CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by 360view
Simple move of “less sitting, more sleeping” improves mood during pandemic

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-spent-mood.html

Sample quote

Making these subtle changes was associated with better current mood, but light physical activity also provided benefits for up to a year, the study found. While the research was conducted prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, Meyer says the results are timely given the growing mental health concerns during this time of physical distancing.

"With everything happening right now, this is one thing we can control or manage and it has the potential to help our mental health," Meyer said.

As states start to ease stay-at-home restrictions, Meyer is looking at changes in physical activity and sitting time with potentially interesting results for those who regularly worked out prior to the pandemic. Preliminary data from a separate study show a 32% reduction in physical activity.
End quote

“Light activity” certainly means working on automobiles

So what does sitting home for 3 months - doing nothing but watching "sky is falling, we're gonna die" news all day with no money coming in, bills piling up and the fridge getting to be bare - do for that mood and state of mind?

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2776513
05/20/20 02:56 PM
05/20/20 02:56 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Now the governor of NJ (Murphy) says he is not going to fully open up the State until there is a Vaccine.
Glad I don't live, or own a business in NJ... (I thought PA was bad enough)

That' guy is worse than Wolf. Gestapo level crazy. Talking fantasy level crap while the state circles the drain.

Do people realize there may never be a vaccine. We don't have a vaccine for AIDS, Ebola, the common cold or flu. All they do is chase the mutations every flu season..

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2776517
05/20/20 03:24 PM
05/20/20 03:24 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
What Florida did differently to protect its 350,000 citizens in 4,000 nursing homes:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/coronavirus-crisis-ron-desantis-florida-covid-19-strategy/

Sample quote

First, Protect the Nursing Homes

Here, Florida is indeed quite vulnerable. The state has roughly 350,000 residents and staff at more than 4,000 long-term-care facilities.

The state took precautions with its seniors generally. “We advised, before there was even mitigation,” DeSantis points out, “if you’re 65 and older, stay home as much as possible and avoid crowds. And that was just something that made sense.” The state talked to senior communities like The Villages about what they were doing to mitigate risk, and they took common-sense measures, such as stopping big indoor gatherings.

But the nursing homes represented a different level of risk. “It was clear to me,” says Mary Mayhew, “that there were much higher standards related to infection control being outlined by the federal CDC that well exceeded what our nursing homes traditionally have been expected to adhere to. So we never had false expectations.”

Inspectors and assessment teams visited nursing homes. The state homed in on facilities where, Mayhew says, “we had historically cited around infection control. We used that to prioritize our visits to those facilities, understanding that the guidance from CDC was changing frequently. So our initial focus was to be an effective resource education to provide guidance to these facilities to make sure they understood how to request personal protective equipment from the state.”

Florida, DeSantis notes, “required all staff and any worker that entered to be screened for COVID illness, temperature checks. Anybody that’s symptomatic would just simply not be allowed to go in.” And it required staff to wear PPE. “We put our money where our mouth is,” he continues. “We recognized that a lot of these facilities were just not prepared to deal with something like this. So we ended up sending a total of 10 million masks just to our long-term-care facilities, a million gloves, half a million face shields.”

Florida fortified the hospitals with PPE, too, but DeSantis realized that it wouldn’t do the hospitals any good if infection in the nursing homes ran out of control : “If I can send PPE to the nursing homes, and they can prevent an outbreak there, that’s going to do more to lower the burden on hospitals than me just sending them another 500,000 N95 masks.”

It’s impossible to overstate the importance of this insight, and how much it drove Florida’s approach, counter to the policies of New York and other states. (“I don’t want to cast aspersions on others, but it is incredible to me, it’s shocking,” says the Florida health official, “that Governor Cuomo [and others] are able to kind of just avoid real questions about their policies early on to actually send individuals into the nursing home, which is completely counter to the real data.”)

