central ohio
N
nss guy Offline
pro stock
nss guy  Offline
pro stock
N

central ohio
There are several NSS Racing series, some follow the NMCA rules, True NSS series allow small blocks, Keystone Raceway has a NSS class that allows transbrakes, and another on the east coast, new york etc that have a little different rules also. Pick a series that your car fits or you like and support it. Don't try and change a series to fit "your car".

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: Gabby63] #3163991
07/28/23 08:24 PM
07/28/23 08:24 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I agree most don't know what's under the hood. But though it isn't "class" racing. But there are rules. And like any other class if you want to race in it you follow the rules. Most of the rules have been there from the begining: big block engine, full interior except back seat, 10.5 tires, no trans brake, air shift, starting line chip (except stick shift), 5" period style scoop. The old wheels look great. The trouble is, not all are up to the task. Trust me I tried them. 2 4150 carbs should be more than enough for any index we run (8.50 min). To be honest my highest mph was with eddy carbs. Do I agree with all the rules? No, but I abide by them. Personally I think they could've stayed the same as they were since day one. So if you want to run N/SS? Get an allowable body and a big block and do it. It has been opened up to 1971 full and midsize cars. Not one of those style cars has shown up since the rule change. Everyone of us that run the class has done exactly that. Great bunch of racers. It's a fun class. Index allows you to be competitive on a budget as well. The no electronics aspect is challenging. No way I could afford to run NHRA ckass stuff.
Doug

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: dvw] #3164167
07/29/23 06:39 PM
07/29/23 06:39 PM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
Never mind. I meant to start a new thread.

Last edited by GomangoCuda; 07/29/23 08:43 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: dvw] #3164305
07/30/23 02:44 PM
07/30/23 02:44 PM
Texas
R
RustyM Offline
mopar
RustyM  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
Over all I agree DVW, if your gonna run with a class then, the rules are the rules.
Down here, we simply aren't drawing spectators and, basically, we are just filler, the opening act bands for the main act at a concernt.
Why/
Well, its not how the cars look, its not what carbs or wheels we run, thats for sure and, no one in the stands knows a thing about our rules unless they are racers themselves , though i suppose there could be a few hard core super stock fans from back in the day.
One issue i see is that we have cars the Jr Dragsters can beat!
I fully realize that it wont be much longer and seeing NSS will resemble watching model A and T races - yep, we are running 50, 60 year old cars.
In talking to spectators at the races , its speed and driver ability/driver personalities they come to see/watch/listen too.
Nss ( down here) has just about zero social media , all but zero YouTube presence and thus, no personalities for people to follow/get to know/come see.
Purses are very small, car counts are small .
Our best race of the year would maybe, maybe cover fuel costs for going if one wins it.
So, with no purse to race for , very few if any staying to see who wins in NSS , i think its really hard to attract folks to build and race cars under the rule set .
Its funny while yet being kinda sad to watch a crowd of 20-40 spectators hanging around the pits drooling over a15-20k turbo beater while standing next to a 65k Nss jewel and folks seeing the Nss cars as a "car show" and those guys as racers .
The primary reason being "they do things to attack spectators, build fans" .

Agreed, 2 edelbrock's "can" bring enough cfm for a lot of engines but, again, we are intake limited to pretty rough technology flow wise and, i will never deliberately use one of the INDY mailbox intakes again .
I pulled one off, with custom build eddies , went to single 4-4150 and picked dropped a tad over a tenth and 2 mph. Watching two of those intakes explode was enough for me-uggh . ( yes, i know the tricks, the pop-off etc.
IMHO: Nss is stuck in 2 worlds, we use the latest and greatest everywhere we can, but are severely limited in other areas and generally don't do what every other racing org is doing to bring in spectators .
We RunNss and, love it, love everyone we race with and , generally have. great time but, but- twice this year we have been the "also ran" group, just filler and no regard at all given to our class needs/time etc.
Once last year, twice so far this year.
We need car count, fans, excitement around Nss as a sport. This only comes from having mass media followers and Purses that matter enough to deal with rules that often don't seem to make sense . I know quite a few folks whose cars would qualify but they are not willing to cut 40 hp off their rig by changing intakes and carbs, much less spend that kind of money to go slower.
I love NSS , just think it could be much better and, if we don't get better , i fear its going to die out sooner rather than later.
We obey the rules for what we run in, as DVW stated so well.
Blessings all.

