Diplomat360 Offline
top fuel
Diplomat360  Offline
top fuel
D

Windsor, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by Diplomat360
I am entirely with abodyjoe on this. It works, but make sure you understand how the transmission linkage needs to work, all of it!

That's the problem, most don't; perusing the posts on this board (and others) shows a decided lack of understanding of the function of the "kickdown" linkage/cable. Plus, the design and instructions of the Lokar (and its clones) don't assure a successful installation.

Many who claim to have used the Lokar as intended merely tolerate the shortcomings of it or don't know any better.

...snip...

The problem with the Lokar is that it's generic even when advertised to fit a Mopar because of the different lengths of the transmission lever.

If the generic Lokar instructions are followed and the cable adjusted so that the trans lever is full back at carb WOT you can see (simple math) that the first portion of the lever travel is already used up at idle and there's no spring to pull the lever forward.

...snip...

So, as I've repeatedly ranted, the Lokar works OK if the installer ignores the Lokar adjustment procedure and knows to match the total travel of the cable attach points and installs a spring.

...snip

Yes, totally agree. In my experience I had to literally work out these two things: the total travel at carb and the match to the trans lever (which required re-locating the mounting hole on the lever itself), as well as making provisions for introducing a return spring setup at the trans (which I managed to do by hooking up to a left-over bracket from the original rod setup - I also converted to a B&M cable shifted setup, so that freed up some room).

Anyone who's ever considered this approach or is contemplating it, absolutely save these instructions...perfect way to summarize all the different pieces that you need to account for.

The one thing I have always wondered is whether the original Mopar linkage was a non-linear linkage (due to the bell-crank travel), because the Lokar can only be linear: whatever movement happens at the carb translates to a matching distance travelled at the kickdown lever. The implication there being that the trans pressure is adjusted at different rate at lower throttle openning than at the time you dig deeper into the throttle. I do not think this is the case, but I simply do not know enough about the design of the Torqueflite hydraulic control system to know.

Thank you, very well written, appreciate the informative response!

Re: 727 kickdown cable [Re: John_Kunkel] #2699098
09/19/19 09:23 PM
09/19/19 09:23 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Thanks John, that was very helpful as I am currently going this route with my A100.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3