P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by 71sat440
How many people on Moparts think they have had it?

I think I had it and so do most of my coworkers.
We're in one of the worst hit areas of PA and were all sick end of Jan-beginning of Feb.
Assuming I had it and not just a flu, I got hit with diarrhea first but that was only a couple hour thing and was over quick. I slept most of the first 2 days.
No one thought Corona was in PA at that point and I went to work, it was my co workers that told me to go home after half a day, they could tell I wasn't right just by looking at me.

Wasn't there a really large gun show during Jan., that would have attracted people from the "far reaches" to attend.
Nephew mentioned to me that afterwards, "lots" of attendees became sick afterwards (he didn't attend).
Maybe in PA somewhere? Any larger "event" during that period, attracting crowds from distances, could well have "delivered" the virus.
Any thoughts/Info?

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: PhillyRag] #2770979
05/04/20 01:27 AM
05/04/20 01:27 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
JCC, I believe you and I were confused. I posted a link to a home page, and included a quote from another page linked on that page.
I don't live in a perfect world and moparts is a fun, leisure activity. It's worthless to get riled up over banter.
Blinders, or rose colored glasses, no other choices.
Now, for something completely different the news had some very interesting maneuvering going on. My gut feeling is there is going to be a lot of data released soon.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: PhillyRag] #2770980
05/04/20 01:34 AM
05/04/20 01:34 AM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Originally Posted by PhillyRag
Wasn't there a really large gun show during Jan., that would have attracted people from the "far reaches" to attend.
Nephew mentioned to me that afterwards, "lots" of attendees became sick afterwards (he didn't attend).
Maybe in PA somewhere? Any larger "event" during that period, attracting crowds from distances, could well have "delivered" the virus.
Any thoughts/Info?

That's the problem with the push to re-open in areas that aren't affected much right now. All it takes is one person in a large group (go back and look up the church in South Korea) to spread it, then everyone takes it back home. Once people start showing up in the hospital, it just says that something happened to spread it 2 weeks ago. And it's been spreading more in the mean time.

So, we can't really start opening until:
The curve is on the downward trend
We have plentiful rapid testing
Contact tracing is established

Until then, we need to limit our contact and wear masks in public. Then we can do a soft-opening of a lot of things.

-------------

I was hoping to have my anti-body test results on Friday, but now hope to see them tomorrow. I had something nasty the last half of February, but a week after I was done my kid tested positive for influenza-A, so I probably just had that.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 71sat440] #2770998
05/04/20 07:39 AM
05/04/20 07:39 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
My sister and brother in law have been exposed to COVID-19 positive patients numerous times, but got tested for antibodies last Monday and were negative.

My brother got very sick after attending the World of Concrete show in Los Vegas. He got tested for antibodies Tuesday and was negative.

The version of Influenza going around is itself quite bad this year.

In a previous post in this thread I gave a link to a report from Stanford U medical center that found that about 20% of COVID-19 patients were co-infected at the same timewith either Influenza, RSV virus, or another virus.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771002
05/04/20 07:56 AM
05/04/20 07:56 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
No one should be expected to have anywhere near perfect 20/20 hindsight.

In hindsight, trailers and RV’s should have been taken to Nursing Homes and staff should have been paid 24 hour pay to completely isolate. This one policy would have saved the most deaths and suffering.

NYC should have closed subways, metro trains and buses, and instituted social distancing sooner.

USA citizens below age 40 with no co-morbidities should have social distanced but continued to run the US economy on overtime.

As a “national defense” measure we need government funded bunker style hospitals under the command of the Surgeon General with large numbers of ICU beds and equipment on standby and supplies in stockpiles. Terrorists and hostile governments have watched all this.

We DO NOT have enough food stockpiled.
Governments 5000 years ago understood food stockpiling better than present day governments!

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771012
05/04/20 09:18 AM
05/04/20 09:18 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by srt
JCC, I believe you and I were confused.

I think you are right. My mistake. My apology. Period.

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2771025
05/04/20 10:08 AM
05/04/20 10:08 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
I'm seeing a effort to assign the Wuhan Lab as the source and efforts to diminish responsibility.
My personal feeling that's all water under the bridge and greater effort needs to be expended looking forward to treatment and vaccine.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771028
05/04/20 10:18 AM
05/04/20 10:18 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Can we do both?

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771041
05/04/20 10:40 AM
05/04/20 10:40 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by srt
I'm seeing a effort to assign the Wuhan Lab as the source and efforts to diminish responsibility.
My personal feeling that's all water under the bridge and greater effort needs to be expended looking forward to treatment and vaccine.

Ya right water under the bridge. Totally collapse our economy and let’s just look the other way. How about those that died from their carelessness planned or otherwise.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2771049
05/04/20 11:05 AM
05/04/20 11:05 AM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Even the Chinese know they're in trouble. Spreading in eastern Europe now.

https://news.trust.org/item/20200504103349-xwxse

An internal Chinese report warns that Beijing faces a rising wave of hostility in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak that could tip relations with the United States into confrontation, people familiar with the paper told Reuters.

