jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Originally Posted by jcc
New CDC info.

Notice that the flu was killing far more people than the virus until the end of March and that the flu is still killing more people than the virus in some areas. And it is also important to note that the criteria to define a death as 'Covid related' is very broad.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...g-the-death-rate-for-covid-19-heres-why/

A big part of the reason for the virus' rapid spread is because most of those infected (60% to 80%) show little to no symptoms. Compare that to the flu. And the mortality rate is not level across all ethnicities. But if you are a white middle aged person with no underlying health issues, the mortality rate is well below 1%. Just how far below may never be known because of inadequate testing and selection bias.

I am really confused, there are currently 56,000+ dead in in the US alone 6 weeks, and we are debating the fatality percentages in single digits?

I fail to see how this matters, I thought most thought EVERY SINGLE life was important, and mattered, not percentages? Why is it important, other then reducing the death toll to zero?

Confused, huh? And you really don't know why the mortality rate matters?

Because the United States economy has been thrown into reverse. They are printing money faster than ever before which devalues ALL of the money already in circulation. Because people's financial lives are being destroyed. Suicides and domestic emergencies are rising. And on and on.............

You readily accept this 56,000 number that is being thrown around without having any idea how that number was arrived at. That is the point of the two links. This virus does kill people and there are certainly those that should take pertinent precautions, same as any bad flu season. But the data that is coming in does not show that this virus presents enough of a danger to enough of the population at large to justify the very real damage that is being done.

Stop and think for a moment what is going to happen if the United States is all but shut down every time a virus or influenza comes along that can kill less than 1% of the population. That scenario would play out every couple of years because there have recently been several flues that were just as virulent as this virus, if not even more so.

That is why the real data matters and is important.

Yup, now I am confused why you think it matters to need to debate the death rate.

Your above reasoning just seems very self centered, it's rather common nowadays.

Never said it was not important, or inconsequential, bur debating it at minute percentage accuracy rates, when over 50K have died, is rather callous, IMO.

And if you still are passing this event off as another "flu season", we have diametrically opposed value systems, and I have little confusion about that..

Last edited by jcc; 04/28/20 07:33 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2769235
04/28/20 07:36 PM
04/28/20 07:36 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
I’m 32 miles from Pittsburgh Pa and two people have died in my county. Probably more have died from jaywalking.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769236
04/28/20 07:38 PM
04/28/20 07:38 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
I swear some of you guys have zero life except for Coronavirus. Gloom and doomers. Get a hobby or a dog or cat.

I confess, I wear a seat belt, because I am concerned about the driving proficiency of the other driver.

Silly me. grin

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769238
04/28/20 07:39 PM
04/28/20 07:39 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Ohhh my sister lives in Sebring Florida and I think they are around 4 people dead.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769242
04/28/20 07:42 PM
04/28/20 07:42 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Well oddly IMO. Florida just had its highest daily COVID death toll, while we are "opening back up". They do report though the COVID hospital admissions(?) are trending down.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2769244
04/28/20 07:47 PM
04/28/20 07:47 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by jcc
Well oddly IMO. Florida just had its highest daily COVID death toll, while we are "opening back up". They do report though the COVID hospital admissions(?) are trending down.

It’s probably posted somewhere in this post but did you ever see the different rates hospitals get for different illnesses. And you really think we are getting the truth and nothing but the truth.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769268
04/28/20 08:49 PM
04/28/20 08:49 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Originally Posted by jcc

It’s probably posted somewhere in this post but did you ever see the different rates hospitals get for different illnesses. And you really think we are getting the truth and nothing but the truth.

All hospitals are loosing there buts now.. they make money on selective surgeries..
and they are covered by insurance.. all the covet
19 is basically free
wave

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2769273
04/28/20 08:58 PM
04/28/20 08:58 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by jcc
New CDC info.

Notice that the flu was killing far more people than the virus until the end of March and that the flu is still killing more people than the virus in some areas. And it is also important to note that the criteria to define a death as 'Covid related' is very broad.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/COVID19/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020...g-the-death-rate-for-covid-19-heres-why/

A big part of the reason for the virus' rapid spread is because most of those infected (60% to 80%) show little to no symptoms. Compare that to the flu. And the mortality rate is not level across all ethnicities. But if you are a white middle aged person with no underlying health issues, the mortality rate is well below 1%. Just how far below may never be known because of inadequate testing and selection bias.

