Moparts

440 Source doesn't suck, they took care of me ((UPDATE))

Posted By: TX9H6E4CUDA

440 Source doesn't suck, they took care of me ((UPDATE)) - 10/08/21 09:54 PM

They got in touch with me and fixed the problem.
Posted By: dOc !

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/08/21 10:22 PM

eBay doesn’t process a claim of SNAD anymore ?

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/08/21 11:07 PM

Not if the seller marks that they are not accepting returns. I thought they would of taken care of this but I had to go to PayPal to get something done.
Posted By: DaveRS23

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/08/21 11:28 PM

I see a lot of this 'one strike and you're out' kind of post here lately. I understand folk's frustration with this kind of stuff. But this is another case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not considering 440 Source or any other competitive supplier for future purchases does the buyer far more damage than it does the offending supplier. But if it makes you feel good, go ahead. And trying to rally others to that position will likely fall on deaf ears, too. Which is the only reason to post a bad experience.

We recently had a less than stellar experience with 440 Source, too. But to cut them off would cause us more problems than them. And would fix nothing.

Good luck to the OP with his other suppliers. If he takes this tact with all of them, he will run out of suppliers because no one is perfect. Especially today.
Posted By: jughed

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 12:04 AM

Sorry about your situation. Sure it happens quite a lot because ebay totally sucks when it comes to returns...or order cancellations.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I recently had issue with ebay seller "motorcitymusclecar"... I ordered a complete emergency brake cable kit from them. It wasn't 5 minutes later i realized that i was needing other parts that they offer as well and i wanted to cancel the order and reorder to have all items shipped at once. They refused to cancel the order 5 minutes later because "the order has been processed and shipped"...got that actual response from them. The greedy idiots lost about another $150 in sales, and that will be the last order they receive from me...not that it would hurt their business any.

Buy parts through Amazon. No questions asked on returns. That has happened only once for me, and had no problems getting it done.
Posted By: Mr PotatoHead

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 12:14 AM

Sorry for you hastle with ebay and source, I hope its a bit of a misunderstanding and can be resolved properly. I cant see source jacking folks on purpose like that but the world is in a odd spot currently.

Ebay has really went down hill, I think its because of all the fraud in general or they just got greedy with the new managed payment system.

Ebay has fallen back to like it was a good bit ago where they collect there money instantly and then you fight like heck for any recourse to a bad deal.

Ive bought 5 things in the last month only had two completed, its like people are now using others money to float on then at some point you get your refund as they see fit and by how much.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 12:15 AM

Why on earth would you buy through Ebay when you know who the actual source is ?!?!? You've just added an unnecessary link in the chain.
Posted By: trw1982

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 12:36 AM

my dad bought some mower blades on ebay. the seller sent his blades to someone else and he got the other guy's blades. returned them and lost 26 %. ebay kept the shipping and the tax. seller told dad to figure out the difference and he sent dad a check for the difference. good seller. this time.
Posted By: TJP

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 12:52 AM

The old saying comes to mind, 1 po'd customer will cost you 100 up and over 20.00. Smart move whistling stirthepot spank twocents
Posted By: Dcuda69

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stanton
Why on earth would you buy through Ebay when you know who the actual source is ?!?!? You've just added an unnecessary link in the chain.

This was my immediate thought when I read the initial post. Why in the hell wouldn't you buy right from the seller and leave ebay out of it?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dcuda69

This was my immediate thought when I read the initial post. Why in the hell wouldn't you buy right from the seller and leave ebay out of it?
Maybe he was trying to save some money, pennies probably shruggy

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Nope not one bit was I trying to be cheap. I wanted to explore what options are out there for the heater fittings and saw these brass ones. I ordered them and after the order I noticed it was 440source. I was not trying to be a penny pincher, I was wanting brass ones and paid more then the steel ones.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
I see a lot of this 'one strike and you're out' kind of post here lately. I understand folk's frustration with this kind of stuff. But this is another case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not considering 440 Source or any other competitive supplier for future purchases does the buyer far more damage than it does the offending supplier. But if it makes you feel good, go ahead. And trying to rally others to that position will likely fall on deaf ears, too. Which is the only reason to post a bad experience.

We recently had a less than stellar experience with 440 Source, too. But to cut them off would cause us more problems than them. And would fix nothing.

Good luck to the OP with his other suppliers. If he takes this tact with all of them, he will run out of suppliers because no one is perfect. Especially today.

I am the most laid back customer on the planet. If you provide a service or product and have half good customer service skills, I am a fantastic customer to have with zero complaints. I bought a radiator and found one of the brackets bent and it was missing the petcock. I just fixed the bracket. I called the company and nicely asked if they would send me a petcock. They did and that in my mind was an awesome experience.

You send me the wrong product, ignore my messages about the wrong product ,d do nothing about getting the correct product to the customer, then make it so it's not returnable...you don't deserve to be in business.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 02:38 PM

This is a rapidly changing retail environment. And not for the better in many cases.

We have been in business for nearly 40 years and find that we must frequently adjust our attitude on many things. Not happy about that. But that doesn't mean that anything goes, either. It's just that how much money are we willing to risk and how much more complicated are we willing to make our buying? We have had issues with most of our largest suppliers at one time or another and not all were resolved to our satisfaction. But we have to weigh the big picture. Some suppliers like RockAuto, 440 Source, Ebay, etc are not replaceable in our business and personal endeavors. Sometimes we just have to hold our nose and push ahead. We are particularly hesitant to use Ebay. They just suck. But to totally eliminate them would not be wise. We just shop hard to limit how much business we do with them and if it is a close call, they don't get the sale.

Maybe these decisions can be different in a hobby situation than a business situation. Maybe if you don't need a steady stream of parts, you can occasionally eliminate a major supplier. Maybe.
Posted By: moparmarks

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 02:49 PM

To send the wrong part and then hide behind a "no return policy" is total BS. Not only should they send the correct part but they should also pay the return shipping on the wrong part.
That is how GOOD business is done. I don't care who they are.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 03:54 PM

Did you phone 440source?

I'd try calling and speaking with someone. No matter the size of an outfit, email communication can be hit or miss.

Ebay watches out for Ebay...

Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 04:43 PM

Call 775-883-2590 and ask to talk to Brandon and ask him about what he will do to fix your issues scope twocents

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/09/21 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by moparmarks
To send the wrong part and then hide behind a "no return policy" is total BS. Not only should they send the correct part but they should also pay the return shipping on the wrong part.