Mary Mayhew had daily calls with the hospitals, with people involved in discharge planning on the line. “Every day on these calls,” she says, “I would hear the same comments and questions around, we need to get these individuals returned back to the nursing home. We drew a hard line early on.
I said repeatedly to the hospital, to the CEOs, to the discharge planners, to the chief medical officers,
‘I understand that for 20 years it’s been ingrained, especially through Medicare reimbursement policy, to get individuals in and out. That is not our focus today. I’m not going to send anyone back to a nursing home who has the slightest risk of being positive.’”

“What we said constantly is let’s not have two cases become 20 or five become 50,” she continues. “If you don’t manage this individual as you return them back, you will have far more being transferred back to the hospital.” Early on, when tests had a slow turnaround, there was a lot of pressure to give way, but Mayhew was unmovable on the question.

At the other end of the equation at the nursing homes, the state made it clear, according to Mayhew, “if you are unable to adhere to these infection-control standards, if you are unable to safely isolate and dedicate staff to an isolation wing or unit, you need to transfer that individual to a hospital.”

As the health officials put it, succinctly, “We wanted people out, not in.”

When the state was seeing infections at nursing homes presumably caused by staff, DeSantis deployed what he calls “an expeditionary testing force,” 50 National Guard teams of four guardsmen together with Department of Health personnel that tested staff and residents.

Most facilities haven’t had confirmed cases. “But the ones that have,” he says, “the majority of them have had between one and five infections. So the infections are identified, but then, you’re isolating either the individual or the small cluster before you have an outbreak.”

The state has just deployed a mobile testing lab in an RV that has a rapid test with results in an hour or two. It goes to a community and the staff goes to different long-term-care facilities. “If you’re talking about an asymptomatic carrier, if you can identify that person instead of waiting 48 hours for lab results to come back, I mean, that could be the difference between saving a lot of infections,” according to DeSantis.

The state has also started a sentinel surveillance program for long-term-care facilities, routinely taking representative samples to monitor for flare-ups.

Finally, it has established several COVID-19-only nursing homes, with a couple more in the pipeline. The idea, again, is to get COVID-19-positive residents out of the regular nursing homes to the maximum extent possible.

End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2776522
05/20/20 03:39 PM
05/20/20 03:39 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Can you quantify that?

Do you comprehend the destruction being done to this country every day that it remains closed? Debt, unemployment, businesses forced to close, people being spoon fed doomsday propaganda? And the relatively small number of deaths compared to what we were told could/would happen and prepared for? If not then there's no sense in even debating it. I hate to be cold and matter-of-fact about people's families and their loses, but how many less people dying would have it have taken for you to say, "Nope, don't need to destroy the country"s economy and the lives of healthy people for that"? Can you quantify that?

The point that is missed is that governors have had to rise to the challenge because there has been no leadership at the top.

Not even close. Air travel from China was closed late in January - while China was allowing air travel from Wuhan to go internationally but not to other cities in China - and people screamed and yelled 'racism" and xenophobia" at the time. They ain't yelling that now, are they.

The major decisions were left to the states - Idaho knows what it needs better than anyone, same with Florida, NY, etc. Governors know - or should have known - what resources they have, what they need, etc. The federal government can't be everyone's Mommy. There are things better done at that level.

It's not the Presidents fault that so many Governors are agenda driven drones who are all in on fixing the upcoming election, even if it means trashing the nation to get it done.

In a normal world, our leaders would be working with governors to keep the public safe, but that's not what's going on.

Driving a hospital ship up to NY harbor, having the CoE build makeshift hospitals, rounding up equipment after they auctioned their's off, and having it all under-utilized is not working with Cuomo to help keep the public safe? On what planet? The only Governors I see trashing Mr.T are the one's who want to be Creepy Joe's running mate or be in his cabinet.

one governor made an executive decision to purchase virus tests from a foreign country because he wasn't getting what he needed from DC,

I wasn't aware that Mr.T was running the CDC. I thought that was being taken care of by the "experts". What I have seen is government red tape and dawdling cut through and a teaming up with private businesses to respond, get tests, equipment, and $#!^ done at a level and speed not seen since WWII. That's what has happened and I don't care if CNN and MSLSD feel the need to lie about it, or not.

