05/17/22 03:43 PM
05/17/22 03:43 PM
Houston, Texas
racerx20 Offline
Standard but OK
racerx20  Offline
Standard but OK

Houston, Texas
Agreed, bill of sale doesn't mean anything in Texas.

1972 Road Runner

1988 Shelby CSX-T
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: racerx20] #3043137
05/17/22 06:07 PM
05/17/22 06:07 PM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
How is this guy going to title this car without a bill of sale.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043162
05/17/22 07:49 PM
05/17/22 07:49 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Originally Posted by Sammy
How is this guy going to title this car without a bill of sale.

Not all states require one.

Here in TN you put the purchase price on the back of the title and that is all that is needed. In LA where I used to live, they required a notarized bill of sale and the title.

Each state is different.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: srt] #3043184
05/17/22 09:47 PM
05/17/22 09:47 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by srt
Selling real estate I've used this clause:

At Closing, Buyer shall receive a repair credit against the Purchase Price in an amount equal to $X for repairs and replacements at the Property. Said repair credit is the total agreed amount between Buyer and Seller as offset the repair work found during Buyers completing due diligence inspections of the property. Seller nor Buyer shall have any obligation to pay the other party due to any increase or decrease of the actual cost of the repair work compared with the credit given and said credit shall not be subject to adjustment.

As it seems it may be difficult for you to communicate with the buyer about what you said "It was older restoration but still looked great."
All the writing on this site does nothing to resolve. Before the deal completely sours and with the potential to spend a lot to resolve think about a fairly easy fix.
The real estate deal requires inspections. The sale from a far requires trust and facts (there's that word). The problem is based in interpretation of condition and the private discussions we are not privy.
It's tough to communicate about these deals. I'd recommend the easy road of communicating and getting his list and what he wants. Then you develop your counter and get him to accept.
Or, don't and see what happens.

In my case the list of IMAGINARY problems and his demands kept changing. Keep in mind this went on for 6 MONTHS with no opportunity by him to allow me to address ANY of the IMAGINARY issues. I tried everything humanly possible and he just kept adding things. He finally said he wanted all money refunded .After telling him I was done, I was served several weeks later. Based on what I have read so far this is likely Scrote's close relative pity

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043198
05/17/22 11:01 PM
05/17/22 11:01 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
If you were selling the car as a private individual(I assume) it is all on him. I have bought 3 "hotrods" sight unseen. Talked to the owners quite a bit also. They are used cars so you get what you get for not getting on a plane and doing your own due diligence. Cyclone, was almost exactly as described. Only thing he forgot to tell me was only 1 of the drum brakes worked which made the drive from the dropoff spot fun as heck. Superbee was a roller so yeah, Got what I paid for. Barracuda looked nicer than it was. Started working on it and was going to just put a V8 kframe in, drop a 360 in and drive it and have fun. That was the plan until I crawled under the rear and realized the frame over the diff was completely rusted out. Never called any of the sellers back. You buy a car that is 30-50 years old, well, it isn't like it was just on the show room floor. Guy is and idgit who is trying to scam you. Yes Hemis aren't cheap but he knew the risks. Not like the car showed up with 318 in it when you showed a Hemi in the pictures I hope.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: klunick] #3043238
05/18/22 08:46 AM
05/18/22 08:46 AM
boston mass-moving to long isl...
M
massdaytona Offline
mopar
massdaytona  Offline
mopar
M

boston mass-moving to long isl...

only way i have sold cars is if the owner... or his rep eyeballed them- would not sell sight unseen

in the bill of sale it states sold 'as is, as seen' .....

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043281
05/18/22 11:24 AM
05/18/22 11:24 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Just out of curiosity,
Do you have ANYTHING in writing, an email, the original ad etc. that states the car is being sold AS -IS?

I will mention the following for others: I've learned in the last 25 years of being in business that People who are in a rush to get something done almost always turn out to be A PROBLEM.
After having experienced this 5 or so times, I noted it was a common trait these people seem to have
After noting this, It became a BRIGHT RED FLAG that I will not ignore, and send them elsewhere.
beer

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043308
05/18/22 01:18 PM
05/18/22 01:18 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
This comes too late for this deal, but I have learned through selling hundreds and hundreds of used cars, trucks, vans, and motorcycles including classics that the deal is going to go down MY WAY. Not their way. That doesn't mean that I won't make some concessions to them to get the deal. But overall, the deal will be done my way and all documents that I have will be executed to my satisfaction. And one document in particular that the buyer has to sign and is all by itself with no fine print is AS-IS NO WARRANTY. A full page that has only that and the vehicle's description on it.