As a result, Beijing faces a wave of anti-China sentiment led by the United States in the aftermath of the pandemic and needs to be prepared in a worst-case scenario for armed confrontation between the two global powers, according to people familiar with the report's content, who declined to be identified given the sensitivity of the matter.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2771052
05/04/20 11:11 AM
05/04/20 11:11 AM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
What exactly happens if the source is found? Does not make sense to expend resources chasing nothing. Will we send out summons, hold depositions and go to the world court to recover damages? Our country decided to bail out businesses and people. We have been living as few other countries, a life of wasteful spending and little savings. Was our economy so fragile it only took a virus that was totally under control to bring it down?
There is nothing to see there other than headlines that distract from business at hand. I feel it's more mis-directed and unproductive activity (water under the bridge).
FWIW -Countries with the highest savings rates tend to also have lower-than-average GDP per capita.
Using an argument I've seen here about letting some people die so our economy can go back sooner: Wouldn't it be better to let some businesses fail and new businesses spring forth as need arises post pandemic? It's also water under the bridge all the money we have spent, our grand kids and on will take care of it.
Here's the breakdown of the $200m we all have taken on.
Individuals/ Families $603.7 billion 30%
Big Business $500.0 billion 25%
Small Business $377.0 billion 19%
State and Local Government $340.0 billion 17%
Public Services $179.5 billion 9%
Better part of a trillion for businesses! Stand by for the next round.
Did what you or I get as part of the stimulus really change anything?

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771060
05/04/20 11:27 AM
05/04/20 11:27 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i never received $1200.00.
beer

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771067
05/04/20 11:50 AM
05/04/20 11:50 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by srt
What exactly happens if the source is found? Does not make sense to expend resources chasing nothing. Will we send out summons, hold depositions and go to the world court to recover damages? Our country decided to bail out businesses and people. We have been living as few other countries, a life of wasteful spending and little savings. Was our economy so fragile it only took a virus that was totally under control to bring it down?
There is nothing to see there other than headlines that distract from business at hand. I feel it's more mis-directed and unproductive activity (water under the bridge).
FWIW -Countries with the highest savings rates tend to also have lower-than-average GDP per capita.
Using an argument I've seen here about letting some people die so our economy can go back sooner: Wouldn't it be better to let some businesses fail and new businesses spring forth as need arises post pandemic? It's also water under the bridge all the money we have spent, our grand kids and on will take care of it.
Here's the breakdown of the $200m we all have taken on.
Individuals/ Families $603.7 billion 30%
Big Business $500.0 billion 25%
Small Business $377.0 billion 19%
State and Local Government $340.0 billion 17%
Public Services $179.5 billion 9%
Better part of a trillion for businesses! Stand by for the next round.
Did what you or I get as part of the stimulus really change anything? Seems it may be smoke and mirrors as we will likely be paying it back on next years 1040 variant.

I don't know you but you either live in a shell or your life hasn't been affected by this crisis. People are losing their home, businesses, lives, friends, family, life savings, etc, etc over this and you don't want to pursue the people responsible. Well guess what, I DO, and I want our Country to go after them hard to find out how and why this started. That way we can learn from it just like we already learned about WHO. What a joke that outfit has become. We also learned we have to bring manufacturing back HOME again so we are better prepared for the next ACCIDENT. All while you stay in your "little safe spot". What a joke.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2771074
05/04/20 12:08 PM
05/04/20 12:08 PM
North East USA
B
BIGGERED Offline
Reasonable Title
BIGGERED  Offline
Reasonable Title
B

North East USA
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I don't know you but you either live in a shell or your life hasn't been affected by this crisis. People are losing their home, businesses, lives, friends, family, life savings, etc, etc over this and you don't want to pursue the people responsible. Well guess what, I DO, and I want our Country to go after them hard to find out how and why this started. That way we can learn from it just like we already learned about WHO. What a joke that outfit has become. We also learned we have to bring manufacturing back HOME again so we are better prepared for the next ACCIDENT. All while you stay in your "little safe spot". What a joke.

There is much here to dissect but consider the following.

-Double digits of Americans polled believe we created the virus!

-I've had my "essential" industrial business open for the whole duration. Sales are down at least 80%. If I owned a restaurant I would anticipate a similar drop once they reopen. You wont catch me at the barber in 2020. Haven't worn a pony tail in 25 years but its back.

-We could have reacted faster as a nation but chose not to. You decide why.

-In terms of manufacturing coming back. We all would love to see that. Pre-covid we did not have enough workers available for this to happen.

Thank you
Kevin

Last edited by BIGGERED; 05/04/20 12:10 PM.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: BIGGERED] #2771086
05/04/20 01:08 PM
05/04/20 01:08 PM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Originally Posted by BIGGERED

There is much here to dissect but consider the following.

-Double digits of Americans polled believe we created the virus!

-I've had my "essential" industrial business open for the whole duration. Sales are down at least 80%. If I owned a restaurant I would anticipate a similar drop once they reopen. You wont catch me at the barber in 2020. Haven't worn a pony tail in 25 years but its back.