You forget, the Chinese lied and covered this up for months, allowed sick people to fly all over the world and when spit hit the fan, this virus had a real head start, We started with knowing very little about what we were dealing with just a few months ago. I think we've made fantastic, historic strides, getting things done in weeks the used to take years. Sorry if your friends at MSN are lying to you. Some of us are paying attention.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2776524
05/20/20 03:46 PM
05/20/20 03:46 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
When the dust all settles from this the governors who killed people by sending the infections into nursing homes will be the ones who get a lot of blame. It is pretty clear that a few states messed up on the nursing home situation and a lot of older people who had no option of getting out of the way were killed off in the process.

FL did seem to make some good choices on nursing homes. They figured out early that they needed to put some protective measures in place. Other places like NY made exactly the wrong decision. They forced people who had the virus into nursing homes where they infected other people who couldn't protect themselves.

For everyone outside of nursing homes the lockdowns are probably a bit overkill. Face masks and physical distancing might be all that is required when you're outside. In an office or factory setting there probably needs to be another layer of protection such as regular testing. In another month or so we'll probably see everyone figure this out and move that way. Except perhaps in a few states where the governors seem to be enjoying making things miserable for people.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2776537
05/20/20 04:55 PM
05/20/20 04:55 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
When the state was seeing infections at nursing homes presumably caused by staff, DeSantis deployed what he calls “an expeditionary testing force,” 50 National Guard teams of four guardsmen together with Department of Health personnel that tested staff and residents.

As opposed to what Cuomo and the ones trying to be like him did. And are now trying to cover up.

When the dust all settles from this the governors who killed people by sending the infections into nursing homes will be the ones who get a lot of blame. It is pretty clear that a few states messed up on the nursing home situation and a lot of older people who had no option of getting out of the way were killed off in the process.

FL did seem to make some good choices on nursing homes. They figured out early that they needed to put some protective measures in place. Other places like NY made exactly the wrong decision. They forced people who had the virus into nursing homes where they infected other people who couldn't protect themselves.

Why did this happen? Cuomo and Wolf are shuffling their feet and kicking stones when confronted with this. Anyone with a room temperature IQ knows this was bad. Even the circus clown in charge of the PA health department. He moved his Mom out of a nursing home into a hotel. The a-hole. Most people didn't have that option or ability. And if they did, they found out what was going on too late.

There really needs to be a class action filed against these governors, if for no other reason than just to find out who made them and why these decisions were made. And people wonder why those of us in PA are telling this jerk to....(censored).

Last edited by CMcAllister; 05/20/20 06:34 PM.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2776544
05/20/20 05:32 PM
05/20/20 05:32 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
My mom passed away in December just before all of this stuff started to hit the fan. I'm glad she went when she did since I'm sure the nursing home that she was in was eventually hit hard by the virus. At least when she passed on she had her family at her bedside. The poor folks locked down in nursing homes now can't get out and can't have visitors. That is rough on everyone involved.

I have no idea what the governors were thinking when they told nursing homes that they had to accept people with virus infections. Even if the governors are idiots they should've had someone on their staff that told them it was a bad idea. I'm sure there will be a big commission on this in the future and a bunch of people will be blamed. Glad I'm not in that industry. There is going to be a lot of finger pointing for a long time..........

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: AndyF] #2776594
05/20/20 08:34 PM
05/20/20 08:34 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2776610
05/20/20 09:23 PM
05/20/20 09:23 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
The orchestration is deafening.
Time will tell if the realignment of data can change the dynamics of this very real widespread event.
It does not really matter the cause, who did what,when, we are here now. The finger pointing is widespread and hits every possible direction, much like the virus itself.
Those that defend serve only to call attention. This pandemic is, what is it is. What is done is done and what is forthcoming is unpredictable, forecast, at best.
I'll rest easy tonight knowing we know everything that we need to know to get through this, that all is well, that we are safe and we have the best people possible working our our behalf.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2776619
05/20/20 10:11 PM
05/20/20 10:11 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by 360view
What Florida did differently to protect its 350,000 citizens in 4,000 nursing homes:

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/05/coronavirus-crisis-ron-desantis-florida-covid-19-strategy/

Sample quote

First, Protect the Nursing Homes

Here, Florida is indeed quite vulnerable. The state has roughly 350,000 residents and staff at more than 4,000 long-term-care facilities.