I do not disagree with you at all. And I read a good number of posts on here from guys that feel the same way that you do. There are threads about Jegs, Summit, UPS, RockAuto, FedEx, Ebay, etc. Virtually every major supplier/shipper has had some mud thrown their way on this board. And much of it may have been rightly deserved.

I just wish you guys luck discontinuing use of major suppliers over a single $20 issue. And as mentioned above, there are additional avenues to try. If $20 (or the principle of the matter) is more important than your time to chase it.
Posted By: SomeCarGuy

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 11:36 AM

I do not disagree with you at all. And I read a good number of posts on here from guys that feel the same way that you do. There are threads about Jegs, Summit, UPS, RockAuto, FedEx, Ebay, etc. Virtually every major supplier/shipper has had some mud thrown their way on this board. And much of it may have been rightly deserved.

I just wish you guys luck discontinuing use of major suppliers over a single $20 issue. And as mentioned above, there are additional avenues to try. If $20 (or the principle of the matter) is more important than your time to chase it.

Why don’t you donate 20 bucks to 440 Source? Easy to blow off this guy getting screwed like a tied goat when you don’t have skin in the game. This is business, not a charity. Do you shake down your customers and give them this line about needing you?
Posted By: carnut68

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 11:47 AM

Exactly.
Posted By: justinp61

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by carnut68
Exactly.

Read his post above, it explains how it happened.

I agree on calling them to see if they will exchange the parts, hopefully they'll take care of it.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 01:51 PM

I hate seeing only one side of the story especially with a company I have known to go above and beyond at times. Personally if it was a 20.00 fitting it would be in my fitting box and probably used on another project. If you would see the box of spare nuts, bolts, and fittings I keep in my trailer just in case you would think I’m nuts. But it’s helped myself and friends keep racing many a race.
Posted By: BSB67

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I hate seeing only one side of the story especially with a company I have known to go above and beyond at times. Personally if it was a 20.00 fitting it would be in my fitting box and probably used on another project. If you would see the box of spare nuts, bolts, and fittings I keep in my trailer just in case you would think I’m nuts. But it’s helped myself and friends keep racing many a race.

Same.

Think about where our Mopar hobby would be without them.

There are some consequences for how easy and convient our hobby has become. But we are a cake and eat it too society. Just need to decide how you choose to manage through it.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy

Why don’t you donate 20 bucks to 440 Source? Easy to blow off this guy getting screwed like a tied goat when you don’t have skin in the game. This is business, not a charity. Do you shake down your customers and give them this line about needing you?

That is a jcc kind of response. It makes no sense because it misses the central point.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 03:47 PM

... this is another case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. Not considering 440 Source *or any other competitive supplier* for future purchases does the buyer far more damage than it does the offending supplier. But if it makes you feel good, go ahead. And trying to rally others to that position will likely fall on deaf ears, too. Which is the only reason to post a bad experience.

Did you tell 440 Source about your "less than stellar" experience? .. I wonder what their reaction was..
The OP didn't say he will stop buying from "any other competitive supplier".. ? That's exactly his point - he will go elsewhere.

It makes sense to engage the vendor, especially if the mistake is the first time. What I notice is that the problem was caused entirely by 440 Source. *They* sent *him* the wrong part. He gave them a chance to correct the mistake. They blocked the attempt. How is that even close to being something a customer would accept and say "OK, I'll just throw that money away and order again because I need them more than they need me", or a business owner thinks "I got my customer's money, but my mistake is his problem now, he needs me more than I need him."

- As a business operator, would you not care what quality of service you or your employees provide your customers? Would you like to hear your customers make excuses for you?
- As a customer, are you happy to see a business take your money, make a mistake, and care nothing for making it right, offer no correction? Tell you what, please PayPal me $20 and I'll send you nothing.
- Why would I even entertain buying from a vendor who doesn't accept returns? What does that say about their ability to offer a service they consider reliable?

.. have Millennials finally taken over the entire industry and honestly find it too stressful and time-consuming to operate a business with any degree of service? LOL

If there is no pushback on poor customer service, it will continue.
Cheers,
- Art

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 05:32 PM

Again, someone who misses the central point of my post which is that discontinuing doing business with a major supplier over a single $20 issue is a short road to no suppliers at all. I did not suggest that the OP do nothing and eat the problem. Just the opposite. Contact 440 Source DIRECTLY and see how that works out. Besides, deciding to never do business with them again and posting on here before doing that could be jumping the gun anyway.

"$19.27 That was the amount they turned me away from me ever purchasing another thing from them."
Posted By: dOc !

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by TX9H6E4CUDA
Not if the seller marks that they are not accepting returns. I thought they would of taken care of this but I had to go to PayPal to get something done.

So tX .....if the seller sends you a set of main bearings instead of the rod bearings you ordered......... eBay wont step in ?

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/10/21 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by dOc 3.0 !

So tX .....if the seller sends you a set of main bearings instead of the rod bearings you ordered......... eBay wont step in ?

You don't have to go to paypal to correct, call the vendor direct. Simple

Whatever setting is in the ebay system, Ebay MUST adhere to those decisions. Ebay watches out for ebay, same as paypal.

If you call direct and they push you off, then you might have exhausted your available remedies. Then go to paypal. Same as why buy through ebay if you KNEW who the vendor was before buying. Just go direct, plus it's probably better for the vendor as well in the form of margins on a sale. Plus, if you use a credit card to pay, you have an additional level of protection.

Hope you get it straightened out.

Posted By: migsBIG

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 03:01 AM

Bummer you had bad luck with them. I miss the days when Branden owned and operated the company. Nice guy and even bought some products. Not a big deal, but it would have been better if they had reached out to you and explained it. Hope you get your fittings.
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge

Nope not one bit was I trying to be cheap. I wanted to explore what options are out there for the heater fittings and saw these brass ones. I ordered them and after the order I noticed it was 440source. I was not trying to be a penny pincher, I was wanting brass ones and paid more then the steel ones.

it doesn't matter if you were trying to be cheap or not. they sent the wrong part and should make it right. they pull that crap with me i wouldn't do business with them again either. it would be stupid to. don't know how some can justify that.. thats just crazy.. places doing this crap need to be called out...
Posted By: GY3

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 11:13 AM

I've posted my experience with 440Source here before.

Despite me having their heads, water pump, housing, pulley, etc., having great success with their parts and even defending them regularly, I had one of their balancers come apart. After ignoring my e-mails, I posted about it on here and they played the blame game. Former employee got the e-mail, blah, blah. I'm done with them as well.

You'd think that someone that has their parts on a car that torture tests them like I do and is willing to give them positive feedback would be treated a little better.