-We could have reacted faster as a nation but chose not to. You decide why.

-In terms of manufacturing coming back. We all would love to see that. Pre-covid we did not have enough workers available for this to happen.

Thank you
Kevin

Double digits could be as low as 10%, or as high as 99%.

Barber shop? I'll be back as soon as appointment requirements are dropped, cause, I'm strictly a walk in type of guy.

As soon as my favorite restaurant is back open for inside biz, I'll be there.

If that makes me seem callous, so be it. If that makes others seem to be fear mongering, so be it.
They'll get over it. Or not.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: srt] #2771094
05/04/20 01:37 PM
05/04/20 01:37 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Originally Posted by srt
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Because there's two sides.

Appears it's become way to easy for some to classify people by checking box a or b.
It's wise to take this time as an opportunity to take a hard look at what is really important.
Way more than two sides and different variables.

Kudos to you, Sir. You expressed yourself in the manner in which I intended to do.
Thanks for the common sense response. ;-)

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2771108
05/04/20 02:36 PM
05/04/20 02:36 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Good time for me to knock out a number of carbon fiber projects, nobody around to bother me, I wear a full haz mat suit, n-95 mask and goggles. I needed another gallon of the high speed epoxy hardener, which is nice when doing small items and time is of the essence. I had intended to pass by an WPB composite supplier this week when out on other errands, so I called today to ask if it was in stock, and to have it on will call, since they are rather odd about walk ins in the past.

I have bought from them for years, and spent a lot of money with them.

I tell the woman today on the phone, I want a single gallon of 4:1 hardener, can I pick it up this week? Understand, one normally doesn't mix brands of epoxy, and that by deduction means, I have at least 4 gals of epoxy resin that needs this hardener of their unique brand.

She says they are not allowing currently PU's, shipping only.

I say, I will pay for it by CC over the phone, can you just open the door and put it outside when I pull up outside?

"No, we can't let anybody inside"

I don't want to go inside, why can't you just put it outside on the step?

"those are the rules"

This is a single location material supplier.

I guess some places are not hurting for business.

I'll just go back to my 3:1 hardener sitting on my shelf and spend a little more free time on Moparts while I wait for the epoxy to harden . biggrin

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2771118
05/04/20 03:04 PM
05/04/20 03:04 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by srt

Really? I don't think so.

Of course, the priority right now needs to be to deal with it and get it under control while limiting the damage to the economy and people's lives.

After that, we need to be deal with the people who caused this and make sure it doesn't happen again. What ever it takes. No excuses. No nicey-nice. No negotiation. Fix it. Disconnect. Kick to the curb. Pull everything out.

The actions of the Chinese, that are slowly coming to light, need to be made public so that everyone knows the kind of savages we've been dealing with. They may or may not have deliberately released the agent, but they damn sure deliberately withheld critical information in order to horde medical supplies and put themselves in a more favorable position. Their actions directly and intentionally caused hundreds of thousands of deaths around the world, wrecked economies. And if we allow it, benefited themselves greatly with this.

They threatened to cut off critical supplies - supplies that we should be making here - because we were being mean to them. They blamed to US military for causing this. They engaged in shady dealings and shakedowns around the world to profit from this crisis. They are threatening their neighbors militarily. They are unremorseful, unwilling to accept any blame. They are criminals on a huge scale.

Water under the bridge my rearend. They need to be treated like the dirty, 3rd world craphole that they are by every civilized country in the world. Damn the cheap crap.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2771121
05/04/20 03:12 PM
05/04/20 03:12 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by 360view
No one should be expected to have anywhere near perfect 20/20 hindsight.

In hindsight, trailers and RV’s should have been taken to Nursing Homes and staff should have been paid 24 hour pay to completely isolate. This one policy would have saved the most deaths and suffering.
Except in NY, where the nursing homes were forced to take Covid-19 positive residents back. In what was undoubtedly the most idiotic decision of this entire pandemic!! When this is all over I would like to see the figures for old people KILLED, after the forced entry of Covid positive & untested residents, into NY nursing homes.

NYC should have closed subways, metro trains and buses, and instituted social distancing sooner.
At the very least those "in charge" should not have been ENCOURAGING subway use!!

USA citizens below age 40 with no co-morbidities should have social distanced but continued to run the US economy on overtime.
Yes! iagree

As a “national defense” measure we need government funded bunker style hospitals under the command of the Surgeon General with large numbers of ICU beds and equipment on standby and supplies in stockpiles. Terrorists and hostile governments have watched all this.
They did set them up where they were requested... most went largely unused

We DO NOT have enough food stockpiled.
Governments 5000 years ago understood food stockpiling better than present day governments!
The movement towards "Fresh Organic food", worked against the nation in this case.
As did the streamlining of supply chains, where warehouses are no longer stocked with a multi-month supply

In-line above ^^^

Hindsight is always clearer... hopefully people use it to better prepare for the next time.
But times being what they are... it will just be used by each side as talking points to attack the other. frown

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: moparx] #2771125
05/04/20 03:26 PM
05/04/20 03:26 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Originally Posted by moparx