05/04/20 05:59 PM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline OP
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline OP
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
So,

Wife and I have a prestine 2010 Buick LaCrosse CSX that is our main interstate travel car. Perfect shape, well maintained, still looks new and even has the "new car ambience" inside and out. just turned 60,000 largely interstate miles.

Our "go to" maintenance place closed up last year, so I took it to a different local shop for a routine emissions test. The manager was "VERY WELCOMING" upon my drop off. We even struck up a Vanishing Point / Two Lane Blacktop conversation.

Let me backup and say this place did a cam beefy install and head work on my 1970 Vanishing Point Challenger in about 2000. Wonderful job, but the place switched ownership a few years ago.

So anyway, they call me a few hours later....and say I really "should" have the oil changed, "according to the windshield sticker, it is due." I say, let me check my computer records, as I think I had it done recently.

Sure enough, it was done in January. Full synthetic (as always), less than 1000 miles since. He still says, that it really should be changed. I say, even though it's synthetic??? He says yup, still breaks down.

I understand this, but not THIS quick! whistling

Then, he says their "full vehicle check" shows an abnormal amount of copper in the brake lines. Suggests an exchange,and says the manual calls for it.

Now, that may be manual wise...but I've never had it done.

Now, to add to the issue: The Buick (always garaged) has now been parked outside under a great tarp for the past several months. Bought a newer car, so one had to go outside.

When I drive it to this place (Driven for the first time in a couple months), I noticed a slight "thumping" when i hit the brakes at city speed. Just prior to the final stop. I mention it to them, to please check. I suspect it was just a light coating of moisture rust due to sitting outside in the early Spring.

They say they test drove it, and experienced the same thing. Said it may be nothing and will wear off, but could be more serious. They wanted $70 for a "brake inspection."

When I try to converse with him on some of this, his ultimate response was: "It's your car, do what you want."

Sooooooooooo, I go to pick it up and pay the $24.00 emissions fee.

Seems like no one would even converse, or make eye contact with me.

When my 2012 Challenger SXT Plus comes due for emissions (16,000 miles), or anything else.... I will not repeat the same mistake! hammer

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771184
05/04/20 07:21 PM
05/04/20 07:21 PM
Salem, NY
69gtxvert Offline
69gtxvert  Offline

Salem, NY
I feel bad for the good guys that make a living repairing cars for folks who can't or don't want to. There are many out there but they risk getting lumped into the same category as this bunch you dealt with. Glad you got out of there with a $24 bill. It would have been a lot worse for many, including my wife, my mother, my sister....insert your own victim.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771186
05/04/20 07:26 PM
05/04/20 07:26 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Not sure what the labor rate is where you are, but they're likely losing money at $24 for an emissions test.
I'd guess that fee is set by the State ?
I don't know how "abnormal amount of copper in brake lines" would be checked/found, but it sounds like they were hoping to make a few bucks or at least break even.
Kinda like those $19.95 lube/oil/filter deals, the shops are hoping to upsell on any issues they see.
I'd sure want to know what that thumping sound is all about.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771192
05/04/20 07:42 PM
05/04/20 07:42 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Not sure i follow. You took a vehicle to a shop that was new to you/this car. You requested an emissions test and mentioned a brake concern.They road tested and inspected the vehicle(as a good shop/tech should). Then they made some recommendations(as a good shop/tech should do)They suggested:

1) Oil change likely based on time(they have no idea about the vehicle usage or the oil used at last service)Based on your knowledge of the vehicle and usage...you decline

2) Brake fluid flush(most manufactures recommend this as maintenance)Based on your knowledge and past experience...you decline

3) Brake inspection(for a fee) due to the concern you expressed as well as the tech test drive. Based on your discussion with them and your past experience...you decline

From here it sounds like the shop attempted to address every one of your concerns and performed a thorough examination of the vehicle and in the end only performed the service you authorized. Sounds like a shop that has the customer in mind.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: topside] #2771195
05/04/20 07:44 PM
05/04/20 07:44 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by topside
Not sure what the labor rate is where you are, but they're likely losing money at $24 for an emissions test.
I'd guess that fee is set by the State ?
I don't know how "abnormal amount of copper in brake lines" would be checked/found, but it sounds like they were hoping to make a few bucks or at least break even.
Kinda like those $19.95 lube/oil/filter deals, the shops are hoping to upsell on any issues they see.
I'd sure want to know what that thumping sound is all about.

UPSELL on those deals ? Perish that thought !! BECAUSE there’s MORE!

They’ll ADD IN a free tire rotation!