F 440Source.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by migsBIG
I miss the days when Branden owned and operated the company. Nice guy and even bought some products..

Some people on this forum really disliked Brandon.
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by abodyjoe

it doesn't matter if you were trying to be cheap or not. they sent the wrong part and should make it right. they pull that crap with me i wouldn't do business with them again either. it would be stupid to. don't know how some can justify that.. thats just crazy.. places doing this crap need to be called out...

EXACTLY.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted by abodyjoe

EXACTLY.

We still didn’t see the ad. Before I burn a vendor to the ground I like to see both sides of the story.
Posted By: moparx

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by BSB67
Originally Posted by migsBIG
I miss the days when Branden owned and operated the company. Nice guy and even bought some products..

Some people on this forum really disliked Brandon.

who owns them now ?
beer
Posted By: 440sourcedotcom

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 05:35 PM

$19.27

That was the amount they turned me away from me ever purchasing another thing from them. I purchased some brass heater hose fittings off eBay from them. They had the correct size description and application listed in the description. I purchased them on Sept 20 using PayPal and waited for them to arrive.

Well when they arrived and I had received the wrong sized ones. No big deal I started a return, explained what was wrong in the return and waited. No response

Contacted eBay and they asked me to send them a message through eBay to see if they would respond to that. I sent a nice message explaining what was wrong and just wanted it corrected...nothing, no response

I talked to eBay and they just informed me that 440source is no longer accepting returns. There is nothing much they can do

I now have started a claim with PayPal.

Yes I understand it's not a large amount but I just wanted the correct part. The pieces are unused and I wanted to send them back for the correct ones.....nope. It's sad to see a company in a nitch markets to not provide good customer service, provide the correct part, or have a return policy when they send you the incorrect part.

We responded to your message on ebay within 1 day with the following exact text (cut and pasted from our ebay message:)

"Hi Jim, yes we sell hundreds of sets of those and don't normally have any problems with the threads. Can you send a clear picture of the threads? We can compare your set to what we have on the shelf and see if there is some kind of defect. Also, can you chase the threads in a die to clean them up?"

You did not send any pictures of what you were describing, so that we could get an idea of what was going on. You did not respond at all to the idea of possibly chasing the threads to clean them up, a solution which would likely solve the issue in less than 2 minutes.

Instead, we received the following message from you:

"OK 440 source, U haven't answered so I will have to stop payment on the items & you can then tell me how to return them to you. They look good but DO NOT HAVE CUT THREADS."

Then you filed a dispute with Paypal.

If you would have shown us what you were talking about, and the item was proven to be defective in some way, we would have sent a replacement right away at no cost to you.

Likely paypal will allow you to keep the item and your payment for it. This happens often on ebay and forces the prices higher for everyone else.

Please feel free to use other suppliers for your Mopar needs in the future.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 08:27 PM

Ohhhhhh boy. Another side to the story.
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by 440sourcedotcom

We responded to your message on ebay within 1 day with the following exact text (cut and pasted from our ebay message:)

"Hi Jim, yes we sell hundreds of sets of those and don't normally have any problems with the threads. Can you send a clear picture of the threads? We can compare your set to what we have on the shelf and see if there is some kind of defect. Also, can you chase the threads in a die to clean them up?"

You did not send any pictures of what you were describing, so that we could get an idea of what was going on. You did not respond at all to the idea of possibly chasing the threads to clean them up, a solution which would likely solve the issue in less than 2 minutes.

"OK 440 source, U haven't answered so I will have to stop payment on the items & you can then tell me how to return them to you. They look good but DO NOT HAVE CUT THREADS."

If you would have shown us what you were talking about, and the item was proven to be defective in some way, we would have sent a replacement right away at no cost to you.

Likely paypal will allow you to keep the item and your payment for it. This happens often on ebay and forces the prices higher for everyone else.

Thanks for chiming in,
This appears to be very reasonable customer service. It can take a little effort on both ends. Hope the OP can work with you.
- Art

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 08:44 PM

The thing with ebay as well is where exactly did that reply go.

I know the email that is in my ebay account I never check as I don't have access.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/11/21 10:52 PM

Some would call the OP's post and actions an OVERREACTION since the vendor seems quite ready to address the issue. If they were given the chance.

And all over $19.27. runaway

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 01:10 AM

The only comment I will make is:
The request to send pictures is a PITA for some of us. I have use a camera, take several pic's as I'm not a photographer, then download the pic's, review them, pic out the best and or edit them, then do an email and attach the pic's. Translation: A time consuming royal PITA for a 20.00 purchase.
On the other hand I also understand 440's side and reasons for the request. but for a 20.00 purchase ?
I don't think it was worth either party's time.

Seller, refund the $$ or send another part.
Buyer, accept the refund and go elsewhere or take a partial refund. If you in fact gave them 24 hours or less to respond, sham eon you twocents
Posted By: Sniper

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 02:45 AM

They might want the pics for QC purposes. Whomever is making those parts might have messed it up. Not really all that hard to take pics in all seriousness.
Posted By: Lee446

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:24 AM

Reading the Sources reply, I was doing A-OK until the last sentence. That kind of unprofessional, punkass remark tells me everything I need to know about the current management of 440 source! I have bought a fair amount of parts from them, but more importantly, I have referred several friends to them for kits I used to build them BB strokers. I have a 512 on the stand as we speak that came from them. While there was obviously some miscommunication on BOTH sides here, there was absolutely NO EXCUSE WHATSOEVER for them to tell the buyer to take his business elsewhere! I will never tolerate that kind of attitude and I can tell you I have been wanting to try out Molnar or Ohio Crank and because of this one cheapshot last sentence, 440 Source will get no more of my business, they have plenty of competition out there! I know they won't miss out on much from the 3-4 strokers that I do a year, but that one parting shot from them was it for me. And No, I do not know the OP.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:40 AM

Hey Lee446, DID YOU ACTUALLY READ TX9H6E4CUDA"S POST???

That PUNK ASS REMARK was in direct response to what the OP said. And I quote: "$19.27

That was the amount they turned me away from me ever purchasing another thing from them
"

To which 440source replied: "Please feel free to use other suppliers for your Mopar needs in the future."

Not understanding how that is 'punk ass'

And for those who feel sending pics is SO hard, c'mon. My 77 yrs old mother takes and sends pics all the time.

