Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN
Any tricks, or hints on how to get the quarter window regulator pieces attached?

Trying to get the clip circled in red attached while the regulator and window mount are in the quarter, with the clip facing towards the outside of the car.

Thanx,
Mike

1-8-2023 3-31-06 PM.png
Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: mike337] #3110197
01/08/23 09:50 PM
01/08/23 09:50 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Good luck. Best to take the two bolts out and remove the glass. Theo take the assembly out or get it in a position you can get that fastener on.

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: NITROUSN] #3110214
01/08/23 10:59 PM
01/08/23 10:59 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
Good luck. Best to take the two bolts out and remove the glass. Theo take the assembly out or get it in a position you can get that fastener on.

up Or cut a hole in the quarter panel grin tsk OK i apologize that was uncalled for . been a stressful 3-4 weeks and humor helps bring me down beer

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: TJP] #3110402
01/09/23 06:17 PM
01/09/23 06:17 PM
Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN
Glass, and every other part is already out of the quarter.

Picture that I included was for reference on the clip location.

My regulator has a PW motor attached to it. No way the assembly can go into the quarter all connected.

Other members restoring a Charger with PW must have gone through this before, but I cannot find a thread that covers this.

I will try to document my efforts if successful to serve as a reference.

Mike

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: mike337] #3110414
01/09/23 06:58 PM
01/09/23 06:58 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by mike337

My regulator has a PW motor attached to it. No way the assembly can go into the quarter all connected.

Other members restoring a Charger with PW must have gone through this before, but I cannot find a thread that covers this.

Mike

I cant say about the power window but the manual regulator it all comes out as a unit. You may have to unbolt the motor and then it will all come out. I recently finished a nut and bolt restoration on a 69 charger.

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: NITROUSN] #3110415
01/09/23 07:01 PM
01/09/23 07:01 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: NITROUSN] #3110647
01/10/23 06:29 PM
01/10/23 06:29 PM
Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN

Mike

I cant say about the power window but the manual regulator it all comes out as a unit. You may have to unbolt the motor and then it will all come out. I recently finished a nut and bolt restoration on a 69 charger.

I had seen this video previously, but the issue will be the PW motor.

Apparently, the motor has to be attached to the window regulator with tension applied to the regulator spring.

My next trial will involve mounting the regulator in a vise, applying tension, align the PW motor gear to the regulator teeth, and then attaching the motor to the regulator.

Then I will remove the assembly from the vise, and drill through the regulator surfaces to place a temporary bolt through the regulator, to hold it in a tension state, remove the motor, and then proceed as the video shows the installation.

Before bolting the inserted regulator to the interior panel, I will try to re-install the PW motor, and remove the temporary bolt that I installed.

Wish me luck!

Mike

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: mike337] #3110706
01/10/23 11:00 PM
01/10/23 11:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Just out of curiosity, what does the FSM say about replacing the PW regulator ad or Motor? i doubt they were assembled on the line with the 1/4 panels off . Additionally the dealer techs had to encounter this issue beer

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: TJP] #3110717
01/11/23 12:00 AM
01/11/23 12:00 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Originally Posted by TJP
Just out of curiosity, what does the FSM say about replacing the PW regulator ad or Motor? i doubt they were assembled on the line with the 1/4 panels off . Additionally the dealer techs had to encounter this issue beer

That's a good point. The FSM was very vague. It never did explain what to do. Ask me about the scar on my forearm. As I recall if you raise the regulator to full lift you can remove the motor. The regulator is bottomed out against the stop. Removing it with the regulator in any other position loads the regulator gear to the motor gear. Then when you pop the motor off look out. OUCH.

Re: Charger Quarter window Regulator Attachment [Re: NITROUSN] #3110815
01/11/23 12:26 PM
01/11/23 12:26 PM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Originally Posted by TJP

That's a good point. The FSM was very vague. It never did explain what to do. Ask me about the scar on my forearm. As I recall if you raise the regulator to full lift you can remove the motor. The regulator is bottomed out against the stop. Removing it with the regulator in any other position loads the regulator gear to the motor gear. Then when you pop the motor off look out. OUCH.

