02/20/22 06:43 PM
02/20/22 06:43 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline OP
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline OP
super stock

eastern,Ky
Motor is a 440. Paid a guy to install my motor and transmission as I haven’t had the time to do it myself. It’s a SST kit. He’s done several T-56 swaps but never a Mopar. Got my car back and the starter sound absolutely horrible. The starter only lasted 5 outings and went out. Well I pulled the starter out and looks like the block is too thick to allow the starter to properly set in to the flywheel. There was a shim that came with the kit that fit in the top hole. After some research looks like I found there’s quite a few people who made these swaps and had to grind the block down as some blocks in the starter area are thicker than some. It’s a shame to spend this much money just to grind on the block. I double checked everything and it looks like everything is on the money. I’d just figure the guy who put it together could have said something to me about it. Any advice for me to do something different. I don’t see how I can get out of grinding the block.

653F5DC8-A68F-4DD8-B0F3-1AF0A4F31870.jpeg
Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: 70RT Charger] #3017172
02/20/22 06:50 PM
02/20/22 06:50 PM
Arlington, Texas
B
bobby66 Offline
master
bobby66  Offline
master
B

Arlington, Texas
If the engine/trans centerlines are on the money you'll have to grind it. If they aren't you might get some clearance with offset dowel pins. I had to grind my 440 to get the fuel pump to fit. Get after it. wrench

Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: 70RT Charger] #3017242
02/20/22 11:42 PM
02/20/22 11:42 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

You should not need to grind the block. If the block was the problem the starter would not work no matter what bell housing is used. Simple concept here. The flywheel is fixed off the crankshaft. The bell locates the starter. This is the same with any bell. If your starter is not fitting the block is not the problem. I have heard of the starters not fitting but that was the wiring block on the starter. Lots of minis you just removed the block. The metal dust shield still should be used. I have the kit behind my Hemi. My bets are this. Are the dowels in place? Was the bell housing dialed in properly.

Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: NITROUSN] #3017248
02/21/22 12:38 AM
02/21/22 12:38 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline OP
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline OP
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted by NITROUSN
You should not need to grind the block. If the block was the problem the starter would not work no matter what bell housing is used. Simple concept here. The flywheel is fixed off the crankshaft. The bell locates the starter. This is the same with any bell. If your starter is not fitting the block is not the problem. I have heard of the starters not fitting but that was the wiring block on the starter. Lots of minis you just removed the block. The metal dust shield still should be used. I have the kit behind my Hemi. My bets are this. Are the dowels in place? Was the bell housing dialed in properly.
Dials are in place, everything looks good, I can’t confirm the bell was dialed in properly as I can’t get ahold of the installer. Hopefully tomorrow I’ll get ahold of him. The block was removed form the mini and a relocation kit Was installed. Don’t ever remember having any problems with the 4-speed and factory starter. I’ve read several articles people claiming to have everything dialed in and they still had to grind the block to make the mini work. I mean if the QuickTime was so perfect why do they send a top shim with it? I was reading from the QuickTime installation paper that sometimes after get it dialed you make have to buy offset dials from Lakewood. Maybe this is the problem???

Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: bobby66] #3017249
02/21/22 12:40 AM
02/21/22 12:40 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline OP
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline OP
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted by bobby66
If the engine/trans centerlines are on the money you'll have to grind it. If they aren't you might get some clearance with offset dowel pins. I had to grind my 440 to get the fuel pump to fit. Get after it. wrench
Yeah I just read from the QuickTime installation that sometimes you may have to use an offset dial to get everything dialed in but they claim in most cases it doesn’t happen.

Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: 70RT Charger] #3017308
02/21/22 11:43 AM
02/21/22 11:43 AM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

I mean if the QuickTime was so perfect why do they send a top shim with it?