I swear some people just want to [censored].
Posted By: abodyjoe

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by TJP
The request to send pictures is a PITA for some of us. I have use a camera, take several pic's as I'm not a photographer, then download the pic's, review them, pic out the best and or edit them, then do an email and attach the pic's. Translation: A time consuming royal PITA for a 20.00 purchase.

i don't know.. i snap a pic and email it, takes about 30 seconds with my phone.. even if i have to use a digital camera its easily done in under 5 minutes.

That kind of unprofessional, punkass remark tells me everything I need to know about the current management of 440 source!

not sure its "punkass" but it is uncalled for and kinda unprofessional in my opinion.. they can think that stuff but never say it on a public forum in my opinion.. its not like there aren't other options out there for alumn heads.. only thing 440 source has going for them is that they resemble stock style heads and they are cheap. for power there are better choices out of the box.. hell engine masters just did a show comparing them..lol
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 10:47 AM

[quote=Satilite73]

Hey Lee446, DID YOU ACTUALLY READ TX9H6E4CUDA"S POST???

That PUNK ASS REMARK was in direct response to what the OP said. And I quote: "$19.27

That was the amount they turned me away from me ever purchasing another thing from them
"

To which 440source replied: "Please feel free to use other suppliers for your Mopar needs in the future."

Not understanding how that is 'punk ass'

And for those who feel sending pics is SO hard, c'mon. My 77 yrs old mother takes and sends pics all the time.

I swear some people just want to [censored]. [/quote
Well some of us have old phones given to me when my antalog was no longer going to work. Said it was 65 bucks free and hip

Does not hold much and have to Pull them out and into a disk.
My laptop is over 10 years old and is full takes time to boot and freezers.
So I can take pics, wait on.thr laptop to boot. Het pics from phone out into laptop and into media. Then upload.
The laptop works find just slow and if pushed locks up.
But has helped me manage a web site like this one but for guns ammo and hunting fishing too.
I keep stuff till it is done
So I do see that some are not able to post clear clean quality pics and may take them some time
Sometimes you have to take the long way home but get there.
I also but a,set of I take nipples and was sent wrong one. I Emailed and was told send back . I said no ij am keeping tgem as be nice to add to my like of go.ti stuff. We all have some.
If I do not need them someone I know will.
My biggest deal was I wanted the 2nd shipment right. As 2 wrongs do not make a write. But they can make a plane.
Second set was what I needed and came fast
I ended up using the set of nipples 2 week later on a buddy's car.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 11:03 AM

Ohhhhhh boy. Another side to the story.

And it seems there is even more to the story. The OP stated he was sent "the wrong part" but his communications with 440 Source is regarding a quality issue.
Posted By: DusterKid

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 11:31 AM

Seems there's some mixed stories going on here. OP posted got wrong part and tried to contact, but got no response. 440source says they responded and from the email sounds like a quality issue, not necessarily wrong part. I'm pretty confident I can come to the actual issue here. I've used 440 source multiple times in the past and will continue to do so in the future.
Posted By: calmopar

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 01:59 PM

My focus in my business is on 1) lowering customer acquisition cost, 2) increasing the number of customers, and 3) maximizing the long-term value of a customer.

If a customer calls or writes complaining about a $19 part, unless it's something I can help with over the phone VERY easily (try switching the A and B plugs, etc), I will ship them a replacement right away and depending on whether or not I wanted to look at the item they originally got I might send them a pre-paid USPS label to get it back to me. I am not going to ask them to try and fix the $19 part if it came out of manufacturing and QA with a problem.

Handling something like this with great customer service is going to maximize the long-term value of that customer. Consumers have a higher confidence in companies that quickly resolve issues to their satisfaction on a problem order than they do with companies that have never had a problem shipment. Being cheap, or just demanding to be right over a $19 issue, I guarantee you are lowering if not immediately ending the long-term value of that customer. If your acquisition cost is more than your profit-to-date for all order to that person, congratulations, you are upside down...over $19.

So, for me, it's not a question of right and wrong, it's a question of keeping the cash coming in, and taking a loss now and then in order to keep the customer loyal.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper
They might want the pics for QC purposes. Whomever is making those parts might have messed it up. Not really all that hard to take pics in all seriousness.

I'll repeat,

My shop rate is more than 20.00 for time required to do the above. In addition, 440's cost is likely more as well.

please re read the entire post especially the last sentence or two beer

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by calmopar
My focus in my business is on 1) lowering customer acquisition cost, 2) increasing the number of customers, and 3) maximizing the long-term value of a customer.

If a customer calls or writes complaining about a $19 part, unless it's something I can help with over the phone VERY easily (try switching the A and B plugs, etc), I will ship them a replacement right away and depending on whether or not I wanted to look at the item they originally got I might send them a pre-paid USPS label to get it back to me. I am not going to ask them to try and fix the $19 part if it came out of manufacturing and QA with a problem.

Handling something like this with great customer service is going to maximize the long-term value of that customer. Consumers have a higher confidence in companies that quickly resolve issues to their satisfaction on a problem order than they do with companies that have never had a problem shipment. Being cheap, or just demanding to be right over a $19 issue, I guarantee you are lowering if not immediately ending the long-term value of that customer. If your acquisition cost is more than your profit-to-date for all order to that person, congratulations, you are upside down...over $19.

So, for me, it's not a question of right and wrong, it's a question of keeping the cash coming in, and taking a loss now and then in order to keep the customer loyal.

| iagree And you said it beautifully IMO beer

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

I'll repeat,

My shop rate is more than 20.00 for time required to do the above. In addition, 440's cost is likely more as well.

I go on a lot of different websites and the only place I struggle to posts pictures is Moparts and Moparts only. My 70 year old sister can even email and message pictures.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Satilite73

And I'll bet your 77 YO grandmother has the time to do so. Not all of us have the snap a pic and send it phone twocents

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:09 PM

My 77 yrs old mother takes and sends pics all the time.

TMI

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

I'll repeat,

I read your entire post the first time.

If taking a decent picture and emailing it off exceeds your abilities I call BS. You post here, I know you know how to do it. If $20 exceeds your rate then you are wasting a lot of money sitting around here, heck you already wasted more than $20 just commenting in this thread.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

And I'll bet your 77 YO grandmother has the time to do so. Not all of us have the snap a pic and send it phone twocents

Ya I guess 30 seconds out of your day is asking for to much. Lmao 😂
It’s easier to write a post crying about 20.00.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 11:18 PM

My 77 yrs old mother takes and sends pics all the time.

TMI

The brain dead of this site missed the joke. I got it....

