03/02/22 07:35 PM
03/02/22 07:35 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
I'm trying to do the swap to the Denso internally regulated 60 amp alternator. My question is what do I do with the old wiring to the regulator? I know the output from the regulator goes to the ignition resistor, but I switched to an MSD 6 years ago, so I don't need it for the ignition. What else does it feed, and do I need to rewire it somewhere? I was thinking of re-purposing the dark green wire from the stock distributor to the VR as the 12 volt sensing wire, has anyone done that? Since I need a 12V ignition switched wire is there any chance the other wire from the VR that runs to the ignition resistor could be used for that? Any help is appreciated, electrical stuff is voodoo to me.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: MadMatt] #3020316
03/02/22 09:00 PM
03/02/22 09:00 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by MadMatt
I'm trying to do the swap to the Denso internally regulated 60 amp alternator. My question is what do I do with the old wiring to the regulator? I know the output from the regulator goes to the ignition resistor, but I switched to an MSD 6 years ago, so I don't need it for the ignition. What else does it feed, and do I need to rewire it somewhere? I was thinking of re-purposing the dark green wire from the stock distributor to the VR as the 12 volt sensing wire, has anyone done that? Since I need a 12V ignition switched wire is there any chance the other wire from the VR that runs to the ignition resistor could be used for that? Any help is appreciated, electrical stuff is voodoo to me.

the output of the regulator does NOT go to the ballast resistor. The output of the regulator goes to one of the field terminals on the alternator. The other end of the alternator field terminal as well as the 12v feed TO the regulator and the 12v feed to the ballast resistor are all that is on that circuit. Assuming a later style charging system. You don't say what you are working on, so I assume. You could use this circuit as your 12v sense.

The distributor is not wired to the regulator, or should not be anyway.

You might want someone that knows electricity and mopar electrical systems to sit in on this conversion.

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: MadMatt] #3020365
03/02/22 10:34 PM
03/02/22 10:34 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
year make and model is needed to help wink

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: TJP] #3020370
03/02/22 11:43 PM
03/02/22 11:43 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Do you have the flat style regulator with the triangle shaped plug? Or the square box regulator? Either way the blue wire feeding the ballast will be your key on 12 volt sense wire in the run position. The regulator and it's wiring can be removed.
Doug

Last edited by dvw; 03/02/22 11:49 PM.
Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: TJP] #3020563
03/03/22 06:01 PM
03/03/22 06:01 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Originally Posted by TJP
year make and model is needed to help wink

Sorry, it's a 1970 Dart but it has the later electronic voltage regulator.

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.
Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: Sniper] #3020565
03/03/22 06:06 PM
03/03/22 06:06 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Originally Posted by Sniper

the output of the regulator does NOT go to the ballast resistor. The output of the regulator goes to one of the field terminals on the alternator. The other end of the alternator field terminal as well as the 12v feed TO the regulator and the 12v feed to the ballast resistor are all that is on that circuit. Assuming a later style charging system. You don't say what you are working on, so I assume. You could use this circuit as your 12v sense.

You might want someone that knows electricity and mopar electrical systems to sit in on this conversion.

I wish I knew someone that was good with Mopar electronics that was nearby. All my local friends are Phord guys. The wiring diagram I'm working from shows the dark green wire going from the alternator to the VR and then to the ignition resistor but I don't know if it's an output or not.

70DartA wiring diagram.JPG

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: dvw] #3020566
03/03/22 06:10 PM
03/03/22 06:10 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Originally Posted by dvw
Do you have the flat style regulator with the triangle shaped plug? Or the square box regulator? Either way the blue wire feeding the ballast will be your key on 12 volt sense wire in the run position. The regulator and it's wiring can be removed.
Doug

I have the later flat style with the triangular plug. So, just to be sure I understand you, I can use the blue wire running to my current Mopar style alternator as the 12 volt sense wire for the Denso alternator?

