Moparts

The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor..........

Posted By: Big Squeeze

The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 04:10 PM

I didn't want to hijack another thread, so I'm starting this post to help people see the benefits of using an O2 sensor to tune for driveability...........

When tuning at the track without an O2 (or even with an O2), most everyone knows to start with the timing conservative, jet for maximum trap speed and then creep timing in until trap speed stops going up......

From past experience, I roughly know what WOT numbers to to shoot for so that's where I get it to before I ever go to the track..........

I was tuning a 6 pack last week.....actual 10.5 to 1 compression.....stock stroke 440.....exhaust manifolds........Dwayne Porter small hydraulic cam........brand new carbs that came with 62 jets in the center carb and a 6.5 power valve........

The VERY FIRST THING to do when doing any carb tuning is to find out what your motor wants for initial timing and curve the distributor.........This motor wanted 27* at idle and I set it up to have 36 total, all in by 3,000 and the timing doesn't start advancing until 1,000.......

Initially, I'd set all 6 idle mixture screws at 3/4 turn out.......which put the idle mixture in the low 12's..........

At cruise, it showed the A/F in the high 12's, which is a little richer than I thought this motor needed to be.........

At WOT A/F was in the low 11's with the stock metering plates............which is about 1.5 points richer than I where I thought it should be...........

While cruising.......when I slightly push on the pedal to speed up, the A/F went to mid 15's for a split second and then the Power Valve would open and richen it up into the low 13 to 1 range...........

When the end carbs would open while going WOT at low RPM, it had a pretty large bog.........

So, I busted all the carbs apart.........I put 60 jets in the center carb to lean it out a little at cruise......installed 85 jets into the end carbs for a starting point........installed a 10.5 Power Valve to get it to richen up sooner when slightly accelerating.........and went two spring steps stiffer on the secondaries to keep it from bogging.......

I put it all together and when I started it, fuel was gushing out of the vent of the front carb......so I pulled the needle and seat to check for trash and there wasn't any.....I put it back in and eye-balled about how much it had been sticking up past the top of the float bowl and locked it down.......I pulled the float bowl off and found that there were little marks on the floats where it had hit the jets I'd installed into the metering plates I'd modified to hold jets, so the jets had been holding the float down.......

I pulled the flat washers out from between the jets and plates to move the jets away from the float (I'd put those washers between the jet and metering plate because when the jet is screwed in, there isn't much room between the jet and the metering plate gasket)........

I button it all up and go for a test drive......Cruise A/F was 10.5 to 1.........the WOT bog was gone........it still had a small lean spike to about 14.0 to 1 when slightly accelerating but I couldn't feel it.......and WOT was now in the low 12's/high 11's.............

OK........I'd gone 2 jets smaller on the primaries and it's WAY richer now........and I've put the highest PV they make in it and it's still got a slight lean spike.........

I get back to the shop and check the float level on that front carb, which I should have done before I left ......I had to lower it a 1/4 turn to get it to where it needed to be........

I drive it again and the cruise was in the low 13's and the stumble from slightly accelerating is worse............

SO A 1/4 TURN ON THE FRONT FLOAT BOWL CHANGED THE CRUISE A/F FROM MID 10'S TO LOW 13'S ..........Think about that .........How would you guys that tune without one know that????

To fix the lean spike while slightly accelerating, I know it needs the end carbs leaned out and the center carb richened up so the cruise A/F stays the same.......and as some people know, the idle mixture screws have a significant effect on cruise A/F, especially when you have 6 idle mixture screws.......

So, I set all 6 idle mixture screws to about 5/8 of a turn out........change the primary jets from 60's to 65's........and go for a test drive.......Cruise is in the low 13's......WOT went from high 11's/low 12's to mid to high 12's and I didn't even change the secondary jets!!!.....and that's because I'd screwed all 6 idle mixture screws in about an 1/8 of a turn.... The slight lean spike is gone because the center carb is jetted up......and that's my stopping point........The car runs as smooth as glass......starts and idles with just a bump of the key........will blow the tires off from an idle while going WOT...no lean surges......no stumbles........you can't even feel when the end carbs open because it's so smooth......

Now, to tune it to it's maximum, I need to go to the track and jet the end carbs for maximum MPH.....or go to a chassis dyno and jet the end carbs for maximum HP.....

There is absolutely NO WAY you could figure all that out without an O2 sensor........I hope this helps guys understand the importance of using one.......and I do sell a video that covers this

BTW, I've got to give credit to Dwayne Porter....He's helped me a TON over the last 5-6 years when it comes to carb tuning and he's WAY ahead of me.......
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 04:28 PM

Great writeup
Posted By: 440Jim

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 04:59 PM

Nice write-up.
I agree that Dwayne Porter knows how to tune a carb.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 05:29 PM

Great post! I love tuning posts, I always love BradH's writing of his exploits as well. I'm 55 yrs old and feel I am still learning stuff reading posts like this.

Sheldon
Posted By: Thumperdart

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 06:50 PM

I must admit that my old jet reading seat of the pants tuning was WAY off before the wide band. I burned up hundreds of gallons in fuel, killed plugs and wore out my motors "guessing" about which direction to go. Prime example; my new combo...........WAY more power, completely blowing my tires off on my first pass(never before)and my afr`s were close on the street then we adjusted at the track although I have other carb related issues which we`ll figure out. Many ways to skin a cat and better tuners than myself can probably get by w/out one but not me and how many times do we read on here about someone hitting the track after a new motor or combo that runs SLOWER till they go back and try it again. My first time out on 3 year old tires and still got a new promising best w/WAY more to come. Not just the wide band but others watching how the car leaves and making the necessary changes to the suspension helps also...........
Posted By: dmking

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 06:55 PM

i agree the with out my wideband i would of not known the scoop was pressurizing my float bowls and making my car go crazy rich after about 100mph.
had you been jetting plugs only the end of the track would of been good and the launch would of been real lean jet wise.
mine has a datalogger built in so i get to see the accelerator pump effect on the lean spike at launch.
if this works i will have my logg file up. look at how rich ot goes from how lean it starts when i bang 3rd.

Attached picture 7018266-cecil1020run.JPG

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 07:44 PM

this is what i use. on my car it is ziptied where the radio goes.

Attached picture 7018351-IMG00877-20120114-1341.jpg
Posted By: BradH

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 08:24 PM

Quote:

SO A 1/4 TURN ON THE FRONT FLOAT BOWL CHANGED THE CRUISE A/F FROM MID 10'S TO LOW 13'S ..........Think about that ...

It doesn't make sense to me that such a small adjustment would make such a major change.
Posted By: Bob_Coomer

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 08:45 PM

wow, thats some eye opening data, this should really convince people to get a o2 setup...
Which brand setup are you using? Im guessing here that this is a wide band setup?
Posted By: Darryls-Demon

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 08:59 PM

I just bought a LM-2, infact Iam heading out to the garage right now to calibrate the O2 senser. Having the bunges welded in tomorrow.
I have two cars I can use it on and I think both cars will bentifit big time from using the wideband.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 09:09 PM

Quote:

I just bought a LM-2, infact Iam heading out to the garage right now to calibrate the O2 senser. Having the bunges welded in tomorrow.
I have two cars I can use it on and I think both cars will bentifit big time from using the wideband.

I just gone one as well. It's pretty eye opening for sure, I have a lot to learn now.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 11:04 PM

Good info
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/14/12 11:29 PM

I run my sixpaks at or close to 14.5 or leaner at part throttle cruise with the power valve closed, 12.5 to 13.3 at WOT This a pump gas street car that runs in the low tens corked up with the air cleaner on(K&N 4 inch tall element) Ain't sixpaks fun Try setting the outboard mixture screws at 1/8 to 1/2 turn out and then use the center mixrture screws to clean the idle up so it will idle at 13.8 AFR or leaner Leaner is meaner At least it keeps the plugs clean I had the AFR at 11.8 at part throttle cruise, it felt great but it did carbon up the plugs Getting the AFR clean and avoiding the bog is challenging on sixpaks What year and version carbs are you tuning on? I have a early set of CA 440 carbs and a newer set of the 1971 replacement carbs that are the -1 list #, they where horrible out of the box. I ended up making some splash vent tubes that stop a mild stumble(according to the playback tach) when the outboard would open up at 4400 RPM at the track, they would never stumbled on the street when they would open up
Posted By: BSB67

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 01:08 AM

Nice info...thanks

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 01:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

SO A 1/4 TURN ON THE FRONT FLOAT BOWL CHANGED THE CRUISE A/F FROM MID 10'S TO LOW 13'S ..........Think about that ...

It doesn't make sense to me that such a small adjustment would make such a major change.

I know........it freaked me out too........I called Porter to tell him what'd happened and he wasn't surprised at all..... The float level was a 1/4 turn too high which allowed it to suck fuel that much more easily.......

Quote:

What year and version carbs are you tuning on?

They're brand new and my customer bought them through the local Dodge Dealer.......

Quote:

when the outboard would open up at 4400 RPM at the track, they would never stumbled on the street when they would open up

Well, part of the issue with this car is it's got 3.55 gears and a stock converter........a loose converter covers up bogs that would normally be there.......

Quote:

Which brand setup are you using? Im guessing here that this is a wide band setup?

It's just an LM-1.........works great and I've used it a BUNCH.......I wish I'd have bought one when they first came out......would have saved me a LOT of money and headache!! lol

Quote:

I must admit that my old jet reading seat of the pants tuning was WAY off before the wide band. I burned up hundreds of gallons in fuel, killed plugs and wore out my motors "guessing" about which direction to go.........

Yeah, I hear you.......I just thought I knew how to tune until I hooked up my O2.....

I bought mine about 5-6 years ago.......On the first two cars I used it on, I couldn't believe how much I learned and how much better I could get the driveability.........It's by far the best money I've ever spent on any tool.......especially since I do so many street driven cars.......I bet I've tuned over 80 cars with it since I've bought it.........
Posted By: Leigh

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 01:48 AM

Years ago (1980), I was talking with a racer about an eclusive custom 4779, and the builder said to try and leave the jet alone, and tune it with float level. I guess Braswell was right.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 01:49 AM

Great thread,Wayne!! Thanks!!
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 03:52 AM

Im hopefully going to own one by spring!
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 04:37 AM

Quote:

Great thread,Wayne!! Thanks!!

Good read
Posted By: cheapstreetdustr

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 05:32 AM

I got an Lm1 a few yrs ago...its so difineative.
you will know immeditealy what your change did.
You can nail down a base line then move from it in any direction....
You especially can confirm what direction the change made..and by how much.
I ended up making quite a few changes from what," i thought should have been a good %"..
It gave good seat of the pants drivebility, I could have stopped right there..
but,, on track i found better et and mph...with a few additional changes...this was contrary to what i thought was good..
For my situation the car liked to be a little richer out of the hole and it showed in a better 60ft.
Anyway,you confirm and or move back if it doesnt relate to the time slip.
you can also find some funny things that make the car et..and lauch better..
you log the data...it takes soooOO much frustration out...
i love it...
i also love drive shaft speed and the data logging of shift points...and over lapping graphs from one pass to another...
but thats another story.
chepast
Posted By: justinp61

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 03:49 PM

Thanks Wayne .
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 11:38 PM

the most amazing part of the story is that six packs have staggered jetting stock and 85 jets make the A/F perfect in every cylinder

the float bowl check screws are higher on the outboards already, so i can see the float making a big difference if it was to high

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

the most amazing part of the story is that six packs have staggered jetting stock and 85 jets make the A/F perfect in every cylinder .........

I never said WOT was perfect.....and STOCK the jetting was the SAME front and rear..... Like I said.....to tune it to it's maximum, I need to go to the track and jet it for best MPH..... but, driveability is AWESOME.........and I've got a STOCK intake, unlike the stuff you've been messing with , which I'm SURE won't need as huge of a jet spread as you have to run ....I also did stagger jet them one number from side to side, similar to stock, but didn't want to get into that in this thread.....

The Oxygen Sensor is JUST a tool......just like a timing light.......Yes, you can tune without one, but having one gets you there a LOT quicker.......

Here's a pic of the car for those interested.......The owner (Lonnie) bought it in '74 and it's an original Six Pack car..........His friend owned the car and blew the original motor up street racing it one night, so they yanked it and traded the local Dodge Salvage for a running 383 which they installed......Lonnie bought it with the 383 in it for $1,200......In '92 he installed a stock 440 4-barrel and it's been that way until I got it and rebuilt the motor and installed the Six Pack......

Attached picture 7020484-IMG_6435small.jpg

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/15/12 11:58 PM

Motor shot........Car's been repainted once about 20 years ago......

Attached picture 7020499-IMG_6437small.jpg
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 12:04 AM

that car is to pretty to take to the track

Wayne, just givng you crap

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 12:22 AM

Quote:

that car is to pretty to take to the track

Wayne, just givng you crap

Thanks......I know......
Posted By: scatpacktom

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 04:33 AM

I bought a LM1 when they were new on the market and I just love it. All these guys that tune "by ear/hocus pocus/black magic" or whatever would get a real eye opener if they had the data right in front of them.

Hands down one of the best tools I have bought in the last ten years.

Nice write up Wayne. I know it is very rewarding to put the razor tune on

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 05:11 AM

Quote:

I bought a LM1 when they were new on the market and I just love it. All these guys that tune "by ear/hocus pocus/black magic" or whatever would get a real eye opener if they had the data right in front of them.

Hands down one of the best tools I have bought in the last ten years.

Nice write up Wayne. I know it is very rewarding to put the razor tune on

I LOVE it.......The owner of this particular car was around the whole time I did all the tuning.....He had no idea how much is really involved with doing it the right way......We had the carbs off probably ten times between getting the idle mixture right and all of the tuning......

He came out and drove it again today......came back smiling from ear to ear .....He saw how it ran before and after tuning and saw all the changes I made and why and has a HUGE appreciation for what's involved now......
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 05:24 AM

I installed a racepak and dash over the summer in the Duster when I installed the new 408 engine. Made a pass and checked the O2 readings and made a jet change. Next pass new best and after checking the readings made another jet change. Next pass new best and readings were close so I tried on more jet. Slowed down next pass and the readouts showed I went one to far. Whet back to the second 2nd time trial jetting and ran perfect. The next weekend we ran another new best. My only problem is that once you get spoiled by all the info you never go back so I will probably buy another racepak setup for the Daytona when it hits the track again.
Posted By: deaks

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 11:17 PM

I have just bought an A/F gauge for my race car but i'm thinking of buying a street car this year and wondered if the bungs can be bought separately and if i can get caps to screw in, so i can swap it from one car to another.
Mick

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 11:29 PM

Quote:

I have just bought an A/F gauge for my race car but i'm thinking of buying a street car this year and wondered if the bungs can be bought separately and if i can get caps to screw in, so i can swap it from one car to another.
Mick

I bought extra bungs and plugs from Summite.
Posted By: deaks

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/16/12 11:33 PM

Thanks John
Sorry for the hijack.
Mick

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 12:46 AM

Quote:

Mick

That's exactly what I do......but I have the local muffler shop install the bungs since they have them in stock.....They charge me $10 per car......
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 02:05 AM

Good read Wayne...When i get my t/a going after sitting for 5 years i'll bring it to you for the razor tune....

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 02:21 AM

Quote:

Good read Wayne...When i get my t/a going after sitting for 5 years i'll bring it to you for the razor tune....

We can do it, Gary ......Which car are you talking about?

You will LOVE it on Silverfish.....
Posted By: Gary Robbins

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 02:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

We can do it, Gary ......Which car are you talking about?

You will LOVE it on Silverfish.....

I've got a Panther Pink(FM3)70 T/A that i've owned since 1978...The car has been sitting for about 5-6 years after we got serious with SILVERFISH...My wife has been on my a$$ to get it back running as we've had this car before we had kids(Scott's 31)and hauled them everywhere in this car...Lots of memories related to this car like Scott driving it to his high school prom etc.etc...
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 03:13 PM

Do they still sell the LM-1? I only found the LM-2 on the innovate website.

Is yours a dual O2 sensor unit? Where do the bung(s) go in the exhaust?

Can you explain the LM-1 unit a little better? I have heard of them but I would like to get more familiar with one.

Any tips?

Are there other companys?

It's it a handheld unit that you can interchange from vehicle to vehicle? Just weld in new bungs..

Inquiring minds want to know!!! hahaha
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 04:51 PM

Nice thread, the float adjustment comment threw me for a loop also, but the results speak for themselves.

I bought the FAST display awhile back, and while definitely more caveman than the lm1, it was definitely enough to show me I've got a way to go yet in the tuning department for anything other than idle, WOT and accelerator pump.
Really need to put more time into it.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 06:26 PM

Quote:

I've got a Panther Pink(FM3)70 T/A that i've owned since 1978...The car has been sitting for about 5-6 years after we got serious with SILVERFISH...My wife has been on my a$$ to get it back running as we've had this car before we had kids(Scott's 31)and hauled them everywhere in this car...Lots of memories related to this car like Scott driving it to his high school prom etc.etc...

Cool......Yeah, I saw a pic of it you'd posted on Josh's board.....

Quote:

Do they still sell the LM-1? I only found the LM-2 on the innovate website.

Honestly, I don't know.....but I'm guessing not.....I also have an LM-2 that Innovate gave me when I did my Engine Tuning DVD......... I just use it as my backup in case something happens with the LM-1.....I just drive around with it laying in the passenger seat....

Quote:

Is yours a dual O2 sensor unit? Where do the bung(s) go in the exhaust?

Mine is just single.....I put the bung in the exhaust right about where the front cooler line for the transmission is, on the same side of the car as the battery.....

Quote:

Can you explain the LM-1 unit a little better? I have heard of them but I would like to get more familiar with one.

Any tips?

Are there other companys?

It's it a handheld unit that you can interchange from vehicle to vehicle? Just weld in new bungs..

Inquiring minds want to know!!! hahaha

It's basically just a handheld O2 sensor that spits out a number that you can watch while driving down the road.....You can also do a recording if you want and play it back on your computer, but I've never used that function......

Yes, you can move it from car to car, which is what I do......

Yes, there are other companies, but I've had good luck with Innovate and they seem to be the largest company selling them......

The thing to remember is that it's still JUST a tool......JUST like a timing light, it can't do any tuning for you......it can only tell you what the AVERAGE A/F is in that pipe from those 4 cylinders....

It's not like the average guy can just bolt it on, see what it says, and then know exactly what to do to get the motor to where it wants to be.....You still have to have a REALLY good understanding of carbs to use it to it's potential........which is another reason why I always recommend Dwayne Porter for doing your heads and camshaft....He can walk you through how to tune it and help you get the most out of your combo.....I've spent a LOT of time on the phone with him picking his brain and he's always been more than helpful..... It may cost a little in shipping to send heads to Vermont, but you get his wealth of knowledge for free and HE always answers the phone or calls you right back.....

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 08:33 PM

Thanks!!! One more question. Do you put bungs in both pipes and tune each bank? Or do you just go off of one side of the engine?

Dewayne is only 6 hours away from me and I spoke to him before, great guy.

Ryan J (Shady Dell) built my motor but I am looking to get the most out of it.

Thanks,
Jeff
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 08:37 PM

Anyone have any thoughts about the viability of results taken from an H or X pipe? Would an H pipe reduce the ability to see if the carb needed different jets side to side?

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 08:43 PM

Quote:

Thanks!!! One more question. Do you put bungs in both pipes and tune each bank? Or do you just go off of one side of the engine?

I bought the LM1 for on the car tuning and later bought the FAST unit for dyno tuning. Had problems with the FAST the first time I used it, return it to FAST under warrenty and they fix it FOC I treid switching the LM1 sensor from side to side and then compared the readings on the laptop, that will work and I did see that the right side ran different AFR than the left side I ended up buying the LC1 add on kit and hooked it up to the LM1 so I can read both sides at the same time I still see a difference on the two sides, time to start adjusting the jetting to get them even

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 09:23 PM

Quote:

Dewayne is only 6 hours away from me and I spoke to him before, great guy.

Ryan J (Shady Dell) built my motor but I am looking to get the most out of it.

Thanks,
Jeff

I've put bungs in both sides and there, typically, isn't a huge difference, especially if you have a good, single plane intake......Thing is, you can read both sides, but as long as it runs and drives nicely and the numbers aren't WAY off side to side, it's not worth worrying about IMHO unless you're tuning it on a dyno and trying to get every last ounce out of it.....

I want the car to drive around and feel completely smooth while transitioning from idle, to part throttle, to WOT at whatever rate and vehicle speed I put my foot down.......If it feels smooth, you're really close, if not right on the money, to where it wants to be.....

Since Ryan did your motor, I'm sure it'll run great and I KNOW he can help you tune it better than I can.....
Posted By: chargerron69

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 09:32 PM

Posted By: 67dodge67

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/17/12 09:36 PM

Quote:

Anyone have any thoughts about the viability of results taken from an H or X pipe? Would an H pipe reduce the ability to see if the carb needed different jets side to side?

I was wondering the same thing here. According to the local shop I go to, they say putting it in the h-pipe will give a reliable reading and then go from there as far as tuning. But... has anyone else done the same here? Great thread...

Dave

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/18/12 08:04 PM

Thanks for the info!!!!
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/18/12 10:25 PM

I tuned all last Spring/Summer/Fall with a wideband sensor and I quickly found out what I "thought" I knew. There were tuning errors on my part that I could not see until I started using the sensor. I now know the knowledge gained my using one of these sensors.

A buddy of mine has a carb that he wants me to help him tune. I am already dreading going over there to help him when I know that he does not have a wideband on his car. I am thinking of taking my backup carb and tuning it on my motor (just the basics: Idle/Cruising/WOT) and then letting him put it on his motor. This would probably be allot closer than me "winging it" with the setup that he currently has on his motor.
Posted By: Von

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/18/12 11:34 PM

I have a LM-2 and it has been priceless....

I bought the LM unit a few months after I got my junk back on the road after it sat for 15 years. Played with the LM, tuning, etc and the car ran quicker on its first pass off of the trailer than I was hoping it would go when sorted out. No doubt the LM unit was the reason...sure wasnt me...

I played around with E85 for awhile and it would have been dang hard to have tuned the carb without the LM unit...
Posted By: Quicktree

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 12:20 AM

OK any real world bracket racing info with the wide band? I could care less about drive ability
Posted By: hemi-itis

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 12:38 AM

With all the O/2 sensors now on the market,it makes it hard to decide which one to get Does anyone still read EGT's??Which one is better?I have EGT bungs in my headers and use the pan evac that goes into the header collector,so where do I put the O/2 bungs?

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 01:03 AM

Quote:

With all the O/2 sensors now on the market,it makes it hard to decide which one to get Does anyone still read EGT's??Which one is better?I have EGT bungs in my headers and use the pan evac that goes into the header collector,so where do I put the O/2 bungs?

For what we do, EGT's are basically useless.......They'll just tell you which hole is out.....

Here's some good info on EGT's.........

You can put the O2 sensor anywhere in the exhaust sysem, from the collector area all the way back to the tail pipe area........like mentioned, I put them somewhere around the transmission area.....

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 05:13 PM

Quote:

OK any real world bracket racing info with the wide band? I could care less about drive ability

no bracket racing info from anyone

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 06:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, before my chassis dyno I was stuck in the low 10`s then after finding out how lean my street tune up was and fixing it, I went 9.98..........Now that my new motor is tuned from REAL world info, I went 9.94 w/dead tires on a 1.44 60ft. compared to my 1.36 60`s.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 09:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The LM1 with the LC1 and RPM option help me see the motor go lean after the 1/8 mile with the .110 needles and seats in all the carbs.(four, three Dominators and one Holley 850 DP ) I tested on the car at the 1/4 mile track. Go test it I'm working on leaning out the part throttle circuits now on those same carbs

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 10:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The LM1 with the LC1 and RPM option help me see the motor go lean after the 1/8 mile with the .110 needles and seats in all the carbs.(four, three Dominators and one Holley 850 DP ) I tested on the car at the 1/4 mile track. Go test it I'm working on leaning out the part throttle circuits now on those same carbs

thats good, but kind of speed related. I am more interested in making one more consistent using the wide band. down here you almost have to run one lean to survive the daylight to dark scenario.
Posted By: can.al

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/19/12 10:24 PM

so what is the lean limit for cruise...14.5?
and yet to hear any preference. ie mxt,Lm 1 ??

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/20/12 12:34 AM

there are some that use the lm-1 but the lm-2 is better. i use the wego3 from daytona sensors.
i can not tell you what i run at lite load running on my car but street cars run 14.5 down the road and ritchen up to 13s when loading the engine hard.
a drag engine at 14 to 1 with forged pistons should be fine there but you need to make sure the gas is going to work that lean because you can get away with a lower octane fuel when running rich. (like 12.3 to 1 vs 14.5 to 1) with our cycles guys are running regular on a 12.5 bike but they are pig rich. the pent roof chambers are less prone to detonation i must add.
Posted By: YO7_A66

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/20/12 02:41 AM

""so what is the lean limit for cruise...14.5?""

That will depend on the setup. My 9.7:1 340 (no vacuum advance, 34 total, 91 0ctane/10%e) will cruise as lean as 15.4 with no surging. But 15.8-16.0 and it will start surging. I don't like to go leaner than about 15.2 to be safe. I am currently changing the ignition box and swapping to a vacuum advance distributor, so I will have to test the mid 15's again. But once again, it depends on the setup.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 03:38 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

thats good, but kind of speed related. I am more interested in making one more consistent using the wide band. down here you almost have to run one lean to survive the daylight to dark scenario.

OK......I'm going to TRY to explain this to you AGAIN.....but in a different way so MAYBE you'll understand.....

Do you absolutely NEED a timing light??? NO, because you could just time it by ear and then slowly put timing into your motor a small turn at a time until the trap speed stops picking up.........

Do you absolutely NEED a tire gauge??? NO, because you could just put air in the tires until they look about the same and then do some burnouts on dry pavement to figure out if you need more or less pressure in each tire........

Do you absolutely NEED an oil pressure gauge??? NO, because you could just run it with an idiot light, or no gauge at all......and if it spins a bearing or kicks a rod out, then you'll know it had an oil pressure problem....

Do you absolutely NEED an amp gauge or volt gauge??? NO, because you could know it's not charging by seeing that the headlights aren't as bright as they should be, or the battery is too low to crank the motor over.....

Do you absolutely NEED an angle finder to set pinion angle??? NO, you could just eyeball it and move it if it vibrates on deceleration or put more angle in it if you need more traction.....

Do you absolutely NEED a water temperature gauge??? NO, because you could just feel your cylinder heads by hand before you went up to make a lap......and as long as it's not puking water, odds are it's not runnnig hot......

Do you absolutely NEED a tachometer and/or shift light??? NO, because you could do EXACTLY like I do my 10 second 4-speed GTS and shift it by ear/feel........

AND do you absolutely NEED an O2 sensor??? NO, because you could do as most people do it........just set your floats.....set the idle mixture and run it......if it bogs, go to a bigger squirter and/or a bigger accelerator pump.......and if you're really feeling froggy, you can even change the jetting like very few actually do to get the most trap speed.........

The thing is, all EIGHT of those TOOLS are NOT needed......and they're all JUST tools........NONE of them tell you ANYTHING you HAVE to have.......

A timing light DOES NOT tell you how much timing you need........

A tire pressure gauge DOES NOT tell you how much tire pressure you need......

An oil pressure gauge DOES NOT tell you how much oil pressure you need.......

An amp gauge or volt meter DOES NOT tell you how much juice you need........

An angle finder DOES NOT tell you what angle the pinion needs to be......

A water temperature gauge DOES NOT tell you what you should run your water temperature at......

A tachometer and/or shift light DOES NOT tell you where you need to shift at.........

and an O2 sensor DOES NOT tell you what A/F ratio your motor needs to run at........and it can't tell you if you have an intake manifold with HORRIBLE air/fuel distribution, unless you put one in each header tube.........

Do you see the pattern here??

What do they ALL have in common?? They take a LOT of guess work out of this hobby and help you get to where you want to be a LOT faster.......

IMHO, EVERYONE that wants their car to run as good and consistant as possible NEEDS EVERY single one of those tools.......

BUT, you don't HAVE to have ANY of them.......

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 04:27 AM

Well said. I like that.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 05:09 AM

Quote:

Well said. I like that.

x-2

Some people need and you can only hope they smarten up.
Posted By: bigtimeauto

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 05:58 AM

Do we need the internet?

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:01 AM

Quote:

Do we need the internet?

There you go.......that's just another tool......and you've got to figure out what's good info.....and what's bad info, for yourself.....

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:08 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OK......I'm going to TRY to explain this to you AGAIN.....but in a different way so MAYBE you'll understand.....

Do you absolutely NEED a timing light??? NO, because you could just time it by ear and then slowly put timing into your motor a small turn at time until the trap speed stops picking up.........

Do you absolutely NEED a tire gauge??? NO, because you could just put air in the tires until they look about the same and then do some burnouts on dry pavement to figure out if you need more or less pressure in each tire........

Do you absolutely NEED an oil pressure gauge??? NO, because you could just run it with an idiot light, or no gauge at all......and if it spins a bearing or kicks a rod out, then you'll know it had an oil pressure problem....

Do you absolutely NEED an amp gauge or volt gauge??? NO, because you could know it's not charging by seeing that the headlights aren't as bright as they should be, or the battery is too low to crank the motor over.....

Do you absolutely NEED an angle finder to set pinion angle??? NO, you could just eyeball it and move it if it vibrates on deceleration or put more angle in it if you need more traction.....

Do you absolutely NEED a water temperature gauge??? NO, because you could just feel your cylinder heads by hand before you went up to make a lap......and as long as it's not puking water, odds are it's not runnnig hot......

Do you absolutely NEED a tachometer and/or shift light??? NO, because you could do EXACTLY like I do my 10 second 4-speed GTS and shift it by ear/feel........

AND do you absolutely NEED an O2 sensor??? NO, because you could do as most people do it........just set your floats.....set the idle mixture and run it......if it bogs, go to a bigger squirter and/or a bigger accelerator pump.......and if you're really feeling froggy, you can even change the jetting like very few actually do to get the most trap speed.........

The thing is, all EIGHT of those TOOLS are NOT needed......and they're all JUST tools........NONE of them tell you ANYTHING you HAVE to have.......

A timing light DOES NOT tell you how much timing you need........

A tire pressure gauge DOES NOT tell you how much tire pressure you need......

An oil pressure gauge DOES NOT tell you how much oil pressure you need.......

An amp gauge or volt meter DOES NOT tell you how much juice you need........

An angle finder DOES NOT tell you what angle the pinion needs to be......

A water temperature gauge DOES NOT tell you what you should run your water temperature at......

A tachometer and/or shift light DOES NOT tell you where you need to shift at.........

and an O2 sensor DOES NOT tell you what A/F ratio your motor needs to run at........and it can't tell you if you have an intake manifold with HORRIBLE air/fuel distribution, unless you put one in each header tube.........

Do you see the pattern here??

What do they ALL have in common?? They take a LOT of guess work out of this hobby and help you get to where you want to be a LOT faster.......

IMHO, EVERYONE that wants their car to run as good and consistant as possible NEEDS EVERY single one of those tools.......

BUT, you don't HAVE to have ANY of them.......

WOW......DAMN, Nothing like breaking it down to the "old skool" stubborn guys that are stuck in their ways. I couldn`t break it down or top that explination if I had to.........

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:23 AM

all of that is well said.
o2 can get you there in a lot less weekends but
you need to know where you want to be at and that
my friend is up to you messing with things and
using the o2 sensor to keep it there.

some run down the track in the lower 13s afr

some run down the track in the mid 12s afr

when you are close on my car changing it small
does not make much of a difference worth the messing around.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:27 AM

Quote:

all of that is well said.
o2 can get you there in a lot less weekends but
you need to know where you want to be at and that
my friend is up to you messing with things and
using the o2 sensor to keep it there.

some run down the track in the lower 13s afr

some run down the track in the mid 12s afr

when you are close on my car changing it small
does not make much of a difference worth the messing around.

Exactly........just like moving the timing 1 or 2 degrees, or changing the tire pressure a 1/2LB, or changing starting line water temp. 5 degrees either way, or raising or lowering the oil pressure 5PSI, or any of the other things mentioned.....doesn't really effect your ET very much......

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 08:30 AM

well gee thanks Wayne for breaking that down so I could understand it. looks like you really haven't applied to racing I was looking for before and after numbers that showed how using the wide band made a car more consistent.and what kind of numbers to look for.to much to ask for?

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 12:25 PM

Tony....I have seen guys use them in bracket racing. I do not have one but I think it would be a great tool to own!

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 01:36 PM

Quote:

Tony....I have seen guys use them in bracket racing. I do not have one but I think it would be a great tool to own!

no kidding be nice to hear what hey did to improve don't you think?

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 01:52 PM

Might have to ask around this spring..Hell....I don't even have a weather station!! Just a cheap temp/humidity gauge! I do like to keep a log book as best as I can...That is another tool for the track!

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 02:14 PM

thats why I was asking Wayne, thought maybe he had done that.but how dare someone to ask a race question

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 03:55 PM

Quote:

well gee thanks Wayne for breaking that down so I could understand it. looks like you really haven't applied to racing I was looking for before and after numbers that showed how using the wide band made a car more consistent.and what kind of numbers to look for.to much to ask for?

I can't tell you that, but I can probably get you in the ball park.........that's what you use the tool for.........I can't tell you how much tire pressure to run......I can only guess by knowing your wheel width and tire width, but you still need to lay some black marks on the pavement and let me analyze those first......and I can't tell you how much timing to run.....I can guess and get you close, but you're going to have to figure it out on your own, WHILE using the appropriate tools......

Quote:

Quote:

no kidding be nice to hear what hey did to improve don't you think?

Quote:

thats why I was asking Wayne, thought maybe he had done that.but how dare someone to ask a race question

OK.......How about instead of us giving you back to back results of how an O2 sensor makes our cars more consistant for bracket racing, YOU give us back to back results of how your car is MUCH more consistant while using a timing light, a tire pressure gauge, an oil pressure gauge, a volt meter, an angle finder, a water temperature gauge, and a tachometer......because I KNOW you use ALL those tools......

What you're asking is JUST as silly.....

It's EXACTLY the same!!!!

and don't even tell me a tach makes your car more consistant.....I've run EXACTLY 10.66 @ 127 at Tulsa, Oklahoma City and Columbus, Ohio with my stick car and it has NO tach and NO shift light......

I don't know what else to say......If you don't want to use a timing light, a tire pressure gauge, an oil pressure gauge, a volt meter, an angle finder, a water temperature gauge, or a tach, that's FINE .......it's up to you ......I'm not forcing you to use any of them.......

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 04:20 PM

somebody please help this fellow Wayne how much bracket racing have you done? very small changes can affect the ET greatly.for instance the 1/2 pound of air pressure you mentioned can change the ET by .02, enough to load you on the trailer. missing a shift point can kill you. these are things I have seen many time over and over.I like tools and very interested in the wide band as an additional tool. I guarantee you I could give someone a direction to go after using it a while. just some kind of idea. just like I can share tire pressure experience that I have learned over the years. if you can make a car repeat time after time with doing none of the above you should be doing big buck bracket racing and making a whole lot of money.
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:12 PM

I told Tony about my experience helping a friend out with one of the o2 sensors and the improvements the car made in consistency. Sometimes engines just seem to run better and more consistent when they aren't dragging from the bloated high 10 a/f's when on footbrake to 12's at WOT/upper rpm.

You're like clockwork crapping in threads like this about how it applies to bracket racing. I can ALWAYS count on you to dive in head first.

Go back and search the other threads you've asked the same question, you'll find my post about it.

Have a good one.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:18 PM

Quote:

I told Tony about my experience helping a friend out with one of the o2 sensors and the improvements the car made in consistency. Sometimes engines just seem to run better and more consistent when they aren't dragging from the bloated high 10 a/f's when on footbrake to 12's at WOT/upper rpm.

You're like clockwork crapping in threads like this about how it applies to bracket racing. I can ALWAYS count on you to dive in head first.

Go back and search the other threads you've asked the same question, you'll find my post about it.

Have a good one.

you did? if you did I don't recall it.I tell you what you can count on, well maybe not on this site I was hoping Wayne had done it and would share where he found problems and how thy related to being consistent.also do I have to tell you what you can dive in?
Posted By: RobX4406

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Have a good one.

you did? if you did I don't recall it.I tell you what you can count on, well maybe not on this site I was hoping Wayne had done it and would share where he found problems and how thy related to being consistent.also do I have to tell you what you can dive in?

I ain't diving into your pool... the cesspool...

Yes I did! Some people use an O2 with good results, others don't know what to do with it. Like many tools in any toolbox.

I'm sure the rings on my friends ride appreciated the better A/F's when staging and cruising around the pits. About the only time they weren't getting killed was at idle and full throttle once past the fat launch. He was seriously washing the things down. Weather condition played havoc with the 60's on the thing, especially when it was very cold in the morning and got real hot during the day. The car was not a .01 package deal but did get more consistent and picked up 60's.

Some guys I think need an O2 sensor installed in their head because they appear to lack oxygen to their brain.
Posted By: NITROUSN

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 06:47 PM

Quote:

Some guys I think need an O2 sensor installed in their head because they appear to lack oxygen to their brain.

Ouch......That left a mark..........

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 07:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have a good one.

I ain't diving into your pool... the cesspool...

Yes I did! Some people use an O2 with good results, others don't know what to do with it. Like many tools in any toolbox.

I'm sure the rings on my friends ride appreciated the better A/F's when staging and cruising around the pits. About the only time they weren't getting killed was at idle and full throttle once past the fat launch. He was seriously washing the things down. Weather condition played havoc with the 60's on the thing, especially when it was very cold in the morning and got real hot during the day. The car was not a .01 package deal but did get more consistent and picked up 60's.

I think the 02 would speed up the tuning time and save a bunch of laps.I could care less about driving around in the pits (unless it's fouling plugs etc)your friend should have picked up on it being fat by the way it changed from daylight till dark. I also think it would help you from track to track(DA if it's different) after you found out where the numbers need to be to run consistent (thats what I was trying to get from Wayne)just some kind of ball park idea what to look for on a consistent bracket car. I can definitely see the need or use for a street car where drive ability is more important.and if I had one of those smiley's giving you a bird you would have it.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 09:12 PM

quick did you see my post in the beginning of this with a log file from my wego3 afr /datalogger?
that scoop issue with the float bowls would of been hhard to find jetting for wide open and pulling a plug at the end of the track.

my car went from a 10.20 to craking the block running a 10.24 after a season of tuneing with the wego and timing.
that pass should of been atleast 10.13 had the block not split. so there is a tenth easy.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 11:03 PM

Quote:

quick did you see my post in the beginning of this with a log file from my wego3 afr /datalogger?
that scoop issue with the float bowls would of been hhard to find jetting for wide open and pulling a plug at the end of the track.

my car went from a 10.20 to craking the block running a 10.24 after a season of tuneing with the wego and timing.
that pass should of been atleast 10.13 had the block not split. so there is a tenth easy.

I think the wide band is a great tool.I plan on getting one some day.

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/21/12 11:50 PM

Quote:

somebody please help this fellow Wayne how much bracket racing have you done?

I, honestly, haven't done a LOT......but I have won a bracket race with my GTS running it with the 4-speed and no tach (that was back in the early 90's and that was the only time I'd entered that car into a bracket race)......

I've also won another 7 or 8 bracket races in other automatic cars that ran in the high 11 to low 13 ET range, which probably doesn't sound real impressive, but the thing is I've entered in less than 15 bracket races my whole life.....

Last bracket race I ran in was about 2 years ago and Wade Metzinger put me on the trailer 1st round with a .501 light to my .510.........

Quote:

very small changes can affect the ET greatly.for instance the 1/2 pound of air pressure you mentioned can change the ET by .02, enough to load you on the trailer. missing a shift point can kill you. these are things I have seen many time over and over.

I was just trying to make a point that there isn't any HUGE ET gain or variation in making small changes (like .5LBS in tire pressure).....which is the same in using an O2.....

The relatively few times I've bracket raced, I've just tuned for max trap speed and then on race day I don't mess with the motor.......I've just concentrated on cutting a light and driving the stripe.....

Quote:

I like tools and very interested in the wide band as an additional tool. I guarantee you I could give someone a direction to go after using it a while. just some kind of idea. just like I can share tire pressure experience that I have learned over the years. if you can make a car repeat time after time with doing none of the above you should be doing big buck bracket racing and making a whole lot of money.

Quote:

I think the wide band is a great tool.I plan on getting one some day.

That's cool......I know you like to give me a hard time (and I like giving everyone a hard time ).....Like mentioned in a LOT of threads.........I also recommend jetting for best trap speed, which will usually end up in the high 11 to mid 12 AFR range.........and make sure there aren't any lean spikes/stumbles that show up......I ALWAYS set the idle mixture for best idle and don't even really care what the A/F is......the camshaft can make the O2 show extremely lean or rich.....

The O2 is an eye opener for anyone that knows very much about motors......

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/22/12 12:23 AM

Wayne you know I have huge respect for your knowledge,thats why I ask you questions.I figure if anyone knows you will. thats a pretty impressive record of wins with not a lot of seat time. I won the majority of my bracket races in 10 and 11 second cars. won quite a few in the dragster also. even won a bunch in a bone stock ranger pick up back in 86 when my race car was broke and couldn't afford to fix it.maybe some one will take some readings and post the numbers for a consistent bracket car. the reason I want to know is that I think they wont be what people look for. just my theory.
Posted By: BiomedTechGuy

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/05/20 05:54 PM

I know I'm resurrecting a very old thread, but it was linked to me along with a few others.
I have a 70 V-code Roadrunner with a warmed over 440 6bbl, that runs strong.
One of the things I've added is a Innovate Motorsports dual wideband O2 sensor system, because I figured it would provide more information on the A/F ratio and overall direction the 3 Holley 2bbl carbs need to be tweaked to run their best.
I'm not having any problems with the overall performance, but I know that when the 3x2 Holley setup (Promax modded carbs) is tuned up they do a great job.
So I am another plus vote for wideband O2 sensors and a setup that allows for real time data via the gauge and data logging, and I think it will help improve the process of tuning the 6bbl.
Posted By: 383man

Re: The benefits of an Oxygen Sensor.......... - 01/05/20 11:42 PM

A great read for sure. Myself I grew up learning it old school in the 70's and still do not have an 02 on my 63 as I still mostly tune thw old way I learnt. But I do understand you cant beat technology and the 02 will tell you just what is going on. Course we use an 02 in my sons car since we added the Holley fuel inj. Some time down the road I should add the 02 setup to my 63 but I am very happy with how it runs now. Ron
© 2024 Moparts Forums