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: RustyM] #3164338
07/30/23 04:41 PM
07/30/23 04:41 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline OP
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Rusty you pretty much summed up the issues in the class. I have owned my Savoy for about 30 years and only race it when I have the spare time and money. I sat out side of the NSS class for years because I wouldn't spend another $3000 on an induction that would slow my car down. I race with a stick shift group that have some rules that I don't 100% agree with but I follow them so I can still participate. I'm racing NSS this weekend with a single 4 barrel carb and I'm very happy they have changed the rules to allow me to race with them. I think there is maybe one or two other stick cars in the class. I know that I'm probably the first round duck because they won't let me run the race 5-speed I have so I need to leave the stock HEMI box in the car. But I will be there with a smile on my face hanging out with my friends.

Gus beer

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: RustyM] #3164340
07/30/23 04:56 PM
07/30/23 04:56 PM
Missouri
J
jwb123 Offline
super stock
jwb123  Offline
super stock
J

Missouri
I ran with Victory, NMCA, and NSS inc. Several times doing match races with NSS inc. we ran with some of the 405 street outlaws, and our NSS cars all pitted together drew about 30 or so olds guys talking about stuff they seen and did 40 years ago, and the street outlaw pits were mobbed with about a thousand people wanting autographs and t-shirts. Even my nephew that rode to the track with me went over an got a street outlaw T-shirt. My 64 Dodge was built with the help of Tech Students at the college I taught at. Built the car in 1994, kids all thought it was neat. I taught for 26 years; the new students did not even know what a super stock dodge was. All they were interested in was blowers, Turbos, and nitrous, and outlaw street racing. Times are just changing. I had one student win a car on Pinks.

As far as the carb rules go. Back in the day before my Dodge was changed over to NSS rules, it had one of the old Wieand cross rams with a single dominator. And it was an original NASCAR Dominator with a choke. That was not nostalgic enough, so I put on a 1964 Chrysler cross ram, car slowed down 4 tenths. First NSS race I drove my bosses 63 dodge with a cross ram I think it ran 11.50's and was in the middle of the pack. When I sold my NSS 64 Dodge is ran 9.60's still with AFB carbs. Originally, we had rules on how fast the cars could go. after all the 1965 national record for Super Stock was what? 10.90's The first match race was with a promoter in St. Louis at a race called muscle from the past, and he had the maxwedges, hemis, 409's etc,. paired with newer performance cars, think that was 1989 a 10.50 NSS car was super fast then.

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: jwb123] #3164383
07/30/23 08:07 PM
07/30/23 08:07 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
I don't buy the double carbs with the Indy 440-25 are slower. There are more than a few cars running tunnel rams in NMCA. All but one that I know of are slower than mine. And all but one are lighter as well. Raced with a few guys that have gone to a sinngle Dominator as well. If they wereany quicker it wasn't much. Many weren't any quicker. The 440-25 on my car is unmodified. It will run 9.0x just in just about any weather at 3350lbs. More than a few cars running two Eddys and Mod-Man intakes running 9.50 and 9.75 index in NMCA. Two eddys and a Mod Man cost is within $200 of a 850 Holley and a Victor intake. I don't know where you get $3000 dollar cost from. Now granted two custom built 4150's and a brand new 440-25 are close to $3K purchased brand new. Either way, a 4150 single or a pair of Eddy's are capable of running in the 9 second zone. But the beauty of N/SS is you don't need a 9 second car. As for the 5 speed if you only used 4 gears no one would ever notice. Lots of excuses why guys can't or won't run N/SS. But in reality it's not that restrictive.
Doug

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: jwb123] #3164389
07/30/23 08:43 PM
07/30/23 08:43 PM
Texas
R
RustyM Offline
mopar
RustyM  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
Excellent JWB.