The state took precautions with its seniors generally. “We advised, before there was even mitigation,” DeSantis points out, “if you’re 65 and older, stay home as much as possible and avoid crowds. And that was just something that made sense.” The state talked to senior communities like The Villages about what they were doing to mitigate risk, and they took common-sense measures, such as stopping big indoor gatherings.

But the nursing homes represented a different level of risk. “It was clear to me,” says Mary Mayhew, “that there were much higher standards related to infection control being outlined by the federal CDC that well exceeded what our nursing homes traditionally have been expected to adhere to. So we never had false expectations.”

Inspectors and assessment teams visited nursing homes. The state homed in on facilities where, Mayhew says, “we had historically cited around infection control. We used that to prioritize our visits to those facilities, understanding that the guidance from CDC was changing frequently. So our initial focus was to be an effective resource education to provide guidance to these facilities to make sure they understood how to request personal protective equipment from the state.”

Florida, DeSantis notes, “required all staff and any worker that entered to be screened for COVID illness, temperature checks. Anybody that’s symptomatic would just simply not be allowed to go in.” And it required staff to wear PPE. “We put our money where our mouth is,” he continues. “We recognized that a lot of these facilities were just not prepared to deal with something like this. So we ended up sending a total of 10 million masks just to our long-term-care facilities, a million gloves, half a million face shields.”

Florida fortified the hospitals with PPE, too, but DeSantis realized that it wouldn’t do the hospitals any good if infection in the nursing homes ran out of control : “If I can send PPE to the nursing homes, and they can prevent an outbreak there, that’s going to do more to lower the burden on hospitals than me just sending them another 500,000 N95 masks.”

It’s impossible to overstate the importance of this insight, and how much it drove Florida’s approach, counter to the policies of New York and other states. (“I don’t want to cast aspersions on others, but it is incredible to me, it’s shocking,” says the Florida health official, “that Governor Cuomo [and others] are able to kind of just avoid real questions about their policies early on to actually send individuals into the nursing home, which is completely counter to the real data.”)

Mary Mayhew had daily calls with the hospitals, with people involved in discharge planning on the line. “Every day on these calls,” she says, “I would hear the same comments and questions around, we need to get these individuals returned back to the nursing home. We drew a hard line early on.
I said repeatedly to the hospital, to the CEOs, to the discharge planners, to the chief medical officers,
‘I understand that for 20 years it’s been ingrained, especially through Medicare reimbursement policy, to get individuals in and out. That is not our focus today. I’m not going to send anyone back to a nursing home who has the slightest risk of being positive.’”

“What we said constantly is let’s not have two cases become 20 or five become 50,” she continues. “If you don’t manage this individual as you return them back, you will have far more being transferred back to the hospital.” Early on, when tests had a slow turnaround, there was a lot of pressure to give way, but Mayhew was unmovable on the question.

At the other end of the equation at the nursing homes, the state made it clear, according to Mayhew, “if you are unable to adhere to these infection-control standards, if you are unable to safely isolate and dedicate staff to an isolation wing or unit, you need to transfer that individual to a hospital.”

As the health officials put it, succinctly, “We wanted people out, not in.”

Most facilities haven’t had confirmed cases. “But the ones that have,” he says, “the majority of them have had between one and five infections. So the infections are identified, but then, you’re isolating either the individual or the small cluster before you have an outbreak.”

The state has just deployed a mobile testing lab in an RV that has a rapid test with results in an hour or two. It goes to a community and the staff goes to different long-term-care facilities. “If you’re talking about an asymptomatic carrier, if you can identify that person instead of waiting 48 hours for lab results to come back, I mean, that could be the difference between saving a lot of infections,” according to DeSantis.

The state has also started a sentinel surveillance program for long-term-care facilities, routinely taking representative samples to monitor for flare-ups.