Attached picture 1 Pitt 1.jpg
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/12/21 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

SOMEBODY gets it.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 05:52 AM

$19.27

That was the amount they turned me away from me ever purchasing another thing from them. I purchased some brass heater hose fittings off eBay from them. They had the correct size description and application listed in the description. I purchased them on Sept 20 using PayPal and waited for them to arrive.

Well when they arrived and I had received the wrong sized ones. No big deal I started a return, explained what was wrong in the return and waited. No response

Contacted eBay and they asked me to send them a message through eBay to see if they would respond to that. I sent a nice message explaining what was wrong and just wanted it corrected...nothing, no response

I talked to eBay and they just informed me that 440source is no longer accepting returns. There is nothing much they can do

I now have started a claim with PayPal.

Yes I understand it's not a large amount but I just wanted the correct part. The pieces are unused and I wanted to send them back for the correct ones.....nope. It's sad to see a company in a nitch markets to not provide good customer service, provide the correct part, or have a return policy when they send you the incorrect part.

Ahhhhh fantastic response, unfortunately there are some issues.....

1. My name isn't Jim, my name is Garret.... That should help you out

2. Here is my exact message, I sent you. The return request was not that good of a description, but got the problem across. The second message was through direct message. The second one had photos attached with the problem. Here is my exact second message to your company:

"Good evening, I am wanting to return these fittings. My water pump housing is from 1969 and has a 3/8 fitting for one of the pipes. I received a pair where they both the larger size versions. I am wondering if I can return them and they are both unused. The date code on my water pump housing is from 1969.

Thank you for your assistance"

3. I never sent a response email about you not responding to my message (PLUS I AM NOT JIM) and tried to work with eBay in getting in touch with you and they also were going to contact you about the issue. When they advised me your not taking returns, I tried one again to message you.....zero response to my message or return request. I then decided to have PayPal step in.

I am still willing to send back the heater fittings (I'll even ship them on my dime) if I get my money back (even if it's done by PayPal).
It's unfortunate that it took this thread for you to finally respond.....with wrong information on a different customer...but you finally responded.

Might be a good idea to get your customers straight before you respond to a post. Or just maybe return messages would be easier.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 06:25 AM

Also I will post screenshots shots of my eBay return request, message log (to show the zero response) and 2nd message sent with a picture that was attached to the message....if needed be to proven to the board here.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 01:26 PM

Oh, what I would give to have employees work this hard for $19.27.
Posted By: shanker

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 02:01 PM

440Source for me has been a good place to quickly purchase some parts. I just wish that there was a little more transparency with the fitment of their products....Just be up front and say that parts they sell *can* work, but not without sometimes MAJOR changes.

Here's an example from a 440 in a Ramcharger I was putting together. The first is hardware, I purchased an aluminum water pump housing, water pump housing hardware, and heater hose nipples...they didn't work together. (first two attached pictures) I emailed them, they responded with something generic, I wasn't trying to get a return or money back, but hoping they'd put a statement on their website disclaiming the incompatibility, but they didn't.

My second most recent gripe is the big one. The passenger side inlet water pump housing has the thermostat neck clocked differently than the original and raised higher. This makes it INCOMPATIBLE with the OE Air Conditioner compressor. Their website had (I can't find the product on their website at the moment) a disclaimer that *some modification may be necessary* but in reality, no modification is possible to make it work with the RV2 compressor without cutting the bottom half of the compressor off. I ended up having to call up Bouchillon and order a Sanden compressor, brackets, and new power steering brackets due to the lack of an adequate disclaimer. This goes back to my complaint that they need to put more accurate descriptions of their parts on their site. I'm glad that they're parts are available though and they're supporting our hobby.

Attached picture 440Source WP Housing 04.jpg
Attached picture 440Source WP Housing 05.jpg
Attached picture 440Source WP Housing 01.jpg

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

I'll repeat,

If taking a decent picture and emailing it off exceeds your abilities I call BS. You post here, I know you know how to do it. If $20 exceeds your rate then you are wasting a lot of money sitting around here, heck you already wasted more than $20 just commenting in this thread.

I never said it exceeded my capabilities. I said, for some it's a time consuming PITA. Being self employed, wrong parts cost me enough before the picture taking/emailing circle jerk even begins.
The seller thinks he may have a QC issue with his inventory/supplier? then f----- go look, don't cause the customer more lost time because of a screw up on your end.
Doing so creates this exact issue in some cases.
On a more expensive part, understandable, 20.00 part, Not worth either one's time IMO.
I work with a lot of different suppliers. The ones that get preference are the ones that try to make my life easier by saying:
We're sorry this happened, we will ship another (overnight if needed) and a call tag if they want the part back. End of problem for me smile
And FYI: I come here to relax as I enjoy trying to help others with technical problems and occasionally give my opinions. Not to aggravate or condemn others for their suggestions/opinions /thoughts

And apparently by the OP's latest post the seller didn't even have the correct buyer, hmm that says something in itself

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 02:06 PM

Oh, what I would give to have employees work this hard for $19.27.

LOL, even 30.00 an hour didn't matter to my ex employees beer

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

I'll repeat,
The request to send pictures is a PITA for some of us. I have use a camera, take several pic's as I'm not a photographer, then got to the computer, download the pic's, review them, pic out the best and or edit them, then do an email and attach the pic's. Translation: A time consuming royal PITA for a 20.00 purchase.

WOW so you can do all of the above as outlined in 30 secs? the walk from the shop to the office takes longer about 30 sec's by itself wink

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP

I'll repeat,

I never said it exceeded my capabilities. I said, for some it's a time consuming PITA. Being self employed, wrong parts cost me enough before the picture taking/emailing circle jerk even begins.
The seller thinks he may have a QC issue with his inventory/supplier? then f----- go look, don't cause the customer more lost time because of a screw up on your end.
Doing so creates this exact issue in some cases.
On a more expensive part, understandable, 20.00 part, Not worth either one's time IMO.
I work with a lot of different suppliers. The ones that get preference are the ones that try to make my life easier by saying:
We're sorry this happened, we will ship another (overnight if needed) and a call tag if they want the part back. End of problem for me smile
And FYI: I come here to relax as I enjoy trying to help others with technical problems and occasionally give my opinions. Not to aggravate or condemn others for their suggestions/opinions /thoughts

And apparently by the OP's latest post the seller didn't even have the correct buyer, hmm that says something in itself

440source replied to this post on 10-11 and he replied back 8 hours ago with more details. Sounds like a case of miscommunication on both. This should never be handled on a public forum until all avenues have been exhausted. Especially for a 20.00 item.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP

I'll repeat,
The request to send pictures is a PITA for some of us. I have use a camera, take several pic's as I'm not a photographer, then got to the computer, download the pic's, review them, pic out the best and or edit them, then do an email and attach the pic's. Translation: A time consuming royal PITA for a 20.00 purchase.