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: dvw] #3164397
07/30/23 09:30 PM
07/30/23 09:30 PM
Texas
R
RustyM Offline
mopar
RustyM  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
DVW: I'm not complaining per say, i'm simply saying : We can change just dang near everything on a car but carbs and intakes . For instance: we CANNOT run a tunnel ram because Chrysler didn't make one.
Ok, i will buy that all day long,,, as long as we agree to get rid of every other intake Chrysler didn't make, the ignitions chrysler didn't make, the stroker combos they didn't make, the transmissions they didn't make,etc. etc, etc. Why is carb and intake the only things on our cars that cannot be changed>

Everything here is 1/8 mile, We are AFX at 5.92 spring and fall right now, BFX at 6.09 at 106 degree heat and 45% humidity. If I put a 4500 flange carb on it, we can run the 5.92 no matter the weather and not have to put the car on the razorblade for tuning. We "can" run the 5.92 now but, i have to put it on a razor blade and beat it like we are running for 50K, 3340lbs 65 satellite.
When we were on the dyno we are building vacuum with the 4150 flange carb and, pick up a LOT with the 4500 flange ( no, these are NOT out of the box intakes or carbs ) . That stated, we run in some of the most miserable racing weather in the country, two tracks we automatically lose 1 to 1.5 inches of barometric pressure and out better tracks that sit at 450 ft above sea level have a da this time of year, without this extreme heat of,,,m wait for it,, 4500 to 5200 ft with 125-140 grains of water.
Its "pendulum" racing- grin.
I love induction systems and tuning hot rods and, im pretty decent at it , at least down here and, more times than not down here, single carbs set up correctly win races. Thats coming from a guy that really loves being able to do cylinder tuning on a good dual setup.
Yes, absolutely you can get enough cfm from two eddies, yes, guys are running 1/4 mile in the 9,s, 8s, 7s with dual eddies, absolutely. Yes, some are doing so with the Indy Mailbox and Ive seen one modman in the 8's.
Let me put two handbuilt 4150's on those same intakes and i will make mph and cut et.
Let me put better or, modified intakes on those same rigs and they will indeed be faster/quicker.
We all know this and we don't have to sacrifice et/mph for trannys. cranks, cams, oiling systems/valvetrain/ignitions etc, etc.
Im not dissing Anyones induction systems at all, if i sounded as such, my deepest and most sincere of apologies as that was Not my intention. I just do not understand why it is we can buy anything we have the money to buy for these cars until it comes to carbs and intakes - nothing else is restricted, hell, we can run tubular front suspensions, carbon fibre shafts, bearlocks ( which i'm pro beadlocks for safety) , electric fans, dry sumps, vacuum pumps, pretty much any race fuel including oxygenated , shifters no one from 1965-75 could even have dreamed of- why the carb limitations?

I know this has been beat to death a million times and we wont solve it here. You have been great to me/us here and really helped us build this program so, im praying i have not offended you.
Its just a rule i do not understand and every explanation falls far short of making sense in light of all the other things allowed.

I would have zero issues if we were literally running 60, 70's, Superstock rules
as they were other than the safety rules- i'm Pro safety modern safety rules.

I just find it an odd rule that i "personally" can find no logical way to justify in light of the whole ruleset.

Dig this: We can run 02 sensors in the car, but, we cannot attach or download "that data" to look at because thy didnt have it back then. Ok, but, we can record the gauge with a iphone or Go Pro and just watch the gauge through the run. Again- makes no sense to me.
IF the point of the carb rules was to keep the cars from being too fast- man, i might be able to say: Ok, i get it.