Now recently, Illinois has stepped in and forced a warranty on some used vehicles. That played a role in our deciding to go exclusively to 'rebuilts'. They are exempt from the State's mandate.

There is not much the OP can do at this point except wait for the buyer's next move. As I said before, I certainly would cease all communication with the buyer immediately. Whether the time is right for an attorney is a matter of opinion. It's only money.

Master, again and still
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: DaveRS23] #3043330
05/18/22 04:35 PM
05/18/22 04:35 PM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
This comes too late for this deal, but I have learned through selling hundreds and hundreds of used cars, trucks, vans, and motorcycles including classics that the deal is going to go down MY WAY. Not their way. That doesn't mean that I won't make some concessions to them to get the deal. But overall, the deal will be done my way and all documents that I have will be executed to my satisfaction. And one document in particular that the buyer has to sign and is all by itself with no fine print is AS-IS NO WARRANTY. A full page that has only that and the vehicle's description on it.

Now recently, Illinois has stepped in and forced a warranty on some used vehicles. That played a role in our deciding to go exclusively to 'rebuilts'. They are exempt from the State's mandate.

There is not much the OP can do at this point except wait for the buyer's next move. As I said before, I certainly would cease all communication with the buyer immediately. Whether the time is right for an attorney is a matter of opinion. It's only money.

If selling a car privately, would you recommend something like this (distorted on purpose)?:

15DD7FD6-90E5-4C62-8322-EC6377818129.jpeg

China is the enemy.
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: 1972CudaV21] #3043334
05/18/22 04:49 PM
05/18/22 04:49 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
It would be perfect if printed on very dark shadowy grey paper.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: 1972CudaV21] #3043377
05/18/22 06:53 PM
05/18/22 06:53 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Probably nothing wrong with that agreement. It uses a lot more verbiage than we do, but it gets to the point.

Master, again and still
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: DaveRS23] #3043388
05/18/22 07:33 PM
05/18/22 07:33 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
Bummer for your situation. First thing is I would do is a google search in his state and see if he has sued others for similar problems.
Have an attorney send a letter to stop harassing you.
Change accounts, just in case.
Remind him he bought it after it was inspected twice already and your done with it. Anything that he finds or damaged while he uses it is on him. Also, your not responsible for damage after it leaves your possession from improper transport or driver repellence.
I would not even offer to take the car back. He could have damaged it or swapped out some valuable parts with cheap ones.

Personally I would send a pic of myself in a Las Vegas club surrounded by pretty girls, my crew, lots of bottles of house booze and a couple black bags on the table with a caption saying ‘I spent it all buddy. Go pound sand or get buried in it). up

Last edited by migsBIG; 05/19/22 08:32 AM.
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: migsBIG] #3043411
05/18/22 08:38 PM
05/18/22 08:38 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Sad to say but I have literally rebuilt every mechanical system, suspension, steering, etc and 1/2 the electrical on the 69 Cyclone. That said, it is still a "USED" car. I was a refusnik for cell phones until 2 years ago. Why? Because despite a huge effort and good money going into the car I knew eventually I was going to need to call for a tow. In fact second time out I exploded the torque convertor and trashed the trans. There I sat in a parking lot that I was able to push the car into. Technically a brand new/old car with 15 miles on the engine. Only person I wished I had gone after were the manufacturers of "BOSS HOG" convertors. Had I known my local trans shop makes billet units. Oh, if only. Think everyone gets my point. Even with a transplanted new engine, you are still going to have issues. Nature of the beast. If you don't believe it, find a new hobby.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: TJP] #3043426
05/18/22 09:51 PM
05/18/22 09:51 PM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted by TJP
Just out of curiosity,
Do you have ANYTHING in writing, an email, the original ad etc. that states the car is being sold AS -IS?

I will mention the following for others: I've learned in the last 25 years of being in business that People who are in a rush to get something done almost always turn out to be A PROBLEM.
After having experienced this 5 or so times, I noted it was a common trait these people seem to have
After noting this, It became a BRIGHT RED FLAG that I will not ignore, and send them elsewhere.
beer

I have text messages that you must sign the bill of sale.
He said he would and scan it and send it back. I said I want to fax it to you now and both him and the guy who looked at rhe car stated they don't own a fax machine.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043432
05/18/22 10:13 PM
05/18/22 10:13 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by TJP
Just out of curiosity,

beer

He said he would and scan it and send it back. I said I want to fax it to you now and both him and the guy who looked at rhe car stated they don't own a fax machine.

I'm assuming he didn't scan it and send it back. STOP

OK, then send a PDF file. He could have printed it, signed it, scanned it back into a PDF it or take a picture, and return it via email.