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: MadMatt] #3020585
03/03/22 07:55 PM
03/03/22 07:55 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Google "Denso 1-wire alternator wiring diagram".
Schematics for 3-connector & 4-connector Densos will come up.
Simple as it gets.
I don't recall if you did the ammeter bypass already, or if you're running a voltmeter.
On the racecar, I just fed Alt output to Batt + kill switch (Batt + post on the firewall or starter should work), and sensing came from Ign Run.
(It didn't have any charging system when I got it. FWIW, I ran a digital voltmeter off the + on the kill switch.)

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: topside] #3020838
03/04/22 04:05 PM
03/04/22 04:05 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Originally Posted by topside
Google "Denso 1-wire alternator wiring diagram".
Schematics for 3-connector & 4-connector Densos will come up.
Simple as it gets.
I don't recall if you did the ammeter bypass already, or if you're running a voltmeter.
On the racecar, I just fed Alt output to Batt + kill switch (Batt + post on the firewall or starter should work), and sensing came from Ign Run.
(It didn't have any charging system when I got it. FWIW, I ran a digital voltmeter off the + on the kill switch.)

I Googled Denso 1-wire alternator but accidentally included your name. I got a picture of an overdue hospital bill for a pacemaker. Is that why the lights are so dim in your garage? grin

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: MadMatt] #3020840
03/04/22 04:11 PM
03/04/22 04:11 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere

I wish I knew someone that was good with Mopar electronics that was nearby. All my local friends are Phord guys. The wiring diagram I'm working from shows the dark green wire going from the alternator to the VR and then to the ignition resistor but I don't know if it's an output or not.

You misread the schematic, the wire going from the VR to the ballast is blue, it ties into a bunch of other blue wires that also go to the same terminal on the ballast. The wire going from the other terminal on the VR is green and goes to the alternator. That blue wire to the ballast from the VR is a switched 12v. Since you are running MSD you probably don't have a ballast.

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: Sniper] #3020847
03/04/22 04:52 PM
03/04/22 04:52 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID

You misread the schematic, the wire going from the VR to the ballast is blue, it ties into a bunch of other blue wires that also go to the same terminal on the ballast. The wire going from the other terminal on the VR is green and goes to the alternator. That blue wire to the ballast from the VR is a switched 12v. Since you are running MSD you probably don't have a ballast.

So, if I'm (finally) understanding this correctly, I can take the existing blue wire that connects to my existing alternator and use it as the switched 12V connection for the new Denso alternator with no other mods. Just connect it to the correct terminal. And then I can take the existing green wire which will no longer run to the VR (because I'm removing it) connect that to the 12V sensing connection on the new Denso alternator, clip it off at the VR plug and connect it to a 12v source, such as the starter relay terminal. Does that all make sense?

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: MadMatt] #3020850
03/04/22 05:11 PM
03/04/22 05:11 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Yes it does. Sounds like you should have it sorted out.

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: Sniper] #3020870
03/04/22 06:23 PM
03/04/22 06:23 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Yes it does. Sounds like you should have it sorted out.

Thanks SO much! I really appreciate the help. I hate that I suck at electrical stuff, especially because mechanical always seems a breeze. But thankfully I have Moparts and folks like you!

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: MadMatt] #3020888
03/04/22 07:51 PM
03/04/22 07:51 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Hey, that ain't all ya suck at, Shecky.... laugh2

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: topside] #3020901
03/04/22 08:17 PM
03/04/22 08:17 PM
Nampa, ID
MadMatt Offline OP
super stock
MadMatt  Offline OP
super stock

Nampa, ID
Originally Posted by topside
Hey, that ain't all ya suck at, Shecky.... laugh2

No kidding. My choice of friends leaves a lot to be desired. laugh2

Re: Another Denso alternator upgrade question... [Re: MadMatt] #3020902
03/04/22 08:19 PM
03/04/22 08:19 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
drumhit laugh2