Im Old DVW, I came up when racing was heads up, who crossed the stripe first wins is they didn't cross the line or jump.
I stopped when brackets took over everything but street racing down here, and it was everything outside nhraand, what i thought a fad, became permanent. Came back 35-40 years later to NSS race , my God had the world changed , racing changed . Had never indexed race a day in my life, now, it consumes most everything year round and, my wife and i have a blast- even in this horrible heat ( its come down to 104as i write, was 107 here at 3:30 today.
Cars in NSS-A Today are faster than regional ProStock when I sold all my stuff!!

Lastly: I have nothing against Eddies , love em, sell a ton of em on customer builds - good carbs . Can do quite a bit with them and know some good builders that mod them- but , have yet to see anyone that can do with them what we can do with 4150/4500 "style" custom built carbs and, i think thats primarily due to the fact that there was not as much aftermarket support in the 70's thru to now, as there was with Holleys .
so, please understand- i was not dissing your Hotrod buddy, not at all, nor anyone elses. You still beat the crap out of us on the 60' bud . Im still chasing you, thats factual .

Sweet Jesus, wrote a freaking book, sorry folks.
my intentions were honorable even if execution was faulty.

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: dvw] #3164431
07/31/23 08:02 AM
07/31/23 08:02 AM
Minn
S
SportF Offline
pro stock
SportF  Offline
pro stock
S

Minn
"Lots of excuses why guys can't or won't run N/SS. But in reality it's not that restrictive.
Doug

If someone has a workable answer to fix car count, we'd all benefit. But changing the rules has never worked. This is a great and fun class to run in. Showing up is part of the fix.

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: SportF] #3164443
07/31/23 08:59 AM
07/31/23 08:59 AM
Georgia
66coronet Offline
super stock
66coronet  Offline
super stock

Georgia
Originally Posted by SportF
"Lots of excuses why guys can't or won't run N/SS. But in reality it's not that restrictive.
Doug

If someone has a workable answer to fix car count, we'd all benefit. But changing the rules has never worked. This is a great and fun class to run in. Showing up is part of the fix.

I agree with both of these!

Rules have been "relaxed", things allowed, things added and years added. The folks dont show up. I put my car back together after a not so pleasant divorce in 2011 and went NSS racing on the 10.50 index. The cost complaining simply is not anymore than other induction combos.

It is a fun class to run.Try it rather than trying to change it. You just might find that you enjoy it.

As far as the induction conversation goes, I dont think it is as restrictive as you think...

CARBURETOR
(NSS CLASSES): All entries in the eliminator must be carbureted as outlined below. Positioning of carburetors from factory mounting not a tech item (carburetors may be positioned facing forwards, backwards, or side mounted). Choke horn, choke plate, choke shaft, choke linkage, and choke mechanism may be removed. Carburetors are restricted to the following manufactures: Holley, Edelbrock, Carter, Rochester, Demon, Quick Fuel Technologies. Vehicles in this class permitted the use of carburetors listed for NSS, or Holley, Quick Fuel or Holley based carburetor 4150 style with a maximum 1.750 throttle blade. (NO Dominators). Carburetor must have commercially available cast main body. Billet Base Plate and metering blocks are permitted. All NSS combinations are permitted duel four carburetor setup.

FUEL INJECTION
Era-correct mechanical fuel injection permitted in FX classes only.

INTAKE MANIFOLD
Sheet metal intake prohibited. Manifolds restricted to commercially available cast units. Top of manifold lid may be modiļ¬ed and fabricated as necessary to accommodate carburetor placement.
Sheet metal or Billet Aluminum units permitted in AAAA/FX, AAA/FX, AA/FX, and A/FX ONLY.