WOW so you can do all of the above as outlined in 30 secs? the walk from the shop to the office takes longer about 30 sec's by itself wink

Yes I can do that in less than 30 seconds. It's called a smart phone, Pretty hard to take a crappy photo with today's smart phones and no need to edit anything either. just review, delete if you don't like it and take another then send it. Seems to me someone is looking for a reason to complain.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 04:22 PM

Yes I can do that in less than 30 seconds. It's called a smart phone.....

Really, some people like me have to drive 4.5 miles for signal that will send data, and some of us are still on copper dial up/dsl.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by TJP
Originally Posted by TJP

I'll repeat,

I also have to do the same plus my computer was msde in 2012 so takes some time to boot up.
And also wants to update at times 1st.
My phone is the same one that was a free upgrade from.when AT&T changed to digital.
Some here spend lots of money on phones and computer's I am just not of them.
Plus my old computer locks up and loses the mouse. So it is a big deal to take pics and post them. Only time I do is when I set time aside to do so.
Example, I may do so if I polish my X Pipe and Tail Pipes.
Or some other STUPID act.
Or find the disc that has a picture to help someone that needs a pic.
So yes others are in the same boat as you.
(Ie)
Not everyone lives like a sixteen year old girl who post every second on Facebook

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 04:24 PM

Its odd people seem to think everyone should be like/live like them, do things like them. Think like them. Interesting.
Posted By: Hugh Jorgan

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by TJP

You sir are a liar.

Remember a few months back talking crap to me because of a question I asked of someone else? Something that might have struck a chord in you?

I sure do. twocents

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 04:49 PM

Some people still have outhouses too.

I can't drag the cavemen out of the cave, but I'll be damned if I am going to live in the cave with them. Things move on, if you choose to not move on then you can't really complain that things have passed you by and you'll just have to deal with your self induced aggravations.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 05:12 PM

2. Here is my exact message, I sent you. The return request was not that good of a description, but got the problem across. The second message was through direct message. The second one had photos attached with the problem. Here is my exact second message to your company:

"Good evening, I am wanting to return these fittings. My water pump housing is from 1969 and has a 3/8 fitting for one of the pipes. I received a pair where they both the larger size versions. I am wondering if I can return them and they are both unused. The date code on my water pump housing is from 1969.

3. I never sent a response email about you not responding to my message (PLUS I AM NOT JIM) and tried to work with eBay in getting in touch with you and they also were going to contact you about the issue. When they advised me your not taking returns, I tried one again to message you.....zero response to my message or return request. I then decided to have PayPal step in.

I am still willing to send back the heater fittings (I'll even ship them on my dime) if I get my money back (even if it's done by PayPal).
It's unfortunate that it took this thread for you to finally respond.....with wrong information on a different customer...but you finally responded.

Might be a good idea to get your customers straight before you respond to a post. Or just maybe return messages would be easier.

You are correct. There was confusion here. There was another customer named Jim who had an issue with the threads and would not clarify what the actual issue was, and refused to send pictures of the problem, or further explain what the actual problem was. So, when we saw this post, we assumed it was from that customer. So please accept our apologies for that. We have issued a full refund through ebay/paypal and they do not require you to return the item.

Almost everything we sell on ebay is free shipping. We normally do not accept returns on ebay items with free shipping. This fact is very clearly stated in the terms of all our ebay auctions as "RETURNS NOT ACCEPTED." The reason for this is the shipping costs are the single largest cost in selling the item, and when a customer returns the item, nobody refunds the shipping cost. On an item like those heater hose nipples, they sell for $17.95, and shipping is generally $5-$8, depending on location, etc. After factoring in the actual cost of the item itself, the cost of packaging, ebay fees, etc. If we allowed returns on free shipping ebay items, it would be unprofitable and we would not sell on ebay at all. Because of this, we list details in the description about the item. The heater hose nipples description says: " They.. feature 3/8" NPT pipe threads." Your housing that you sent a picture of looks like it has one 1/2" NPT hole, one 1/4" NPT hole and one 3/8" NPT hole. So we encourage people to ask questions about fitment BEFORE they place an order to make sure they are getting the right thing. In this case, if you would have asked or sent us that picture before ordering, we would have told you that you could have used a simple reducing bushing (of 1/2-3/8, available at any Home Depot) in the larger fitting hole, and that would have allowed you to use this heater hose nipple setup. Normally the double 3/8" NPT setup is designed for aftermarket aluminum housings which they work perfectly with.

We work SUPER hard to provide good customer service. Over the last 12 months from our Ebay sales, we have received 1316 positive feedbacks and 6 negative ones. And of those 6, some were because of shipping issues. Contrary to what some may think, we are not in charge of the management of the U.S. Postal Service. Once we hand the packages over, they do what they will with them, just the same as when you hand them your packages. But based on our feedback, 99.4% of our customers are happy. That's a pretty dang high percentage when you are selling hundreds of thousands of parts to thousands of people per year.

Again, please accept our apology for the mixup here, we assumed it was someone else and you did not provide any specifics about the situation in your post such as your ebay auction number or username there, etc. Paypal has stepped in and issued you a full refund and allowed you to keep the item.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 05:27 PM

Also, just one afterthought. In this original post, you stated that we "sent you the incorrect part" The description of this item clearly lists the heater hose nipples as featuring 3/8" NPT threads. We sent you exactly what was listed in the description of the item. Just because the water pump housing you have uses a different size, doesn't mean we sent you the wrong part, it means you didn't read the description when purchasing the item, or look at your water pump housing to determine if they would fit properly before ordering. And then you come onto a public forum and make a thread titled "440 Source sucks" because of that. No way do we deserve that.
Posted By: BIGGERED

Re: 440 Source Doesn't Suck - 10/14/21 05:34 PM

Here you go.

Re: 440 Source Doesn't Suck - 10/14/21 05:46 PM

Nice to hear both sides of the story. I think someone owes 440source an apology.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 05:54 PM

You are correct. There was confusion here. There was another customer named Jim who had an issue with the threads and would not clarify what the actual issue was, and refused to send pictures of the problem, or further explain what the actual problem was. So, when we saw this post, we assumed it was from that customer. So please accept our apologies for that. We have issued a full refund through ebay/paypal and they do not require you to return the item.