That is a bushing. The bell you have has no pocket for the starter to fit into. The starter has a larger hole and the bushing locates the starter correctly. All bell housings should have the register dialed in. Your instructions state that in step 3. Every one I have done needed a correction. Once you get readings you can then determine how much of an offset dowel you will need. I use these as they are easily removed and adjustable. Dowels

Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: NITROUSN] #3017427
02/21/22 06:10 PM
02/21/22 06:10 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline OP
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline OP
super stock

eastern,Ky
I mean if the QuickTime was so perfect why do they send a top shim with it?

That is a bushing. The bell you have has no pocket for the starter to fit into. The starter has a larger hole and the bushing locates the starter correctly. All bell housings should have the register dialed in. Your instructions state that in step 3. Every one I have done needed a correction. Once you get readings you can then determine how much of an offset dowel you will need. I use these as they are easily removed and adjustable. Dowels
I just found out my bell housing was not dialed in at all. I called SST and they were nice enough to sell me a gauge plate at half cost because when I bought one of the first T-56 kits there wasn’t any instructions from them about dialing it in but there was instructions from QuickTime at the time covering the dialing in, my installer didn’t read them. I’ve watched several videos and now I understand the process. I don’t think I’ve got to drive it long to hurt anything. Thanks for the advise.

Last edited by 70RT Charger; 02/21/22 06:12 PM.
Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: 70RT Charger] #3017443
02/21/22 07:10 PM
02/21/22 07:10 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

What do you mean by gauge plate? As far as I know all kits have instructions and you must do the bell run out and send them your numbers. Otherwise the warranty is void. Bell run out

Last edited by NITROUSN; 02/21/22 07:11 PM.
Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: NITROUSN] #3017475
02/21/22 08:25 PM
02/21/22 08:25 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline OP
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline OP
super stock

eastern,Ky
What do you mean by gauge plate? As far as I know all kits have instructions and you must do the bell run out and send them your numbers. Otherwise the warranty is void. Bell run out

BECC0C1F-AC12-4F7A-BB44-80EAA0B9402F.jpeg
Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: 70RT Charger] #3017489
02/21/22 08:57 PM
02/21/22 08:57 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline OP
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline OP
super stock

eastern,Ky
Originally Posted by 70RT Charger
Like I said. I bought one of the very first Magnum kits offered. I have all of the original paper work, recommended videos and I’m pretty for sure there was no such thing as sending anybody any numbers for bell run out for warranty. Im thinking it was only after the matter of fact that they applied the bell run out numbers to the warranty but it doesn’t matter. SST has been really good to me and helpful. The guy I spoke to at SST even brought that to my attention, that’s why he gave me a big discount on the index plate. QuickTime did have instructions like I mentioned but my installer didn’t read them. I just want to get it fixed correctly, my warranty is up anyways lol.

Last edited by 70RT Charger; 02/21/22 09:07 PM.
Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: 70RT Charger] #3017511
02/21/22 09:32 PM
02/21/22 09:32 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

I see now what it does. If you do not have it with that style transmission and the bell it requires you can not dial it in.

Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: 70RT Charger] #3017513
02/21/22 09:34 PM
02/21/22 09:34 PM
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Like I said. I bought one of the very first Magnum kits offered. I have all of the original paper work, recommended videos and I’m pretty for sure there was no such thing as sending anybody any numbers for bell run out for warranty. Im thinking it was only after the matter of fact that they applied the bell run out numbers to the warranty but it doesn’t matter. SST has been really good to me and helpful. The guy I spoke to at SST even brought that to my attention, that’s why he gave me a big discount on the index plate. QuickTime did have instructions like I mentioned but my installer didn’t read them. I just want to get it fixed correctly, my warranty is up anyways lol.

I hear what you are saying. The shop that you paid should of known that.

Re: T-56 Magnum Mini-Starter Issues With QuickTime bell housing [Re: NITROUSN] #3017527
02/21/22 10:00 PM
02/21/22 10:00 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline OP
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline OP
super stock

eastern,Ky

I hear what you are saying. The shop that you paid should of known that.
I’ll agree!