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: 66coronet] #3164465
07/31/23 10:29 AM
07/31/23 10:29 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
No offence taken. I have the same issue. In the summer running 9.00 index is right on the edge for us. Though our weather isn't quite as bad as yours. I refuse to hop the motor up any more. It's to good where it is. So if I want to go that quick ther has to be a change. Aluminum blocks are too pricey. I love my chrome bumpers. So to lose 100lbs to get where it needs to be is either A; expensive B; sacrifice looks C: get very creative in 100 diffrent areas. For now in the summer we just back off and run 9.25.
Doug

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: dvw] #3164476
07/31/23 11:18 AM
07/31/23 11:18 AM
NE Ohio
DoubleD Offline
top fuel
DoubleD  Offline
top fuel

NE Ohio
NSS is a fun class and its also really up to the individual on what you want to run and how fast. I am with Doug - I don't sacrifice the look for ET - My car weighs 3800 at the line - it has a full interior including the back seat only because I like the look - I like the fact the cars have to fit the class and look nostalgic. I can run the 9.75 index but choose to dial up to the 10.0 index - that's my choice. I run two AVS II carbs - there is no advantage to them other than slowing the car with the adjustable secondary's - only reason I switched from AFB's is Edelbrock gave me a deal on the the carbs to try then out - I also run their heads. .

IMG_2721.JPG64 interior.jpg
Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: DoubleD] #3164522
07/31/23 01:14 PM
07/31/23 01:14 PM
Texas
R
RustyM Offline
mopar
RustyM  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
She's just down right beautiful!

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: dvw] #3164526
07/31/23 01:24 PM
07/31/23 01:24 PM
Texas
R
RustyM Offline
mopar
RustyM  Offline
mopar
R

Texas
DVW: Thanks buddy, was concerned i had hurt a fledgling relationship and, one that has been very helpful to me.
Now im working on "logging" as well as you do. My God man, you don't miss a thing and, looking at your screenshot of program and entered data, i can readily see where things we often dont think about logging can be very useful when needed.
Agreed on not beating the cars to death to stay on an index.
If we were racing for real money or, points that mean big money/sponsors etc, well, i would always be willing to risk breaking whatever to get the rounds/wins/points etc. But, that just doesn't make sense to me either at this level. Don't get me wrong ( grin) nothing sounds better to me than a rig tuned on the razor blade edge- all in. But, parts are so expensive and, even worse, so danged hard to get, its just not worth beating the parts up that hard imho.
Spring and fall we get to have that little extra excitement- grin.
Man do i love it when we get that fall cold spell where our Da's get well into minus numbers , year before last ( still on the cast iron block) , we had a weekend of all minus Da's and peaked at -460feet below sea level- man did i have a blast!!!!

Re: Single carb options for NSS class [Re: RustyM] #3164872
08/01/23 03:13 PM
08/01/23 03:13 PM
Loudoun County, VA
Brad_Haak Offline
super stock
Brad_Haak  Offline
super stock

Loudoun County, VA
Here's the group that runs out of Cecil County, MD, FWIW. Compared to some of the other NSS orgs, I think these guys are fairly open to what styles of cars are accepted. Even my "post-muscle car peak" 1973 Challenger is still 50 years old now, and they accept certain models up thru 1975. IIRC, they generally get 30+ cars at each event.

United Nostalgia Stock/Superstock Rules
Effective Jan. 1 2022

1. If time allows we will have a driver/crew meeting prior to first round of qualifying. Attendance is not mandatory. Listen for track announcements for when and where.

2. Cars that qualify torun this series must be American made production vehicles, between 1955 and 1975. Cars must use engines consistent t o manufacturer. (Ford/Mercury must h a v e Ford engines; Chevrolet - Chevy
engines; Plymouth and Dodge - Mopar engines; Pontiac- Pontiac engines etc. etc.). Both big and smal block engines allowed. Internal engine modifications allowed.

