02/20/07 07:30 PM
02/20/07 07:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

How much was the hardener ? and how many ounces ?

if the base coats are not hard , I wonder how the harder top coat will react ?

also would be interesting to note if there is any color differnce when you add the hardener.

please get back to us with the results

Beaulieu

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26959
02/20/07 08:34 PM
02/20/07 08:34 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline OP
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline OP
pro stock

toronto canada
why would you need a hardner? Even if you sprayed it, it's dry to a touch in 2-3 hours, and can be wetsanded overnight.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26960
02/20/07 08:39 PM
02/20/07 08:39 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I don't know about that hardener. When I went to my local auto paint shop to buy hardener, they said the stuff they had (enamel hardener) would turn my enamel (rustoleum) into cottage cheese garbage. so I didn't buy any.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #26961
02/20/07 08:46 PM
02/20/07 08:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

There are other marine polyurethanes out there, petit easypoxy for example. they list some browns, but youd have to check out a color card.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=45

Thanks, I hadn't found the Pettit site. That might work.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26962
02/20/07 08:54 PM
02/20/07 08:54 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

why would you need a hardner? Even if you sprayed it, it's dry to a touch in 2-3 hours, and can be wetsanded overnight.

So that it's new and improved.

Seriously, my car is a daily driver. So I was thinking that if I could sand the paint in and hour or so, I might be able to squeeze the paint process into a weekend project. My goal would be to paint 4 or 6 coats in a day as opposed to 2 per day.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26963
02/20/07 09:36 PM
02/20/07 09:36 PM
St Andrews ,Manitoba ,Canada
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

Quote:

Quote:

So that it's new and improved.

Seriously, my car is a daily driver. So I was thinking that if I could sand the paint in and hour or so, I might be able to squeeze the paint process into a weekend project. My goal would be to paint 4 or 6 coats in a day as opposed to 2 per day.

I know you can use enamel hardner in Tremclad or Rustoleum alkyd enamel paints, it won't turn to cottage cheese. The inclusion rate is 10 %, they are a urethane enhanced hardner, designed to dry the paint harder and faster, and to give the paint more overall durability. It is used when spraying these paints in a 1 or 2 or even a 3 coat application. I am not sure if they will work with the roller method, and if it would cause problems as the paint will flash a lot quicker. I have recently seen a picture of a car, that was spray painted with XO Rust paint and hardner was added. This car is a 40 Studebaker Streetrod, it was wet sanded after 2or 3 coats and polished, it looks killer, as does Chargers and the other s vehicles that were done with Tremclad, Rustoleum or Brightside. The easiest, cheapest, simplest is to follow the recipe prescribed in this thread, you won't go wrong, hope it works out for you.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26964
02/20/07 11:46 PM
02/20/07 11:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Can anyone recommend a hardner of some type that would be compatable with Rustoleum?

I am ready to apply my last coat and want it to have maximum hardness. The prior coats did not provide the ability to keep from marring with a simple rub of my fingernail. And the prior coats have had ample time to dry since the last coat was put on in September.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

69charger

As stated above, I am looking out of despiration for a solution. Maybe the hardener will do the job of a mar free finish. Just don't know if I can roll the paint on without problems this time around.

I am tired of wet sanding!

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26965
02/21/07 10:24 AM
02/21/07 10:24 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
Quote:

69charger

As stated above, I am looking out of despiration for a solution. Maybe the hardener will do the job of a mar free finish. Just don't know if I can roll the paint on without problems this time around.

you really should'nt be wetsanding that much. My charger has about a realistic >10 hours of wetsanding total when you add all the time spent wetsanding and cleaning the car to accept the next coat. The final wetsand taking about 3-4 hours, and then the buffing/polishing stage taking about 6 hours, but that's really easy work, the buffer is doing all the work for you.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26966
02/21/07 12:17 PM
02/21/07 12:17 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a prep question. I have a couple small creases in door panels. So I pulled them out a little and am trying to smooth and straighten the panel with bondo. It's pretty straight and smooth to the touch but even with using 400 grit paper there are scratch marks and minor pitting the size of a pin head.
Do I try to eliminate these with a lite skim coat, with spot putty or are these sanding marks something the paint will cover and fill?