And YOU KNOW where that goes ! whistling

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Dcuda69] #2771198
05/04/20 07:51 PM
05/04/20 07:51 PM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline OP
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline OP
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Not sure i follow. You took a vehicle to a shop that was new to you/this car. You requested an emissions test and mentioned a brake concern.They road tested and inspected the vehicle(as a good shop/tech should). Then they made some recommendations(as a good shop/tech should do)They suggested:

1) Oil change likely based on time(they have no idea about the vehicle usage or the oil used at last service)Based on your knowledge of the vehicle and usage...you decline

2) Brake fluid flush(most manufactures recommend this as maintenance)Based on your knowledge and past experience...you decline

3) Brake inspection(for a fee) due to the concern you expressed as well as the tech test drive. Based on your discussion with them and your past experience...you decline

From here it sounds like the shop attempted to address every one of your concerns and performed a thorough examination of the vehicle and in the end only performed the service you authorized. Sounds like a shop that has the customer in mind.

$70 for a brake “inspection?”

No, all in all this was an up-sell,

And they were visibly disturbed between drop off and pickup that I didn’t buy.

Drove car home, and thumping noise was gone.

Must’ve wore off already.. .

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771203
05/04/20 08:00 PM
05/04/20 08:00 PM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
So you want them to inspect your brakes for NOTHING ??? Guys like you think tools and equipment pay for themselves. The copper in the brake fluid thing is just strange I must admit but some domestic (American) do have fluid contamination issues. When I do a brake inspection at the dealership ($59.95) I pull all four wheels and calipers to confirm slides and pins are free. And if the customer declines all the work I suggest it needs I loose and so does the dealer because they pay me an hour for the inspection.
I really hate when I get a repair order with 3-4 "could you also look at this or that while it's on the rack" flame I get flat rate pay for ONLY things I can bill the customer for. I also find it hard to believe that you have never driven a car with rust on the rotors from sitting a few weeks confused

It's not easy being a shop owner in today's economy so he is trying to sell you a brake flush that your specific car may very well need. All you have to say is "no thanks" if you don't want it done.
Your lube sticker deal is why I quit putting the date on them. Most cars that use synthetic oils are 10K intervals (which I don't agree with either) the oil still gets dirty and should be changed every 5K twocents
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: fourgearsavoy] #2771208
05/04/20 08:04 PM
05/04/20 08:04 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
thumping could have been a tire from sitting.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771215
05/04/20 08:26 PM
05/04/20 08:26 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by Cometstorm
Originally Posted by Dcuda69

$70 for a brake “inspection?”

No, all in all this was an up-sell,

And they were visibly disturbed between drop off and pickup that I didn’t buy.

Drove car home, and thumping noise was gone.

Must’ve wore off already.. .

Like Gus said....your car will occupy a hoist and a tech to inspect brakes and write an estimate. Wheels have to come off, calipers get inspected.rotors get measured and a list is created. That list goes to a manager/writer who then spends time locating/pricing parts and calculating labor. Then he contacts the customer with an exact estimate of work to be done,the cost of the work and the time required to complete the work.Many shops will waive inspection fees if work is authorized.If work is declined the shop has to be able to cover the time involved in creating an accurate estimate for required repairs.

There's a LOT involved in a running a successful/profitable repair center in today's world.It's not cheap to run these businesses.....equipment is expensive,qualified techs don't come cheap,disposing of stuff(tires/chemicals)isn't cheap,etc,etc,etc.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Dcuda69] #2771220
05/04/20 08:34 PM
05/04/20 08:34 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Come on guyz .... there are shops here in Florida that offer FREE TIRE ROTATION with a oil/filter/lube job ! ..,, and in many cases no zerk fittings were attended to AND in many times the engine oil filter was never changed ! tsk

THEN .... there’s that so called BRAKE FLUID FLUSH...... tsk tsk

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: dOc !] #2771227
05/04/20 08:55 PM
05/04/20 08:55 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
$70 for a brake inspection that was a short drive? No mention of wheels off or even going into the air? Or did I misunderstand and he wanted to do a brake check for $70?

Regardless, he'd have lost me at insisting to change out my 1000 mile old synthetic oil that could be "broke down".

Hard pass. The wise cracks would have sealed it.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 05/04/20 08:56 PM.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: CMcAllister] #2771244
05/04/20 09:34 PM
05/04/20 09:34 PM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline OP
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline OP
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
$70 for a brake inspection that was a short drive? No mention of wheels off or even going into the air? Or did I misunderstand and he wanted to do a brake check for $70?

Regardless, he'd have lost me at insisting to change out my 1000 mile old synthetic oil that could be "broke down".

Hard pass. The wise cracks would have sealed it.

Thank you...

That was my first sign that everything to follow was BS!