I am really confused, there are currently 56,000+ dead in in the US alone 6 weeks, and we are debating the fatality percentages in single digits?

I fail to see how this matters, I thought most thought EVERY SINGLE life was important, and mattered, not percentages? Why is it important, other then reducing the death toll to zero?

Confused, huh? And you really don't know why the mortality rate matters?

Because the United States economy has been thrown into reverse. They are printing money faster than ever before which devalues ALL of the money already in circulation. Because people's financial lives are being destroyed. Suicides and domestic emergencies are rising. And on and on.............

You readily accept this 56,000 number that is being thrown around without having any idea how that number was arrived at. That is the point of the two links. This virus does kill people and there are certainly those that should take pertinent precautions, same as any bad flu season. But the data that is coming in does not show that this virus presents enough of a danger to enough of the population at large to justify the very real damage that is being done.

Stop and think for a moment what is going to happen if the United States is all but shut down every time a virus or influenza comes along that can kill less than 1% of the population. That scenario would play out every couple of years because there have recently been several flues that were just as virulent as this virus, if not even more so.

That is why the real data matters and is important.

Yup, now I am confused why you think it matters to need to debate the death rate.

Your above reasoning just seems very self centered, it's rather common nowadays.

Never said it was not important, or inconsequential, bur debating it at minute percentage accuracy rates, when over 50K have died, is rather callous, IMO.

And if you still are passing this event off as another "flu season", we have diametrically opposed value systems, and I have little confusion about that..

Attacking me as self centered is a non-starter. We are classified as an 'essential' business and are running slower than usual, but no big deal. We are not applying for loans or anything like that, so continuing the lock down doesn't have the impact on us that it is having on so many others.

Your blind acceptance of the HUGE number of people reported to have succumbed to this virus is YOUR problem. As I said before, the reason for the links I posted is to show that there is debate as to how the numbers are calculated.

Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

The REAL numbers matter. The decimal points are the difference between everyone going to work and play, and everyone sheltering in place while they risk loosing much of what they have worked for. You have wrapped your mind around the 50,000 number. What if the real number was half that? Would you still destroy the economy in response?

According to the CDC, "While the impact of flu varies, it places a substantial burden on the health of people in the United States each year. CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010." https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

Even with the likely inflated morbidity rate of this Coronavirus, it has not yet reached the level of some recent flu years. Why didn't we shut the country down then? Why is it wrong to debate at what point we should all huddle in our homes, scared to go out in the public?

I'll ask again, what will happen to us and our economy and our country if we from now on shut America down anytime a flu or virus kills anywhere near 1% of those infected? That already happens every few years. And you are afraid to even consider those consequences.

Master, again and still
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2769275
04/28/20 09:01 PM
04/28/20 09:01 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by MR_P_BODY
Originally Posted by jcc

All hospitals are loosing there buts now.. they make money on selective surgeries..
and they are covered by insurance.. all the covet
19 is basically free
wave

Free are you kidding. They are receiving big money for corona patients from the government

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769278
04/28/20 09:06 PM
04/28/20 09:06 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
If and I say if.. they would get a base price per.. thats not there money maker.. my son works at a hospital
wave

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 360view] #2769283
04/28/20 09:16 PM
04/28/20 09:16 PM
Long Island, NY
70plymA34 Offline
super stock
70plymA34  Offline
super stock

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by 360view
ER doctor in the Bronx on what he saw, and what he believes should be done next:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-w...-and-i-say-its-time-to-start-opening-up/

I am not knocking this doctor or what he is saying but he leaves out some key points. One key point is that Loads of sick people are still dying in there homes never making it to a hospital, therefore keeping the new admissions of critical patients down.

The way things are is if you find your sick loved one unresponsive and call for an ambulance, the first responders will give life sustaining care (CPR, meds, Defibrillation etc.). This patient care is given for 20 minutes and if they can get you back you go to the hospital for further care. If they can't get the person back they are pronounced dead right in their home. If the patient has obvious signs of death (dep. lividity, decomposition, etc) when the ambulance or fire crew arrives then they are pronounced immediately. The sad part is that the medical examiners office is still backed up so the families end up waiting hours and in extreme cases a day or more with their deceased loved one in their residence before they are removed. I guess the 20 minute rule is better than what the NYSDOH wanted to enact "No pulse-no patient care". Thank god that protocol was not followed in NYC and hopefully no where else in the state either.