Finally, it has established several COVID-19-only nursing homes, with a couple more in the pipeline. The idea, again, is to get COVID-19-positive residents out of the regular nursing homes to the maximum extent possible.

End quote

Florida had two things mainly going for it:
1. It was approx 2 weeks behind NY in the pandemic, and has a lot of familial ties to NY, which kept Florida very informed and focused as to the potential seriousness of this pandemic.
2. And a government that did not waste time starting to respond based on NY's ordeal.

Unfortunately, a lot of the New Yorkers relocated to So Fla in this pandemic, which likely seeded the state, and the NY travel restrictions were put place too late here.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2776645
05/21/20 01:25 AM
05/21/20 01:25 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline
Kippy  Offline
K

USA
Hospitalized nursing home residents who were now stable enough to be allowed to return to a nursing home should have been tested for Covid 19. The directive from the Dept of health in NY at the time prohibited that. Obviously a mistake. The notion that New Yorkers caused Floridians to become infected is with out merit. NYC airports take in people from all over the world. NYC in it of itself is a major hub of the entire nation. People come to the city and continue onto destinations all over the country including Florida. One of the biggest reasons NYC had such a major breakout of the virus is its huge mass transit system.
I would suggest that the finger pointing we see all too often would serve us better if it was stoped.
However what we see now is a failure to accept responsibility and move on to solve a crisis instead of shifting blame and we see it at the highest levels of government.
One might stop being spoon fed by various news media outlets and actually instead read and research rather then play the political agenda BS card. I can get enough of that on a car forum over in that [censored] house called the FBBO. That being the major reason I enjoy this forum so much that what goes on there isn't allowed here, or so I hoped
Apologies to moderators for language.

Last edited by Kippy; 05/21/20 01:28 AM. Reason: language
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2776671
05/21/20 09:23 AM
05/21/20 09:23 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Can you quantify that?

Do you comprehend the destruction being done to this country every day that it remains closed? Debt, unemployment, businesses forced to close, people being spoon fed doomsday propaganda? And the relatively small number of deaths compared to what we were told could/would happen and prepared for? If not then there's no sense in even debating it. I hate to be cold and matter-of-fact about people's families and their loses, but how many less people dying would have it have taken for you to say, "Nope, don't need to destroy the country"s economy and the lives of healthy people for that"? Can you quantify that?

The point that is missed is that governors have had to rise to the challenge because there has been no leadership at the top.

Not even close. Air travel from China was closed late in January - while China was allowing air travel from Wuhan to go internationally but not to other cities in China - and people screamed and yelled 'racism" and xenophobia" at the time. They ain't yelling that now, are they.

The major decisions were left to the states - Idaho knows what it needs better than anyone, same with Florida, NY, etc. Governors know - or should have known - what resources they have, what they need, etc. The federal government can't be everyone's Mommy. There are things better done at that level.

It's not the Presidents fault that so many Governors are agenda driven drones who are all in on fixing the upcoming election, even if it means trashing the nation to get it done.

In a normal world, our leaders would be working with governors to keep the public safe, but that's not what's going on.

Driving a hospital ship up to NY harbor, having the CoE build makeshift hospitals, rounding up equipment after they auctioned their's off, and having it all under-utilized is not working with Cuomo to help keep the public safe? On what planet? The only Governors I see trashing Mr.T are the one's who want to be Creepy Joe's running mate or be in his cabinet.

one governor made an executive decision to purchase virus tests from a foreign country because he wasn't getting what he needed from DC,

I wasn't aware that Mr.T was running the CDC. I thought that was being taken care of by the "experts". What I have seen is government red tape and dawdling cut through and a teaming up with private businesses to respond, get tests, equipment, and $#!^ done at a level and speed not seen since WWII. That's what has happened and I don't care if CNN and MSLSD feel the need to lie about it, or not.

You forget, the Chinese lied and covered this up for months, allowed sick people to fly all over the world and when spit hit the fan, this virus had a real head start, We started with knowing very little about what we were dealing with just a few months ago. I think we've made fantastic, historic strides, getting things done in weeks the used to take years. Sorry if your friends at MSN are lying to you. Some of us are paying attention.

