Observing changing trends in our culture is interesting. It can be difficult to understand all the reasons why changes occur. I suspect there are several factors leading to increasing numbers of people living alone. For instance, the age of the average American has been climbing over the past decades. As noted, older people are often alone due to the death of their spouse. With a higher average age, it's logical to assume that this contributes to more people living alone. Another factor is the average age when young people have been choosing to marry has been increasing. On the other hand, there are factors that have decreased the number of single households. For example, gay couples can now marry. This increases the number of people who can potentially marry. Another factor to consider is that divorce rates have been declining slightly. This is said to be due to fewer couple getting married in the first place. Overall, the factors leading to greater numbers of single households are stronger than the factors leading to fewer single households.

It seems that marriage can be especially helpful in one's later years. Both of my parents are still alive. Each of them have MANY health issues. Being together, they are able to partially take care of each other. (They also receive quite a bit of help from several family members and friends.) If either of my parents dies, it will be nearly impossible for the survivor to live alone. (On the other hand, if one of them dies the other will probably not be far behind.)

On a more personal note, it appears that I will most likely outlive my wife. If this happens, I do not know if I will re-marry. As a younger man, getting married was an important goal. Back then, marriage was seen as an important part of a well lived life. In the second half of life, being married doesn't seem as important any more. I've already done that! The financial risks of marriage can be significant. As someone noted, "Grey Divorce" has become more common. This means the risks of getting married in later life have increased. Is it worth it? That's an individual decision!

I have a significant concern about facing my last years alone. This could be a huge challenge, if I have similar issues to my parents. Unfortunately, I do not have any children. I'm not sure how to handle this situation.

Last edited by QuickDodge; 07/11/23 12:55 PM.