Another point this doctor mentioned was that most people are avoiding the healthcare system reducing new admissions. Well he is DAMN right. The hospitals in NYC are the last places i want to be in this climate. When you have our great doctors and nurses not adequately protected, then what the hell do you think could possibly happen to you. Plenty of cancer patients and others with compromised immune systems under care in the hospitals caught this and guess what, most are in bad shape or GONE....

Don't brag but be grateful if your towns and cities had a minimal infection rate and/or death rate. It sucks that everything is shutdown and a lot of people in places not seriously affected have had there livelihoods turned upside down. I do feel for you. I know for NY its gonna be a slow reopening when the time comes. Im not rushing to go to any of my favorite spots anytime soon.

Last edited by 70plymA34; 04/28/20 09:18 PM.

Super Commando
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2769284
04/28/20 09:19 PM
04/28/20 09:19 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
If and I say if.. they would get a base price per.. thats not there money maker.. my son works at a hospital
wave

Exactly, what they are getting for what they have to put out is chump change. I can certainly see why the hospitals have an incentive to label a death corona virus death but if they had it what is to say it wasn't the virus that killed them? Just where do all these people get their Face Book degrees?

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: 70plymA34] #2769287
04/28/20 09:29 PM
04/28/20 09:29 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by 70plymA34
Originally Posted by 360view
ER doctor in the Bronx on what he saw, and what he believes should be done next:

https://nypost.com/2020/04/27/ive-w...-and-i-say-its-time-to-start-opening-up/

I am not knocking this doctor or what he is saying but he leaves out some key points. One key point is that Loads of sick people are still dying in there homes never making it to a hospital, therefore keeping the new admissions of critical patients down.

The way things are is if you find your sick loved one unresponsive and call for an ambulance, the first responders will give life sustaining care (CPR, meds, Defibrillation etc.). This patient care is given for 20 minutes and if they can get you back you go to the hospital for further care. If they can't get the person back they are pronounced dead right in their home. If the patient has obvious signs of death (dep. lividity, decomposition, etc) when the ambulance or fire crew arrives then they are pronounced immediately. The sad part is that the medical examiners office is still backed up so the families end up waiting hours and in extreme cases a day or more with their deceased loved one in their residence before they are removed. I guess the 20 minute rule is better than what the NYSDOH wanted to enact "No pulse-no patient care". Thank god that protocol was not followed in NYC and hopefully no where else in the state either.

Another point this doctor mentioned was that most people are avoiding the healthcare system reducing new admissions. Well he is DAMN right. The hospitals in NYC are the last places i want to be in this climate. When you have our great doctors and nurses not adequately protected, then what the hell do you think could possibly happen to you. Plenty of cancer patients and others with compromised immune systems under care in the hospitals caught this and guess what, most are in bad shape or GONE....

Don't brag but be grateful if your towns and cities had a minimal infection rate and/or death rate. It sucks that everything is shutdown and a lot of people in places not seriously affected have had there livelihoods turned upside down. I do feel for you. I know for NY its gonna be a slow reopening when the time comes. Im not rushing to go to any of my favorite spots anytime soon.

If someone gave me a beautiful house in that area I wouldn’t even go to see it. I would have it appraised and it would be for sale ASAP. Not the lifestyle I care to live.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: pittsburghracer] #2769288
04/28/20 09:32 PM
04/28/20 09:32 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Speaking of Coronavirus did anyone get their stimulus check yet. Still waiting here.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: MR_P_BODY] #2769292
04/28/20 10:02 PM
04/28/20 10:02 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
wave

An extra $38k bonus from the feds paid to hospitals for every person marked as "Death by Corona" is not Chump Change. There is little doubt that any person that was on the fence... (would have died anyway) but had the virus, is going to be marked Corona to collect the extra cash. From that alone, we will never have accurate numbers.

And not one person here has chimed in yet with a theory as to why people are dropping like flies in NYC with a population around 9million, yet Tokyo with a population of 37Million has almost none. Can't find a Tokyo specific number, but all of Japan only has 376 deaths as on 4/27, and that includes Tokyo. I realize people have been wearing masks there since the 2003 SARS outbreak... but that can't be the only reason. They shut down Air traffic from China after the US, and never shut down the economy.