Oh just cut it out will ya!, truth, reality and facts have no place being discussed here... smile

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2776682
05/21/20 09:50 AM
05/21/20 09:50 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Alcohol harm during lockdowns should be addressed ASAP

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-05-tackling-alcohol-nation-recovery-covid-.html

Sample quote

In the week to 21 March, alcohol sales were up 67% as many people reacted to the closure of pubs and restaurants by stocking up to drink at home in isolation, write Sir Ian Gilmore, Chair of Alcohol Health Alliance UK, and Baroness Ilora Finlay, Chair of the Commission on Alcohol Harms. In comparison, overall supermarket sales only increased by 43%.
Snip
While the relationship between alcohol and domestic violence is complex they say, research finds that as many as 73% of perpetrators of domestic abuse have been drinking at the time of the assault.
Snip
We know that investing £1 in alcohol treatment services will save £3, as well as directly helping affected individuals, often the most vulnerable in society. This time, let's be ready. Tackling alcohol harms is an integral part of the nation's recovery."
End quote

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Kippy] #2776696
05/21/20 10:50 AM
05/21/20 10:50 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Kippy
Hospitalized nursing home residents who were now stable enough to be allowed to return to a nursing home should have been tested for Covid 19. The directive from the Dept of health in NY at the time prohibited that. Obviously a mistake. The notion that New Yorkers caused Floridians to become infected is with out merit. NYC airports take in people from all over the world. NYC in it of itself is a major hub of the entire nation. People come to the city and continue onto destinations all over the country including Florida. One of the biggest reasons NYC had such a major breakout of the virus is its huge mass transit system.
I would suggest that the finger pointing we see all too often would serve us better if it was stoped.
However what we see now is a failure to accept responsibility and move on to solve a crisis instead of shifting blame and we see it at the highest levels of government.
One might stop being spoon fed by various news media outlets and actually instead read and research rather then play the political agenda BS card. I can get enough of that on a car forum over in that [censored] house called the FBBO. That being the major reason I enjoy this forum so much that what goes on there isn't allowed here, or so I hoped

"With out merit" you say, Why then are New Yorkers still banned from hotels in Florida?

BTW, how many New Yorkers headed to Montana at the start of this pandemic?

I'm not IMO pointing fingers, just mentioning that travel restrictions earlier from hot spots would have likely slowed the progression. You can decide who was responsible for that dereliction of duty or lack of understanding how COVID spreads nationally timely.

BTW, I mentioned very early on in this(?) thread how neighborhoods were full of visiting family's with cars, in the now known counties in Fla with, highest COVID cases, having often New York and New Jersey Plates.

Your comment on lack of merit, lacks merit IMO.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2776706
05/21/20 11:26 AM
05/21/20 11:26 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline
Kippy  Offline
K

USA
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Kippy

"With out merit" you say, Why then are New Yorkers still banned from hotels in Florida?

BTW, how many New Yorkers headed to Montana at the start of this pandemic?

I'm not IMO pointing fingers, just mentioning that travel restrictions earlier from hot spots would have likely slowed the progression. You can decide who was responsible for that dereliction of duty or lack of understanding how COVID spreads nationally timely.

BTW, I mentioned very early on in this(?) thread how neighborhoods were full of visiting family's with cars, in the now known counties in Fla with, highest COVID cases, having often New York and New Jersey Plates.

Your comment on lack of merit, lacks merit IMO.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Kippy] #2776709
05/21/20 11:36 AM
05/21/20 11:36 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline
Kippy  Offline
K

USA
Florida represents one of the riskiest states to visit as of today due to their Governors lax approach to the Corona virus. His loyalties seem less to his state and more to Washington. As far as New Yorkers moving out of state, while im sure some may have I notice you failed to link any statistics supporting what you allege.
Getting back to Florida, that state has always had a large population which I may add support it through their tax dollars that travel and live there. during the cold northern winters. Many Canadians also reside there all winter long. Why not single them out as well?
Americans as well as foreigners travel to Florida constantly and especially in the winter, the fact that you single out New Yorkers is a fairly obvious tactic for fairly obvious reasons and it reeks of ignorance.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Kippy] #2776728
05/21/20 12:52 PM
05/21/20 12:52 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
If anyone thinks we're overcounting covid deaths, please give this a read.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-deaths/

Also, from someone on a different forum:
A coworker got it. He was a healthy 40YO guy who ran marathons and played hockey. It took him 5 weeks to get over it and he lost ~25% lung capacity. He can barely walk 50 yards now without getting winded.

