10/14/21 05:16 PM
10/14/21 05:16 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

Now that’s a great ending. I’ll stick up for 440source because I’ve seen some of the things they have done for friends over the years with different issues. They went above and beyond with service in some of these cases. For me personally I bought a stroker assembly many many years ago when I couldn’t afford high dollar parts and ran 8.60’s@155mph in my Daytona till the block finally cracked. That assembly was sold and is to this day still seeing street duty. Their valve covers are going on my B1 engine and the guy that just bought my green duster was very satisfied with their aluminum American made oil pan I gave him as an extra. I also bought two sets of their Stealth heads to port and sell again with zero issues. Zero issues with any of the sales but I try to make phone calls when ordering. I hate texting and and online sales when it’s possible to talk to someone. I wise we could go back to the old ways of doing business.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: pittsburghracer] #2974411
10/14/21 07:11 PM
10/14/21 07:11 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Now that’s a great ending. I’ll stick up for 440source because I’ve seen some of the things they have done for friends over the years with different issues. They went above and beyond with service in some of these cases. For me personally, I bought a stroker assembly many many years ago when I couldn’t afford high dollar parts and ran 8.60’s@155mph in my Daytona till the block finally cracked. That assembly was sold and is to this day still seeing street duty. Their valve covers are going on my B1 engine and the guy that just bought my green duster was very satisfied with their aluminum American-made oil pan I gave him as an extra. I also bought two sets of their Stealth heads to port and sell again with zero issues. Zero issues with any of the sales but I try to make phone calls when ordering. I hate texting and and online sales when it’s possible to talk to someone. I wish we could go back to the old ways of doing business.

One place I deal with American Target has a website to show what they sell, but to buy you have to call. And when you do call an old guy or lady picks up the phone says the name of the company and takes your order.
No push this or that for English or waiting on hold. Super nice guy and stuff are shipped the next day and in hand in 3-5 days ground cheap.
It is like calling 1970 all over again. I gave their # to a friend and he said I called. Told me wow it was like a flash-back to the mid-1970s with how different it was. There is also a Mopar Supplier that works the same way I have been buying from since Hemmings was paper the same way.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: Hugh Jorgan] #2974442
10/14/21 09:24 PM
10/14/21 09:24 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
Originally Posted by TJP
And FYI: I come here to relax as I enjoy trying to help others with technical problems and occasionally give my opinions. Not to aggravate or condemn others for their suggestions/opinions /thoughts

You sir are a liar.

Remember a few months back talking crap to me because of a question I asked of someone else? Something that might have struck a chord in you?

I sure do. twocents

I just searched your postings back to August on subjects I may have commented on but couldn't find what your referring to ?
and I don't recall that, can you be a bit more specific ? if an apology is in order I'll be more than happy to do so wink

Last edited by TJP; 10/14/21 09:43 PM.
Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2974607
10/15/21 11:10 AM
10/15/21 11:10 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Yes I can do that in less than 30 seconds. It's called a smart phone.....

Really, some people like me have to drive 4.5 miles for signal that will send data, and some of us are still on copper dial up/dsl.

Thank you for explaining that to some? beer

Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: TJP] #2974621
10/15/21 11:56 AM
10/15/21 11:56 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
a good ending is always a happy event ! up
beer

Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: moparx] #2974658
10/15/21 02:21 PM
10/15/21 02:21 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
^^^ Happy finish ?

Agree on the "old way of doing business".
I love it when a vendor actually answers the phone, and I'm talking to someone who knows the product, application, and can speak technically.
I don't necessarily need the cheapest price, I need the right stuff.
Sometimes I visit my local engine guru - sharp guy, builds very good stuff - just for a conversation and to bat tech back & forth.
We've done biz back & forth, so we get along quite well.
I've run 440Source stuff, no problems, but I typically never just do bolt-ons; nearly everything needs a bit of attention, wherever it comes from.

Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: topside] #2974685
10/15/21 03:15 PM
10/15/21 03:15 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Let me tell you what happened today and hopefully it will serve as a customer service lesson for small businesses.

I got a frantic call before opening hours from a new customer (referred by Motorola - a good long term customer). They had ordered 30 cables which we delivered a month ago. They went to install them today and found they had the wrong connectors at the end. A municipality shut down a tunnel at great expense and inconvenience for them to finish the install over the weekend. Those cables take a few days to make. They are in big trouble and it looks like I might have screwed up.

I went over the email chain and found out that while the original request was for the right connector, when my proposal was sent to their technical lead for review and approval, he told the ops manager (the original requestor) and me to change the connector type to the wrong kind. I quoted the changed connector type, they ordered it, we built it and shipped it. So, as it turns out, not my fault at all.