1966 383, 4-sp Charger 38yrs
1970 440+6, 4-sp Road Runner 36yrs
1974 360, auto Challenger 25yrs,in Family 41yrs
2003 Ram 2500 QCLB 4x4 Cummins HO
2010 5.7L R/T 6sp Challenger - Mopar10
2018 392 Daytona Charger
Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: DaveRS23] #2769303
04/28/20 10:27 PM
04/28/20 10:27 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia

"Your above reasoning just seems very self centered"

Attacking me as self centered is a non-starter............

Your blind acceptance of the HUGE number of people reported to have succumbed to this virus is YOUR problem.

I commented on your "reasoning".

You will know when I "attacking" you, but I have so far, I believe, have the self control to abstain.

Your last line above indicates to me, I can't say the same for you.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2769304
04/28/20 10:28 PM
04/28/20 10:28 PM
Jefferson State
S
srt Offline
ESYC
srt  Offline
ESYC
S

Jefferson State
Reading all the back and forth about numbers is ruining this thread. There is no illusion. There is a pandemic at hand, and if we find a way to agree to disagree about insignificant differences we would be able to see and hear factual information and maintain hope the best people this country have are working to get us through. The banter about should we shut-down-or-not, mask-or-not, how many, snake oil, source, etc fills many pages and distracts from the business at hand. Do all we can do to beat this.
My roots run deep in this countrys history (pre rev war/gaspee, and fur trading). I know we are here today because we came with different ideas, yet sought to distance ourselves from one thing. It's too bad there are those that choose to destroy unifying concepts.
I've not posted much the past few days made a big push fo get garden in and beat back the weeds, burnt the last of prunings etc before may 1 burn ban. Today ventured out to do our monthly shopping trip (2 hr driving) and got to see slightly less than half the people sans masks nor practicing distancing. Why the heck do they want to risk getting ill, and more importantly would it be wrong to stay the heck out of my "safe area". They are obviously taking the lead of some mental giant. It's hard to lie, or wussy-foot about when one has integrity or good principals. There in not going to be an easy way out of this, the tide rise and fall. Let's hope a vaccine is not far out.
p.s. anyone want to fathom a guess on how accurate the spanish flu statistics were? How about covid? There is simply no way to tell. It will always be a hypothesis (scientific guess based on facts).
p.p.s - i cannot wait to become that hee haw guy tomorrow, going to smoke up a brisket and will dream about the st louis ribs absent from the stores today.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2769305
04/28/20 10:29 PM
04/28/20 10:29 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Runner2go
wave

An extra $38k bonus from the feds paid to hospitals for every person marked as "Death by Corona" is not Chump Change. There is little doubt that any person that was on the fence... (would have died anyway) but had the virus, is going to be marked Corona to collect the extra cash. From that alone, we will never have accurate numbers.

And not one person here has chimed in yet with a theory as to why people are dropping like flies in NYC with a population around 9million, yet Tokyo with a population of 37Million has almost none. Can't find a Tokyo specific number, but all of Japan only has 376 deaths as on 4/27, and that includes Tokyo. I realize people have been wearing masks there since the 2003 SARS outbreak... but that can't be the only reason. They shut down Air traffic from China after the US, and never shut down the economy.

What do you mean, "an extra $38K bonus"?

$38K is about 6(?) hrs in ICU.

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: jcc] #2769312
04/28/20 10:49 PM
04/28/20 10:49 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Runner2go
wave

What do you mean, "an extra $38K bonus"?

$38K is about 6(?) hrs in ICU.

That is bonus cash from the FEDS (Like the extra $600wk unemployment) on top of the money they are already getting from whatever insurance the person has, be it private, company, obama care, medicaid or medicare... It's not like Insurance companies stopped paying. If someone has pneumonia in the hospital and dies there after 5-10days... they get paid "whatever" from the Insurance companies or gov med coverage.... But if the Hospital checks the "Covid-19" BOX... they get an EXTRA $38,000 from the Feds on top of whatever they would have gotten, had they just checked Pneumonia. The fact that NY Pneumonia & Flu cases all but disappeared the same time the Bonus Money took effect, pretty much proves the point... sure those cases drop every year in April... but they still average in the thousands per week, EVER single year... they NEVER drop to 143-193/wk as reported this year. eyes

Clearly they are checking the Covid box, and taking the bonus money on just about anyone that drops dead in NY

Re: The official Coronavirus thread [Re: Runner2go] #2769318
04/28/20 11:10 PM
04/28/20 11:10 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52