It really seems that I could do this minor filling and sanding forever and still have the scratches and swirls so I wonder if this is normal and filled in with paint?

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26967
02/21/07 12:27 PM
02/21/07 12:27 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I would use a skim coat with bondo + some fiberglass resin to make it thin and smooth. Let it dry for awhile. Then hit it with 180, then finish with 400.

Regular non hardened glazing putty tends to shrink, and paint I do not think will fill in pinholes with the amount being put on.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26968
02/21/07 04:31 PM
02/21/07 04:31 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

If you use the hardner, PLEASE WEAR A RESPIRATOR. Enamel hardner has isocyonates, and it's really, really nasty stuff. You can do permanent damage to your lungs breathing this stuff. Wear heavy rubber gloves too...I'm pretty sure you can absorb this stuff through your skin.
If you do use it though, let us know how it turns out...I've been wondering what a hardner would do with this process.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26969
02/21/07 10:58 PM
02/21/07 10:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Toolbox

Thanks for the heads up. Will observe your cautions.

I am anxious as to what will happen. I can see myself having to take the finish back to the gel coat if things go haywire. Six months of work down the drain.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26970
02/21/07 11:16 PM
02/21/07 11:16 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I've been searching a lot of home and hardware shops in town and wound up at the local Ace Hardware store. It turns out that they have an acrylic enamel paint, Rust Stop, that comes in a wide range of premixed colors as well as the ability to custom tint.

Direct quote from the brochure reads as: "Ace Rust Stop Enamel is ideal for use on metal. . . This card presents a palette of ready mix colors, complemented with a select sampling of custom tinted colors. See our Ace Paint color display for hundreds of additional choices."

The sales brochure features over fifty different colors and it only runs a little over twenty bucks a gallon.

Just an FYI, since so many people feel limited by Rustoleum and Brightsides color restrictions.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26971
02/22/07 12:59 AM
02/22/07 12:59 AM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
I feel your pain frontloader. for a buggy I can see a real need to be more scratch resistant than a weekend cruiser.

I tried some more scratch test on my car (with brightside). Since i've painted it, it hasn't seen temperatures above 70ish. Some areas I can not scratch at all, but in some places I can still dent the paint a bit with my nail. Hopefully after baking in my garage this summer, and finally going outside later this spring, it will all be rock hard.

don't know how many other people can comment on the hardness of brightside at this point, anyone? you may want to give brightside a shot before trying a hardener though, or at least do some brightside testing of your own and hold off on making a move on your buggy.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: Exit1965] #26972
02/22/07 10:55 AM
02/22/07 10:55 AM
Southern, Ca.
69DartGT Offline
moparts member
69DartGT  Offline
moparts member

Southern, Ca.
I had some really nice weather when I did my truck plus a few days of rain off and on.
I find the Brightside very hard and even prone to chipping if hit with something hard (don't ask) I did find a good small artist brush and brightside makes for a good touch up combo.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69DartGT] #26973
02/22/07 12:51 PM
02/22/07 12:51 PM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
exit, it must be that your in california, and the voc issue, because every car i painted with tremclad, it remained soft (as when you could dent it with your nail) for about 2 weeks, then get really hard, settling in at about 3 months it was rock hard, don't ask me either how i know!!! lets just say when i pulled into my garage with the charger, the 250ft/pd torque wrench and 6 oil filters carefully balanced on the wrench did'nt want to stay put on the top shelf 4 ft above the hood, it got ugly, i don't wanna talk about it i did'nt even look until hours later and there was not a mark, and let me tell you it hit HARD.

But the same is true with regular auto paint, thats why they even tell you not to wash your car for at least 2 weeks. I've sprayed over 10 cars (with traditional auto paints, both BC/CC and single stage) and they too remained "soft" for over a month, allthough the BC/CC seemed to reach it's total hardness after about 3 weeks to a month.