Almost everything we sell on ebay is free shipping. We normally do not accept returns on ebay items with free shipping. This fact is very clearly stated in the terms of all our ebay auctions as "RETURNS NOT ACCEPTED." The reason for this is the shipping costs are the single largest cost in selling the item, and when a customer returns the item, nobody refunds the shipping cost. On an item like those heater hose nipples, they sell for $17.95, and shipping is generally $5-$8, depending on location, etc. After factoring in the actual cost of the item itself, the cost of packaging, ebay fees, etc. If we allowed returns on free shipping ebay items, it would be unprofitable and we would not sell on ebay at all. Because of this, we list details in the description about the item. The heater hose nipples description says: " They.. feature 3/8" NPT pipe threads." Your housing that you sent a picture of looks like it has one 1/2" NPT hole, one 1/4" NPT hole and one 3/8" NPT hole. So we encourage people to ask questions about fitment BEFORE they place an order to make sure they are getting the right thing. In this case, if you would have asked or sent us that picture before ordering, we would have told you that you could have used a simple reducing bushing (of 1/2-3/8, available at any Home Depot) in the larger fitting hole, and that would have allowed you to use this heater hose nipple setup. Normally the double 3/8" NPT setup is designed for aftermarket aluminum housings which they work perfectly with.

We work SUPER hard to provide good customer service. Over the last 12 months from our Ebay sales, we have received 1316 positive feedbacks and 6 negative ones. And of those 6, some were because of shipping issues. Contrary to what some may think, we are not in charge of the management of the U.S. Postal Service. Once we hand the packages over, they do what they will with them, just the same as when you hand them your packages. But based on our feedback, 99.4% of our customers are happy. That's a pretty dang high percentage when you are selling hundreds of thousands of parts to thousands of people per year.

Again, please accept our apology for the mixup here, we assumed it was someone else and you did not provide any specifics about the situation in your post such as your ebay auction number or username there, etc. Paypal has stepped in and issued you a full refund and allowed you to keep the item.

Thank you, for the response and apology. I will be sending these pieces back in perfect unused condition because I said I would. I'll drop them in the mail on Monday. I tried doing the adapter route but due to the supply chain problems nothing was available at the five hardware stores I went too. Thank you for responding.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 06:16 PM

Also, just one afterthought. In this original post, you stated that we "sent you the incorrect part" The description of this item clearly lists the heater hose nipples as featuring 3/8" NPT threads. We sent you exactly what was listed in the description of the item. Just because the water pump housing you have uses a different size, doesn't mean we sent you the wrong part, it means you didn't read the description when purchasing the item, or look at your water pump housing to determine if they would fit properly before ordering. And then you come onto a public forum and make a thread titled "440 Source sucks" because of that. No way do we deserve that.

Your ad advertised they fit water pump housings from 1964-1969. Mine is a 1969 housing and was incorrect for my application. No harm no foul in my book. This could of been easily worked out in messenger.

I also as a buyer, I did not deserve get no response from the return started on Sept 25 message, the follow up message on Oct 8 with photo, and supposedly eBay following up with you. If you reply to messages or requests within one day, where was the break down. If you would of just returned one of those messages, this post would of 100% not been made even if it was a pound sand on the return. I would of just take it as a "oh ok" and went on with my life. The zero response and zero communication was the problem. Respond to messages from your customers, it's simple in business.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 07:03 PM

Your ad advertised they fit water pump housings from 1964-1969. Mine is a 1969 housing and was incorrect for my application. No harm no foul in my book. This could of been easily worked out in messenger.

I also as a buyer, I did not deserve get no response from the return started on Sept 25 message, the follow up message on Oct 8 with photo, and supposedly eBay following up with you. If you reply to messages or requests within one day, where was the break down. If you would of just returned one of those messages, this post would of 100% not been made even if it was a pound sand on the return. I would of just take it as a "oh ok" and went on with my life. The zero response and zero communication was the problem. Respond to messages from your customers, it's simple in business.

We do apologize if your message got missed, which it looks like it may have.

These cars are 50+ years old, and it's not uncommon for parts to have been switched over the years. For reference, 1969 and earlier water pump housings use two 3/8" NPT fittings, 70 and later (which you sent us a picture of) use one 3/8" and one 1/4" NPT fittings.

We don't carry the 70 and later fittings, but you can see both big block styles on Mancini's web site here: https://www.manciniracing.com/hehonib.html

So we believe it is accurate as advertising ours as fitting original 1969 and earlier housings.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 08:39 PM

Also, thanks for changing the title of the thread, and sorry it went bad, hopefully we can do better for you next time.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 09:16 PM

Now that’s a great ending. I’ll stick up for 440source because I’ve seen some of the things they have done for friends over the years with different issues. They went above and beyond with service in some of these cases. For me personally I bought a stroker assembly many many years ago when I couldn’t afford high dollar parts and ran 8.60’s@155mph in my Daytona till the block finally cracked. That assembly was sold and is to this day still seeing street duty. Their valve covers are going on my B1 engine and the guy that just bought my green duster was very satisfied with their aluminum American made oil pan I gave him as an extra. I also bought two sets of their Stealth heads to port and sell again with zero issues. Zero issues with any of the sales but I try to make phone calls when ordering. I hate texting and and online sales when it’s possible to talk to someone. I wise we could go back to the old ways of doing business.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/14/21 11:11 PM

Now that’s a great ending. I’ll stick up for 440source because I’ve seen some of the things they have done for friends over the years with different issues. They went above and beyond with service in some of these cases. For me personally, I bought a stroker assembly many many years ago when I couldn’t afford high dollar parts and ran 8.60’s@155mph in my Daytona till the block finally cracked. That assembly was sold and is to this day still seeing street duty. Their valve covers are going on my B1 engine and the guy that just bought my green duster was very satisfied with their aluminum American-made oil pan I gave him as an extra. I also bought two sets of their Stealth heads to port and sell again with zero issues. Zero issues with any of the sales but I try to make phone calls when ordering. I hate texting and and online sales when it’s possible to talk to someone. I wish we could go back to the old ways of doing business.

One place I deal with American Target has a website to show what they sell, but to buy you have to call. And when you do call an old guy or lady picks up the phone says the name of the company and takes your order.
No push this or that for English or waiting on hold. Super nice guy and stuff are shipped the next day and in hand in 3-5 days ground cheap.
It is like calling 1970 all over again. I gave their # to a friend and he said I called. Told me wow it was like a flash-back to the mid-1970s with how different it was. There is also a Mopar Supplier that works the same way I have been buying from since Hemmings was paper the same way.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/15/21 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
Originally Posted by TJP

You sir are a liar.

