07/10/23 09:29 AM
07/10/23 09:29 AM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/4085828-a-record-share-of-americans-are-living-alone/

sample quote

The U.S. Census shows that “solitaries” made up 8 percent of all households in 1940.
The share of solo households doubled to 18 percent in 1970
and more than tripled, to an estimated 29 percent, by 2022.
...snip...
“Living alone can be a dream come true,” said Bella DePaulo, author of the forthcoming book “Single at Heart.”
Solitary living means “you get to curate your own life,” she said. “You decide when to go to sleep and when to get up, what and when to eat, what to watch or to listen to for entertainment, and how warm or cool your place will be.” No more fighting over the thermostat.
...snip...
The gender gap in solitary living closes with age.
In the retirement years, women are more likely than men to live alone.
That statistic is partly about women outliving husbands, and partly about “grey divorce,” the rising rate of marriages that dissolve after age 50. The grey divorce rate has doubled since 1990. “It used to be that if people were married for 30 years and they entered their 60s, basically, they were going to stay married,” said Barbara Risman, a distinguished professor of sociology at the University of Illinois Chicago. “You would pass the risk of divorce. No one is ever past the risk of divorce anymore.”

end quote

I guess one upside is that singles can spend on hobbies and interests what they want, when they want,
at least before the current inflation and “supply chain” snarls.

Re: 29% “single person household” new record [Re: 360view] #3158473
07/10/23 10:14 AM
07/10/23 10:14 AM
New State
kidmopar Online content
master
kidmopar  Online Content
master

New State
That's where I'm at at 68 years old ....... After 42 years we decided to call it quits ....... I'm on my own and she's living with 31 yr. old daughter

I have met a very wonderful 63 yr. old lady who lost her husband to covid after 44 yrs/ marriage and we are doing awesome ! thumbs devil grin

Last edited by kidmopar; 07/10/23 10:58 AM.
Re: 29% “single person household” new record [Re: kidmopar] #3158657
07/10/23 09:41 PM
07/10/23 09:41 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
My wife and me will be together until death do us part. After 47 years together, we still get along great.
I suspect that if anything happens to either of us, the other will be a single person household (unless you count a dog she may or may not have).

Re: 29% “single person household” new record [Re: poorboy] #3158674
07/10/23 10:50 PM
07/10/23 10:50 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Online content
I Live Here
TJP  Online Content
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by poorboy
My wife and me will be together until death do us part. After 47 years together, we still get along great.
I suspect that if anything happens to either of us, the other will be a single person household (unless you count a dog she may or may not have).

42 years tomorrow and if something happened to her, not much else would matter twocents

Re: 29% “single person household” new record [Re: TJP] #3158686
07/10/23 11:16 PM
07/10/23 11:16 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Online content
master
Dcuda69  Online Content
master

WI
36 yrs for us...can't imagine life without her. Question is....how is the data compiled? I have a 33 yr old daughter that lives with her boyfriend....they have been together 12 yrs, bought a house,etc, yet they are technically "single". How does that figure in the "data"??

Re: 29% “single person household” new record [Re: 360view] #3158699
07/11/23 12:27 AM
07/11/23 12:27 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Effective widespread birth control for women in the 60's changed the whole dynamics of power, control, etc in this area, that accounts for the percentage increases noted and their timeline.
Whether that is for better or worse, is IMO strictly, an individual calculation.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: 29% “single person household” new record [Re: jcc] #3158808
07/11/23 12:05 PM
07/11/23 12:05 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
my wife and i have been together 44 years, married for 43 years on the 20th of this month.
if either of us goes, the other will be single until planted.
i have always said : "i'll never do it again..........".............. biggrin
she also tells me : "you haft'a sleep sometime........" laugh2
beer

Re: 29% “single person household” new record [Re: jcc] #3158824
07/11/23 12:53 PM
07/11/23 12:53 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
Observing changing trends in our culture is interesting. It can be difficult to understand all the reasons why changes occur. I suspect there are several factors leading to increasing numbers of people living alone. For instance, the age of the average American has been climbing over the past decades. As noted, older people are often alone due to the death of their spouse. With a higher average age, it's logical to assume that this contributes to more people living alone. Another factor is the average age when young people have been choosing to marry has been increasing. On the other hand, there are factors that have decreased the number of single households. For example, gay couples can now marry. This increases the number of people who can potentially marry. Another factor to consider is that divorce rates have been declining slightly. This is said to be due to fewer couple getting married in the first place. Overall, the factors leading to greater numbers of single households are stronger than the factors leading to fewer single households.

It seems that marriage can be especially helpful in one's later years. Both of my parents are still alive. Each of them have MANY health issues. Being together, they are able to partially take care of each other. (They also receive quite a bit of help from several family members and friends.) If either of my parents dies, it will be nearly impossible for the survivor to live alone. (On the other hand, if one of them dies the other will probably not be far behind.)

On a more personal note, it appears that I will most likely outlive my wife. If this happens, I do not know if I will re-marry. As a younger man, getting married was an important goal. Back then, marriage was seen as an important part of a well lived life. In the second half of life, being married doesn't seem as important any more. I've already done that! The financial risks of marriage can be significant. As someone noted, "Grey Divorce" has become more common. This means the risks of getting married in later life have increased. Is it worth it? That's an individual decision!

I have a significant concern about facing my last years alone. This could be a huge challenge, if I have similar issues to my parents. Unfortunately, I do not have any children. I'm not sure how to handle this situation.

Last edited by QuickDodge; 07/11/23 12:55 PM.