoed with the motor that was freshly built. When I went back his first question was: Who coated those headers??? He said he had yet to see a set make it through break in, tuning etc. without the coating failing near the exhaust ports.

VHT is best applied to a freshly blasted surface and then handled carefully until it's cured. This other nice thing is most ,aterial burns off and if not once removed they can easily bet touched up. Been using the SP117 for over 47 years smile

Myself, it's Jet hot or VHT. At 69 Years old Ii have yet to see anything comparable. Do keep in mind I have owned and operated a classic car repair/ resto facility for over 25 years wink beer
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/24/23 12:54 PM

You might want to try Rob’s Rod Shop in Pennsylvania, he’s always at Carlisle…he’s an authorized TTI dealer and you might get a discount if you order through him. He might be able to answer your question…he was good to talk to when I was questioning TTI’s products…good luck👍🏻
Posted By: cudazappa

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/24/23 01:39 PM

I used Dougs D453. No problems. (yes, I'm running the fast ratio arms)

Re: TTI Header Question/Customer Service - 08/25/23 11:29 PM

Try again. This is my '89 Dip AHB with TTI's and FR pitman and idler arms.

Attached picture IMG_1015.jpeg
© 2024 Moparts Forums