Remember a few months back talking crap to me because of a question I asked of someone else? Something that might have struck a chord in you?

I sure do. twocents

I just searched your postings back to August on subjects I may have commented on but couldn't find what your referring to ?
and I don't recall that, can you be a bit more specific ? if an apology is in order I'll be more than happy to do so wink

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/15/21 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr PotatoHead
Yes I can do that in less than 30 seconds. It's called a smart phone.....

Really, some people like me have to drive 4.5 miles for signal that will send data, and some of us are still on copper dial up/dsl.

Thank you for explaining that to some? beer
Posted By: moparx

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/15/21 03:56 PM

a good ending is always a happy event ! up
beer
Posted By: topside

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/15/21 06:21 PM

^^^ Happy finish ?

Agree on the "old way of doing business".
I love it when a vendor actually answers the phone, and I'm talking to someone who knows the product, application, and can speak technically.
I don't necessarily need the cheapest price, I need the right stuff.
Sometimes I visit my local engine guru - sharp guy, builds very good stuff - just for a conversation and to bat tech back & forth.
We've done biz back & forth, so we get along quite well.
I've run 440Source stuff, no problems, but I typically never just do bolt-ons; nearly everything needs a bit of attention, wherever it comes from.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/15/21 07:15 PM

Let me tell you what happened today and hopefully it will serve as a customer service lesson for small businesses.

I got a frantic call before opening hours from a new customer (referred by Motorola - a good long term customer). They had ordered 30 cables which we delivered a month ago. They went to install them today and found they had the wrong connectors at the end. A municipality shut down a tunnel at great expense and inconvenience for them to finish the install over the weekend. Those cables take a few days to make. They are in big trouble and it looks like I might have screwed up.

I went over the email chain and found out that while the original request was for the right connector, when my proposal was sent to their technical lead for review and approval, he told the ops manager (the original requestor) and me to change the connector type to the wrong kind. I quoted the changed connector type, they ordered it, we built it and shipped it. So, as it turns out, not my fault at all.

I came up with a solution that involves 60 bulkhead connectors and 60 short cables that in combination would provide the end-to-end solution they need along with the original cables. I am shipping them overnight Saturday delivery from 2 locations.

My cost including shipping is around $650. My profit margin on the first sale was around $1200. The customer has no budget left to pay for the extra cables and connectors and the freight. I agreed to eat the $650. Here's why:

The Ops manager (the one who is selecting vendors on future products) will go from bonehead to hero. He will have saved the install and at no extra cost. He will seem like a silver-tongued wizard that can force vendors to do magic to solve problems. The alternative is that he will look like a guy who didn't manage his project, vendors, or installers properly. I saved his butt. BIG TIME. Now he knows that I have his back, period. He's not going to buy his stuff from anyone else going forward (he switched to us for quality, not price). I took what would have been a one-time $1,200 profit and for $650 turned it into a long-term customer than is going to put project after project in our hands. If someone was willing to sell me a great customer out of the blue for $650 I would pay that all day long. So, why not do it through customer service? Not only that, but I skipped a pre-paid tee time this morning to deal with this (OK, there goes an other $45).

So, $19 or $1,900 or $19,000 the goal here is to keep a *good* customer, or to turn a so-so customer into a good customer. Long term consistent revenue is what you want. 440source seems to get this, even if their communication style could use some polish. For the amount they sell, the small unit-price, and the platform (ebay), they're probably doing the best anyone could. Have a great weekend, everyone. I am taking my 10 year old to get her hair dyed pink, and then will have to deal with my ex-wife when she sees it.

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/16/21 01:40 AM

Let me tell you what happened today and hopefully it will serve as a customer service lesson for small businesses.

I got a frantic call before opening hours from a new customer (referred by Motorola - a good long term customer). They had ordered 30 cables which we delivered a month ago. They went to install them today and found they had the wrong connectors at the end. A municipality shut down a tunnel at great expense and inconvenience for them to finish the install over the weekend. Those cables take a few days to make. They are in big trouble and it looks like I might have screwed up.

I went over the email chain and found out that while the original request was for the right connector, when my proposal was sent to their technical lead for review and approval, he told the ops manager (the original requestor) and me to change the connector type to the wrong kind. I quoted the changed connector type, they ordered it, we built it and shipped it. So, as it turns out, not my fault at all.

I came up with a solution that involves 60 bulkhead connectors and 60 short cables that in combination would provide the end-to-end solution they need along with the original cables. I am shipping them overnight Saturday delivery from 2 locations.

My cost including shipping is around $650. My profit margin on the first sale was around $1200. The customer has no budget left to pay for the extra cables and connectors and the freight. I agreed to eat the $650. Here's why:

The Ops manager (the one who is selecting vendors on future products) will go from bonehead to hero. He will have saved the install and at no extra cost. He will seem like a silver-tongued wizard that can force vendors to do magic to solve problems. The alternative is that he will look like a guy who didn't manage his project, vendors, or installers properly. I saved his butt. BIG TIME. Now he knows that I have his back, period. He's not going to buy his stuff from anyone else going forward (he switched to us for quality, not price). I took what would have been a one-time $1,200 profit and for $650 turned it into a long-term customer than is going to put project after project in our hands. If someone was willing to sell me a great customer out of the blue for $650 I would pay that all day long. So, why not do it through customer service? Not only that, but I skipped a pre-paid tee time this morning to deal with this (OK, there goes an other $45).

So, $19 or $1,900 or $19,000 the goal here is to keep a *good* customer, or to turn a so-so customer into a good customer. Long term consistent revenue is what you want. 440source seems to get this, even if their communication style could use some polish. For the amount they sell, the small unit-price, and the platform (ebay), they're probably doing the best anyone could. Have a great weekend, everyone. I am taking my 10 year old to get her hair dyed pink, and then will have to deal with my ex-wife when she sees it.

Congrats to you for passing Business 101 A smile And I'd love to be nearby when you ex sees the hair. VIDEO ??? LOL
beer
Posted By: Twostick

Re: 440 Source sucks - 10/16/21 03:45 PM

When Brandon was still operating out of his garage and a bunch of sea cans, he came out at 8:30 PM on New Year's Eve to pick me up on the side of the road because his yard wasn't big enough to get my semi into so I could pick up my stroker kit.

I had made arrangements to pick it up but got held up getting unloaded in LA. He said just call when you get to the exit and I'll come get you.

Given the size of the company now, that couldn't happen but it impressed me at the time.

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums