01/21/12 07:50 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline OP
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline OP
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

somebody please help this fellow Wayne how much bracket racing have you done?

I, honestly, haven't done a LOT......but I have won a bracket race with my GTS running it with the 4-speed and no tach (that was back in the early 90's and that was the only time I'd entered that car into a bracket race)......

I've also won another 7 or 8 bracket races in other automatic cars that ran in the high 11 to low 13 ET range, which probably doesn't sound real impressive, but the thing is I've entered in less than 15 bracket races my whole life.....

Last bracket race I ran in was about 2 years ago and Wade Metzinger put me on the trailer 1st round with a .501 light to my .510.........

Quote:

very small changes can affect the ET greatly.for instance the 1/2 pound of air pressure you mentioned can change the ET by .02, enough to load you on the trailer. missing a shift point can kill you. these are things I have seen many time over and over.

I was just trying to make a point that there isn't any HUGE ET gain or variation in making small changes (like .5LBS in tire pressure).....which is the same in using an O2.....

The relatively few times I've bracket raced, I've just tuned for max trap speed and then on race day I don't mess with the motor.......I've just concentrated on cutting a light and driving the stripe.....

Quote:

I like tools and very interested in the wide band as an additional tool. I guarantee you I could give someone a direction to go after using it a while. just some kind of idea. just like I can share tire pressure experience that I have learned over the years. if you can make a car repeat time after time with doing none of the above you should be doing big buck bracket racing and making a whole lot of money.

Quote:

I think the wide band is a great tool.I plan on getting one some day.

That's cool......I know you like to give me a hard time (and I like giving everyone a hard time ).....Like mentioned in a LOT of threads.........I also recommend jetting for best trap speed, which will usually end up in the high 11 to mid 12 AFR range.........and make sure there aren't any lean spikes/stumbles that show up......I ALWAYS set the idle mixture for best idle and don't even really care what the A/F is......the camshaft can make the O2 show extremely lean or rich.....

The O2 is an eye opener for anyone that knows very much about motors......

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... [Re: Big Squeeze] #1156907
01/21/12 08:23 PM
01/21/12 08:23 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Wayne you know I have huge respect for your knowledge,thats why I ask you questions.I figure if anyone knows you will. thats a pretty impressive record of wins with not a lot of seat time. I won the majority of my bracket races in 10 and 11 second cars. won quite a few in the dragster also. even won a bunch in a bone stock ranger pick up back in 86 when my race car was broke and couldn't afford to fix it.maybe some one will take some readings and post the numbers for a consistent bracket car. the reason I want to know is that I think they wont be what people look for. just my theory.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... [Re: Quicktree] #2730268
01/05/20 01:54 PM
01/05/20 01:54 PM
Louisiana
BiomedTechGuy Offline
BiomedTechGuy  Offline

Louisiana
I know I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but it was linked to me along with a few others.
I have a 70 V-code Roadrunner with a warmed over 440 6bbl, that runs strong.
One of the things I've added is a Innovate Motorsports dual wideband O2 sensor system, because I figured it would provide more information on the A/F ratio and overall direction the 3 Holley 2bbl carbs need to be tweaked to run their best.
I'm not having any problems with the overall performance, but I know that when the 3x2 Holley setup (Promax modded carbs) is tuned up they do a great job.
So I am another plus vote for wideband O2 sensors and a setup that allows for real time data via the gauge and data logging, and I think it will help improve the process of tuning the 6bbl.

Last edited by BiomedTechGuy; 01/05/20 01:55 PM.
Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... [Re: BiomedTechGuy] #2730373
01/05/20 07:42 PM
01/05/20 07:42 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
A great read for sure. Myself I grew up learning it old school in the 70's and still do not have an 02 on my 63 as I still mostly tune thw old way I learnt. But I do understand you cant beat technology and the 02 will tell you just what is going on. Course we use an 02 in my sons car since we added the Holley fuel inj. Some time down the road I should add the 02 setup to my 63 but I am very happy with how it runs now. Ron

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5