3. Cars must appear "PERIOD CORRECT"to the following classes: Stock, Super/Stock, Factory Experimental (F/X), Altered Wheel Base (AWB), and JuniorStock. Minor body modifications are allowed, such as "cowl" type hoods, period correct fiberglass body panels, and period correct hood scoops. Pro Stock, Snorkel or Tunnel Ram Hood Scoops are NOTACCEPTABLE. Al cars must retain factory correct appearance, including door handles, bumpers, grilles, head and taillights, etc. Said items can be of fiberglass/lightweight material (matching original pieces). Al cars must be naturally aspirated. (i.e. NO superchargers, turbochargers, nitrous oxide, or other power adders allowed.) Period correct appearing port-style fuel injection allowed on F/X and AWB cars only. Al forms of Starting Line Controllers including pneumatic and mechanical are prohibited. Full tube chassis cars are strictly prohibited.

4. All cars, drivers, and driver's safety equipment must meet N.H.R.A. rules, and pass technical inspection at the racetrack. Throttle stops, delay boxes, stutter boxes, cross overboxes are strictlyprohibited. fI these items are ni your car they cannot be used. Trans brakes and two steps allowed for stick and automatic cars.

5. All competitors must report to appropriate staging lanes when called in atimely manner. Al races will be run using a .500 sportsman full tree. Qualifying positions will be determined by driver's bestreaction time recorded duringqualifying and/or elimination rounds. "Deep staging" is NOT allowed. If yourcaris deep staged either during qualifying or eliminations, as thestarter activatesthe switch your sideof the tree wil go immediately red. No elapsed time wil be recorded. (This is known as the "Blue Light Setting")

6. Something new has been added recently tothe starting system. It is known as "Tru Start". Instead of the first to red-light being the loser, the system wil pick theworst red-light (if both cars go red) and the win light on the scoreboards wil show the winner of the run. The tree at the starting line wil show red in both lanes. Now fi only one car goes red it may get a little confusing. Please ask any track official to clarify it to you.

7. Drivers wil select their "dial-in" for eliminations (i.e. 10.26, 13.57, 8.96, etc.). "Dial-ins" can be changed between rounds. "Dial-ins" must be posted on the side window that faces the tower. "Dial-ins" must be clear and legible for tower and track personnel to enter yourcorrect "dial-in". "Dial-ins" cannot be changed once vehicle si past the "ready line" (prior to the water box) during eliminations. "Dial-in" limited to 14.00 and lower (faster). Al drivers MUST verify that "their" correct "dial-in" si on the score board or the small indicators behind the starter before pre-staging. Once you stage your car the "dial-in" on the score board si yours whetherit's the correct one or not. There will be NO reruns because an incorrect"dial-in" wasentered.

8. Eliminations will begin with random pairings. The #1 qualifier receiving a "bye" run if there are an odd number of competitors in the first round. In subsequent rounds fi odd number of cars are scheduled, the car with the best winning reaction time will be pulled aside. If odd number of cars do showt h e car wil get the bye, if even number of cars show, the bye car wil run the last car in the lanes and have lane choice. You wil only get one bye run per race. Random pairings wil continue each round, until the field si reduced to sixteen (16) or less cars. At sixteen (16) or less cars, the pairings will be run on a sportsman ladder. The ladder is generated by the computer in the tower.

9. Acceptance for participation and competition is based solely on the Event Director's discretion. Inappropriate or indecent conduct will not be tolerated. This series was created basedsolely on the idea of having fun, "Run By Racers For Racers." so let's al have fun and be safe, out there.

2021 Challenger 6.4L Scat Pack 1320
100% stock: 1.680, 11.894 at 113.75 (DA 175 ft)
weight reduction, wheels, tires, Hellcat air box: 1.661, 11.686 at 115.97 (DA 710 ft)

1973 Challenger 452 ci street/strip [2008]
pump gas, DOT radials: 1.454, 10.523 at 126.44 (DA 514 ft)
Page 2 of 2 1 2