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771296
05/05/20 04:52 AM
05/05/20 04:52 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Regarding the copper in the brake fluid thing, yes it's real and a decent test of fluid conditions. As the fluid breaks down it becomes corrosive and starts to dissolve the copper coating inside the lines. The test is done similar to a litmus test.

While 70 sounds a bit high for a brake inspection, i don't think it's out of line to charge for one. They take time to do properly.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771297
05/05/20 05:06 AM
05/05/20 05:06 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Online content
top fuel
PhillyRag  Online Content
top fuel
P

Phila
The manager was "VERY WELCOMING" upon my drop off. We even struck up a Vanishing Point / Two Lane Blacktop conversation.
A ploy: get customer "relaxed", feeling at-ease, welcomed, etc. Then down to "business" (making money). When that falls thru; show your "true self" with "It's your car, do what you want.".

Nonetheless: people do have expectations that they are "entitled" to have every little questionable issue they have about their car addressed by a shop, without the faintest though that "time is money" in that business.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: fourgearsavoy] #2771319
05/05/20 08:55 AM
05/05/20 08:55 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Originally Posted by fourgearsavoy
So you want them to inspect your brakes for NOTHING ??? Guys like you think tools and equipment pay for themselves. The copper in the brake fluid thing is just strange I must admit but some domestic (American) do have fluid contamination issues. When I do a brake inspection at the dealership ($59.95) I pull all four wheels and calipers to confirm slides and pins are free. And if the customer declines all the work I suggest it needs I loose and so does the dealer because they pay me an hour for the inspection.
I really hate when I get a repair order with 3-4 "could you also look at this or that while it's on the rack" flame I get flat rate pay for ONLY things I can bill the customer for. I also find it hard to believe that you have never driven a car with rust on the rotors from sitting a few weeks confused

It's not easy being a shop owner in today's economy so he is trying to sell you a brake flush that your specific car may very well need. All you have to say is "no thanks" if you don't want it done.
Your lube sticker deal is why I quit putting the date on them. Most cars that use synthetic oils are 10K intervals (which I don't agree with either) the oil still gets dirty and should be changed every 5K twocents
Gus

Every single time I dealt with a customer who said their 10 year old (or older) vehicle was in "perfect condition," I knew there were going to be problems.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: not_a_charger] #2771330
05/05/20 09:37 AM
05/05/20 09:37 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
The only thing I see out of whack is the oil change part. For the brake inspection especially when it's discs a decent garage would usually tell you what it might be from a quick look and say for that $70 they'll check into it further and I can see them charging something for labour to put it on a hoist unless it's already in the air for another reason. A good garage would absorb those costs if you actually get them to do whatever work it needs and if it's a shop that you deal with regularely they usually won't charge you at all.

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: 5thAve] #2771365
05/05/20 11:04 AM
05/05/20 11:04 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
dOc !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Hmmmm ... a RELAXED customer.... laugh2

BUTTT .. what da fugg is this COPPER IN THE BRAKE LINES ?

Please inform this VERY RELAXED ex FabUglass guy ! .... coffee

Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771399
05/05/20 12:08 PM
05/05/20 12:08 PM
On the open road
Hrtbkr Offline
super stock
Hrtbkr  Offline
super stock

On the open road
I'm curious about copper in the brake fluid myself.

I took my GTX to the tire store across the street for a State safety inspection. The first thing the ape mechanic did was unplug a bunch of stuff under the dash looking for the OBD plug. Then they couldn't figure out how to enter the VIN in the state system because it only had 13 characters.
I ended up taking it to the place across town where I usually go.

While outside on the turnpike They got this new hit tune Where thrills become as cheap as gas And gas as cheap as thrills
Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Hrtbkr] #2771422
05/05/20 01:06 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by Hrtbkr
I'm curious about copper in the brake fluid myself.

It was news to me as well. I thought brake fluid contamination was a concern primarily because of ABS modules, figured it was because of moisture. Apparently that's not as much a concern anymore. The copper comes from the brake lines indicating a breakdown of the brake fluid additive package. Didn't even know it had a additive package.

Diagnostic fees wasn't even a term when I was a mechanic in the 1970's. Never heard of it until the 1980's. The quoted fee sounds high to me to put it on a lift, pull the wheels and drums if any. 20 minutes work? I think my record for 4 tires and balance was ~ 45 minutes back in the day.

The shops attitude when the work was declined was the only thing that bothered me. That's not how you treat a customer. It's not like the pads were gone and riding on metal or tires down to the cord. Nothing imminently dangerous here.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Bit of auto repair shop venting [Re: Cometstorm] #2771423
Northern California
lilcuda Offline
super stock
lilcuda  Offline
super stock