I came up with a solution that involves 60 bulkhead connectors and 60 short cables that in combination would provide the end-to-end solution they need along with the original cables. I am shipping them overnight Saturday delivery from 2 locations.

My cost including shipping is around $650. My profit margin on the first sale was around $1200. The customer has no budget left to pay for the extra cables and connectors and the freight. I agreed to eat the $650. Here's why:

The Ops manager (the one who is selecting vendors on future products) will go from bonehead to hero. He will have saved the install and at no extra cost. He will seem like a silver-tongued wizard that can force vendors to do magic to solve problems. The alternative is that he will look like a guy who didn't manage his project, vendors, or installers properly. I saved his butt. BIG TIME. Now he knows that I have his back, period. He's not going to buy his stuff from anyone else going forward (he switched to us for quality, not price). I took what would have been a one-time $1,200 profit and for $650 turned it into a long-term customer than is going to put project after project in our hands. If someone was willing to sell me a great customer out of the blue for $650 I would pay that all day long. So, why not do it through customer service? Not only that, but I skipped a pre-paid tee time this morning to deal with this (OK, there goes an other $45).

So, $19 or $1,900 or $19,000 the goal here is to keep a *good* customer, or to turn a so-so customer into a good customer. Long term consistent revenue is what you want. 440source seems to get this, even if their communication style could use some polish. For the amount they sell, the small unit-price, and the platform (ebay), they're probably doing the best anyone could. Have a great weekend, everyone. I am taking my 10 year old to get her hair dyed pink, and then will have to deal with my ex-wife when she sees it.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: calmopar] #2974783
10/15/21 09:40 PM
10/15/21 09:40 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by calmopar
Let me tell you what happened today and hopefully it will serve as a customer service lesson for small businesses.

I got a frantic call before opening hours from a new customer (referred by Motorola - a good long term customer). They had ordered 30 cables which we delivered a month ago. They went to install them today and found they had the wrong connectors at the end. A municipality shut down a tunnel at great expense and inconvenience for them to finish the install over the weekend. Those cables take a few days to make. They are in big trouble and it looks like I might have screwed up.

I went over the email chain and found out that while the original request was for the right connector, when my proposal was sent to their technical lead for review and approval, he told the ops manager (the original requestor) and me to change the connector type to the wrong kind. I quoted the changed connector type, they ordered it, we built it and shipped it. So, as it turns out, not my fault at all.

I came up with a solution that involves 60 bulkhead connectors and 60 short cables that in combination would provide the end-to-end solution they need along with the original cables. I am shipping them overnight Saturday delivery from 2 locations.

My cost including shipping is around $650. My profit margin on the first sale was around $1200. The customer has no budget left to pay for the extra cables and connectors and the freight. I agreed to eat the $650. Here's why:

The Ops manager (the one who is selecting vendors on future products) will go from bonehead to hero. He will have saved the install and at no extra cost. He will seem like a silver-tongued wizard that can force vendors to do magic to solve problems. The alternative is that he will look like a guy who didn't manage his project, vendors, or installers properly. I saved his butt. BIG TIME. Now he knows that I have his back, period. He's not going to buy his stuff from anyone else going forward (he switched to us for quality, not price). I took what would have been a one-time $1,200 profit and for $650 turned it into a long-term customer than is going to put project after project in our hands. If someone was willing to sell me a great customer out of the blue for $650 I would pay that all day long. So, why not do it through customer service? Not only that, but I skipped a pre-paid tee time this morning to deal with this (OK, there goes an other $45).

So, $19 or $1,900 or $19,000 the goal here is to keep a *good* customer, or to turn a so-so customer into a good customer. Long term consistent revenue is what you want. 440source seems to get this, even if their communication style could use some polish. For the amount they sell, the small unit-price, and the platform (ebay), they're probably doing the best anyone could. Have a great weekend, everyone. I am taking my 10 year old to get her hair dyed pink, and then will have to deal with my ex-wife when she sees it.

Congrats to you for passing Business 101 A smile And I'd love to be nearby when you ex sees the hair. VIDEO ??? LOL
beer

Re: 440 Source sucks [Re: TJP] #2974931
10/16/21 11:45 AM
10/16/21 11:45 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
When Brandon was still operating out of his garage and a bunch of sea cans, he came out at 8:30 PM on New Year's Eve to pick me up on the side of the road because his yard wasn't big enough to get my semi into so I could pick up my stroker kit.

I had made arrangements to pick it up but got held up getting unloaded in LA. He said just call when you get to the exit and I'll come get you.

Given the size of the company now, that couldn't happen but it impressed me at the time.

Kevin

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5