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #26974
02/22/07 04:27 PM
02/22/07 04:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Has anyone here tried using other Alkyd Enamels? I've read through most (I'd be a liar if I said all) of this thread, and I don't remember coming across this. I've been painting the inside of my 1960 Oldsmobile with Van Sickle tractor/implement enamel. It's more for rust control than anything since virtually all of it will be covered by the interior, but I'm also doing the trunk with it. I ground out the rust, and put down a coat of the primer with a brush. It flowed out pretty well...most places it looks like it was sprayed on. I also brushed most of the "New Holland Red" on, but did the roof with the same roller you guys have been using. I applied it all straight from the can. With the temperatures I'm working in (*40 and less) it takes a good week to dry. Running a small heater helps a lot, but I don't trust it enough to run it when I'm not around. here's some pics of it:

It's got a pretty amazing shine to it right out of the can. I'm just wondering if anyone else has tried to wet sand/polish this stuff... There is also a hardner sold with it (haven't tried it, but I might in the trunk since I want a really durable finish).
I've got a couple of old truck fenders I might experiment on with a roller...

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26975
02/22/07 06:32 PM
02/22/07 06:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

SO, I am still a little uncertain about what to do with the underneath side of the hood. What's everyone doing to paint the underneath side of the hood? Does rustoleum or brightside hold up well to the heat of the engine? Should I just use the high heat black engine paint or can the rustoleum or brightside handle the heat of the engine compartment?

i used rustoleum in an aerosol can. i didn't even prep my engine bay properly. i had tha engine out and removed every line, wiring, and almost every bolt. i used engine degreaser to clean tha engine bay and gave it overnight to dry. i used a total of 2 cans and 1 can of clearcoat. tha garage was very dusty and sandy. it still looks about tha same as tha week i did it. this was done about 2nd quarter of 2006. and since it's in tha engine bay, i think tha heat baked tha paint, helping it hold better.

engine bay
tha pic doesn't give it much justice, but it does look better in sunlight and after a quick wipe down with detailing wipes that i use from either megquiers or armor all.

_taF

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ #26976
02/22/07 09:30 PM
02/22/07 09:30 PM
C
C38coupe Offline
C38coupe  Offline
C

Quote from another forum!

LOL, that just reminded me of a friend of mine back when i was a teenager, when he got done and the paint dried, he had brush strokes--this was back when i was first getting involved in auto body(he told another friend of mine that he could do a better paintjob than me).now if i can quit rolling,(laughing that is) i might can read some more post.......

Hi all, here is a comment on another forum, it's an autobody forum. I initially thought these guys were open minded, as this thread, "Paint Job ON A Budget" was mentioned and some readers were impressed. Even after I posted a link to this forum and thread, I got comments like this, not even sure if this dude had enough guts to have a look at some of the results you fellas are getting with this method and the paints you have chosen. This guy even went further to say a Maaco paint job would be superior. Some people just can't think out of the box, oh well makes for some interesting banter.
My point is, I have been cruisin that forum, but I guess they are too professional to have guys like me suggesting new ideas.I had responded to someone asking for an inexpensive paint job idea or method to be done on there car at home.................. C38coupe

Re: Paint job on a budget!? CONTINUED..page 44........ [Re: C38coupe] #26977
02/23/07 10:11 AM
02/23/07 10:11 AM
toronto canada
pro stock
pro stock

toronto canada
You know c38coupe, i've been a "out of the box" thinker all my life, and have allways had resistance with my ideas, until they saw my idea work. The "professionals" will tell you that this is the stupidest idea, it won't work, all this while they have no clue what type of paint this really is, and then come up with the argument that the paint will fade and go to chalk. Meanwhile they are comparing it with their expirences, like painting a mail box with the paint, and 2 years later the paint was all faded. But they never consider what would happen if you painted that same mailbox with single stage or BC/CC and let it sit in the elements with no maintanence like waxing and washing, what do you think would happen to that paint????, i give it 6 months!!!!

My advice is not to try and convert them, WE know it works, and that the results speak for them selves. Funny how on some forums if you say how you painted you car it's automatically "crap", but if you just posted a picture of your car first without saying HOW it was painted, they all say, WOW man, AWESOME car; until they know it's done with a roller!!!! then they're like

Page 126 of 159 1 2 124 125 126 127 128 158 159