As previously mentioned It doesn't sound like this is his first rodeo frown

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043444
05/18/22 10:51 PM
05/18/22 10:51 PM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida

Don't sign it without him signing it first. I don't know what that matters...maybe not at all, but if he wants to play head games, play 'em...
It sounds to me like maybe now he needs you...

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Fat_Mike] #3043551
05/19/22 11:37 AM
05/19/22 11:37 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

Don't sign it without him signing it first. I don't know what that matters...maybe not at all, but if he wants to play head games, play 'em...
It sounds to me like maybe now he needs you...

maybe I'm confused (easily done laugh2)

On the Bill of sale,
Is he now requesting a bill of sale OR is your statement above referring to BEFORE the car left your possession.

If the request is current, type up a bill of sale listing the date of sale, amount received, make, model, VIN #
State that the vehicle is / was (is preferred) sold AS-IS with no warranties of any kind implied or claims on condition as it was inspected by his _____________
PDF the file and email. He can sign it, HAVE IT NOTARIZED and overnite or PDF it back. if all looks good, sign it a send it back
popcorn

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: TJP] #3043589
05/19/22 01:07 PM
05/19/22 01:07 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
You need to step back from this and get focused on what you can control. Worrying about what texts you have about an unsigned bill of sale isn’t going to get this to go away. Sure, save those, but as tjp said, a court may laugh at that as anything to be concerned with.

Cease communications until you speak to an attorney, and focus on finding one with experience with such a mess. Or wait until his sends a letter and then get one. These are things you can control. If you want to ask him what it will take to “make this right” to get you peace on the matter, that’s another thing you can control. Personally I would see if he moves on before doing that one.

History of the future- if he’s a game player with means or an accomplice attorney(himself, brother, friend) he can shake you down. A lawsuit will cost at least 15k. For you. He may not face as much if he has the right setup. The game will be chicken to see who will shell out the opening salvo in court, or see if the other guy coughs up 5k to make it go away. He’ll drum up a 30k invoice for a paint job, parts missing, engine work, etc. so you will have to choose to fight on principle or pay a lesser amount to get away from him. Will a judge or jury have knowledgeable car people that will see the issues with understanding, or will they see pictures taken to accent a flaky spot or rust on the back of a bumper and see it as you sold him a lemon?

I want my fair share
Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: SomeCarGuy] #3043593
05/19/22 01:23 PM
05/19/22 01:23 PM
Wind Gap,Pa.
S
Sammy Offline OP
top fuel
Sammy  Offline OP
top fuel
S

Wind Gap,Pa.
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
You need to step back from this and get focused on what you can control. Worrying about what texts you have about an unsigned bill of sale isn’t going to get this to go away. Sure, save those, but as tjp said, a court may laugh at that as anything to be concerned with.

Cease communications until you speak to an attorney, and focus on finding one with experience with such a mess. Or wait until his sends a letter and then get one. These are things you can control. If you want to ask him what it will take to “make this right” to get you peace on the matter, that’s another thing you can control. Personally I would see if he moves on before doing that one.

History of the future- if he’s a game player with means or an accomplice attorney(himself, brother, friend) he can shake you down. A lawsuit will cost at least 15k. For you. He may not face as much if he has the right setup. The game will be chicken to see who will shell out the opening salvo in court, or see if the other guy coughs up 5k to make it go away. He’ll drum up a 30k invoice for a paint job, parts missing, engine work, etc. so you will have to choose to fight on principle or pay a lesser amount to get away from him. Will a judge or jury have knowledgeable car people that will see the issues with understanding, or will they see pictures taken to accent a flaky spot or rust on the back of a bumper and see it as you sold him a lemon?

His text was saying only rusty bumpers, needs tune up and new spark ug wires and sparkplug and one flipped headliner bow. The car was thoroughly inspected twice. Once at my house and then at the drop-off location.
He complained also, I left the car with little gasoline.
Bumpers weren't rusty and also sparkplug wires were new with 30 miles on them . Same with sparkplug
As stated before, the car ran unbelievably strong and no issues. Idles perfectly.

Re: Selling a hemi car privately. What aPain [Re: Sammy] #3043611
05/19/22 02:26 PM
05/19/22 02:26 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Any chance fuel sloshing around on trip and ethanol laced fuel on fuel system components could have changed anything?
This is part of the subjective stuff than can be cleared up on the suggested "fact finding" inquiry.
I wouldn't open a can of worms, nor be the catalyst that gets this guy coming at you. Just a simple q "what's your idea to fix".
Bottom line is that if he does not "go away" the list of "stuff" might become unfathomable.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6