Sure, most of the deaths may be old people in nursing homes, but it looks like there will be a lot of people that survive but have lasting health issues that we barely know about right now.

I sure don't want to get it.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Kippy] #2776732
05/21/20 01:05 PM
05/21/20 01:05 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Why blame New Yorkers, Floridians or anyone else for doing what people normally do? I'm tired of this crap too. I'm ready to go to the track, swap meets, some big events I do every year. A lot of it has been cancelled. You may be able to rightly blame some of the governors for some of the crap they have dreamed up and imposed on their citizens because "I'm in charge here now". But normal people want to get back to normal.

Mr. President has done a fantastic job, bringing together and mobilizing the talents of private businesses and government, cutting through red tape and bureaucracy, to get things done in days and weeks that normally take years. Ignoring the "government should be in charge of it all" crowd. We see what kind of a CF results when we allow that. I'm not so sure about his "experts" though. They have agendas and scams of their own going on.

In all of the blame game being passed around, I don't see anyone talking about the Chinese, who become more complicit in this as facts come out. It appears that a least some of this was intentional. I'm see reports that international flights from Wuhan were allowed while flights to cities in China were not. Italy and Iran have a lot of Chinese activity and people coming and going. How have they made out?

Once we turn the corner a little more, our relationship with them after this and in response to what has been going on most recently has to be an item of focus. Or we'll be right back where we are, and probably worse, in the near future.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2776736
05/21/20 01:13 PM
05/21/20 01:13 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by hooziewhatsit
If anyone thinks we're overcounting covid deaths, please give this a read.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/coronavirus-deaths/

Also, from someone on a different forum:
A coworker got it. He was a healthy 40YO guy who ran marathons and played hockey. It took him 5 weeks to get over it and he lost ~25% lung capacity. He can barely walk 50 yards now without getting winded.

Sure, most of the deaths may be old people in nursing homes, but it looks like there will be a lot of people that survive but have lasting health issues that we barely know about right now.

I sure don't want to get it.

I don't want to get it either. I also don't want to get seasonal flu & colds, cancer, heart disease, hurt or killed in a car wreck, etc., but I refuse to hide inside to avoid any of it. Most people like to attend events where there are crowds of people. Race track, swap meets, other large events WWII Weekend here in PA, PRI, ballgames, kids sports, concerts, picnics, reunions, etc., etc.. We aren't really cutout to be hermits. I think we are about done being forced to be hermits.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: CMcAllister] #2776838
05/21/20 07:37 PM
05/21/20 07:37 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Why blame New Yorkers, Floridians or anyone else for doing what people normally do? I'm tired of this crap too.

Why do seem to think anyone is blaming anybody. I pointed out what is typical NOT normal. Calling it normal doesn't make it so. "Tired of this crap", because it hits too close to home ?

This below is my 3/25 post on this thread on the abnormal influx of New Yorkers in one neighborhood and reported elsewhere, and precedes the Florida Gov stopping certain states autos at the border before entering and later requiring out of staters to quarantine for 14 days sure doesn't sound normal to me.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2755600/Searchpage/4/Main/227528/Words/%2Bnj/Search/true/re-the-official-coronavirus-thread.html#Post2755600

"Statistics" ? eyes

Mr. President has done a fantastic job

On being at the helm for the past 9 weeks while nearly 100,000 Americans died kinda of "fantastic".

Watch the movie "Titanic" again on this Sunday and report back to us how "fantastic" the Captain did on its first voyage.

Page 82 of 136 1 2 80 81 82 83 84 135 136