OMG !! . . . not sure what Ma Mopar was thinking on the design of the rear window/regulator on B bodies . . . surely they installed them BEFORE the 1/4 panel was put on ! UGGGHHH . . .as for your "forearm scar", I can relate - am sure I donated a pint of blood per side, when I did my Sport Satellite - and its manual windows.

Good luck. . .

PW Quarter Glass Regulator Install (Part 1) [Re: a12rag] #3112367
01/16/23 01:53 AM
01/16/23 01:53 AM
Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN
I am breaking this post up into parts because of its length, and the limit on pics that I can attach to an individual post.

After coming to a roadblock/halt on my under-hood wiring, I ramped up again to install a rear power window quarter regulator, and all the associated hardware. I refinished all the brackets in the past, but then had issues with the motors for the regulators, so that install got placed on a back burner. I do have two working stock motors so will begin with the right rear hardware install.

Three very helpful threads that I have been able to find on this issue are listed below. However, the threads seem to float back and forth between power window regulators and manual regulators. I believe the power window regulator install will be more of a pain because the motor has to be installed on the regulator prior to the regulator being moved into place within the rear quarter of the car. The window motor will not allow the regulator assembly to be installed from the top (thru the window channel) or through the truck area into the quarter.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97925.msg1134086.html#msg1134086
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=98556.0;all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TsGqmQGUow

Note: For those with stock power window motors, the right side should be part number 2520902.

I ordered a roller kit for this assembly, and all the rollers are being replaced.

I did not see the two per side required felt donuts to go under the glass bolts for sale anywhere, so just fabricated the donuts out of some sheet foam I already had on hand.

NOTE: Please excuse my use of any incorrect names on the assembly parts as I am not sure what the correct names are for some of them.

Here is the right quarter assembly:

1. I used pics available online to figure out how the whole assembly went together, and put together my right rear quarter unit on my work bench. (Picture 1)

2. I then disassembled the entire thing to figure out the order of what would have to go into the quarter first.

3. I was then left with the regulator, and aluminium window channel to go into the quarter together. I believe they have to go into the quarter together because of the outward facing circular clip that fits over the regulator stud after it passes through the aluminium window channel. I did not see any way that I could both press the two pieces, and install the circular clip while both parts were in the quarter. (Picture 2-Sample pic, not my assembly, but you can see the clip circled in RED)

4. The biggest issue became the PW motor. Because of its width, the motor could not be in place on the regulator, as it was slid into the quarter. However, the regulator has to be placed under tension via the window regulator spring before the motor can be attached. I did not see a way to get this done while the regulator was in the quarter.

5. Assembling the motor to the bare regulator was easy with just dropping the spring into place, putting the regulator in a vice, and then rotating the regulator arm until it was under tension. Rotate the arm until the gear surface of the regulator was opposite where the motor mounts, and attach the motor to the regulator. The regulator is now under tension, with the motor in place. (Picture 3)

6. With the motor still in place, you will see that the geared section of the regulator has several existing holes that overlay the mounting section of the regulator. With the regulator, and motor on a bench, I then drilled a hole in the mounting section of the regulator, using one of the existing holes as a guide for the drill bit, and placed a small bolt through the geared section, and mounting section, and put a nut on the end. With the bolt in place, I was then able to remove the PW motor from the regulator, and keep it under tension. The bolt also made reattachment of the motor to the regulator fairly easy when it was in the quarter, as the geared section was still aligned with the gear on the removed motor. (Picture 4)

Picture 1.jpgPicture 2.jpgPicture 3.jpgPicture 4.jpg
Re: PW Quarter Glass Regulator Install (Part 2) [Re: mike337] #3112368
01/16/23 01:58 AM
01/16/23 01:58 AM
Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN
Continuing from previous post:

