Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by MadMatt
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by MadMatt
I'm trying to do the swap to the Denso internally regulated 60 amp alternator. My question is what do I do with the old wiring to the regulator? I know the output from the regulator goes to the ignition resistor, but I switched to an MSD 6 years ago, so I don't need it for the ignition. What else does it feed, and do I need to rewire it somewhere? I was thinking of re-purposing the dark green wire from the stock distributor to the VR as the 12 volt sensing wire, has anyone done that? Since I need a 12V ignition switched wire is there any chance the other wire from the VR that runs to the ignition resistor could be used for that? Any help is appreciated, electrical stuff is voodoo to me.

the output of the regulator does NOT go to the ballast resistor. The output of the regulator goes to one of the field terminals on the alternator. The other end of the alternator field terminal as well as the 12v feed TO the regulator and the 12v feed to the ballast resistor are all that is on that circuit. Assuming a later style charging system. You don't say what you are working on, so I assume. You could use this circuit as your 12v sense.

The distributor is not wired to the regulator, or should not be anyway.

You might want someone that knows electricity and mopar electrical systems to sit in on this conversion.

I wish I knew someone that was good with Mopar electronics that was nearby. All my local friends are Phord guys. The wiring diagram I'm working from shows the dark green wire going from the alternator to the VR and then to the ignition resistor but I don't know if it's an output or not.

You misread the schematic, the wire going from the VR to the ballast is blue, it ties into a bunch of other blue wires that also go to the same terminal on the ballast. The wire going from the other terminal on the VR is green and goes to the alternator. That blue wire to the ballast from the VR is a switched 12v. Since you are running MSD you probably don't have a ballast.

So, if I'm (finally) understanding this correctly, I can take the existing blue wire that connects to my existing alternator and use it as the switched 12V connection for the new Denso alternator with no other mods. Just connect it to the correct terminal. And then I can take the existing green wire which will no longer run to the VR (because I'm removing it) connect that to the 12V sensing connection on the new Denso alternator, clip it off at the VR plug and connect it to a 12v source, such as the starter relay terminal. Does that all make sense?

Some see the glass as half empty, some see the glass as half full. I just drink straight out of the bottle.