7. There is a stud on the regulator that goes through the aluminium window channel, through the split white plastic bushing, that has a circular metal clip that locks down over the stud, as seen in Picture 2. I used 2 small c-clamps to press the regulator and window channel together, put the clip in place, and pressed down on each of the prongs, one at a time to get them to seal into the stud’s recessed slot area. There is a noticeable click as each of the prongs on the clip seat into the recessed slot. (Picture 6)

8. The regulator arm with the roller/clip installed goes into the center roller slot of the window channel. (Picture 7)

9. I temporarily slid the regulator roller from the window channel slot to make it easier to try and pivot the now joined regulator/channel pieces around the regulator post, and slide the joined pieces into the quarter area. I fed the regulator geared section in first, and was then able to manipulate the window channel into the quarter as well. (Picture 8 -Right quarter viewed from the exterior of the car)

10. I then moved the PW motor into position via the large quarter panel access opening, and started first the motor mounting bolt at 9 o’clock, then the ones at 12, and 6 o’clock. Tightening them in sequence allowed the motor gear and regulator toothed area to nicely mesh into place. Once the bolts were tight, I then removed the temporary bolt that I had installed to keep tension on the regulator spring.(Picture 9)

Picture 6.jpgPicture 7.jpgPicture 8.jpgPicture 9.jpg
Re: PW Quarter Glass Regulator Install (Part 3) [Re: mike337] #3112369
01/16/23 02:05 AM
01/16/23 02:05 AM
Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN

Continued from previous post:

11. Drove me crazy for a while, but I believe that out of the 3 threaded regulator mounting points to attach it to the quarter sheet metal, only the one on the upper rearward-facing end of the regulator is used. I surmise that Dodge designed the large J-shaped bracket that connects up to the motor housing to provide a second mounting point for the attached motor/regulator assembly. (Picture 11 & 12)

Just finished up this work today, and will continue my posts as I get more done on this assembly.

Anyone see any major errors in my posts, please let me know, and I will edit as needed.

Thanks to all who have provided information previously to me on this as that is the only way that I have gotten this far.

I am expecting the rest of the assembly of the parts in the quarter to be much easier.

Regards,
Mike

Picture 11.jpgPicture 12.jpg
Re: PW Quarter Glass Regulator Install (Part 3) [Re: mike337] #3112444
01/16/23 11:06 AM
01/16/23 11:06 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

I did not see the two per side required felt donuts to go under the glass bolts for sale anywhere, so just fabricated the donuts out of some sheet foam I already had on hand.

There are 2 rubber washers and a rubber sleeve on each glass to regulator frame bolts. The sleeve can be made from vacuum line that fits over the bolt. I would not use foam.

Re: PW Quarter Glass Regulator Install (Part 3) [Re: NITROUSN] #3112465
01/16/23 11:52 AM
01/16/23 11:52 AM
Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN
So if I understand correctly, a rubber circular cushion that is between the bolt washer and the glass (is another one needed between the glass and the aluminum window mount?)

And then also a rubber sleeve that goes over the bolt threaded section through the glass?

Thanx,
Mike

Re: PW Quarter Glass Regulator Install (Part 3) [Re: mike337] #3112488
01/16/23 12:45 PM
01/16/23 12:45 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

So if I understand correctly, a rubber circular cushion that is between the bolt washer and the glass (is another one needed between the glass and the aluminum window mount?)

And then also a rubber sleeve that goes over the bolt threaded section through the glass?

Thanx,
Mike

Yes a flat rubber washer on each side of the glass and a small sleeve on the bolt as long as the thickness of the glass.

Re: PW Quarter Glass Regulator Install (Part 3) [Re: NITROUSN] #3112507
01/16/23 01:26 PM
01/16/23 01:26 PM
Cannelton, IN
M
mike337 Offline OP
pro stock
mike337  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Cannelton, IN
Got it, and thanks for steering me straight!

Mike